Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon

mulanrouge

Mouseketeer
I have not seen many posts about the waterparks. But I had a couple of questions my ds is 8 and dd is 4 and neither can swim extremely well (although they are comfortable with life jackets). First of all, are you allowed to wear life jackets on the slides? Are you allowed to go down together? What are people's opinions about which would be better Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? I am worried about if this would be worth it for kids who don't know how to swim very well. Help! Thanks.

Youir kids can wear lifejackets at both waterparks and they have them there for you to use mind you we prefer to take our own for the younger ones. Not to sure about using them on the slides but the water at the bottom of just about every slide is very shallow with the exception of one set of slides I am sure it will be fine though as you rise on tubes for all but 2 slides anyhow. BB has the better kids area and way better slides we did Typhoon this last trip because BB was closed for refurb and it was very boring in comparison to BB.

I have to agree that Blizzard Beach is better for younger kids. We normally travel in January which until last year we only went to Typhoon Lagoon. The wave pool at Typhoon lagoon is much rougher, fun for older kids, but frightening for little ones. My kids had a blast at Blizzard Beach and really preferred it.

msmere

We have never been to Typhoon Lagoon, so I can't comment on it. However, we love BB. I have a daughter who is challenged, and I am very protective of her. We were able to ride together on all we did. Mind you, I didn't take her on the scarier rides. We rode together on a big blue tube with a bottom, down a hill we took the lift up to. She loved it. It went so fast, she lost her hat on it. It floated downstream as I was getting out of the tube. We also rode together on another ride we took the lift up to. It was shaped like a figure 8 and we put our butts in the holes. Down we rushed on it. Great. Of course we rode the lazy creek that circled the park. And the beach park was nice with some of the waves. Sorry I don't remember the names of these rides. We spent a full day there. We are non swimmers, and don't spend a lot of time laying in the sun.

The kiddie area at BB is excellent. They have lifegaurds at the top of the little tube rides to put your child on and one waiting directly at the bottom to get them. My 4yr old cousin had a blast.

We've only been to Typhoon, loved it there but we would like to try Blizzard Beach. In all the pics I've seen, they only show the rides. Does this waterpark also have a beach like typhoon? somewhere to sit by the water and relax?

thanks

Yes it has a large wavepool just like TL mind you the waves are quite a bit smaller than TL which makes it a little more kid friendly.

Do you have to bring your own towels to either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon? Or can you rent towels there? If so, does anyone know how much it costs?

Thanks!

BTW, my kids and I prefer Blizzard Beach, although Typhoon Lagoon is great too. BB has more slides and the water area with the floating ice floes is neat! But I like the snorkelling area at Typhoon Lagoon and their wave pool is awesome!

My family loves waterparks, so we've been to both of them (more than once!) For younger kids, I'd definitely recommend Blizzard Beach. My DD (now 8) loved the kids' area when she was younger, and the family slides are better as well.

However, she's now much more daring and loves the "surf waves" (6 feet high every 90 seconds) at Typhoon Lagoon.

Towel rental is $1.00 at both parks.

Have a great time!

Arlene

Word of advice, you can buy refilable mugs like the ones at the resorts and they are good for both water parks. My kids prefer BB and they are both teenagers.

The refill mugs at the waterparks are larger than the resort ones and only good for that day. They work with a barcode scanner at the filling station well worth the money IMHO.

Darren

But you can (or used to be able to) buy just the "refill" code if you already have a mug. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter