Blizzard or Typhoon for adults?

Disney before Sally

DIS Veteran
Is a water park a full day or half day (am or pm)?

Our party is grandmother, mom(me), and two teenagers. I'm into thrill rides, but not extremes. I love white water rafting, but have not been able to convince others to "risk their lives". To sum it up, mission space, tower of terror, space mountain, and expedition Everest are rides that two in the party are happy to avoid. We won't do the surfing or straight drop attractions. Which water park would you recommend for us?

Other than swim attire, what should we bring? Cell phones will be hard to rip out of kids' hands. Should we pack like going to beach with towels for example?

I prefer Blizzard Beach, and I don't do Summit Plummet. I would definitely bring whatever you normally bring to the beach. They don't provide towels, except to rent, and if the kids insist on bringing their phones, I would definitely rent a locker. To me, water parks are half day parks and I've always gone in the AM, but I always go in the fall, and I see from your ticker that you'll be there in mid-August, so I'm thinking it might be better to go in the afternoon because it will most likely be more crowded in the summer and I'm thinking it might start clearing out by then.

Is a water park a full day or half day (am or pm)?

Our party is grandmother, mom(me), and two teenagers. I'm into thrill rides, but not extremes. I love white water rafting, but have not been able to convince others to "risk their lives". To sum it up, mission space, tower of terror, space mountain, and expedition Everest are rides that two in the party are happy to avoid. We won't do the surfing or straight drop attractions. Which water park would you recommend for us?

Other than swim attire, what should we bring? Cell phones will be hard to rip out of kids' hands. Should we pack like going to beach with towels for example?
Both parks have good and not-so-good parks. For example, I personally enjoy the 'water-rollercoaster' (Can't remember its proper name) in Typhoon Lagoon, although I prefer Blizzard Beach's theming. The 'Teamboat Springs' attraction at Blizzard Beach is 100% one not to miss - it has enough thrill, but is suitable for all the family. If you can, visit both water parks, they are definitely worth it!

With regards to what to bring; certainly bring towels - you can rent them, but they are expensive! If you are bring valuables, such as phones, money etc., either rent a locker, or get a waterproof bag - we found this to extremely helpful for carrying around money - rather than always having to go back to the locker if you want to buy something. I would also recommend getting the refillable mugs for soft drinks - so much easier!

We last went in mid-August, and ended up going for park opening, and leaving before the storms at around 3 or 4. The midday sun can be extremely hot, but the rides definitely helped to cool off!

I prefer Blizzard Beach, and I don't do Summit Plummet. I would definitely bring whatever you normally bring to the beach. They don't provide towels, except to rent, and if the kids insist on bringing their phones, I would definitely rent a locker. To me, water parks are half day parks and I've always gone in the AM, but I always go in the fall, and I see from your ticker that you'll be there in mid-August, so I'm thinking it might be better to go in the afternoon because it will most likely be more crowded in the summer and I'm thinking it might start clearing out by then.

Thank you siskaren

Both parks have good and not-so-good parks. For example, I personally enjoy the 'water-rollercoaster' (Can't remember its proper name) in Typhoon Lagoon, although I prefer Blizzard Beach's theming. The 'Teamboat Springs' attraction at Blizzard Beach is 100% one not to miss - it has enough thrill, but is suitable for all the family. If you can, visit both water parks, they are definitely worth it!

With regards to what to bring; certainly bring towels - you can rent them, but they are expensive! If you are bring valuables, such as phones, money etc., either rent a locker, or get a waterproof bag - we found this to extremely helpful for carrying around money - rather than always having to go back to the locker if you want to buy something. I would also recommend getting the refillable mugs for soft drinks - so much easier!

We last went in mid-August, and ended up going for park opening, and leaving before the storms at around 3 or 4. The midday sun can be extremely hot, but the rides definitely helped to cool off!

Thank you WDWFantasmicFan

My DD13 that will be DD14 has selected blizzard beach, so we all agree. How often does that happen?

Teamboat Springs at BB is way, way, way better than the family raft ride at TL. At TL, we really like Crushin Gusher (the previously mentioned water coaster). We were there in June with hours to 8:00 pm. We found both water parks REALLY clear out after 6:00. Actually, we've found this to be true of water parks pretty much everywhere. You can get a ton done in those last couple of hours, though we pretty much make a whole day of it :)

At the water parks, they sell these lanyards that are water resistant boxes. They're pretty cheap at the gift shop, like $7 or so. We carry cash, credits cards, id, and our tickets in them. We leave the cell phones in the car. We leave everything else at the chairs unattended all day, no one has ever touched it... towels, sunscreen, cooler with snacks and drinks, etc.

LanyardWallet500.gif

I have a water proof cell phone pouch that looks like those in the picture you shared. I also have a clutch/purse size water proof bag I have taken white water rafting. I need to find these and put them in my Disney packing box.

I went to one of these water parks at Disney in the eighties or early nineties. I found a map of Disney with Dixie Landings Resort (my previous home) and only Blizzard Beach was on the map. Funny that I do not recall the Blizzard theming. Maybe it was completely changed, replaced like Dixie Landings.

Thank you for all the help. I'm wondering what you do with the refill mug when you get on rides. I guess you drink fast and leave it in the locker?

I have a water proof cell phone pouch that looks like those in the picture you shared. I also have a clutch/purse size water proof bag I have taken white water rafting. I need to find these and put them in my Disney packing box.

I went to one of these water parks at Disney in the eighties or early nineties. I found a map of Disney with Dixie Landings Resort (my previous home) and only Blizzard Beach was on the map. Funny that I do not recall the Blizzard theming. Maybe it was completely changed, replaced like Dixie Landings.

Thank you for all the help. I'm wondering what you do with the refill mug when you get on rides. I guess you drink fast and leave it in the locker?
With regards to the refillable mugs, we just left them with our stuff at the sunbeds etc. - Just tuck them under the bed and they will not go walkabouts! In the summer though, we found it was a good idea to put a towel over the top when not in use, at sometimes it seemed to attract wasps.

If you are going to do BB I highly suggest going in the morning. The line for the ski lift and some of the rides get really really long. On our last trip we did Animal Kingdom and wore our swim suits under our clothes, we went right from there to BB and the line for the ski lift was already at the 45 minute to hour mark. There were plenty of places with shade for the afternoon heat. If you are lucky enough for an afternoon without storms the crowds will still start to thin around 2 or so.

We typically do get a locker just to be safe but the few items we have left some of our things out, we have never had an issue.

Blizzard Beach opened in 1995 (I know because I have a commemorative pin) and has always had the ski resort theming; Typhoon Lagoon opened before BB. The theming at Dixie Landings wasn't changed, only the name.

Blizzard Beach opened in 1995 (I know because I have a commemorative pin) and has always had the ski resort theming; Typhoon Lagoon opened before BB. The theming at Dixie Landings wasn't changed, only the name.

I think I was confused between the two water parks. Hope I did not upset you too much. Typhoon Lagoon was the only one of the two on the map, and Dixie Landings (next to Port Orleans) was to Open January 1992. I moved from living in Florida in 03/1999, so maybe I was at Typhoon which would explain why I did not remember the theming. However - I must have been able to go to either between 1995 and 1999.

But in my opinion, Dixie Landings is gone. The feel there was so much different; it was swampier and you could not keep from hearing frogs singing at night.

Last edited:
If you are going to do BB I highly suggest going in the morning. The line for the ski lift and some of the rides get really really long. On our last trip we did Animal Kingdom and wore our swim suits under our clothes, we went right from there to BB and the line for the ski lift was already at the 45 minute to hour mark. There were plenty of places with shade for the afternoon heat. If you are lucky enough for an afternoon without storms the crowds will still start to thin around 2 or so.

We typically do get a locker just to be safe but the few items we have left some of our things out, we have never had an issue.

This is exactly my plan..AK in the morning with extra magic hour and BB on the way back. We will be done at AK by 10:30. Bus from AK to BB, which is normal stop on way back to Beach Club (open for correction). BB hours are 9 am-6pm this day in August. I have dinner reservations at 6:40 at Cape May back home. I'm thinking we will carry change of clothes in Animal- or are there lockers there? I doubt we will pack four towels from home due to luggage space, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, should I push the seafood buffet dinner back later than 6:40? We will want to ride everything, excluding the kid park, teen park, wave pool, and maybe the lazy river only if we run out of time. We won't be scoping sun chairs (aside from maybe one) or hanging out at the "beach" at the water park. Thank you for your thoughts.

Whichever you choose, I recommend going right at opening. We have had good luck with that even on crowded days. We do everything that gets a big line then save the wave pool/bobbing pool/lazy river (stuff with no lines) for when it gets more crowded. Like someone else said, the family raft ride is way better at BB. We actually avoid the one at TL now because last time our float banged HARD into one of the artificial rocks. Enough to knock my son over from his sitting position in the raft, causing him to hit his hand pretty hard. BB's family ride also loads really quickly because they load multiple parties into one raft. If you want to ride the ski lift, make sure you do it shortly after opening. It loads slow so the line backs up fast.

You really can't go wrong with either park but I prefer BB.

I would also recommend BB over TL. Both are great, but I enjoyed the theming better at BB, and Teamboat Springs really is a not-to-miss slide. They both have their similarities, like the "lazy river" and the wave pools, but both are are slightly different in their offerings.

There are lockers for rent at AK so if you wanted to bring a change of clothes with you, you wouldn't have to carry them around all day. I also wouldn't bother with towels, they've got them at the water parks.

I think you'll be ok with that amount of time, but depending on lines and buses it's hard to say. Maybe see if you can push your ADR back a little bit, just to give you more wiggle room so you're not rushing from one place to the next as much.

As for things to bring to the water park - a waterproof camera would be a great thing to have, and also one of those waterproof cases that were pictured earlier is also handy to have. That way you can keep your important personal stuff - credit cards, cash, ID's - with you at all times. Water shoes are a good idea too, if you've got them already.

I think you'll enjoy whatever park you decide to go to, especially where you're going at such a hot time of the year. :)

Can you use the magic band for locker rentals/towel rentals/merch/food purchases in Blizzard Beach? Also, debating Yak and Yeti or Avalunch if you have any opinions to share.

: o )

We personally hated BB. We wont go back. There was way too much climbing/carrying tubes, it was so exhausting. It really turned us off. Plus I didnt like their tiny wave pool. We always do TL instead. Its a lot more fun. We LOVE the wave pool. The waves are turned on every 15 minutes...so 15 min of waves, 15 min of reg swimming and so on. We love the lazy river (both BB & TL have them). We also love swimming with the sharks...water is chilly but its so much fun!

We always rent towels, its so much easier to leave them behind rather than carry around heavy wet towels. Theyre not very expensive.

We find that the water park is more of a half day park for sure. We go around opening time and leave by 2pm.

We only went to BB once because after that we fell in love with TL. DH and I are going without kids this next trip. He can stay in the wave pool for hours. I like to do crush n' gusher at least once. I won't wait more than 15 minutes for any water ride. I do like the lazy river but not if it's too crowded--feet in the face are not my thing.
The best thing I remember about BB was the family raft ride which is much better than TL. I did Summit Plummet once for the experience and had a heck of a wedgie.
Daisyx3

Can you use the magic band for locker rentals/towel rentals/merch/food purchases in Blizzard Beach? Also, debating Yak and Yeti or Avalunch if you have any opinions to share.

: o )
Exactly what I was going to say. Link your credit card to your MagicBand to make it easy on yourself. You can buy merchandise and food with your MagicBand. I'm not sure about the locker or towel rental though. Even if you need cash to rent things, you can put your wallet in your locker and use your MagicBand for the rest of the day.
I love both BB & TL. I'm sure you will enjoy either one or both if you have the means. Aside from bringing towels, it's a good idea to bring cheap flip flops that you can wear as you walk around the park. You can leave them near the slide exits and go barefoot while you ride. The concrete gets very hot in the Florida sun and tends to feel like walking on hot coals!

Last edited:
At Blizzard Beach: Is Runoff Rapids on the Red Slope the only slide that requires you to carry the tubes from the exit to the entrance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter