Blocked Ear..

kmb584

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help speed along the process of unblocking an ear?

A couple of days ago I woke up with the mother of all colds and cannot recall ever having one this bad before. I'm sneezing nonstop and alternate between being completely congested and my nose running like a faucet. :sad2: They're miserable symptoms but I can deal with them. My left ear being completely blocked is new to me though and I feel like someone shoved a cotton ball into my ear canal; yawning, chewing gum, blowing my nose, laying on my left side have yielded no results. I think I'm just going to have to wait it out but thought I'd check to see if anyone had any homeopathic tips!

Oh you poor thing.

One thing that helps me is to pour very hot water onto a washcloth stuffed into the bottom of a plastic cup (make sure to only dampen the cloth but not have any lose water in there that could run into your ear).

Be careful not to have it so hot that the steam can burn, but also as hot as you can comfortably take otherwise. Push the cup around the ear. The steam seems to help, and also creates a mild suction that helps the ear to clear.

I do that, then lay on my side with that ear down and it does not completely clear, but gets a bit better. Repeating it every half hour or so 4 or 5 times really seems to clear it 90%.

Oh you poor thing.

One thing that helps me is to pour very hot water onto a washcloth stuffed into the bottom of a plastic cup (make sure to only dampen the cloth but not have any lose water in there that could run into your ear).

Be careful not to have it so hot that the steam can burn, but also as hot as you can comfortably take otherwise. Push the cup around the ear. The steam seems to help, and also creates a mild suction that helps the ear to clear.

I do that, then lay on my side with that ear down and it does not completely clear, but gets a bit better. Repeating it every half hour or so 4 or 5 times really seems to clear it 90%.

Oh, thanks! I'm off to give it a try!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help speed along the process of unblocking an ear?

A couple of days ago I woke up with the mother of all colds and cannot recall ever having one this bad before. I'm sneezing nonstop and alternate between being completely congested and my nose running like a faucet. :sad2: They're miserable symptoms but I can deal with them. My left ear being completely blocked is new to me though and I feel like someone shoved a cotton ball into my ear canal; yawning, chewing gum, blowing my nose, laying on my left side have yielded no results. I think I'm just going to have to wait it out but thought I'd check to see if anyone had any homeopathic tips!

I often suffer from this as well. What I think you really need is Sudafed or the generic equivalent. In most states you have sign for it and get it behind the register. A more natural remedy that can be used in conjunction with the Sudafed is a saline nasal rinse.

I often suffer from this as well. What I think you really need is Sudafed or the generic equivalent. In most states you have sign for it and get it behind the register. A more natural remedy that can be used in conjunction with the Sudafed is a saline nasal rinse.

I bought Sudafed this morning after attributing the blocked ear to being congested. So far, no luck, but hopefully the medicine in conjunction with something else will at least lessen the blockage. I have an unopened bottle of saline spray that I can try. :thumbsup2

I've had the same thing for the past three days! I feel your pain.

I've done the cup/ear thing. I'd also recommend just laying a heated washcloth on my face/near my ear to try and alleviate the buildup in my sinuses. It helped dramatically when I had a sinus headache a few days ago.

Hope you feel better!

This used to happen to me all the time. I never could get rid of it on my own. I always used Debrox and it helped a little. But I always ended up going to the doctor and they had to flush my ear out. It was clogged with wax but always came on after a cold. You can try plugging your nose and blowing gently sometimes that helps, but never did for me! Good luck!! :goodvibes I know it's annoying!

Your Eustachian tube is probably filled with fluid. That's not the same as excess cerumen (ear wax). You can try gently massaging the area. My ENT gave me a prescription because this happens to me periodically due to an allergy. If the problem persists or is painful it is best to seek professional advice and care.

Flushing my nasal cavity with the Netti pot helps me some. I'm going to get some of those ear wax candles again though as I've had luck with them before.

I'd go to the doctor. It could be blocked or you could have a very bad ear infection. I had the same thing, ear felt like it was stuffed with cotton. Went to the doctor and she gasped when she looked in my ear. So red and swollen! Lucky my ear drum didn't rupture.

Agree.

Where I live you need a prescription to get Sudafed. Yep.

Honestly I would go see the doctor OP. You might have an infection.

Your Eustachian tube is probably filled with fluid. That's not the same as excess cerumen (ear wax). You can try gently massaging the area. My ENT gave me a prescription because this happens to me periodically due to an allergy. If the problem persists or is painful it is best to seek professional advice and care.

Yes. This happens to me every time I get a cold or my allergies bother me. I have been to the Dr many times over for it.

They always describe it as the Eustachian tubes swell and trap fluid. They tell me to take an anti-inflammatory and an allergy medication. The anti-inflammatory to bring the swelling down and the allergy meds to dry the fluid.

I hope you get some relief soon! It's the most annoying feeling ever!:sad2:

Warm salted water can help and does heal almost everything! As watm/hot as you can stand it with lots of salt is HEALING. BTW nurse here:listen:

I'd go to the doctor. It could be blocked or you could have a very bad ear infection. I had the same thing, ear felt like it was stuffed with cotton. Went to the doctor and she gasped when she looked in my ear. So red and swollen! Lucky my ear drum didn't rupture.

My exact experience. I was in sever pain though. When the Dr looked in my ear she gasped and said OH MY, you have a SEVER ear infection, that plugged up feeling you have is your ear drum and it is about to burst.

I wasn't in pain at first, it just felt like a stopped up ear and I didn't even have a cold before it.

I bought Sudafed this morning after attributing the blocked ear to being congested. So far, no luck, but hopefully the medicine in conjunction with something else will at least lessen the blockage. I have an unopened bottle of saline spray that I can try. :thumbsup2

Headed to the doctors tomorrow for the same thing. The last time, she said I had fluid in my ears and prescribed a decongestant. However, relief will not come overnight - usually takes several days to a week, sorry to say. If you just started taking Sudafed this morning - you have a ways to go.

My friend got a blocked ear for the first time in years. Turned out to be an ear infection. So definitely get it looked at.

I use a neti pot every now and then, but really don't recommend it when you are severely congested already. I always feel worse when I do. For prevention, it's great. And I thought it helped with a blocked ear from allergies when I didn't have serious nasal congestion.

I hope it clear soon for you. It really is such an annoying feeling.

Benedryl.
Better living through pharmacology.

Be very careful trying to treat it yourself, I agree you need to get it checked.

Several years ago, I had a blocked ear and was using the heated washcloths and such to try and unstop it. In the middle of the night it started hurting really bad and suddenly popped and then bled. I went to the dr. in the morning and had a small hole in my ear drum.

Now, every time I get a cold, my ear stops up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter