• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birth certificate only for closed loop

ewerstruly

DIS Veteran
Just checking - a birth certificate is all that's needed to cruise on a DCL closed loop Bahamas 4 night cruise, right? I looked on their DCL website and only see passport information. We were only planning to travel with birth certificates and id/drivers licenses since we don't travel often, don't plan to cruise again at least in many years and that's a lot of dollars for 5 people. We don't even plan to get off the ship at the Bahamas. Also, do i need a marriage license to accompany my BC? Thanks.

We don't have passports either, and our travel agent assured us that we only
need birth certificates and drivers' licenses. We're still planning on taking
our marriage license, just in case.

Yup a BC for a closed loop cruise is fine. A lot of people will chime in about the benefits of a passport but we have done several cruises with BC only. Also, you don't need your marriage license. They don't ask for it.

I've done four DCL cruises so far and have always used birth certificates and a driver's license, but do plan on getting a passport since I seem to be cruising more than I initially thought I would ;)

For closed loop cruises, you still only need a birth certificate, a certified one. The main reason you would need a passport to cruise on a closed-loop is if for some reason you had to fly back into the county. We have cruised at least 1-2 times per year, and we do have passports...even for DD age 6. We decided it was worth the extra knowing we would be covered in case, plus we cruise often enough it is just easier.

I had wondered if BC would be ok,,, but I don't know what closed loop means? We have plenty of time so I might get us passports to be on the safe side.

As listed above you need a certified BC.....not a copy...The certified orginial will have a raised seal or a Halogram.

AKK

For those of you who cruise with BC only do you carry a copy and leave a copy at home? I'm trying to decide if I need to leave a copy at home just in case something should happen to the ones I carry.

For those of you who cruise with BC only do you carry a copy and leave a copy at home? I'm trying to decide if I need to leave a copy at home just in case something should happen to the ones I carry.

What do you mean "copy"? You need an official BC with the seal. If you need another you can get it from the vital records office of the county you were born in. So no need to worry, if something happens to it you can get a new one, should be around $20.

What do you mean "copy"? You need an official BC with the seal. If you need another you can get it from the vital records office of the county you were born in. So no need to worry, if something happens to it you can get a new one, should be around $20.

I'm sorry I was confusing in my wording. I know I need an official BC. When I said copy I meant official.

You'd be much safer just getting a passport. I believe an expedited passport in the US just takes 2 weeks.

Don't you have the passport card too? I've seen those at the seaport entries here, but I know they aren't valid for flight use. They're much cheaper, too.

I did encounter one small exception to the "just a birth certificate." I cruised with my minor daughter who has a different last name from me. I had my passport and her birth certificate for our ID.

When we returned at the end of the cruise the Customs agent in Port Canaveral wanted me to prove I was her mother. I showed him my marriage certificate to link our different last names and he also pulled her aside and questioned her. As if I would try to smuggle an extra teenager into the USA!:rotfl:

Ironically he didn't expect me to prove anything for my granddaughter who has yet another last name. I have no clue why he was concerned if I was the mother for one of them. Would they have denied her entry into the US if I wasn't or was he just being a pest????

Hi guys.....I was wondering this too. Dumb question.....if you have a passport...do you need your birth certificate,also? Or do we just need drivers license and passports? TIA!!

Hi guys.....I was wondering this too. Dumb question.....if you have a passport...do you need your birth certificate,also? Or do we just need drivers license and passports? TIA!!

If you plan on driving on any island, you need your driver's license as well.

Usually how it works in countries with a close relationship to the US, preferred one first:

1. Passport only
2. Birth Certificate and Driver's License

Here on Cayman, we don't like to acknowledge that we allow birth certificates as proof of identity, but I know it does happen. In the US, all you need is a birth certificate and driver's license to get a passport, so why not just go for it? Save yourself the hassle, especially on your return to the US.

If my DD(5) has a passport, do I still need her BC? I adopted her as a single mom. Our last names are the same.

If my DD(5) has a passport, do I still need her BC? I adopted her as a single mom. Our last names are the same.

I know the US is much more strict on re-entry than here. We'd let it slide, but I know US customs will look more closely. Hopefully someone on here can help.

I know the US is much more strict on re-entry than here. We'd let it slide, but I know US customs will look more closely. Hopefully someone on here can help.

As long as her adopted last name (aka your last name) is on her passport, you'll be fine.

My parents adopted me, and I have their last name. I've never been questioned on my passport, or my BC/Driver's License combo when I'm with them!

If I understand correctly the Alsaka Cruise passangers would not need a passport either. We can just use a Birth Certificate and Drivers Lincense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter