Birthday Button "Etiquette"?

Last year we were chatting about birthdays with a CM. we have been during my DD and DW but not my other DD. he said the rule is simple. As long as your birthday is within 6 months before you are there or 6 months after, you should celebrate. Just my 2 cents.
Also when you make dinner reservations they ask if you are celebrating anything special while there. I told them my DD who's birthday was in April. They said they would make sure it was on every reservation.

I'm sure you realize that anytime you are there will be within 6 months one way or the other of your birthday, so this means anytime is OK. Just stating the obvious in case someone missed it. :laughing:

Last year we had something at every restaurant....guess we were lucky. We were surprised....

Some of the complainers in this post make me shake my head. People who visit DW are visiting a magical place. Anything that can make their visit more magical, and especially a child, is fine with me. If the only thing some of you can complain about is Disney allowing other visitors to have a good time on vacation by encouraging them to take advantage of a very small gesture, then I feel sorry for you. If wearing a birthday button (I don't want the attention) makes the place more magical go for it. If it bothers some of you so much that a nine year old 'adult' is celebrating their tenth birthday four months after their actual birthday, you might want o consider staying away from DW just to make sure that you keep the neighborhood kids off your lawn.

I was stating the obvious....I was trying to let everyone know, it doesn't matter when you celebrate. You aren't doing anything wrong by celebrating whenever you want. Disney, just wants to help make it a bit more magical possibly for whoever wants to be involved.

If you are actually going to WDW to celebrate your birthday (the trip is a birthday present), wear the button the whole trip.

If you happen to be at Disney on your birthday for a regular vacation, wear the button on your day if an adult. Wear it the entire trip if a child who likes attention. Of course, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for wearing it the whole trip--no skin off my back.

Otherwise, skip the button.

We have just happened to be at Disney for DHs birthday one year and our anniversary one year. We wore the buttons day of only. I took DS#1 for his birthday present-- a mom and me trip-- but HE opted to not wear the button at all because it had to be a couple of months after his birthday because of school. I'm taking DS#2 this January for his mom and me birthday trip and he totally plans on wearing a birthday button the whole trip even though we are coming home a day before his actual birthday. That's where a long weekend falls and DH would have my head if DS wasn't home with both of us on his actual birthday.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Some of the complainers in this post make me shake my head. People who visit DW are visiting a magical place. Anything that can make their visit more magical, and especially a child, is fine with me. If the only thing some of you can complain about is Disney allowing other visitors to have a good time on vacation by encouraging them to take advantage of a very small gesture, then I feel sorry for you. If wearing a birthday button (I don't want the attention) makes the place more magical go for it. If it bothers some of you so much that a nine year old 'adult' is celebrating their tenth birthday four months after their actual birthday, you might want o consider staying away from DW just to make sure that you keep the neighborhood kids off your lawn.

This!!!

Why not just have everyone at Disney wear a birthday button? I mean, they were all born, right? What difference does it make if it's their actual birthday?

Me, I am going to Disney 9/13-9/21. My birthday is 9/6, so I will *not* be celebrating my birthDAY at Disney. I will be celebrating it at home with the cake my 9 year old will make me with her daddy from a box. (I will reap the benefits of my birthday by spending birthday gifts cards, though, and I will get belated birthday presents, make no mistake!) My son, however, will turn 4 on 9/20 so we *will* be celebrating his birthDAY at Be Our Guest and he will wear a button attached to his birthday shirt that reads "It's my birthday! Today I'm 4!" I do hope people make a big deal for his sake! I went to great lengths to be there on his actual birthday!

You can celebrate your birthday however you wish, it's a free country. Still, when people choose to make exceptions and celebrate a birthday on a day other than their actual birthday, it does detract from Disney's ability to be sincere and generous for the occasion. It's a numbers game. On any given day, maybe thirty people at Disney are there on their actual birthday, but when you take into account the people who are *pretending*, that number multiplies and thereby lessens the pixie dust available for the actual birthday people that day.

If I go to Red Robin on my birthday, they will give me a free meal if I show them my license proving it's my birthday. They will not, however, give me my free meal if I tell them "I couldn't celebrate last month because of XYZ, so I'm doing it now when it's convenient", they'll tell me to go fly a kite. It doesn't fit the numbers game.

So, while I agree that celebration is *always* a good thing and I embrace joy and cheerful, positive thinking.... If you pretend it's your birthday at Disney, you make it less possible for Disney to be more generous to those who are actually there on their birthday. Numbers, plain and simple.

Your points are well received and I admit I wasn't exactly thinking of it so magnanimously. Of course it behooves Disney to encourage everyone to feel they are being celebrated, even if the randomness and inaccuracy of it detracts from those who are *actually* lucky enough to be there in their birthday. I'm still "bothered" (I use that term loosely) by the fact that someone would choose to wear an "It's my Birthday!" button, inviting "Happy Birthday" comments from unsuspecting strangers. I've said "Happy Birthday" to a few people at Disney and had them tell me, "Thanks! It was last month."

Well, gee, mine was 6 months ago! Happy birthday to me, too, then!

I think the "I'm celebrating!" button is MUCH better. People will ask what you're celebrating and you can tell them your "birthday was four months ago and the trip was your gift"....whatever... Still an opportunity to celebrate only with much more "truth in advertising", so to speak.

I think the "I'm celebrating!" button is MUCH better. People will ask what you're celebrating and you can tell them your "birthday was four months ago and the trip was your gift"....whatever... Still an opportunity to celebrate only with much more "truth in advertising", so to speak.

On this I couldn't agree more! That is why Disney changed the buttons. Better yet, put the date on the button and what you are celebrating. If it is on the actual day, maybe you'll get a little more pixie dust.

Still, when people choose to make exceptions and celebrate a birthday on a day other than their actual birthday, it does detract from Disney's ability to be sincere and generous for the occasion. It's a numbers game. On any given day, maybe thirty people at Disney are there on their actual birthday, but when you take into account the people who are *pretending*, that number multiplies and thereby lessens the pixie dust available for the actual birthday people that day..

I find it hard to believe you would begrudge someone a special celebration simply because they were less fortunate than you and your child. On this I could not diagree more! Nothing is diluted if people are honest and don't lie. Disney has the capability to make a few thousand people feel special every day with out lessening anything. Happy birthday's by cast members don't cost a bit! Neither do little niceities. And a free little dessert is as much a thank you for spending money at Disney as it is a special birthday treat. No one is slighted because someone not as fortunate as you celebrates a special day not on the actual day. You won't get anything less. Don't worry so about losing something of value. Disney has plenty of pixie dust.:)

If I go to Red Robin on my birthday, they will give me a free meal if I show them my license proving it's my birthday. They will not, however, give me my free meal if I tell them "I couldn't celebrate last month because of XYZ, so I'm doing it now when it's convenient", they'll tell me to go fly a kite. It doesn't fit the numbers game.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Red Robin solely makes money on your meal. If they give you a free meal, they not only have given up their entire profit but have encured an unreimbursed cost. Disney, on the other hand, is giving you a little joy and a free dessert - a very tiny discount on an already large profit. Therefore they can do this for 200 or 2,000 or even 10,000 a day without a problem. That is why DISNEY themselves ENCOURAGE this behavior!!! Good feelings are part of the product they sell.

Don't expect anything but a happy birthday and you won't be disappointed. Do have a great time in the parks and enjoy the birthday!

I'm stupefied that there's a portion of society so desperately starved for attention that they'll con strangers into wishing them a happy birthday a full fiscal quarter after it's passed. Why isn't going on vacation to Disney World special enough on its own?

And a free little dessert is as much a thank you for spending money at Disney as it is a special birthday treat. No one is slighted because someone not as fortunate as you celebrates a special day not on the actual day. You won't get anything less. Don't worry so about losing something of value. Disney has plenty of pixie dust.:)

I would like to add, if you are going to DW on your birthday, and it truly is your birthday, don't rely on pixie dust for your celebrations. You have to take matters into your own hands. Order a cake, or plan a special night out, but don't rely on a Disney "freebie" such as a little dessert, even on your actual birthdate.

My husband has been fortunate enough to go to DW on his birthday for the past three years. He wears his button on his birthday and a funny birthday hat for one day only. We've never received a free dessert, and never wanted one anyway. But one time we were dining and I noticed people all around getting cupcakes and being fussed over by cm's so I took our cm aside and I told him that today was my husband's birthday. I figured that maybe he would come over and wish him a happy birthday. Instead he said, "Sorry, we are out of cupcakes now, but we will be getting some in later."

So with so many people celebrating their "birthdays" at Disney, pixie dust does run out! :rotfl:

I'm stupefied that there's a portion of society so desperately starved for attention that they'll con strangers into wishing them a happy birthday a full fiscal quarter after it's passed. Why isn't going on vacation to Disney World special enough on its own?

I'm stupefied that there are people who are so cynical that they begrudge someone celebrating their birthday at Disney, no matter when it is. Especially when Disney policy states that it doesn't matter when your birthday is(in fact when my DH called to add my sister's birthday to the reservation the CM went ahead and added all three of us as having birthdays without us asking because "everyone deserves to celebrate at Disney"). If they don't care why the heck do you?

I'm stupefied that there are people who are so cynical that they begrudge someone celebrating their birthday at Disney, no matter when it is. Especially when Disney policy states that it doesn't matter when your birthday is(in fact when my DH called to add my sister's birthday to the reservation the CM went ahead and added all three of us as having birthdays without us asking because "everyone deserves to celebrate at Disney"). If they don't care why the heck do you?

I suppose my issue with this is the egocentric sense of entitlement with this. Birthdays aren't an issue of fairness or opinion, or a state of mind. it's a specific date on a calendar. Just because Disney allows it, doesn't mean you can't show a modicum of integrity and acknowledge the (unbearable) truth - not every single day of the year is your birthday. If you can't enjoy Disney World without the need for extra attention, I feel sad for you.

I suppose my issue with this is the egocentric sense of entitlement with this. Birthdays aren't an issue of fairness or opinion, or a state of mind. it's a specific date on a calendar. Just because Disney allows it, doesn't mean you can't show a modicum of integrity and acknowledge the (unbearable) truth - not every single day of the year is your birthday. If you can't enjoy Disney World without the need for extra attention, I feel sad for you.

In reality we probably agree! Yes, people need to be truthful and not take advantage of something just to get their free cupcake on vacation. That is pathetic. On the other hand, what I am proposing is not to judge those that may have a very good reason for moving the celebration. Be honest (I'd put the actual date on the button) and don't be greedy. I don't need any cupcake at all anyway! But to a child whose parents have limited resources that want to actually celebrate the childs birthday at another time other than the actual day. Or people who postpone the celebration and wait until they can be at Disney. More power to them! Disney does make it more special, so go for it!

But, to your point, I would encourage all to use a little restraint and not go overboard. Celebrating one birthday and add everyone else? I don't think that's necessary and I wouldn't do it.

I also don't really know how many people get there for their actual birthday. It might be a large percentage of those celebrating! I am not going to judge, I'm going to assume they have a legitimate reason.:thumbsup2

How is it any different then people having a birthday party on a day other then their birthday for convenience? If they want to celebrate their birthday 6 months after the fact it does not have an impact on you whatsoever, so why do you care? If you can't just let it go and realize that someone celebrating their birthday when they choose has no effect on you, I feel sad for you.

What difference does it make if someone wears a birthday pin! My DD had one on and she didn't get free admission or free food or anything! A few people said "happy birthday" and that was it!! Why do supposedly intelligent people feel the need to push their ideals on others about a damn pin!!! Who the hell cares if they wear it every day of their life? IT'S A @&#+%£¥ PIN !!! I can't see letting it bother people like some here seem to have. Get over it and yourself, if it bothers you don't go ! Sorry had to vent!

One year I was at WDW as a birthday "gift" so even though I wasn't there on that specific day, I left my pin pinned to my bag I took around the parks all week long. I had many cast members and even visitors, wishing my happy birthday all week long!

I would personally feel that being wished a happy birthday weeks or even months after the fact would feel empty and hollow. If that's what makes you happy and special, more power to you.

Honestly, who cares? We are going on September 14th and my son will be turning 11 on September 10th. We will be celebrating his birthday there and not at home. Money will be tight prior to our vacation. If it's a few days off and he is happy then who cares? I think this is perfectly acceptable. However I do feel that people have such an entitlement issue these days. If your birthday is months out then why do it? I guarantee that these are the same people that say their child is 2 when they are 5 to get them into the park for free and the ones pushing to the front of the lines. But honestly, who cares? If they want to live their lives like that the that's on them.

Odelay said:

To paraphrase what my husband said in a previous post, I hope that if you ever get delayed by a flight on Thanksgiving or by a snowstorm in December that you at least donate the turkey you shouldn't be eating and the presents you now have the integrity to not open because you missed the actual day(s).

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter