Biggest Waste of Space at WDW?

I certainly understand why some would think Tomorrowland Speedway and Jungle Cruise are a waste of space, old, outdated, etc.

But, what about nostalgia? I probably haven't ridden either since I was 6-8 years old...but, I just like knowing they are there! And younger kids still like them!

I understand that things change, but having a few things stay the same isn't bad! I didn't like hearing that they "updated" POTC to fit the movie, but I certainly understood why they did it. But, I still wish they would have left the classic ride alone...

I'm all for adding to WDW, but I don't think we need to take away or update everything out of date.
I didn't need to see Joohnny Depp in PotC, either. The animatronic is very well done, but I still think the ride would be better off without him.

It isn't as bad as it could have been, though! It kinda blends and isn't too hard to ignore, except at the end.

MK - Country Bear Jamboree
EP - Universe of Energy (45 minutes talking about energy, really?)
HS - Sounds Dangerous - hope they replace it with the comedy show they tested
AK - Primeval Whirl (carny ride at disney - its awful!)

The stitch ride in Magic Kingdom is awful.

Obviously I would love for them to bring back Alien Encounter, but anything would be better than Stitch

I :lovestruc the classic rides.
but.......
Rafiki's planet watch at AK was such a huge waste of our time. There was practically NOTHING after the long boring (no scenery) HOT train ride down there other than a ZOO type souvineer shop... ugh.

I AGREE about the Indy speedway- LAME

It's hard for me to imagine something at MK being a waste of space, even the things I don't personally enjoy, and I honestly don't think I've spent enough time in AK to pick something I would take out if I could.

Epcot, I agree with most other posters here in that there are so many empty buildings in the park that could be used for something else.....I understand and appreciate these spaces being used for special events (D23, Food & Wine etc) but surely they could spare at least one of these buildings (I'm looking at you, Wonders of Life and Odyssey) to develop something new for guests. And I'm embarrassed for the Imagination pavilion, but that's just me.

Hollywood Studios........oh my Hollywood Studios. The thrill seeker in me has so much love for this park - but I feel there is SO much unused potential here. There has GOT to be something better to do with the Streets of America other than just having them lying around waiting for the Osbourne Lights to be put back up again. I've never seen LMA so I can't vouch for that........but Backlot Tour just makes me sad by reminding me how much USED to be done at Studios in terms of Disney film making. Please, please update Muppet Vision and Little Mermaid, I hate to see these shows I love needing TLC so badly. I feel like I love Studios for the park it COULD be, not the park it is........it's in the back of my head that once FantLand and Avatarland are done Disney might give Studios some serious love.

Clearly got a little carried away there........back to reality now :laughing:

The World Showcase. BIG waste of space.

:rotfl: just kidding.

I actually don't think there is anything that could be considered a waste of space, instead just need an update. I don't like Jungle Cruise, but they could make it interesting.
Maybe put something else in Rafiki's Planet? It IS boring. But Disney has so much space that nothing they do would be a waste...

Also, I LOVE Festival of the Lion King, and not everyone has seen it. It's a must!
I also LOVE Magic of Disney Animation in HS and I'm not exactly a little one :) I love meet and greets and the drawing classes.
Maybe it's because my first time at Disney was only 3 years ago, so everything still feels pretty new to me...

MK - Tomorrowland Speedway...Although I have a personal grudge against this ride due getting rammed from a car behind me and hurting my neck. I couldn't complain about it, either, because it was my kid driving the car. :rotfl:

EP - Captain EO

HS - Nothing coming to mind but if I could have The Hunchback show back and get rid of the stunt show I would be happy.

AK - Rafiki's Planet Watch

AK: The stagnate water around the Tree of Life. As you're marveling at the nature around you, "look, kids, stagnate water!" :/

Imagine if it were a clear saltwater marine reef ecosystem.

I guess if they returned to boat transportation on the water I might think the water was worthwhile.

AK: The stagnate water around the Tree of Life. As you're marveling at the nature around you, "look, kids, stagnate water!" :/

Imagine if it were a clear saltwater marine reef ecosystem.

I guess if they returned to boat transportation on the water I might think the water was worthwhile.

We were there the week after it opened and one of my favorite parts of that trip was the boat ride. The CMs had "creatures" and my kids thought they were really cool.

~Pleasure Island! I know it's not a park but I wish Disney would come up with something exciting to put there, it's a great waste of space! :goodvibes

They are. They are in the process of turning it into a more family oriented spot. More restaurants and shops and what not.

Disneyland was built with the idea that adults and kids alike could have fun. Walt Disney World was built with the same principle. By removing the rides that are fun for young kids, are we not demolishing the ideals that Disney was built on in the first place?

Something needs to be done with the Wonders of Life Pavilion so its not just sitting there most of the year unused. Something, anything, would be good at this point.

MK - Stitch and that awful Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. Honestly, most of Tomorrowland is completely underused.

MGM - The Honey I Shrunk playground, Streets of NY, honesty everything behind The Muppets.

EPCOT - Ellen's Energy Universe and that building by Mexico, as well as the blank land on the WS... I mean the Africa Outpost.

AK - Camp Minnie Mickey

:crazy2:The ONLY thing that really stood out to me on our first stay was the whole Dinoland USA area at Animal Kingdom. :mad::headache:

Why did they decide to plop a carnival in the middle of the Ak? It is SO out of place, especially in a park that has such great theming around animals and locations.... then, you turn a corner and find this, this, patch of blacktop with rides that typically come in town on a semi trailer. Weird. :confused3

I also think DTD needs help. There is just so little to draw us there.

Dan

The former Wonders of Life complex at Epcot, because it's such a unique, interesting building that's being wasted, and Camp Minnie-Mickey at Animal Kingdom simply because of what should have really gone there.

:crazy2:The ONLY thing that really stood out to me on our first stay was the whole Dinoland USA area at Animal Kingdom. :mad::headache:

Why did they decide to plop a carnival in the middle of the Ak? It is SO out of place, especially in a park that has such great theming around animals and locations.... then, you turn a corner and find this, this, patch of blacktop with rides that typically come in town on a semi trailer. Weird. :confused3

I also think DTD needs help. There is just so little to draw us there.

Dan

DinoLand U.S.A. was originally a small highway town where dinosaur bones were discovered by an amateur fossil-hunter in 1947. The fossil-hunter realized how important his discovery was and contacted some scientist friends who pooled their money together to purchase the site, including an old fishing lodge.

Since then, scientists, volunteers and grad students have inhabited the site leaving a paper trail of notes, theories, questions and answers about the dinosaurs around the site. Some of the grad students who studied there were not as serious as their instructors and left pranks all over the town.

The Dino Institute was then founded and opened the site to the public as a “fossil discovery park”. The old fishing lodge became Restaurantosaurus which features class notes and tacky collectibles.

Two locals, Chester and Hester decided to make a fast buck and turned their gas station into a fossil souvenir business and named it Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures which was an Emporium of Extinction. It was a gaudy roadside shop including rubber dino's and plastic knickknacks. After The Dino Institute uncovered how to travel in time, Chester and Hester decided to build the next best thing, Primeval Whirl. They also added the Triceratop Spin and Fossil Fun Games, a midway of sorts.

As is the story with most of Animal Kingdom, imagineers had alot of plans for the area that didn't come to fruition due to Eisner cutting the budget of the park massively.

The loss of Beastly Kingdomme is up there with the gutting of Epcot in terms of tragedy at WDW.

MK: Stitch or the speedway
Epcot: The pavillion that must not be named
DHS: Backlot Tour
AK: Camp Minnie Mickey. Move TLK to the new Africa theater.

Let's just add up the square footage of the retail shelf space devoted to a where-the-heck-did-HE-come-from?!? teddy bear and his associated costume changes, shall we? :rolleyes1

MK - Stitch or Monsters Inc.
E - Universe of Energy
DHS - Sounds Dangerous & Lights Motors Action
AK - Primeval Whirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter