Biggest Loser healthy meal planning thread

*My Index Card tip*

Writing an entire meal with all of it's components on an index card is an easy way to make planning ahead easy. On the front of the card write:

• Protein or main component
  • Side #1 (at least one veggie please!)
  • Side #2 (2 veggies are even better!)
  • Side #3 (usually a starch)
  • any other sides? Add them!
  • adaptations for other family members

So for tonight my card would say
Roast Beef
Broccoli Stir Fry
Sauteed Snow Peas
Baked Potatoes
*Sweet Potato for LTS

On the back of the card write the grocery list for this meal
Eye of Round Roast
Bag of Broccoli Stir Fry
Snow Peas
3 white potatoes
1 Sweet Potato
margarine, salt

This way you can quickly see what you need and check if you have enough of everything.

*Advanced Index Card Tip*
Buy a pack of assorted colors and designate one color for each type of protein. My family hates having chicken too many days in a row so I try to really mix things up.
Green: Poultry based meals
Pink: Beef based Meals
Yellow: Pork based Meals
White: Seafood based meals
Blue: Vegetarian/ Meatless Meals

This helps you to easily see if you have a variety and to pick something.

Pick from things you already know how to make.

This meal sounds yummy, but the biscuit is probably high in fat and I know I would need to eat several of those to feel full, adding more fat and calories.

I would make that for the kids but have my taco meat on a salad, or in a low fat tortilla-- pile on the veggies! And get some Fat Free refried beans (Old El Paso makes a very good one) and add that to your meal (and the kids) as a side or on the tortilla. Beans are filling and add extra fiber and protein to keep you feeling full. But you want to be sure they are Fat Free if you get the refried ones. OR get some black beans (canned) and heat those up to put on a salad, as a side, mix in with the meat etc.. And no reason the kids can't just have theirs as a soft taco on tortillas or with hard corn shells. Less cooking and fuss too. Make the meat, heat the beans and throw everything on the table to make your own-- or at least be able to sit while you help the younger ones make theirs.

For cheese we don't like reduced fat cheese but if you can stand it then start substituting it. We prefer to get Sharp Cheddar Cheese-- the flavor is strong so you can use much less of it for the same taste in a dish.

So now you have one meal planned that you can use. Obviously you aren't going to be able to make those changes tonight but write this down. Index cards are nice to write a whole meal on. Choose the options you like best to plan for.

There you go! One planned dinner done!:thumbsup2

Now here is where you plan ahead a little: what do you think you are having tomorrow night?

Scratched the pop overs, we well they, are eating pasta. I ate a yogurt. I have 5 minutes til I leave for PTO.

I only eat on pop over, I don't like them very much.

As for dinner tomorrow, not a clue. It's depends on who's day it is to meal plan. I haven't had a chance to look.
I need to go to the grocery at some point, no idea when that's gonna happen.

Ack, gotta stir the noodles!!!!

Tonight is one of my favorite menu planning stratgies: GRAZING! We have lots of left over beef and chicken and vegetables. If you want something other than that you find it and fix it yourself. It's great for a busy Monday night where everyone will be tired from the beginning of the week and the time change. We graze at least once a week to use the leftovers or if we have a late lunch at the office.

We call it "grab and go night"! But I usually save it for times when DD and I might be away at Rainbow Girls or at a swim meet. We manage our leftovers pretty well with DH and myself being home for lunch quite often. But I actually PLAN a leftovers night into the menus every 10 days or so.... just to keep things under control. If we don't have enough leftovers that night, then it ends up being a sandwich night usually.

I'm here. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm here!! :rotfl2:

Well.... we're just glad you're here!

huh???? Pick what, from where??? Hello!!!! You said I was challenged!!!

Uh, tonight we are having taco pop overs.

Pilsbury buiscut, rolled and smooshed in a muffin pan, stuffed with taco meat (97% fat free btw) with taco seasoning. And baked. Probably 2-3 tablespoons in each pop over.
Yes? No??

I'll top with tomatoes, the kids will top with taco sauce, cheese and sour cream.

Well... I don't want to sound critical, but I must agree with LTS that the biscuits are probably pretty fatty and I wouldn't eat them. If you are going to the trouble of cooking the taco meat already, why not just a regular taco night? Offer a choice of soft or hard shells and an assortment of other toppings in addition to the meat. Shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, taco sauce are the "usual." I also put out a dish of fat-free refried beans.... warm and creamy....mmmmm! DS and I are the only ones who really like those.

If you're family really likes the taco "taste" I have a recipe for a Santa Fe Taco Chili bake that is good (it is a Bisquick recipe that I have lightened up). I actually have another Bisquick recipe that is supposed to be an Italian pizza bake but we've made it mexican with taco meat and refried beans instead of the chicken that it calls for (plus DS is allergic to chicken, so we don't eat much of it). I'd be happy to post either of those recipes on the recipe thread if there is any interest.

*My Index Card tip*

Writing an entire meal with all of it's components on an index card is an easy way to make planning ahead easy. On the front of the card write:

• Protein or main component
  • Side #1 (at least one veggie please!)
  • Side #2 (2 veggies are even better!)
  • Side #3 (usually a starch)
  • any other sides? Add them!
  • adaptations for other family members

So for tonight my card would say

On the back of the card write the grocery list for this meal

This way you can quickly see what you need and check if you have enough of everything.

*Advanced Index Card Tip*
Buy a pack of assorted colors and designate one color for each type of protein. My family hates having chicken too many days in a row so I try to really mix things up.
Green: Poultry based meals
Pink: Beef based Meals
Yellow: Pork based Meals
White: Seafood based meals
Blue: Vegetarian/ Meatless Meals

This helps you to easily see if you have a variety and to pick something.

You are my twin, separated at birth! I bow down to your advanced planning skills!!:worship:

Scratched the pop overs, we well they, are eating pasta. I ate a yogurt. I have 5 minutes til I leave for PTO.

I only eat on pop over, I don't like them very much.

As for dinner tomorrow, not a clue. It's depends on who's day it is to meal plan. I haven't had a chance to look.
I need to go to the grocery at some point, no idea when that's gonna happen. Ack, gotta stir the noodles!!!!

buffy..... take 15 minutes today and plan your next 3 dinners. Look at your calendar, determine how much tiime you might have, then check your fridge/freezer, and pantry and determine what you have on hand... and PLAN IT!! If not much time... how about fish that cooks quickly or something in the crockpot? Plenty of time.... maybe a meatloaf or a light "quiche" dish.

I know I've talked about it before, but I plan my meals several weeks (sometimes months) in advance. I start by printing blank weekly calendars (on recycled scrap paper that I scrounged from the recycling bin near the copy machine at school, of course....;) ).

Then I grab my calendar and take a quick inventory of the contents of the freezer and pantry. I pull out a few cookbooks and a pencil and I am ready to go.

I start by planning the soonest meals to use up stuff that needs to be used up in the freezer or things I have extra of in the pantry. For example.... I have several of those foil packets of "canned" salmon that I got on clearance at Target a while ago. I noticed they are getting close to their date, so I planned a few salmon meals to start using them up.

Next up I look at the calendar and determine (as best I can) what our schedule will be like that evening. Since I sub and don't always know in advance, this can be very tricky and is the primary reason why almost NONE of my meals will involve me being in the kitchen more than 30 minutes.

I make a small note (usually in red pen) on the menu of anything unusual that might be coming up, scheduling wise, includding holidays.

Next up, I just start writing in stuff. I usually do at least a month at a time, so I start by throwing in some "basics" and favorites throughout the month. We usually have tacos at least oncea month because DS loves them. We also eat my curried chicken at least once a month, and salmon patties once or twice a month.

I throw in a sandwich night if the schedule is going to be really tight on any particular day. This might be tuna melts, or salmon salad (like tuna salad), or something a little more interesting than just your standard cold cuts.... plus I don't buy cold cuts!!:laughing: I don't like the prices and I don't like the nitrites. I only buy Hormel all-natural lunch meats and they are too expensive to eat too often.

Then I make sure that each week as AT LEAST one meatless meal (often that is baked potato night or an egg night or a Gardenburger night).... and I throw homemade pizza in there about every two weeks.... usually on a Friday or Saturday night.

Next up.... I try to make sure we have a white fish (other than salmon) once a week or at least every 10 days. I can't always plan what KIND in advance because it depends mostly on what might be on sale that week... it is often ocean perch, but last week was grey sole and I think the week before that it was cod.

If I am running out of ideas, I start looking back at old menus from last week, last month, or last year to find some ideas for something that we liked that I might have forgotten about.

And finally, I try to throw in AT LEAST one or two new recipes a month (hence the reason I grab the cookbooks). Nothing fancy, but something NEW. Most recently was the Kugel I talked about last week. And before that it was a VERY delicious, VERY easy pasta recipe I'd be happy to share.
I make note on the menu about where to find the recipe (which book, what page) and if I am making up my shopping lists simultaneously, I of course, will make note of what is needed. (I don't always make up the lists at the same time as it is much more time consuming.... but it is so helpful when I do).

Some meals just call for certain side dishes, so those are easy to figure out. Like tonight's curried chicken..... I always serve it with brown rice. I don't always add a veggie because the curry is fully of fruits and veggies already. But I will probably be making broccoli for DS tonight (cause he can't eat the curry), so I will make a bit of extra for the rest of us as well.

I go back through and start listing side dishes for everything (usually brown rice, pasta, baked/mashed potatoes, couscous, oven fries, corn bread). And I will SOMETIMES list a specific vegetable, but will often leave it at "green vegetable", so I can buy what is on sale or what we might be craving or what we have grown. I will also write anything else that I might be planning to serve (applesauce, pretzels).

FINAL step.... I make notes along the edge of the menu to indicate any prep work I might have to do on that day for another day.... for example it might say on Tuesday "chicken legs from freezer for Friday".... or "make broccoli salad for tomorrow" (cause this is something that needs to sit), or "prep extra veggies for tomorrow".

Last night's menu said "chicken from freezer" and that would be the chicken for tomorrow night's planned adobo chicken.... but you know what??? We had too much meatloaf leftover from last night, so tomorrow night will be a repeat of the meatloaf!

I know that sounds like so much work.... but if I know I am going to be sitting waiting for SOMETHING (kids, oil change, whatever), I try to grab something to work on cause I can't STAND just sitting there. I will often grab my upcoming blank menus and start on them. Sure, things change and the schedule is unpredictable and sometimes by the end of the week there are so many scribbles and arrows changing things around, but for the most part this system works really well for me.

I can plan about 8 weeks worth of menus in an hour (without the additional shopping list). And if I wasn't so picky about not repeating things and not putting like items together during the week, it would go faster!

Anyhow.... I hope this doesn't sound overwhelming. Try doing something like this for just a week or two and see how it works out. I only do it for dinners, but if lunches are an issue you could include those too.

Love you!......................P

ETA: I do change things up seasonally... for example I rarely have a salad night in the winter and I never have a stew night in the summer... makes sense, right? and I will throw in an "unplanned" or leftover night about every 10 days just in case we end up with something defrosted that doesn't get cooked, or we are overrun with leftovers.

Few more things I thought of...

Thursday nights are "light" nights around here. It is the night before weigh-in so I always eat very light. That will often mean a lighter meal for everyone... or a meal I can adjust for my sake. Fish is a frequent visitor on Thursdays, as is my curried chicken or Gardenburgers.

Sundays are often family night (and I often have a bit more time) so I try to plan something a bit more "special" and less "light"...........P

This week's menu includes:

Fried rice.... I always make it with brown rice and add more veggies than the recipe calls for. Sometimes it is vegetarian but this week's was ham. We have nothing else with this.

Meatloaf, baked potatoes, broccoli.... (was gonna be mashed potatoes, but the men were home alone and wouldn't have bothered.... so I threw in a few baked).This was a big meatloaf I made a while ago and put in the freezer. I always make several meatloaves at once cause it freezes so well.

Curried chicken and brown rice.... one of my favorite meals and super low in points/calories. It is a bit time consuming so I don't have it too often... but it can be made ahead easily.

Next week's schedule:

Puffy Noodle Kugel
soy sausage
glazed carrots

Boca chicken parmesean
whole wheat pasta with sauce
green salad

Quesidillas (choice of chicken, ham, or veggie)
Fiesta rice
fruit salad

Taco night
roasted cauliflower

Salmon patty burgers
on whole wheat rolls
broccoli salad

pork tenderloin
potato wedges
sauteed green beans with caramelized onions

homemade pizza
baked Lay's
fruit

Santa Fe taco chili bake
green salad

salmon chowder
green vegetable

baked potato night

meatball subs
roasted mixed veggies

baked fish
whole wheat couscous
carrots

pork chowmein
brown rice
applesauce

baked skinless drumsticks
oriental cabbage salad
quinoa

hamburgers/Gardenburgers on
whole wheat rolls
garden salad (new recipe)
pretzels

Penne with spinach and bacon (recent addition to our line-up)
fruit salad

There you go.... that's pretty much what we're eating between now and the start of April!! Any questions???:rotfl: ................P

OK, so we had the taco pop overs. I didn't eat the biscuit though. The meat was exactly 2 tablespoons in each pocket. I had probably 1/2 cup of tomatoes, 3 teaspoons of taco sauce and 2 tablespoons of sour cream.

Trying to meal plan with the kids now, it's not working!! DD wants pancakes and sausage, and hot dogs. DS10 wants home made sushi. That I can do, but I don't think the Pancakes are on plan.

I feel like I'm talking to myself, that or I'm just needy! LOL

Ok does this sound healthy? Got it off allrecipes.com

Jumbalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (This one I question on fat content)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth (I only use low sodium broth, or my own stock if I had any)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

and this is a recipe from MIL:
smothered pork chops

bone in pork chops
green peppers
canned diced tomatoes including juices (I usually dump out 1/2 the juices)
onions
ketchup

cook pork chops in pan with a little oil (I use olive oil) browning on both sides
add veggies and a squirt of ketchup (I don't measure but I could)
cook for 30 minutes

I usually serve this over mashed potatoes.

Yes, no?

What's quinoa???

Most people think it is a grain... but it is really a seed (I believe). Looks a bit like couscous.... very nutritious, lots of protein, quick and easy to make... but a bit more caloric than brown rice or couscous per serving.

I feel like I'm talking to myself, that or I'm just needy! LOL

Ok does this sound healthy? Got it off allrecipes.com

Jumbalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (This one I question on fat content)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth (I only use low sodium broth, or my own stock if I had any)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

and this is a recipe from MIL:
smothered pork chops

bone in pork chops
green peppers
canned diced tomatoes including juices (I usually dump out 1/2 the juices)
onions
ketchup

cook pork chops in pan with a little oil (I use olive oil) browning on both sides
add veggies and a squirt of ketchup (I don't measure but I could)
cook for 30 minutes

I usually serve this over mashed potatoes.

Yes, no?

BOth recipes sound great.... but I would either skip the sausage (off the charts calories/fat) or use either a soy sausage or a chicken sausage.

The pork chops sound great, but I don't think that I would like the tomato on top of mashed potatoes. I would probably serve it with rice.

Remember.... most everything can be made healthier... and you can have most anything, as long as you watch your portions!

I'll be back later to chat............P

Trying to meal plan with the kids now, it's not working!! DD wants pancakes and sausage, and hot dogs. DS10 wants home made sushi. That I can do, but I don't think the Pancakes are on plan.
How do you usually do meals (picking what to eat and the actual cooking?) I seem to recall that you involve your kids a lot in the picking and the cooking process?

If your kids choices are counter productive to your needs then you may need to mitigate their involvement for awhile My kids are very involved with our meals and help some with planning, but more with cooking. They are Daddy's Sous Chefs! I have a list that my kids each made of their favorite meals. Top of the list for both of them is Fettuccine Alfredo. Not happening! Yes, I have light versions but frankly they aren't worth the time and trouble to make--that isn't what they kids want, they want the real thing. And of course there is the whole carb issue. They both ordered Fettuccine Alfredo when we went out to Olive Garden. They got one of their favorite meals and I got one that kept me on program. Otherwise I try to incorporate the things they want into the menu occasionally depending on how adaptable it is or how off program it is.

Pancakes are a family favorite but again, that whole low carb thing. We are having them on Sunday for the first time since the last week of December. They love hamburgers and those are easy to adapt, I just wrap mine in lettuce instead of a bun and have eliminated the usual french fries and making beans, fruit and veggies instead. They actually really like having carrots and celery and dip and a fruit salad. Spaghetti is another favorite but is not a good option for the low carb diet so I am limiting it to once a month or less (it is actually one of our go to back up meals so not really put on the menu) and I take a small serving and heat up some leftovers or cook another protein to go with it. And we now have a veggie as a side instead of Garlic Bread (the kids aren't happy about that!)

Find somethings that you think will be healthy (like you have done) and that your kids won't hate ;) and start from there. Post them here like you did so we can help you with them.

BOth recipes sound great.... but I would either skip the sausage (off the charts calories/fat) or use either a soy sausage or a chicken sausage.

The pork chops sound great, but I don't think that I would like the tomato on top of mashed potatoes. I would probably serve it with rice.

Remember.... most everything can be made healthier... and you can have most anything, as long as you watch your portions!

I'll be back later to chat............P
I agree with what Pamela said :thumbsup2 Well, except for the tomato on mashed potatoes thing. As far as I am concerned there is no meal that can't be made better with mashed potatoes (and bacon!). But if she is coming to dinner just serve hers on the side and not on top of the potatoes. ;) How do you make your mashed potatoes? If they are homemade with butter and cream (YUM!) then I would definitely go with rice. If you use the box ones, try making them with low fat chicken broth (in place of the water and butter) and use skim milk if you need milk. Really watch your portion size and add extra veggies when ever you can. For the Jambalaya I would start the meal with a nice sized salad. With the Pork chops add one or two green veggies on the side.

And the meals don't have to be fancy or "diet". You don't need to always have new recipes. We still eat a whole lot of our standards but in smaller amounts, with more veggies, or with a few adaptations. That is why I asked what meals you usually make so we can start with those you and your family are familiar with. If you have been journaling you can look back in there and list 5 things you had in the last month or two that you would like to have again.

See! Now you have 2 meals planned! The good thing to about knowing what you will have for dinner is that then you can figure out good choices for lunch. If you are having a higher fat/calorie meal in the evening then go with something light earlier in the day and vice versa.

To combat the whole, "I don't like that" thing, each kid has a kitchen helper day. They pick the meal, do the prep, some cooking, dish, serve and clean up.
DS14 picks out some pretty amazing stuff (he wants to be a chef) but the others want pancakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

The mashed potatoes are boxed, Betty Crocker. We don't eat them often because none of the kids like them, only DH and I. I think if I did rice instead, DH might mutiny! LOL

OK so standard meals for us are:

lemon herb chicken, usually a whole chicken. Last time I made it I scaled way back on the butter, upped the lemon. Didn't eat the skin (Oh you have no idea how painful that was), used my new separator to separate the juices from the fat and oil, veggies and I used a bowl for my rice instead of plating it, rice is a big weakness for me so I use a small bowl for portion control.

shake and bake pork chops - I need to find something that would be better then this that DS9 will eat.

we usually have some kind of pasta at least once a week. DH and I try to use the whole wheat pasta from trader joes (it's pretty good) but the kids hate it so we fight over that. When DH cooks he makes sauce, jarred sauce but adds garlic, mushrooms and ground beef. I typically eat the sauce on one piece of garlic bread, and skip the noodles, or I get terrible indigestion.
If he's not home I usually use Prego sauce.

hmmmm, what else. Steak, but I won't eat it. I usually have oatmeal or soup.

Ikea meatballs, You can buy them frozen. I make the sauce and the potatoes (for DH and DS14 , I won't eat them). We have lingonberries with them and what ever veggie I have on hand.

That's the staples. Everything else really depends on what we are doing, if DH is home.
We eat out a lot! I'm trying to slow that down.

Wanted to post this link in response to the Shake and Bake. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan_chicken/ We made this a few weeks ago and DH and I thought it was very much like Shake and Bake. My kids really liked it. You could use it on Pork Chops or Chicken.

You don't need to use all that butter, in fact you could just use milk. If you think you can get away with it substitute Whole Wheat breadcrumbs. I am guessing that this will have much less salt than Shake and Bake and you can control the flavors and the amount of fats.

When we were using whole wheat pasta and the kids didn't like it we did give up that battle. And since regular pasta is cheap and ww isn't we would just boil 2 pots of water and make both kinds. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

It sounds like you have done a good job adapting your Roasted Chicken.

Wanted to post this link in response to the Shake and Bake. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan_chicken/ We made this a few weeks ago and DH and I thought it was very much like Shake and Bake. My kids really liked it. You could use it on Pork Chops or Chicken.

You don't need to use all that butter, in fact you could just use milk. If you think you can get away with it substitute Whole Wheat breadcrumbs. I am guessing that this will have much less salt than Shake and Bake and you can control the flavors and the amount of fats.

When we were using whole wheat pasta and the kids didn't like it we did give up that battle. And since regular pasta is cheap and ww isn't we would just boil 2 pots of water and make both kinds. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

It sounds like you have done a good job adapting your Roasted Chicken.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it. We'll see if it passes the DS9 test! LOL

Buffy.....

Give me a few ideas of your kids basic likes and dislikes and I'll try to come up with a few basic meals for you.

A few of our VERY BASIC go-to meals include the salmon patties I mentioned before.... served like burgers on light whole wheat rolls or Sandwich Thins.... served with a green veggie side and sometimes apple sauce. If they don't care for the salmon, have you ever tried the Boca chicken patties?? They are fairly low fat and very tasty and quick..... I use them for chicken patty sandwiches and for light chicken parmesean. They are breaded, so they are nice and crispy.

Another easy basic (but a bit pricey) is pork tenderloin. The Hormel line of all-natural ones are really delicious. They come marinated in a variety of things... we like the maple bourbon and teriyaki... there is also lemon pepper and plain. The nice thing about them is that they are VERY lean and they cook up fairly quickly without any fuss.... 45 minutes in the oven or on the grill. A side dish plus a veggie and we are good to go with these.

Do they eat eggs? Those are so versatile and easy to modify for a lower fat end product. I make the Bisquick Impossible Veggie pie.... but I use the Heart-Smart Bisquick that is lower in fat. Then I make two or three pies at once (so we have leftovers and for variety). I usually make a bacon and cheese one (small portion of bacon and lowfat cheese) for the men, a veggie and cheese one, and a VERY LIGHT one (egg whites and veggies) for me! It is kind of like quiche without the crust. Usually serve this with fruit salad.... I figure no need for starch, as there is Bisquick in the pie, plus no need for extra veggies.

How are they about soup??? Homemade soup is so simple and it is easy to make soup "light". I make homemade "chicken" soup... but it is mostly a chicken stock and usually has very little actual chicken in it... just whatever is left on the carcass when I cook it down to make the stock. I usually make it mostly a vegetable soup.... carrots, onions, celery are the basics.... sometimes I throw in corn and black beans.... I've also added peas, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, mushrooms. If I am serving lots of people, I will throw in noodles.... usually whole wheat but sometimes basic egg noodles. If I am trying to keep it really light, I cook the noodles separately. Then everyone who WANTS noodles can put a portion in the bottom of their bowl and ladle the soup on top of them. And I can avoid the noodles if I want. Homemade soup with a side of toast, biscuits, or corn muffins is pretty quick and easy and cheap.

I'll try to think up some more stuff for you today. TTYL...............P

Buffy.....

Give me a few ideas of your kids basic likes and dislikes and I'll try to come up with a few basic meals for you.

A few of our VERY BASIC go-to meals include the salmon patties I mentioned before.... served like burgers on light whole wheat rolls or Sandwich Thins.... served with a green veggie side and sometimes apple sauce. If they don't care for the salmon, have you ever tried the Boca chicken patties?? They are fairly low fat and very tasty and quick..... I use them for chicken patty sandwiches and for light chicken parmesean. They are breaded, so they are nice and crispy.

Another easy basic (but a bit pricey) is pork tenderloin. The Hormel line of all-natural ones are really delicious. They come marinated in a variety of things... we like the maple bourbon and teriyaki... there is also lemon pepper and plain. The nice thing about them is that they are VERY lean and they cook up fairly quickly without any fuss.... 45 minutes in the oven or on the grill. A side dish plus a veggie and we are good to go with these.

Do they eat eggs? Those are so versatile and easy to modify for a lower fat end product. I make the Bisquick Impossible Veggie pie.... but I use the Heart-Smart Bisquick that is lower in fat. Then I make two or three pies at once (so we have leftovers and for variety). I usually make a bacon and cheese one (small portion of bacon and lowfat cheese) for the men, a veggie and cheese one, and a VERY LIGHT one (egg whites and veggies) for me! It is kind of like quiche without the crust. Usually serve this with fruit salad.... I figure no need for starch, as there is Bisquick in the pie, plus no need for extra veggies.

How are they about soup??? Homemade soup is so simple and it is easy to make soup "light". I make homemade "chicken" soup... but it is mostly a chicken stock and usually has very little actual chicken in it... just whatever is left on the carcass when I cook it down to make the stock. I usually make it mostly a vegetable soup.... carrots, onions, celery are the basics.... sometimes I throw in corn and black beans.... I've also added peas, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, mushrooms. If I am serving lots of people, I will throw in noodles.... usually whole wheat but sometimes basic egg noodles. If I am trying to keep it really light, I cook the noodles separately. Then everyone who WANTS noodles can put a portion in the bottom of their bowl and ladle the soup on top of them. And I can avoid the noodles if I want. Homemade soup with a side of toast, biscuits, or corn muffins is pretty quick and easy and cheap.

I'll try to think up some more stuff for you today. TTYL...............P

They all like salmon, I need to grab your salmon cake recipe. And they all like sushi and shrimp.

DS14 likes just about everything. Loves lamb, pork, chicken, fish. You name it, he'll probably eat it.

DS10 likes beef tips and egg noodles, chicken, hamburgers, pasta

DS9 likes steak, pasta with butter (no sauce), and pork (he's my pickiest eater)

DD5 likes to graze. she really doesn't eat much of one thing. She loves veggies though.

The don't like eggs. Well DS14 does but not very often.

I just bought a soup cookbook but it's getting close to the time to stop the soups and start the grill. I need to get it cleaned and replace the grates. We haven't used it in 2 years so I need to do some work on it.

ETA: they love salads and veggies too.

They all like salmon, I need to grab your salmon cake recipe. And they all like sushi and shrimp.

DS14 likes just about everything. Loves lamb, pork, chicken, fish. You name it, he'll probably eat it.

DS10 likes beef tips and egg noodles, chicken, hamburgers, pasta

DS9 likes steak, pasta with butter (no sauce), and pork (he's my pickiest eater)

DD5 likes to graze. she really doesn't eat much of one thing. She loves veggies though.

The don't like eggs. Well DS14 does but not very often.

I just bought a soup cookbook but it's getting close to the time to stop the soups and start the grill. I need to get it cleaned and replace the grates. We haven't used it in 2 years so I need to do some work on it.

ETA: they love salads and veggies too.

Yikes! Tough crowd!

My recipe for homemade salmon cakes is on the BL recipe thread. But I was thinking of the frozen ones I buy..... Ocean Beauty is the brand name. They have two type.... plain and herb crusted. The herb crusted are delicious. They are a bit on the pricey side, but you can't beat them for taste and quick and easy!

Shrimp eaters.... grilled shrimp, shrimp skewers, salad topped with cold shrimp, teriyaki shrimp stir-fry. We aren't big shrimp eaters here. In fact, I have three bags of frozen shrimp in my freezer (long story) and they will probably go bad before I use them up!

Will most of them eat hamburg?? I have a good hamburg soup recipe.... although you're right... soup weather is nearly done.... but I push it as long as I can!

If they all like pasta, it seems like that should be a frequent option. But I can't remember if they will eat the whole wheat?? If they aren't big on the whole wheat, perhaps you could at least mix part whole wheat and part white pasta in the same pot.... if it has sauce on it you can't see the color difference.

How about shish-kebobs?? It might make things a bit more complicated to start, but you could do a few beef, a few chicken, and a few shrimp ones.... everyone could pick their favorite meat and veggies and make their own. If you diced up all of the meat at once and marinated it.... then use what you need for that meal and freeze the rest.... then you could prepare enough for several meals at once. Next time you want this again, you would have the diced/marinated meats already to go... put each in their own small ziploc and then put all of the ziplocs together in one bag marked "skewer meats" or something like that.

We enjoy steak tips here occasionally..... highly caloric, but easy and delicious. I put them in a freezer bag with the marinade the day I buy them. They go straight to the freezer like that. In the winter I cook them on the George Foreman grill (which I hate cleaning). Mashed potatoes and a green veggie and my family is very happy! In a pinch I use the Idahoan brand of instant potatoes. Honestly.... I think they are better than my "real" mashed potatoes!! And unbelievably quick and easy... and not terribly fatty!

How are they with salads? I could share my recipe for salad topped with grilled chicken and mango.

Another thing I did recently that was pretty easy was top boneless pork loin chops (or was it chicken breast???) with pineapple mango salsa. It was delicious and super easy. I just cooked the meat on the stove top and then topped each piece with a few TB of the salsa when they were done cooking.... just long enough to warm the salsa. Served with brown rice and a veggie. You could use your grill for that except for the final step.

For your "non-veggie" folks..... have you tried oven roasting any of the veggies? We roast broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans.... you name it, we probably tried roasting it! DS is the only one who still prefers his broccoli steamed.

Would they be interested in Penne with bacon and spinach?? That is a fairly new recipe for me and we really enjoy it. It is super easy... I could post it later if you want.

I'll be thinking some more today! TTYL................P

Hello Planning Peeps! :goodvibes

LTS, if pjlla salutes your planning skills you know that you have reached the pinnacle of planning! :cool2: She is hands down the best planner of the BL crowd but it looks like she may be sharing that title soon with you! :thumbsup2

Buffy, I bet you will be a number one planner here in no time. :flower3:

Pamela, I would like to hear more about your fried rice recipe. We have tried many fried rice recipes at home -- they just aren't the same -- probably missing all that tasty fat! :rotfl:

We are getting ready to go to Seattle and Vancouver for a few days for spring break next week so this is use it or lose it week. I only had to buy a little meat and a few veggies this morning to get through the week. Some of my menu items may not sound as "lifestyle friendly" as they could but I easily take care of that with portion control and cooking just enough so there are no leftovers.

meatloaf
mashed potatoes
green beans

burritos (w/ fat free refried beans)
yellow rice
frozen broccoli/cauliflower

chicken curry w/ veggies
brown rice

spagetti w/ meat sauce
salad

Now that I have that out of the way I will need to think of my plan for our travels. Luckily we are staying at my Mom's house all but one night so we can cook for ourselves. The bad news is that Mom is a snowbird and just taking her place back from a rental so we will be starting from scratch with everything. I think she is thinking that we will eat out more because she keeps saying "we are on vacation!" ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter