Biking at Ft Wilderness

MNTwinsMom

Mouseketeer
We are considering bringing our bikes for our January stay at the cabins. We would not rent a golf cart, so would like to bike to bus stop and marina to catch Disney transportation.

So, here's my questions:

Can we park bikes in the golf cart parking or is there another designated space to park bikes at the bus stop and marina?

Are the bike paths lit in the evenings? Since we are traveling in January, it will be dark in the evenings when we arrive back from the parks. Is it safe to be biking around the fort at night?

Anything else I should know or consider about biking at Ft Wilderness?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Bus stops are in easy walking distance of the camping loops. Some of the cabin loops are a little longer. No bike racks at the bus stops as I recall probably for this reason.

There are bike racks at the beach end of the Fort at the dock and at the Outpost (check-in) end where the external bus depot is. Bikes don't park in golf cart spots and visa-versa.

It will be dark early in January. Car traffic is infrequent but there are paved sidewalks you can use (watch out for walkers of course). I would suggest some sort of light or blinking red flasher if you ride at night for your sake as well as that of motorists and pedestrians.

I don't recall all the sidewalks being lit but critical points are like at bridges that go over water, etc.

Biking is wonderful at the Fort. There is a nice 1 mile paved exercise/walking trail from the Tri-Circle-D ranch down by Pioneer Hall over to Wilderness Lodge. Deer are often along this trail at sunset and dawn (it's very walkable too). I bike around the Fort rather than golf cart. It's very flat and fun.

If you are leaving bikes for the day I would lock them to a post or tree or something. About the only time I leave mine unlocked is if I ride it to the trading post and I'm inside only for a few minutes.

Biking is fun at the Fort! :woohoo:

Bama ED

Lights, front and rear, are required at night per info sheet given to you at check-in as are helmets for 16yo and under, Fl. Law. As anywhere else around this country, many people do not comply.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the advice. This was exactly the info I was looking for.

I realize I wasn't clear about the bus stop bike parking in my original post. I meant the area where you pick up the busses to the parks (couldn't remember that it was called the outpost) so you answered that as well.

If we decide a golf cart is not in the budget this year I will make sure we remember helmets and lights for bikes. Thanks again for the responses. I only visit every couple years, but am always impressed with how friendly the crew at ft wilderness is - here on the boards and in real life. :)

I read the title as "Bikini's at Fort Wilderness" and I was coming here to support such a policy, but biking is fun too.

We brought our bike's and rode them to the Campfire sing-a-long and did some looping and exploring around the Fort. Very fun.

We take our 5th Wheel RV to FW at least 4-5 times/year, and I ALWAYS take my bike with me. It is an absolute pleasure cycling at the Wilderness Campground. Take a lock with you so you can chain it to a tree or bike rack, have lights installed on the front and rear, and always wear appropriate head gear. Just came home from a long weekend there, and am already looking forward to an eight day vacation at FW in November.

I read the title as "Bikini's at Fort Wilderness" and I was coming here to support such a policy, but biking is fun too.

We brought our bike's and rode them to the Campfire sing-a-long and did some looping and exploring around the Fort. Very fun.

I'm a big fan of and support Bikinis at the Fort, :banana:

Oh you haven't lived til you've seen me in my Man-kini,,:woohoo:

no bragging intended, but I certainly fill it out :lmao:

I did find this one on the net, is that you?
goldmember5.jpg

We always enjoy biking from the Fort to the Wilderness Lodge, nice ride, and the lodge is worth the visit.

We take our 5th Wheel RV to FW at least 4-5 times/year, and I ALWAYS take my bike with me. It is an absolute pleasure cycling at the Wilderness Campground. Take a lock with you so you can chain it to a tree or bike rack, have lights installed on the front and rear, and always wear appropriate head gear. Just came home from a long weekend there, and am already looking forward to an eight day vacation at FW in November.

Are there any lockers at the bus stop or marina for helmet storage? We have been considering doing bikes this visit instead of golf cart but didn't know where we would store out helmets while we were at the parks.

Are there any lockers at the bus stop or marina for helmet storage? We have been considering doing bikes this visit instead of golf cart but didn't know where we would store out helmets while we were at the parks.

There are no lockers, we have always just locked our helmet to the cable lock with the bikes, and have never had a problem

Bring a small flashlight so you can see to work the combination on your bike lock after dark.

We are considering bringing our bikes for our January stay at the cabins. We would not rent a golf cart, so would like to bike to bus stop and marina to catch Disney transportation.

So, here's my questions:

Can we park bikes in the golf cart parking or is there another designated space to park bikes at the bus stop and marina?

Are the bike paths lit in the evenings? Since we are traveling in January, it will be dark in the evenings when we arrive back from the parks. Is it safe to be biking around the fort at night?

Anything else I should know or consider about biking at Ft Wilderness?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Make sure you carry a bike lock and use it! My bike was stolen from the marina at FW back in Oct 09...it's tough coming back to the campground after a 14 hour day in the parks and have to walk back to your camper. Security handled it beautifully, and it didn't anger me (I was joking with DH that I was kind of thankful as I really didn't care for that bike) but it was almost 12am and I was EXHAUSTED. Could have made it back to the camper and been asleep in 7 mins instead of 20-30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter