Blackrapid and tripod quick release plates

elmoandzoey

DIS Veteran
I have to get a new camera strap since my little devil decided to try a pair of scissors on my well loved Crumpler strap. I am thinking about giving Blackrapid and the likes a go again by attaching the strap to the tripod mount. My only problem with that is that the tripod mount is then occupied and I always will have to take off the strap to put on the quick release plate for the tripod. That pretty much has turned me off from getting such a strap in the first place.

I am wondering how others do it? I have googled a fair bit and the only solution I found was mounting the plate to the camera and a quick release clamp (e.g. the Kirk QRC1) to the strap. Then hook both together and you are good to go. When you need the camera on the tripod, just open the clamp and attach the camera to the tripod. As often as I have found people recommending that I have found people not recommending that because the clamp came loose and the camera fell. I was thinking about using a tether anyway to prevent just that in case anything came loose for whatever reason but I am not sure if I really like that solution.

Maybe there are any arca swiss compatible plates that come with an option to attach a strap and I just can't find them?

I use the Manfrotto RC2 plates, and they have a special adapter to use on a plate (only guaranteed compatible with Manfrotto RC2, but I'm sure will work with others) where the attachment folds flat, and have never had trouble with them coming lose or dropping my camera at all. I simply unhook the strap, fold the D-ring flat, and drop my camera on a tripod.

Also, yes, there are arca plates that have attachments for generic straps. Kirk and RRS both do, depending on what body you have.

The Manfrotto ring does not fit with Arca Swiss plates. Blackrapid makes a similar, fold down connector for the Manfrotto plates but they simply do not fit on any other plates than Manfrotto. They have their own (non-Arca Swiss) system. Hence my asking...

I have seen Kirk and RRS plates that you can thread the end of a regular strap through (in fact, I own one of those), but I have not seen a plate that I can screw the ring in or attach the carabiner to. That's what I am looking for. Not sure if it exists though.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a BR strap (also use a tether) and need a better system to attach to my tripod. Pictures, or links to pictures, would be a huge help, as I get lost with some of the descriptions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter