Birthday Trip - Ideas Please!

MelDane

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are taking our daughter to WDW for her 6th birthday :bday: We are looking for ideas to make her birthday trip really fun for her. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to make a 5/6 yr old super happy on her birthday??

We have done BBB a few times. We've never done a dessert party though... I did hear that there is a Wishes cruise now. We might look into that!

FOR SURE get the button that says it's her b-day. TONS Of people will wish her a happy b-day. Can you do a special character dinner on her b-day? Just make sure whenever you eat you let them know it's your daughters b-day and let the resort know you are celebrating a b-day. Sometimes there are magical things that can happen!!

If you have restaurant ressies, definitely call in advance and say it's her birthday. Sometimes they'll give her little cupcake or, once, I got a rose. There are in-room celebrations or gift baskets you can make via Disney Floral and Gifts. You can make her a little sash that says "Birthday Princess" or something, and even get her a small crown locally and then hide it away in your bags. If she likes girly things and you have money to spare, get her into one of the Afternoon Tea places-- there is the Garden view Lounge and there is also one oriented for kids with Alice and the Mad Hatter. You can also arrange for small, pre-made birthday cakes at certain restaurants (it's on the Disney Floral site I think, or you can call them) which they will bring to your table for dessert, so it'll be just like a little surprise when the servers bring it out. Don't know if they sing or not, but you guys always can! (Personally, if I ever hear people singing Happy Birthday almost anywhere I join in and clap wildly. XD) If you talk to the front desk people at your resort, they might also be able to arrange a special phone call from Mickey wishing her a happy birthday! We once spontaneously got a call telling us happy anniversary and I can tell you from experience that it was the most thrilling, magical thing to happen to me and DH.

I know your little girl with have a wonderful time with such thoughtful parents taking care of her on her special day.

Best of luck!
- G

Any chance she likes pirates? We did the pirate fireworks cruise at the Contemporary and my daughter loved it.

I've done wishes dessert party and pirate and pals cruise and of the two I would definitely go with the wishes dessert party. We did not like the view of the fireworks from the boat AT ALL and felt it was a huge waste of money.

Are you wanting to do some stuff yourself at all? I was looking into the Disney floral in room celebrations and couldn't believe their prices so I have decided to do one myself. I bought a beautiful tiara from a store that sells prom jewelry and then got a small satin pillow to put it on. Then I bought gifts from dd's favorite princesses and wrapped them in the princesses corresponding colors. Then I got a jar of gold glitter so I can make a trail of pixie dust from the gifts to the window because the fairies are delivering the gifts to our room for the princesses along with a typed up birthday note. My dd will be 7 on our next trip and she is still totally into all this stuff so I know she is going to love it.

From Ariel an official Disney mermaid gown that I got at the Disney outlet for 26 bucks, wrapped in sea green and purple with a seashell on it. From Sleeping Beauty a pink velvet princess cape from mom approved costumes website wrapped in pink with a pink rose and ribbon. From Belle two books about princess bedtime stories and how to be a princess wrapped in gold with a red rose. From Snow White a crystal apple (actually a paperweight on amazon lol) wrapped in blue with red ribbon and little yellow birds I found at Michaels. From Cinderella a silver heart shaped jewelry box engraved to say Princess Sophia with a star necklace inside that says Sophia's Wishing Star so she can make wishes whenever she wants, wrapped in silver with a sparkly light blue ribbon and a silver butterfly on top. The necklace and jewelry box were ordered online from Things Remembered. I spent less than half of what Disney floral wants and made the gifts much more personalized imo.

I can't wait for our trip!! There are so many different things you could do from the princesses, a new hairbrush from Rapunzel, swim goggles or a beach towel from Ariel, a satin pillow from Sleeping Beauty, you can really take this idea and run with it to make it whatever you want it to be. I've been collecting this stuff for about a year now and getting things that were on sale. The wrapping paper is tissue paper from a party supply store so I could get all the different colors cheaply. Have fun!

Last edited:
I also highly recommend a personalized cake. I used the info from the cake chatter thread here on the dis to order a bday cake for my mom's 60th bday on our last trip and it was so beautiful and soooo delicious. Definitely ordering a cake again for dd's bday.

One last thought- pick a pearl in Japan in Epcot. I already bought Cinderella carriage pearl cage necklaces from etsy for our next trip, they were only 8 bucks each. Picking the oyster is a fun experience if you haven't done it yet and not at all expensive unless you get an expensive setting.

thank you everyone for the suggestions on how we can make it a magical trip

From Ariel an official Disney mermaid gown that I got at the Disney outlet for 26 bucks, wrapped in sea green and purple with a seashell on it. From Sleeping Beauty a pink velvet princess cape from mom approved costumes website wrapped in pink with a pink rose and ribbon. From Belle two books about princess bedtime stories and how to be a princess wrapped in gold with a red rose. From Snow White a crystal apple (actually a paperweight on amazon lol) wrapped in blue with red ribbon and little yellow birds I found at Michaels. From Cinderella a silver heart shaped jewelry box engraved to say Princess Sophia with a star necklace inside that says Sophia's Wishing Star so she can make wishes whenever she wants, wrapped in silver with a sparkly light blue ribbon and a silver butterfly on top. The necklace and jewelry box were ordered online from Things Remembered. I spent less than half of what Disney floral wants and made the gifts much more personalized imo.

Ruthie , I love this! ! I've been looking for ideas for our trip in May, for my niece Sophia's 5th birthday. Not sure she needs more costumes, but I love the books and jewelry box and necklace.

This will be our second year celebrating my son's birthday at Disney! Last time we got a button that said it was his birthday and he loved having everyone tell him Happy Birthday! we didn't do character dining but we did order a cake from publix and have dinner at a downtown disney restaurant one evening. This year I am hoping to find a local cake decorator to get a character themed cake. We have waited a little late to book any character dining but will let him pick a restaurant when we get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter