Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad in Los Gatos

quikah

Mouseketeer
Michael had a small mention about this during one of his history segments last year (Walt shared his love of trains with Billy). Billy Jones ran a small 1/3 scale (might be 1/4 scale, I am not positive) railroad on his ranch. After his death the train was moved to Oak Meadow and Vasona parks in Los Gatos. I live in the area and have been curious about checking it out ever since I heard the mention on segment.

There is a very good website with information here: http://bjwrr.org/

They have 2 diesel locomotives and 2 steam locomotives. They are generally open only weekends during the winter but move to a daily schedule in the summer. During the winter they generally just run the diesel locomotives except for special events.

WP_20150216_13_32_21_Pro.jpg

Each ticket is $2. 2 and under are free. The trip is around 5-6 minutes long. The station is sort of a spur, so you go out, do a a loop then come back from the same place you left. That means the locomotive is pointing in the wrong direction. so they turn it around on a turntable.

WP_20150216_13_57_47_Pro.jpg

This is one of the neat things about this railroad. You get to see a lot of stuff up close. Since the train runs through the park you can even walk the track if you like. We took a walk along the track after they closed for the day. They have some switching equipment and a low bridge (just a few feet off the ground) you can get a nice close up view of.

WP_20150216_15_29_16_Pro.jpg

The park itself is fairly large. They have a carousel which is also $2. Makes for a nice day out. Parking is $6, but if you don't mind a walk there are plenty of places to park on the residential streets around the area.

This is not much of a detour on the way to or from SF. It is about 1-2 miles off Highway 85, which is a loop that goes around San Jose from Highway 101. I highly recommend making a stop here if you have even a passing interest in trains.

Michael had a small mention about this during one of his history segments last year (Walt shared his love of trains with Billy). Billy Jones ran a small 1/3 scale (might be 1/4 scale, I am not positive) railroad on his ranch. After his death the train was moved to Oak Meadow and Vasona parks in Los Gatos. I live in the area and have been curious about checking it out ever since I heard the mention on segment.

I don't think it's any particular "scale" per se. It's 18" narrow gauge (standard track is 54.5") and everything was customized to that gauge. If you're basing on the size of the rails, that's roughly 1/3 scale. "Scale" sort of implies that the dimensions are designed around mimicking a standard gauge setup, and really only applies to model railroads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter