Blind 4 year old

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
My 4 year old son has multiple disabilities including blindness. What attractions would be most appropriate for him? I did a thead search but couldn't find what I needed. Thanks, Karen

When you say "blindness", is this total or does he have any (although mabe very limited) vision?

Does he have any physical limitations? You mentioned other disabilities and blindness.

My daughter was 4 when we first brought her to WDW. She does not have blindness, but, there were certain rides that she enjoyed at her age.

She really liked rides that glided up and down. Triceratops Spin (AK), Aladin's Magic Carpet and Dumbo were all rides that would 'Thrill' but not scare a 4 year old. She also liked feeling of the Peter Pan ride which is a flying type sensation. I think these would be ok for someone with blindness and also being 4. The Winnie the Pooh ride you can hear and sense the different environments as the honey pots move, this may also be a good one. She did not like the Tea Cups, all that spinning really got to her.

If he likes a more thrilling sensation, then Barnstormer might be a good ride. This was our daughters first roller coaster ride and she loved it. She has visual integration issues so I know she did not experience a lot visually on that ride as it was too fast and she had her head on my husbands chest.

Tomorrow Land, has the Speedway, the Transit Authority Train and Astro Orbiter, all three would be good.

Since I do not have blindness nor do any of my children, I am trying to visualise this from the age standpoint and thinking if I had my eyes closed how would it feel.. I also know how my then 4 year old reacted and has multiple disabilites so that is all I can go on. I hope I helped a little.

Alize has CP and is wheelchair bound. He would not be able to hold on to things himself but I could hold him. He also has profound MR so I think what would interest him most are things that involve sensations. I really appreciate any input whatsoever.:thanks: Karen

As to his blindness, it is called CVI which basically means that his eyes can see but don't communicate properly with his brain.

My son is CVI as well and is 5 years old. He definitely has some useable vision though. Anyways, some things that I found- he hates characters up close- they scare him. But he loves the parades- he sees things that are moving much better than things that are stationary, which is common for kids with CVI. My son still has a fairly strong startle reflex to loud noise or unexpected touch (common for kids with CP) so a lot of the 3-D movies were not good for him (Tough to Be a Bug he hated) but he did like Philharmagic but I don't think he really saw much of it- just liked the sounds. With rides, we try to ride 2x in a row on rides that have a lot of visual input (like most of the Fantasyland rides)- sometimes we get off and back in line and sometimes they will offer to let us ride again since it is so difficult to transfer him on to the ride. Anyways, it seems like the 1st time seeing something he doesn't process it but the second time he sees it better. His favorite ride is Buzz Lightyear- he also loves Test Track but he is a thrill seeker! Does your son like spinning? My son loves the input of spinning so spinning rides are his favorite- Dumbo, Teacups, that type of thing. But I find that these are the hardest to hold him up on. My son didn't recognize any of the princesses or characters that don't wear masks- he wasn't afraid of them, he just doesn't get that they are a character, even when he loves the movie (like Little Mermaid). Playhouse Disney has lots of bright colors and my son loved the bubbles- I think wheelchair seating might be in the back though- we always transfer him out and get there early to sit up close.
Oh, I know something else I almost forgot- we learned to bring something for my son to play with/look at when pushing him in crowds- a bunch of "booties" in his face and crowded close to him was very overwhelming to him- but if he has a light-up spinny toy to look at, he does much better. Oh, and he HATES fireworks- I don't think he even gets what people are looking at- he just hears the loud noise and starts screaming. The thunder/lightning part of Haunted Mansion scares him too. Oh, and they shoot a gun on the Jungle Cruise- that bothers him. But the gunshots on Pirates don't- who knows? Is your son sensitive about noises? I think because of his vision issues and the CP, my son really fears sudden, loud noises but if I warn him ahead of time and talk him through it, he is ok.
Hope that helps. You may just have to try things and see what he likes and doesn't like and then try to see what the common link is- that's what has worked for us. Hey, one positive thing- my son doesn't see any of the toys or treats in the store unless you point them out to him so at least we don't have to deal with begging or tantrums about that!

In Epcot:
Journey Into Imagination is fun (an effect may cause a startle reflex)-it has a wheelchair car

The Living Seas would be good. It has a fun show Turtle Talk, a wheelchair accessible ride, an interactive area with things to feel (Bruces Shark World), and an aquarium

There's a wheelchair accessible boat ride in Mexico and several different singing groups.

Not sure how he is with fireworks but Illuminations is great with music being half the enjoyment

In Animal Kingdom:

There are several feeling activities (animal skulls) at Rafiki's Planet Watch and the boneyard in Dinoland

Festival of the Lion King is a must. The Nemo show looks good. Several of the trails have things to feel and the opportunity to touch animals

MGM
is mostly shows
Beauty and the Beast has a lot of singing and there are wheelchair seats right up front.
Voyage of the Little Mermaid has some physical effects
The Great Movie Ride is fun and wheelchair accessible but might be a bit old

Magic Kingdom
I definitely recommend Winnie the Pooh-it has a wheelchair car
Mickey's Philharmagic is 3D but the music and dialogue is great and has many physical effects from air puffs, wate, & smell
Peter Pan's flight is awesome
The Tiki room has fun music & the objects are close up
it's a small world would be good-has wheelchair car
I haven't been on a lot of the Fantasyland rides but they are geared for younger kids
Country Bear Jamboree's wheelchair seats are right up front and it is cute music

Wishes is an awesome fireworks display and the music and narration are half the story.

Is this Alize from tracheostomy.com???

--Christamae

Hi, Christamae, yep that's my boy. Karen:laughing:

Mommyandmore, yes, Alize startles easily. It's hard to know if he sees at all due to the MR.

The information so far is great, please keep it coming. Karen

My DD has low vision so I'm just going on what she said.

At the end of Journey into Imagination there are lots of hands on sensory things. Lot involve music making.

The play areas are lots of fun too. The boneyard at AK, the Honey I Shrunk the Kids at MGM, Poohs at MK (we are to big for this one).

Hope you guys have fun!

i'm pretty sure wdw has the winnie the pooh ride i would think that would be good how it is bright colors and the car rocks

I think the above posters have beaten me to this, but I'll reiterate that there are a lot of good shows and attractions that rely heavily on the music. Small World, Playhouse Disney, Country Bear Jamboree etc should all be great for you guys. On some rides, such as Pirates and Snow White, he might need someone to give him a running commentary, just so he knows what's going on and what the noises (e.g. cannon fire) mean.

Good luck, have a great time and let us know how you went when you get back :thumbsup2

i'm pretty sure wdw has the winnie the pooh ride i would think that would be good how it is bright colors and the car rocks
::yes::
You are right.
The Pooh ride is very nice and actually has a car that a wheelchair can be loaded onto. The car has a switch that can turn the movement on or off (gentle rocking during the 'floody' part, bouncing during the Tigger part). In his case, you would want it on.
herodrx1 said:
At the end of Journey into Imagination there are lots of hands on sensory things. Lot involve music making.
That's an excellent one.
One part has squares on the carpet that activate different sounds as you go over them. You can drive his wheelchair over and it will activate the sounds. My DD likes to make a crazy path (not a stratight line) which would be more sensorty input for him.

Another part has music that you can activate and change by moving your hands up and down over a sensor. That is wheelchair accessible and if he can't move his arms, you can move them for him.

Lots of good suggestions and I don't really have much to add.

Although vision impairment is not one of our challenges, my DS and DH have other challenges that I have been concerned about. I have frequented this site and others. Yesterday I noticed that Allears added a new link for special needs travelers with vision impairment. There is a little "New" icon next to it. I hope the trip is magical for your entire family!

My little boy has many disabilities aswell. He cannot see, he has severe CP, and is in a wheelchair. We took him last year when he was three. He is very sensitive to loud, sudden noises. He loved the Peter Pan ride, the Winnie the Pooh ride, and Living with the Land (in Epcot). In Epcot they also have a little ride in Mexico, behind the resturant. He really liked it. It has drum sounds, but they are not loud or overwhelming. He liked Pirates, but you have to really prepare the child for the cannon. The ride has a lot of wind in it; he really like those sensations. He hated all of the shows! Every single one has some part where a character is angry and yells or has some big loud boom. Fantasmic and Bug's Life were the worst for him. They were very loud. In Ariel, we had to leave in the very begining because King Triton yells so loud it shakes the building. It really upset him. Resturantasaurous in Animal Kingdom was very loud. The resturant echoed really bad and the music was very loud. The type of chairs they have in there make a really bad clanging sound. At lunch time that can be a bit overwhelming. None of the other resturants bothered him. Make sure up bring something to cover the wheelchair seat part. It can get kinda hot. Little battery powered fans are a good idea, also a misty mate. Misty mates work better than the fans with a mister because the fans spray so fast then can startle you, where the misty mate spray slow and soft. If you can find a shade to bring that will fit the wheelchair that will help you alot. Make sure you know where the baby changing station are. They can be your best friend. They are nice to get out of the heat. They also have bigger places to change a larger child, not just the little plastic or metal things like in the bath rooms. It is much more peaceful in the changing rooms. You can get a letter from your doctor stating a reason that your child cannot wait in long lines because of there disability and take it to guest relations. They will give you a card the will help you in some of the lines. For $10 extra, you can request a preferred area of the hotel you are staying in and get close to the front so that you don't have as far to go. Make sure you let them know you have a disabiled child when you book. Also in the lines for the buses, they have a separate line for wheelchairs and they load you first, so it is easier on the child and cuts down on some of the wait time. It is very important not to go during peak times!!! If you are interested in characters, it is easiest to either go to a character dinner or go where characters are going to be in groups on a regular time schedule. Trying to catch them in the park is very time consuming and can get very hot. Hope this help you and your family. Have fun!!! :)

Brandylane83,

I just have to say that is one of the best posts I have EVER seen on the DISboards EVER! (and I have actually been on the DIS since 1997 when we only had one board) It was simple, precise, and helpful.

Good job!

Jaymie

Karen ( the original poster),

I would really have nothing more to add after the above posts. However, I felt bad responding to another person on your post without acknowledging you. However,.....

In my former (pre-mom) life, I taught children that had Severe/Profound Disabilties along with medically fragile conditions. Several of "my" kids had CVI. I do remember that changes in temperature were things that they noticed by showing physical/ visual changes (smiles/ wiggles). That being said, the Pooh ride at Magic Kingdom has temperature changes and movement changes along with the music.

Good luck on your trip! I wish you all the best. If you ever need to "sound off" a bit I would be more than happy to talk to you!

Jaymie

brandylane83. Wow and thanks. You've been there. Your post is a lot of help for me. Karen:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter