• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birth Certificate Question - Married vs. Maiden Name

OP thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. Hope you have a great trip!

Does anyone know if getting on and off at Castaway Cay is a problem for people traveling with BC instead of a passport?
I just won a cruise and we are 7 weeks away from leaving on a Preview of the Fantasy. Worried that we won't have our passports in time.

You don't need the BC after you initially board. You will get on and off the ship at every port using your KTTW and a photo ID. This is wither you have a passport or not. Did you order passports? They are coming in less than three weeks for most people. Congrats on the win!

I remember that story. The cruise was booked as Mr. & Mrs. Newname. ALL of her id was in her maiden name (they got married the day before so no time to have name changes processed). She didn't think to bring their marriage cert?! :rolleyes1 D'oh!! Yes, they were able to board once the marriage cert proved that she was Ms. Maidenname - matching her id - and now Mrs. Newname - matching her ressie.
:rolleyes: You need to use your LEGAL name when booking. Ladies going on their honeymoons need to remember their name is not changed until they go and change it themselves.

I actually have to call DCL soon because I was booked in my maiden name for my cruise, got married during the trip, re-booked on board and it's booked under my maiden name. They just used the same info we had on file.

We took a Disney cruise in Dec. I had no trouble with my birth certificate being in my maiden name. I didn't take my marriage certificate with me.

I recently book us a cruise through RCCL and I was told I needed to bring my marriage certificate along with my birth certificate.

So I guess each cruise line is different? But with Disney you don't need the marriage certificate.

We have always advised clients to bring along a copy of their marriage certificate if they are using a birth certificate. Not that it's required. We think of it more as insurance. If you don't need it, it wasn't a big deal to carry around one extra piece of paper. But if you do need it (like the one pp's story of the grumpy agent -- it happens more than you think), it's like gold.

We have also had more than one excited bride who couldn't wait to travel under their "new name". Any travel agent would be saavy enough to know to use the maiden name. But the average person booking on their own might not think about it.

Be carefull, you need to be sure since you'll be the one in the terminal waiting for clearance while the clock tics closer to the ship pulling away! You can cruise on a closed loop itinerary, however, if you have an emergency and must re-enter the country by airplane, you may be denied entry through customs at the US airport since a passport is required for air travel.
There was a TV special on the maiden voyage of RC's Freedom of the Seas a couple years ago and a newlywed wife was denied boarding until someone back home was able to fax a copy of their marriage certificate to the terminal. Better safe than sorry - if you don't have a passport, have documents with you to cover every conceivable documentation scenario to get you on that ship!

A married lady could not board Oasis of the Seas until someone faxed over a copy of her marriage certificate. I would take my marriage license just to be sure.

You don't need the BC after you initially board. You will get on and off the ship at every port using your KTTW and a photo ID. This is wither you have a passport or not. Did you order passports? They are coming in less than three weeks for most people. Congrats on the win!

:rolleyes: You need to use your LEGAL name when booking. Ladies going on their honeymoons need to remember their name is not changed until they go and change it themselves.

I actually have to call DCL soon because I was booked in my maiden name for my cruise, got married during the trip, re-booked on board and it's booked under my maiden name. They just used the same info we had on file.

This was no problem for me to do. When we called and made the new ressie they had my old name. We just asked them to change it to the new name, no questions asked!

A married lady could not board Oasis of the Seas until someone faxed over a copy of her marriage certificate. I would take my marriage license just to be sure.

As explained above that is because she booked under the wrong name. She booked using her husbands name. That was not her legal name. Her name was still her maiden name. You need to book whatever name is on your ID.

My son is getting married in August and I've advised my future daughter-in-law that all reservations for their honeymoon should be in the name on her identification, not her new married name. I explained to her why (I'm a notary in CA and names and ID are a big deal), so she told me she was glad I knew, otherwise she would have had a problem.

FYI - If it were me, and I had no passport. I would carry my BC, My marriage license and ID. Because if there is an emergency you'd definitely need both the BC and the Marriage License to show a chain of identification.

Another FYI - if you're flying, you now have to provide your First, Middle and Last Name when you make your reservations and they all have to be on the identification document that you use.

In order to board the ship, all Guests are required to provide proper
travel documentation. United States citizens can visit the State
Department’s travel website at www.travel.state.gov, or call the U.S.
National Passport Information Center at 877-4USA-PPT for more
information.

All Guests claiming U.S. citizenship, including children, must present
one of the following as proof of U.S. citizenship or be denied boarding:

A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport (valid for land, sea and air travel)

OR

Original state issued birth certificate or certified copy of a state
issued birth certificate. A hospital birth certificate is not state
certified and is not acceptable as proof of citizenship. Guests 18 years
of age and older are also required to present a photo ID issued by a
Local, State, or Federal Government agency with the birth certificate.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

Tucker
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Line

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and
phone number on all correspondence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter