Birthday cake from scratch

momz

DIS Veteran
we are celebrating my sons 12th birthday this weekend. I would like to bake him a cake. But I need ideas and advice. I am a novice when it comes to decorating cakes.

I'm sure I can follow a recipe and it will taste good, but I also want it to look fun. I don't have an idea on how to get started.

Please share your successes and failures and any fun cakes you have made.

YouTube will be your best friend!! I always watch YouTube for ideas. If you are looking for a good chocolate recipe look at the back of a Hershey coco box I always use that recipe but I use almond extract instead of vanilla

rattle.jpg

tggt.jpg wedding cake.jpg cake2.jpg cake5.jpg cake 4.jpg

I know Michaels(and probably any craft store that has a baking section) has fun easy cake decorating kits. Pick out the theme you want and it should provide directions and a list of what you need to decorate(if not already provided). I think you still need to bake your own actual cake. I got a great one bowl chocolate cake recipe from allrecipes.com as well that is my go to recipe now.

This is a blog post (mine) regarding a recipe I used and an easy decorating technique. The recipe is for a white cake and it's very, very good. It's based off of a boxed cake mix, but you'd never know. It's that good. There's a good butter cream recipe at the link as well. Typically, I don't pump my blog but the cake and the decorating technique is great for a beginner.

http://allmylooseends.com/2012/06/baby-bees-pretty-little-birthday-cake/

If you're new to baking and frosting cakes, the King Arthur Flour website has great recipes for cakes and frosting, and tips for frosting and decorating your cake like a pro! If you run into trouble or have questions while baking, you can also call their free baker's hotline. It's such an awesome resource, I've called them several times when I've been in a baking jam, and they saved the day! Best of luck and have fun! :sunny:

This is a blog post (mine) regarding a recipe I used and an easy decorating technique. The recipe is for a white cake and it's very, very good. It's based off of a boxed cake mix, but you'd never know. It's that good. There's a good butter cream recipe at the link as well. Typically, I don't pump my blog but the cake and the decorating technique is great for a beginner.

Great cake. I'm going to make it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I learned to decorate cakes by taking a Wilton class offered at Joann fabrics. I love doing it!!

When I took a cake decorating class the teacher recommended using a box mix, with milk instead of water, and adding a tablespoon of vanilla extract. The problem with baking a cake from scratch is measuring the flour. Even when you measure carefully, and/or use a food scale to weigh the flour, the consistency varies by how much humidity is in the air. I baked a white chocolate cake from scratch, using the same recipe twice and was surprised in how different the two cakes were. They both turned out really well, but using a box mix just seems to work better.

I agree
My MIL always had great cake- she used a mix and just added this or that to make it tastier

The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn is a great resource for making cake mixes taste even better. I own one of the books, but you could also check out the website for recipes.
I also use a recipe for Marshmallow fondant. It's pretty easy to work with and tastes better than a lot of store bought fondants. I saw a cute Minecraft cake idea for son who will be 11. Seems simple enough by using fondant squares.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
For a kids party I always just used a cake mix. 1/2 the kids don't even eat the cake so I don't bother spending a lot of time with it. My kids cakes were always fun but I will admit by no means did they look completely professional.

Is your DS in to sports? There are several super super easy sports cakes that you can make that only require standard or semi standard baking pans, a basic cake recipe, some frosting, easily obtained candy and a spatula and a knife.

A football is easily made by baking a cake in a 9x13. Cut the ends in a curve to shape like a football. Frost with chocolate frosting. Get several white mystery airheads candies. Slice in three pieces the long way. Place two strips on cake slightly apart Slice another airhead in 1/4 inch slices the side way. Place these across the long strips to simulate the laces.

Even easier a baseball cake. Get an oven safe metal bowl that is very round on the bottom and about 8 to 9 inches wide where the batter will stop. To make it easier to cook split the batter an put part in a regular round cake pan and layer the two pieces with the round piece on top. But this step is not necessary. Frost the cake white and then use red licorice white cut into pieces to simulate the lacing on a baseball. You could also frost with orange frosting and black licorice whip to simulate a basketball.

If he's in to snakes make cupcakes, flip upside down on a cake tray in a loosely coiled or "s" shape. Frost filling in the spaces to look like a snake - could also be used to make a caterpillar.

For a more adventurous Army themed cake I made a "camo cake" which was a basically marble cake with chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla cake mixes blobbed into the pan together I also mixed some of the dark chocolate with the regular chocolate and some of the vanilla with the regular chocolate to get some different tones of cake. I did not run a knife through the colors just left the different shades of chocolate and vanilla to mix up as they baked. I topped with green and brown frosting and them put opposing armys of little green army men engaged in trench warfare on top. I used crushed coco puffs mixed with mini chocolate chips and plain rice cereal (coarsely crushed) as dirt. ETA - I made plain cupcakes with the left overs of the cake mixes. These went to school for the school party.

also very simple - a flag themed cake

and finally - a car themed cake - I think it was the year that speed racer was "cool"

Last edited:
I was just thinking back on the cakes I have made for all my sons and going through the pics of the cakes I've made. One piece of advice before you get going on an elaborate cake. If your son will have a lot of friends there make sure an elaborate cake is something he wants and doesn't think is something for little kids. My kids ckes have always been the theme they requested. I noticed that for their 12th and older birthdays my kids all had very plain cakes. Last year for his 12th my youngest had a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and a little bit of those flat rainbow sprinkles. We did do the candles that reignite which his friends thought were hysterical funny. My oldest for his 12th had a vanilla layer cake with chocolate frosting sprinkled with coconut.

Once my son hit that age, he no longer wanted a cake for his birthday for several years. He wanted those extra large chocolate chip cookies you get at the grocery store (cookie cake :) ). We got a couple plain ones and decorated them ourselves each year. Just throwing out the idea....

Cute cake!

OP, I'd also recommend using a box mix if you're not used to baking. Check at your local craft store for shaped pans with a theme that your son might like. You can decorate with the star tip in the colors of your choice and you're done.

Cute cake!

OP, I'd also recommend using a box mix if you're not used to baking. Check at your local craft store for shaped pans with a theme that your son might like. You can decorate with the star tip in the colors of your choice and you're done.

Agree with this. Baking is a real science--it's harder to bake (to me) than regular cooking. For cakes you have to get it just right. If you are a novice baker, I suggest you do a box mix until you get a little practice.

I've got my idea! A round cake. White frosting. I will use gel icing to make splatters and the. Put gum balls in the middle of the splatters...

Voila...paintball cake.

Inspired by Pinterest.

Very good.

image.jpg
This is a popular cake with kids and it's so easy anyone can make it.i used box cake and store bought frosting. You don't have to frost it perfectly because it's covered in candy. I remember I had to run out and buy more kitkats because I didn't have enough. I think it took 8 kitkats bars and 4 bags of M&Ms. I made this one for a cake raffle at school and the kids went nuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter