Birthday Cake worth it?

Holeshot1982

Mouseketeer
We will be on the Dream when my son has his birthday. We've talked about ordering the Mickey cake for him but I'm just curious if it's worth the 25.00? Is it any good?

The last night on our fantasy cruise was celebration city! We celebrated our son's bday & the table next to us did the same for their child (along with a ton of other groups in the dining room it seemed). They ordered the cake, we simply told our head server ahead of time. Our "free" dessert was quite yummy & beautiful. Their paid for cake was nasty. Go with the free one IMO.

We ordered the Mickey cake twice now. Last year chocolate, this past week it was vanilla. Both times it was delicious! Very moist. Worth the price. My son loved the fanfare involved in the cake delivery and it was a great looking cake!

We were on the Fantasy for our son's birthday over Thanksgiving. The cake tasted like it had been frozen & had gotten freezer burn. It had no real taste at all. We had the freebie little cake they bring around, and it was so much better. The cake we bought sat on the table uneaten. Save your money.

DD has had 2 birthdays on DCL and we never have ordered a cake. We let DCL know it was a birthday cruise when we booked and our servers brought her a special desert and sang to her both times. With so much "free" food it seemed a waste to buy a cake.

My daughter's 4th birthday was last week when we were on the Fantasy. We didn't order the cake and just told them during dinner. They brought her out a small 1 person cake with a chocolate that said Happy Birthday on it. It was cute and tasted great. It was more than enough since she'd already had a Mickey bar too. LOL

We purchased the Mickey cake for my son's birthday on the Wonder this September..it was worth it just to see the expression on his face when the servers set that cake in front of him. Big enough to share with all our tablemates too!

Can't really remember what it tasted like now......it was a big hit though!

You receive so much free food that it just does not seem worth paying the extra for the cake. Of course if you feel you need it then get it but you will find that you wont have room to eat it over dinner and the regular dessert!
Have a Magical Birthday!

Lol, this is a no brainer, if it's his birthday order the cake. If it doesn't taste good order the free deserts. The cake isnt about taste, it's about the celebration. You can't be willing to tip 8 bucks per person per day to the mdr staff but not buy a cake for $25 for your son.

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

Normally I would say the free birthday was fine bit actually after seeing the picture I would suggest ordering the cake. Like others have said you've already spent thousands on your free food why not make it a tad more special than others normal nights

I vote YES to the cake. :thumbsup2
A memorable moment is priceless. For $25, it's a bargain.
Come on, guys. It's worth it.

When we celebrated our children's' birthdays on both cruises, we didn't order the cake. We opted for the free cake. It was delicious & they made them feel special. However, after seeing the picture of the cake, I think I will order the cake next time around. Enjoy!

DD has had 2 birthdays on DCL and we never have ordered a cake. We let DCL know it was a birthday cruise when we booked and our servers brought her a special desert and sang to her both times. With so much "free" food it seemed a waste to buy a cake.

This.

I ordered a cake for my Dad's birthday on our last DCL cruise (Oct 26-Nov 2). We really enjoyed it.

100_1063_zps9caa8452.jpg

It was $32 - I ordered marble cake with chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream. The cake itself was very moist (they bake it and then when putting it together they use a sugar wash). The filling was very rich and creamy; the buttercream frosting was a little thin and they should have done the sugar wash on the outside of the cake so that they didn't end up with the crumbs in the icing (like you can see in the pictures).

Both the 3 of us (my mom, dad & I) and our 5 tablemates really enjoyed the cake and ate just over half of it. The remainder I asked if our servers would like it and they happily accepted - and they even thanked me the next night letting me know that they enjoyed it and it was a big treat for them.

And of course, there was a big fuss made on the delivery with a bunch of servers (and the head server) coming to the table.

100_1062_zps799683d2.jpg

I would do it again in a heartbeat. The cake was good quality and worth the cost and one of the better desserts of the week for us (but then again, I'm not a big fan of many of the DCL desserts - and my dad stuck to the sundaes or ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream most of the week because he's not a fan of them either so the cake was something that was appreciated even though he told me not to order a cake for him).

I ordered a cake for my Dad's birthday on our last DCL cruise (Oct 26-Nov 2). We really enjoyed it. It was $32 - I ordered marble cake with chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream. The cake itself was very moist (they bake it and then when putting it together they use a sugar wash). The filling was very rich and creamy; the buttercream frosting was a little thin and they should have done the sugar wash on the outside of the cake so that they didn't end up with the crumbs in the icing (like you can see in the pictures). Both the 3 of us (my mom, dad & I) and our 5 tablemates really enjoyed the cake and ate just over half of it. The remainder I asked if our servers would like it and they happily accepted - and they even thanked me the next night letting me know that they enjoyed it and it was a big treat for them. And of course, there was a big fuss made on the delivery with a bunch of servers (and the head server) coming to the table. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The cake was good quality and worth the cost and one of the better desserts of the week for us (but then again, I'm not a big fan of many of the DCL desserts - and my dad stuck to the sundaes or ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream most of the week because he's not a fan of them either so the cake was something that was appreciated even though he told me not to order a cake for him).

May I ask how you ordered this? It looks great and we will be celebrating our dd's fourth bday on our first dcl in oct !

May I ask how you ordered this? It looks great and we will be celebrating our dd's fourth bday on our first dcl in oct !

When you go to the disney cruise website, under the link for on board gifts is the pdf for cake ordering. Because you send in your credit card information, they won't accept it by email - you have to fax the form and it has to be done 7 days before your cruise.

The family at our table (older couple with their adult son, adult daughter and her husband) - after our cake arriving on the 2nd night, the mom asked our server for a cake on the Thursday night to celebrate her son-in-law's birthday. They brought him over the single serving chocolate mousse dessert. The mom was disappointed because she wanted to order the full cake (and pay for it) but the server informed her that they could only be ordered before boarding the ship.

Lol, this is a no brainer, if it's his birthday order the cake. If it doesn't taste good order the free deserts. The cake isnt about taste, it's about the celebration. You can't be willing to tip 8 bucks per person per day to the mdr staff but not buy a cake for $25 for your son. Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

Thank you for posting this... While everyone has been helpful, your post put things in perspective.... I'll be ordering today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter