• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday on the ship

omegax34

Earning My Ears
Hi there, I’m a first time cruiser and I was wondering if there was anything disney does for bday? My gf is a big disney fan so I’m just trying to make it a good day for her.

Hi there, I’m a first time cruiser and I was wondering if there was anything disney does for bday? My gf is a big disney fan so I’m just trying to make it a good day for her.
Your MDR servers will bring her out a special dessert and sing to her, as long as you tell them the day before so they can prep.

My son had a birthday on the ship once, and I seem to remember that he got a birthday button, too, one that they'll only give out to people whose actual birthday occurs during the cruise.

My DS5 had a Birthday on our last cruise but we ordered him a cake which was amazingly delicious and shared with our neighbors in the MDR. Plus they treated him like a king!

My husband has had several birthdays onboard. Note her birthday on your reservation. She should get a birthday button delivered to the room on her birthday. They will bring out a special birthday dessert and sing happy birthday at dinner. We have never talked to our servers about it the nght before, but you could do that.

I have celebrated my birthday twice on the ship and my daughter has once. Like others said, they bring you a cake one night and a button and sing to you. You can also order your own cake if you want from gifts and amenities. I know for my daughter, when I made my reservation it asked if we were celebrating anything. I checked birthday. Then, at some point (I really don't remember when) I was asked what night we wanted to celebrate (maybe it was a phone call on the ship). I don't remember doing this for my birthdays. Hers was the most recent though (this past June).

As a PP said, tell the cruise line ahead of time it will be her birthday (or close to it) and they will take care of it!

Last few cruises have been anniversary celebrations for us. It was on our reservation ahead of time. MDR knew to do something. But we never mentioned it any further and when we went to Palo they did a nice presentation plate to congratulate us as well.

And you don't have to wait for a button, go to guest services and ask for a celebration button she can wear. They may even have one at the port when you are checking in - just ask.

We got a birthday button. They delayed our Main dining room until the next night since we were in Palo, and she was recognized there instead. It's all a nice gesture, but if you really want to make it special, you need to spring for the add on cake that they can do, and the in room decoration package (or bring your own).

We were on the WISH for my husbands actual birthday, next time we cruise it will be before or after the actual date. Can i still have them make note of it or not? I would like to go for my big day, but prices are way to high.

We were on the WISH for my husbands actual birthday, next time we cruise it will be before or after the actual date. Can i still have them make note of it or not? I would like to go for my big day, but prices are way to high.
We crised to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday about 5 months after the fact (initially it was going to be over the date, but we moved the cruise with omicron running rampant) and it was no problem to celebrate.

Thanks for the reply, the week that is my husband’s birthday is 2,000 more so we will go 2 weeks later and save some money.

On your actual bday whenever they use your kttw card or enter your roomnumber the cm will get a special screen so I ended up getting a magical memory certificate and pin zent to the room from the merchandise team and a certificate and ricecrispietreats from guest relations. I also had a character photo and signed card from the characters given to me later that night after a meet.
All this is pixiedust and not a thing thats always done for everyone. 11y ago I also celebrated on the ship (also the actual day) and I -just- got the dining room thing. It all depends (just like in the parks one may get something extra while someone else doesnt)

What about something that is not normally a celebration? Such as getting your graduate degree or buying a house? Can you still say you are celebrating Something?
People celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, pre-K graduations, high school graduations, college graduations, post-baccalaureate degrees, retirements, cancer treatment ending, buying a house, remembering a lost loved one, making it through a difficult year -- anything. Just be aware that noting on the reservation that you are "celebrating ______" will not necessarily grant you anything special. If you choose to wear a button, you may get some congrats or comments. If it is your actual birthday (which they know based on documentation needed to cruise), they will bring a special dessert. If you inform your servers you are celebrating on a particular night, they may bring you something special. But again, set expectations low and you won't be disappointed. Folks who think "If I say I'm celebrating X they'll give me a bunch of free stuff" end up disappointed. Too many people are celebrating something for a lot of freebies.

On the wish my husband got a card, cake at dinner, a popcorn refill and 50.00 off a facial. The actual day when the room card was used he was told happy birthday quite often.

Can pick up a birthday button from Guest Services if one is not presented to your gf. 👍

You can celebrate anything at all, any time you want!!
This. Several years ago I took my parents on the Magic, and one night in Cariocas there were SOOOOOOOO many celebrations. Servers could barely get desserts out for having to go and sing to someone else. Our server Aditya even quipped "Would you like to celebrate anything since it seems everyone is tonight?" Haha!!

Get the birthday room decor package. I'm getting one for myself when I cruise in October. I'm hoping that the sash they give you can have characters sign on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter