Bikes at Castaway Cay

kittycruize

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know:
1. Are there bikes with training wheels (for a 4 year old)
2. Are there bikes with an infant seat?

If you reserve bikes online, do they assign you a specific time to rent them, or can you pick them up anytime? When is a good time to use them, morning or afternoon? Before beach or after beach?:confused3

Thank you!

There are tons of bikes in all different sizes including with training wheels and infant seats.

You do not have a specific time to rent and you actually are not really restricted to only 1 hour of rental. They are pretty easy going at the rental shack.

We rented ours after the beach, I think it was around 2:00 when we picked them up. Worked well for us and there were many bikes to choose from. I would think it would depend more on what you have scheduled for the day as to when to rent.

There are multiple sizes with training wheels, many sizes and types of bikes including infant seats. Normally, any kind of bike you want is available at any time although several years ago they were out of bikes when we went to get them (I think they got a LOT more since then),

You can reserve in advance and pick up whenever you'd like or you can just do it as a walk up. We do walk up because then if we decide to do something else, we don't have to pay. If the weather isn't what we want, but is "good enough" that DCL hasn't canceled all activities, we don't have to pay. As above, you technically rent for an hour, but they are not at all strict about it--they run on "island time." An hour is enough time to do the full bike paths, even with a child.

We enjoy using the bikes first thing in the morning, before it gets too hot and before we get wet and sandy. There are all sizes of kids bikes with and without training wheels and all of the seats are easily adjustable. The bikes equipped with infant seats are comfortable beach cruisers with nice, sturdy infant seats. Enjoy!

I'd be interested in knowing whether children with training wheels actually make it to the bike paths (beyond, say, Grouper Pavilion). While my mom and I enjoy renting bikes on CC, it would seem to me unless your child is a strong rider on the training wheels, I imagined they'd be bushed by the time they got down the air strip to where the bike path starts!:confused3:)

We were there last month with our 6 and 4 year old daughters. We did the entire route including the loop where the lookout tower is, down the runway, all the way down to the end of the trail along serenity bay, and then all the way back to the bike rental shack.

The 6 year old used a normal bike and had no problems. The 4 year old used the training wheels and it was sort of a struggle but she made it. She did actually tip over twice (not sure how she did it with the training wheels) but only ended up with minor scrapes. There was a couple of times she said she couldn't go any further, but after a break she was good to go again. It is quite a distance to do the whole route so a younger child could find it difficult to make the whole trip. I should also say that we live on a farm so our girls are only used to riding on gravel, so they probably thought the paved trails were pretty nice.

Here is a photo of my son on one of the bikes with training wheels. He was five. I am not sure how far they rode, but I know they took pictures out at the tower. I also know they just walked up to get the bikes, no reservations or anything.
2zr2f6u.jpg

I wouldn't bother with a reservation--there are TONS of bikes, both with and without training wheels. Biking is our favorite thing to do at CC. Every time, we've simply walked up to the shack and had many, many bikes to choose from--both with and without training wheels, and with easily adjustable seats--no matter the time of day. Since the bikes are in racks and easy to see, you'll even know what's available before you make the decision to walk up to the shack's counter and rent. I think it's a great on-a-whim thing to do when you're at CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter