• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birnbaum... check it out!

disneygirl21

Mouseketeer
Just bought the Birnbaum book to WDW as a guide for me for my next trip this Friday. This book features so many pictures and A LOT of updated info. There's a whole section on the Saratoga Springs, Priority Seating, and three pages of the Disney Cruise! Buy it today!

I'm coming, ::MickeyMo !
:wave2:

I love it!! I buy one every year i have a nice little collection going on.

Enjoy it! :teeth:
Michelle

Be careful using it for serious planning. It has some mistakes, too. One biggie is it still says the PS window for CRT is 60 days out.

One thing that made me laugh is it says that people like to take their sandwiches from Earl of Sandwich and eat outside and people watch. Earl of Sandwich opened in March...months after the book was written and printed. I guess the writer is clairvoyant. LOL

I was disappointed to see in the most recent version of Birnbaum's it still lists Hollywood & Vine as a great spot for a character breakfast/lunch. :rolleyes: This character meal was discontinued just before our December 2002 trip. It just makes me wonder what else is wrong - I always pick one up before a trip though - it makes for great reading & gets us excited for the trip! :)

Keep in mind also this book is authorized by Disney, if I am not mistaken. Sometimes it is good to get another book that will be listed as an unauthorized travel book and compare notes.

I really love my Unofficial Guide to WDW and the PassPorter for organizing my planning. The Unofficial Guide really told it like it is. If they don't think a restaurant is very good, they say it. It's seems to be very straightforward. I have seen people saying they don't like Birnbaum as much any more since it is now an "official" Disney guide.

UG is the book to use:earsboy: I haven't bought a Birnbaum in ten years:eek:

Its funny. We buy a Birnbaums every year now and now that I think of it, Im not sure why?? I guess its just become a tradition since it was the first Disney book we got when we first decided to take the thousand mile adventure in my old 2 seater sports car about 10 years ago. I think getting just one would be sufficient for at least a few years. I guess it also depends on what type of person you are. Its definitely a warm and fuzzy disney-backed guide book and I know lots of people want just that! I think I like a little more honest opinions myself, so I tend to look for the "unofficial" guides as well.

I bought a Birnbaum guide a few years back, but when several inconsistencies were noted, I recycled it in favor of more unofficial information. Birnbaum is great if you want to read the standard Disney line, but as others have pointed out be aware that it's not always completely accurate.

I too prefer unofficial guides - my last Birnbaum is dated 2001 but I bought both Passporter and Unofficial Guide last year. Anyone buy Passporter every year - just wonder if it's worth buying the 2004 edition if I have the 2003- does it have much new stuff?

I love Birnbaums but it does have inconsistencies. I was thumbing through the newest one at the Disney Store the other day and noted that it says Pop Century only has a pool bar. I've not stayed there yet, but doesn't it have the indoor Classic Concoctions bar? And reading the description of the Poly, it has the same description for the last how many years (water cascading down craggy volcanoe rocks or something like that) I mean can't they change up the adjectives a little? :)

I get all my unofficial guides at garage sales.
I love them all,, right or wrong ,, they are just fun
reading. I like the reading but I do take what they
say as maybe true or not ,,,,, I can't imagine
why anyone would sell these books. Good reading,,
great pics ,,, and lots of adjectives to get me in the mood
for a Florida vacation !!!!!!!!!!

::MinnieMo

Originally posted by xmatt0926x
Its funny. We buy a Birnbaums every year now and now that I think of it, Im not sure why?? I guess its just become a tradition since it was the first Disney book we got when we first decided to take the thousand mile adventure in my old 2 seater sports car about 10 years ago. I think getting just one would be sufficient for at least a few years. I guess it also depends on what type of person you are. Its definitely a warm and fuzzy disney-backed guide book and I know lots of people want just that! I think I like a little more honest opinions myself, so I tend to look for the "unofficial" guides as well.

I couldn't agree more. I bought my first Birnbaum guide in 1987; I stopped in 1994, when it became clear that after Birnbaum's death that his publishers would toe the Disney line. Everything is described as "delicious" and "unforgettable". We all love Disney, but that's simply not true (apparently the editors haven't visited Capt Jack's in DTD lately).

When I want a no-bull resposne to all things Disney, the Unofficial Guide is the best. I don't agree with all its responses, but at least I know it's human - and some of their dismissals are very funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter