Bizzare Foods at WDW?

UncleFester

Earning My Ears
OK. Never been to WDW and am heading to it next August. I'm interested in some of the most "bizarre" type foods at the parks and resorts. What restaurants are there that when you look at the menu you think to yourself, "What is that?" or "I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole."

My wife has pretty much narrowed down what she's interested in, but is more of a Americana meat and potatoes gal and my daughter follows in her footsteps. But I like to take steps on the "wild" side.;) Maybe I have a secret man crush on Andrew Zimmern... but I'm interested in "the bizarre". Any and all comments welcome.

Thank you.

P.S. Will also be in Nassau for a day while on the Disney Dream Cruise. Any accessible restaurants with "bizarre" menu fare?

Good luck with that. I think in general, the menus have been pretty much streamlined to cater to the picky eaters of the world. I don't think there's anything there that's too extraordinary, but that's JMO, of course. Perhaps the food and wine festival may have something that's a little unusual, but I've not had the opportunity to visit during it.

Hmmm, well it depends on what you consider bizarre. I can't think of anything off-hand that is Zimmern worthy.

But....there are restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin that may work for your quest within the WDW universe. Todd English's bluezoo has octopus, while Kimono has octopus, eel and squid. I'm not sure any of these are bizarre.

Yachtman has escargots.

In general, I guess I'd look at Epcot menus and/or Table Service restaurants. Tokyo Dining has eel, for instance. Maybe Rose & Crown's Scotch Egg (too bad there's no haggis there).

And I think Lefse, available at Norway's Kringla, is an acquired taste. Doesn't taste like much to me.

I know a lot of people think tofu is weird (I don't), but they have good dishes at Hollywood Brown Derby and Kona Cafe.

For dessert, there's the Doh-Bar at Cookes of Dublin at DTD, a fried candy bar. Very state fair.

Yeah, I may be out of ideas. I can think of lots of Disney cult foods - 1900 Park Fare's strawberry soup, Norway's schoolbread, Yak & Yeti's fried wontons - but not so many bizarre foods.

I'm sure other people have better ideas. Let us know what you decide!

Artist Point has buffalo steak.... not exactly "bizarre" BUT definitely not something you can find at every restaurant.

I remember getting fried fried plantains as a side at ABC Commisary about 8 years ago and my DW and I thought we living on the edge. Back then I wouldn't touch hummus with a ten foot pole, either. What is bizarre to me might be a weekly menu item for someone raised on another culture.

I think the new pizza burger at Cosmic Rays or the hotdog burger at Sci Fi are pretty bizarre but not in a good way.

In Nassau, its not bizarre, but the Tortuga Rum Cake Facotry is a must do for us with free tastings.

Disney has simplified the entire menu to cow tow to the most boring midwestern blah meat and potatoes menu. Sure there are few exciting side sauces and a few unique veggies, but by in large you find the same boring chicken, beef, pasta and shrimp on almost every single menu. Even at the "authentic" country restaurants in Epcot they have Americanized the menu to appease the masses.

Your best bet for something different is the signature dining restaurants, but even then it is still pretty run of the mill.

I saw a post recently that mentioned alligator sausage. Now I can't seem to locate it.... grrrrrr :confused3

Thanks for all of the replies. While not necessarily 'bizarre" there are some good looking menus. The menu offered from Victoria Alberts looked AMAZING. I do love me some truffle. :)

Boma has some of the more interesting buffet items on property, IMO. I would recommend both Sanaa and Jiko for some other taste treats for your palette. There are some things that might appeal to you and some other more mainstream things for your wife and daughter. None are too out there, but might be out of the ordinary to you. Good luck.

What I found real unusual was the steak that was served with a side of macaroni and cheese. :laughing:

I mean: really?? Is it normal to combine those two in the US??
I certainly isn't here!:rotfl:

cinnamon covered chocolate mouse at boma GROSE!
raglan road had blood sausage, it was really weird

What I found real unusual was the steak that was served with a side of macaroni and cheese. :laughing:

thats dinner almost everynight here! mac and cheese goes with everything:)

While they have "mainstreamed" the entrees at Akershus, the buffet still has some of the best food in Epcot and if your wife is very white bread, this will be "weird". I HIGHLY recommend the pickled herring and the "caramel" cheese.

In Nassau, while I would not consider it bizzarre, I would recommend you try conch fritters and also conch ceviche. There is a restaurant in town (aptly named Conch Fritters) which serves these as well as a fantastic fried chicken. :)

thats dinner almost everynight here! mac and cheese goes with everything:)

Precisely what I am talking about when the menus have been streamlined....

In Nassau, while I would not consider it bizzarre, I would recommend you try conch fritters and also conch ceviche. There is a restaurant in town (aptly named Conch Fritters) which serves these as well as a fantastic fried chicken. :)

we just tried some conch fritters when we visited key west last month, YUM!!

Turkey Legs - ok, maybe not bizarre unless you pass one around and share it with several others. (which I've seen many times...ewwww.) But I definitely wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, that's for sure.

But to answer your question a little more seriously, I did some perusing around the menus this was about the most interesting item I could find - from Yachtsman: Charcuterie Board: Smoked Duck Sausage, Venison Terrine, Black and Blue Beef Tartare, Artisanal Cheese, and Accoutrements (I also wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole!)

I'll follow that up with saying that most of the signature restaurants have some more adventurous, exotic preparations of normal/typical ingredients. And I'm still trying to figure out what an "airline chicken breast" is (from Artist Point.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter