• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday cakes in Disney?

DanenRox

Disney Junkies
So many family members going...13 in all, ages 3 yrs to 52 years. One of the youngin's will be turning 18 while we're there. Would like to avoid the expense of a firework cruise or some other grand celebration, the whole week will be a celebration. Still, is there a place the bunch of us can gather for just some cake or to share a special dessert to celebrate her 18th birthday? Any ideas?

You can get a cake at just about every restaurant. There's a thread all about the different cakes and prices from each restaurant here on the Dis. Do a search for "cake". There is even a whole thread dedicated to cake photos. there are also in room celebrations you can set up through Disney if you are staying onsite.

Since you mentioned expenses in regards to the fireworks cruise, I'll point out that Disney cakes can be pricey for what you get. A lot of restaurants have what is essentially a Sara Lee cake - not what most people are hoping for in a cake at WDW. Most of the deluxe resorts can make a beautiful cake, but then you start to pay a pretty premium and the quality is hit or miss.

A fun alternative could be going to Beaches and Cream at Beach Club for a kitchen sink (or 2 or 3 depending on the size of the party). Boardwalk has the one WDW bakery location that I believe you can pick up a cake and take to whatever location suits you, - if you choose to eat at a restaurant or location not served by one of the bakeries. If you have a rental car, you may consider just ordering from Publix.

Otherwise the cake chatter thread has some great pictures in it. (Check out the Restaurants forum - it is usually on the first page or two.) Whatever you decide, have fun!

Last December, we celebrated my daughter's 3rd Birthday in Epcot. We happen to adore The Garden Grill, and made ADRs for here on her actual birthday. I ordered a special cake for the celebration, and must say, there was nothing Sarah Lee about it. She was then, and I am lactose intolerant, and they made us a totally milk free cake, and it was awesome! It was important to me that it still tasted great, as the rest of the party are milk addicts!! If you have any ADRs, maybe add a cake to one?

Not sure of your overall budget, BUT, during certain times of the year the Tommorowland Terrace Dessert party can be pretty affordable per person, plus you get a great view of Wishes!

And if you are staying onsite, the Disney Florists can be a great way to make a special experience. They are very versatile, and can make several different packages for any budget. I've even had a tent at Fort Wilderness be transformed with Disney magic!

Last December, we celebrated my daughter's 3rd Birthday in Epcot. We happen to adore The Garden Grill, and made ADRs for here on her actual birthday. I ordered a special cake for the celebration, and must say, there was nothing Sarah Lee about it. She was then, and I am lactose intolerant, and they made us a totally milk free cake, and it was awesome! It was important to me that it still tasted great, as the rest of the party are milk addicts!! If you have any ADRs, maybe add a cake to one?

We are going in Sept for DD's bday (and it will be DH's bday as well). I'm so glad to see this thread! I was wondering about getting a cake. And we could use a dairy-free one (wheat- and soy-free, too, but that may be pushing it!).

When you set up your ADR, did you ask for the cake then? How far in advance do you need to arrange it? Our ADRs were set up at 180-day mark, back in March. Can I add it now? TIA!

Barbara

Here is a link to the Cake Chatter thread :) Cake Chatter

And here is another service that delivers cakes from a local bakery (Ingles maybe?) if you're wanting something cheaper but still birthday style :) WDW Personal Shopper

I second what some other posters have said too, there are many places throughout the parks and resorts where you can celebrate a birthday with something special if you're not wanting a cake or anything too big. The resorts even sell birthday cakes in the food courts (or at least POP does). Just plain birthday cakes in the cooler section....but still it's something if you're wanting to keep it simple.

This was my husbands birthday cake last December. I ordered it from The Beach Club and had it delivered to Cape May Cafe. It was delicious and yummy beyond expectations. Yes, it was a little more expensive that the local bakery but you can say that about anything you buy at WDW. No regrets about it at all and can't wait to order another.

IMG_2613.jpg

back.jpg

DISNEY MAKES THE BEST CAKES EVER!!!!! My wedding cake was 3 tiers. Marble/Bavarian Cream, Red Velvet/Cream Cheese, and Chocolate/Chocolate. We had a tasting where we matched every flavor cake to ever flavor butter cream so I sampled them all, probably 10 cakes and 8 fillings. Holy Moses! I am not a cake person but this was THE BEST CAKE EVER!!! To top it all off they covered each tier in chocolate butter cream and magically made peanut butter ooze down ever side. The bottom 2 tiers were covered with mini Reeses Peanutbutter Cups and chocolate ganache swirls. The topper was a white chocolate Cinderella Castle (we ate the ruins for our 1 year anniversary.)

As an added bonus, we ordered the top layer of our wedding cake remade for when we were there over our 2 year anniversary. OMG it was just as amazing as I remembered it! Yes, it was $70 but OMG! DISNEY MAKES THE BEST CAKES EVER!!!!!

Splurge! Order the cake! It's very large and so worth it! It took 4 of us a week to get most of it down but taking bites nightly. I was sad to throw out the remaining 1/3.

DISNEY MAKES THE BEST CAKES EVER!!!!! My wedding cake was 3 tiers. Marble/Bavarian Cream, Red Velvet/Cream Cheese, and Chocolate/Chocolate. We had a tasting where we matched every flavor cake to ever flavor butter cream so I sampled them all, probably 10 cakes and 8 fillings. Holy Moses! I am not a cake person but this was THE BEST CAKE EVER!!! To top it all off they covered each tier in chocolate butter cream and magically made peanut butter ooze down ever side. The bottom 2 tiers were covered with mini Reeses Peanutbutter Cups and chocolate ganache swirls. The topper was a white chocolate Cinderella Castle (we ate the ruins for our 1 year anniversary.)

As an added bonus, we ordered the top layer of our wedding cake remade for when we were there over our 2 year anniversary. OMG it was just as amazing as I remembered it! Yes, it was $70 but OMG! DISNEY MAKES THE BEST CAKES EVER!!!!!

Splurge! Order the cake! It's very large and so worth it! It took 4 of us a week to get most of it down but taking bites nightly. I was sad to throw out the remaining 1/3.

Where/how do you order the cake? I definitely want one for DH and DD!!

Where/how do you order the cake? I definitely want one for DH and DD!!

We ordered a gluten-free cake last year - we called the cake hotline number (407) 827-2253 and told them what we wanted - from there we were patched through to the person we needed to talk to. I think I ordered it a month in advance, but don't recall. It's separate from the dinning reservation but can be combined with a dinning reservation ITMsense.

Oh and the GF cake was awesome and the price was better than I can order from the local gluten-free bakery at home.

(407)827-2253. It is a $plurge. But it is also a dessert that will satisfy 13 people. So, so so so, so so so, so so so, so so so so so so worth it!!! Their fondant decorations are outstanding. Disney would never deliver an inferior product.

Definitely check out the Cake Chatter thread as well as Lurkyloo's info on the procedures and contact info for ordering a cake. She's also great about getting back to people w/info who post on the Cake Chatter thread.

While the prices are well beyond your grocery store bakery cake, the prices are still below what most of the private local bakeries would charge for a custom cake. I paid $150 for DD6's 5th bday cake last summer...I know I would have spent in the $200-250 range if I bought something comparable from a local bakery.

This is the cake I designed for DD6 that was made by the Contemporary bakery.

6063052996_8aa7c881a1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I also helped my friend design this cake that was made by the GF bakery. It wasn't exactly as I envisioned it, but the bday girl loved it. So that's really what matters.

6597469697_aa0b014e92.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

We'll be doing another cake for our November trip. Now if only I can settle on a design. :rolleyes1

Definitely check out the Cake Chatter thread as well as Lurkyloo's info on the procedures and contact info for ordering a cake. She's also great about getting back to people w/info who post on the Cake Chatter thread.

While the prices are well beyond your grocery store bakery cake, the prices are still below what most of the private local bakeries would charge for a custom cake. I paid $150 for DD6's 5th bday cake last summer...I know I would have spent in the $200-250 range if I bought something comparable from a local bakery.

This is the cake I designed for DD6 that was made by the Contemporary bakery.

I also helped my friend design this cake that was made by the GF bakery. It wasn't exactly as I envisioned it, but the bday girl loved it. So that's really what matters.

We'll be doing another cake for our November trip. Now if only I can settle on a design. :rolleyes1

These cakes look amazing! This is what I want for DDalmost5. And the yellow one with strawberries from the above poster. Did you find pix of these somewhere? Or did you just come up with the design all on your own? If I use my own creativity, I might end up spending $200! I really only want to spend about $50-100.

These cakes look amazing! This is what I want for DDalmost5. And the yellow one with strawberries from the above poster. Did you find pix of these somewhere? Or did you just come up with the design all on your own? If I use my own creativity, I might end up spending $200! I really only want to spend about $50-100.

I can't speak for the pp, but mine were my designs (I do custom cakes on the side). According to Lurkyloo's 'how to' for cakes... http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/ fondant covered cakes start at $75. I don't know about the Phineas and Ferb cake above, but for the Belle cake- that white chocolate topper is what put me into triple digits. The cake my friend had done at the GF bakery was $115, but the GF bakery usually charges the highest prices.

Definitely check out the cake chatter thread Cake Chatter

They can steer you in the right direction to getting a cake that's personalized but still within your budget :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter