• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Black Bear at Emerald Island

sas_mk

Mouseketeer
We stayed in a nice 8 bedroom home this last week in the Emerald Island Resort and were super surprised about the "resident" black bear that apparently liked to hang out near the home.

Every night, our garbage can was tipped over and garbage was all over the yard. We saw a few raccoons near the start of our trip, so we figured it was just some raccoons making all of the mess.

Then, one night, we went out to put something in our car and saw a black bear digging through the garbage. The next night, we arrived back home to see the black bear again. We snapped this picture (horrible quality -- I know).

Anyway, I guess it isn't anything major to worry about, but from my neck of the woods it was definitely a different experience! :thumbsup2

Wow. We had black bears in the Colorado mountains but I have not heard of them around Orlando. They should definitely have bear safety procedures posted regarding trash as that bear will end up being euthanized if he doesn't stop getting in to trash.

We were at Paradise Palms last year and went for a late evening walk down Westside. We were pretty surprised when a coyote slunk out of the woods. So when we got back we looked on Google Earth and were amazed at how much open forest there is in that area. I bet there are tons of wild animals. We heard a lot of noise in the dark woods and we walked much more quickly after it got dark out. :)

I do hope that Emerald Island work with all of the owners to get trash cans with a locking mechanism to keep the bears (and raccoons) out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter