birth certificate problems

Despite pesky rumors that my birth certificate is so old that it's etched on a stone tablet, I also have a well worn certificate with a barely noticeable raised seal.

I've never had a problem using it, and I most definitely never needed my marriage license.

I don't think that you have any reason to worry.

As a TA, I have contacted many vendors with name spelling "errors" and each and every time I have been told as long as it is only ONE letter off its not a problem. Hope this helps those of you who have changed your names!

If it helps anyone feel better, on both kids' BC's, it says their father was born in one particular city here in MA...then I went and found HIS, as he doesn't have a passport, for use on our recent cruise, looked at it, and found out that he was born in a totally DIFFERENT city than he thought! SOOoooo...on HIS BC it says he was born in City #1, and on the kids' BC's it says their father was born in City #2...

It was not a problem at all. They only looked to see that the certificates were valid (ie. raised seals), and compared DH's to his license, but that was it.

Now, as to the problem of DH not even knowing where he was born...my MIL found this extremely amusing, as he had put down the city where SHE was born instead! *snicker*

I'll have to go fix that soon, I guess, so that 15 yrs from now when they're cruising they won't get stressed out about it. *wink*

In most states, you have time to get a certified copy of your birth certificate as long as you are not leaving today. When we went, we all had our original bc, but we wanted copies in the event the luggage was lost, etc. It is very easy...

1. You find a local department of records; there is usually one in every city.
2. You go down there with cash only (as the will not take checks or credit cards) Usually between $6 - $15, depending on your state.
3. Most require you show a valid drivers license, your ss card and taking your original would not hurt you.
4. You pay them cash, wait about 15 mnutes, you have it, a witness signs it and stamps the seal on it and you are good to go.

An hour of your time and you are all ready for your cruise.

Happy Sailing!!!

PS - You can also get the information online. It will tell you what is required. Just look in a search engine for vital records and your state.

We were never asked for a birth certificate, passport or anything else on our 3 day wonder. Not from our TA and not at check-in. This was this past August. On our way off the boat, we had packed our birth certificates with our luggage and had to spend a half hour going through everything to find them. Then they never asked to see them. I wouldnt worry about it. You may never need to show them.

What?? Are you saying you went on the cruise without being asked for either a BC or passport? That seems so odd....

They checked our BCs when we arrived at the resort. They looked over our creds with a fine tooth comb. They thumbbed through our DCL booklets, took what they needed and checked us into POFQ.

When we arrived in Port Canaveral, they told us to take our "Key to the World" and go straight to the mouse ears. We were never asked for our BC while we were on the cruise ship. However, they did ask to see our "Key to the World" and DL everytime we got on and off the ship.

Well that's why then... they'd already checked it at the resort. :)

I also had a weird situation with my bc- I never got one until I was 5 (blaim my mother for that one...) and have since changed my name and gotten married- I decided that instead of taking my chances of confusing the poor DCL desk clerk I applied for a passport- I confused the heck outta the poor Passport lady instead... But after a few calls everything was just fine and I should be receiving it this month :)

As for my son- When he went to Africa we got him a passport even though technically he is exempt under some rule they had but its so much easier as its pretty universal vs how many different types of bcs there are... :)

Lesson number 1- Always get a BC for your kids right after they are born... Much easier on them-

Agreed.
Lesson number 2- after getting the BC right after they are born- be sure to check everything carefully! And get things corrected ASAP if there are mispellings or other errors.
(that's the one my mother didn't bother to do. She said she noticed years later that my name was mispelled on the BC)

We also stayed at carribean beach for the first week. We checked in there for DCL and they never checked. I did not have a photo ID and went through heck trying to get my picture on my drivers license to the point that we almost didnt go on the cruise. I finally got the license done a couple of weeks before we left. If you get married nowadays, dont change your last name. Any way, thats a long story in itself. But I was kind of mad that I went through all that and was never asked for any kind of ID.

HELP! After reading all these post about the BC issues, I'm worried that I might have a problem. My certified BC has the spelling of my middle name wrong. It is spelled "Don" instead of "Dawn" (all my other identification shows correct Dawn). I also have a very old amendment to change the spelling from 1969 which after taking a closer look at it noticed that although the form was filled out, it was never notorized. I confirmed with my mom that she never sent the change in to have it corrected. I am less than 2 weeks from leaving on our trip!!!! I called DCL to ask if it would be a problem if I can show all my other forms of identification with the correct spelling..and he said it "should be fine". I was not reassured with his half-hearted response. We will be checking into the POR for the first part of the package and from what I have read, that is where all the docs are checked, and when it comes time to go cruisin, all we would need to do is board. No checking in etc. Well, long story short, I just called the front desk at the POR to ask about the docs since they are the ones that would be approving/disapproving what I had. The gal told me they no longer check the docs there at the hotel and it will be the cruise line that will be doing it. Sooooo...I really want to find out should I be worried?? I don't think I have time to get my BC corrected and sent to me...should I panic???

Do you absolutely HAVE to have a birth certificate with you? Will a license and social security card do? My husband just discovered that he does not have his BC and we are leaving Thursday!!! I have his parents searching for it, but fear that I may have to go to the city he was born in to get a copy and even wonder if I can get it that quickly!? I am really scared now!

Kingskid...I've been reading conflicting info about the birth certs. My cruise docs state that you MUST have either BC or passport plus another form of ID like drivers license. I just went online to my states' bureau of vital statistics to get info on how to get it fast. Since there is a processing time, I doubt you would be able to get it via mail by time you leave. I would get the phone number to call directly to see what is suggested and what you would need to get it if you were to do a "walk in". Your hubby might have to be the one to go and get it. Nothing like last minute panic situation huh? If you are close enough to go to city he was born, I'd do that instead of chancing that they wont ask to see it. Good luck!!

I seem to remember that a voter's registration card also serves as proof of citizenship (coupled with a positive photo ID, that is). Might be best to check this out though.

Thank you, Jesus! You'll never guess where I found my DH's birth certificate. First i called his parents to see if they, per chance, had a copy or the original. His father looked around, but couldn't find it. This morning it dawned on me to look in the baby book his mother had made him (she's extremely organized!) and would you believe that it was there. THE ORIGINAL was glued down to the page!!! I carefully peeled it off the page (without tearing it!) thanks to the really old glue. PHEW! Yea, nothing quite like a last minute fire to put out. I'm just thankful I thought to look there!!! Thanks for looking into it for me though!

BECAUSE I STARTED THIS THREAD I THOUGHT I SHOULD TELL EVERYONE THAT I WORRIED FOR NOTHING.

CHECK IN WAS A BREEZE. THE NICE MAN THAT CHECKED US IN GLANCED AT MY BC, NEVER MENTIONED THE MISSPELLED 1ST NAME AND NEVER QUESTIONED THE 1975 DATED CERTIFIED COPY OF MY BC.

DURING DEBARKATION CUSTOMS DID NOT LOOK AT MY BC AT ALL!

YOU MUST HAVE A BC AND PHOTO ID OR A PASSPORT!!

Just a quick note--as of the second week of February, RCCL was still stopping at their "island" which is a peninsula of Haiti. One of my students was on a RCCL and told me they had stopped in Haiti and I didn't believe him! He said it was separated from the rest of the island by concrete and barbed wire.
I'm sure that has changed now, but he was there when it was getting a little hairy!:eek:
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter