• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

camnhan said:
Well, if my DH is home then I try to get to bed by around 9:30 or so and get up at 5:30...if he is not then it is more like 11 when I get to settle in. I don't sleep well however...I usually sleep a couple hours then am up for a couple hours tossing and mind racing trying to figure out how many more hours I have to sleep :rotfl:

I wish I slept more peacefully but have never been able to get my mind to quiet down...

I have the same problem. Once my mind starts that's it. I've tried praying, reading, stretching and mentally trying too relax my body too. Maybe meditation is next. Has anyone found this to help?

STLnative said:
Hi, everyone! I just got back in from my run/walk (a little more running every time). I know there are a few other Sherlock/Doctor Who fans on this board, so I thought I'd share my immensely silly (but so far successful) motivation strategy for working out.

It started when a friend sent me one of those someecards as a joke when I told him I was trying to get fit again. It said, "I work out because I know I would've been the first to die in the Hunger Games."

Once I stopped laughing, I realized I could probably come up with a bunch of examples from other things I like. Basically they're all along the lines of, "You just never know when you'll need to:

- chase down a cab containing a serial killer (Sherlock)
- bet your friend that you can spontaneously run the New York City marathon tomorrow (How I Met Your Mother) :lmao:

or outrun:
- the zombie apocalypse (The Walking Dead)
- evil plastic mannequins brought to life, the Silence, the Weeping Angels (Doctor Who)
- Death Eaters (Harry Potter)
- Reavers (Firefly)

Like I said, it's unbelievably goofy. But it's consistently been getting me through one more interval of running than I managed on my previous workout day, so what do I care? :thumbsup2

I usually aim for around 7 hours, going to bed at 1 am and getting up at 8. It's hard to go to bed earlier, because I don't get home from classes until nearly 9 pm and the late evenings are the only time I have with my OH (and even then, I'm still usually doing homework).

That's too fun. I love it

MAKE SURE YOU SENT ME YOUR WEIGH-INS, GUYS!!!

We're on a sleep question?? I get plenty of sleep, considering I'm running the numbers at 12:40... I think I posted them last week at 1:00 or 2:00 am.... Yeah... ok, I admit it, I get WAY too little sleep. :faint:

Anyway, I was running the numbers and realized I'm still missing 13 participants. (This doesn't include everyone I've already talked to this week or marked as "excused.")

I was going to post anyway, but considering that at the end of the day I only was missing a SINGLE PARTICIPANT last week (that means I heard from 71 out of 72 people), I KNOW we can do better than missing 13 (especially since I know several of you missing parties are posting over here :) )!!!

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone--going through everyone's PMs, I'm so in awe that so many of us around the world are represented and working on this one day at a time, one week at a time, one weigh-in at a time, and it's so overwhelming and moving to me to get to represent all of our efforts with those stats!!! (I know, it takes a special kind of person to get emotional about statistics.) But really, I love to see that little retention percentage show how many of us are sticking with it and connecting with each other and taking up the challenge of living healthfully with us each day in our daily lives, at home with our families but also here on the DIS. :)

So check your inbox, you thirteen of you, and see if I sent you a reminder! I'd love to hear from you, even if it's just to say "good Lord I don't want to get on a scale this week." I'm going to give everyone another day to get to me and I'll post tomorrow evening instead.

Y'all thirteen of you send me a PM, ok???

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Samantha

I had a rough couple of days where I got discouraged because I have been losing and gaining the SAME 5 LBS for the last 4-5 months. So frustrating, and I let it get to me, and lost my motivation to "be good" to the tune of Little Caesar's pizza slices, more than a handful of chocolate chip cookies, some cheesecake, etc. over the weekend. And today was our first day of potty training with DD3 and we spent ALL day in the kitchen (where there is no carpet). Pretty sure Mommy had way more peanut butter M&M's and cupcake goldfish graham crackers than she did. (Though we were somewhat successful) I snacked all flippin' day and I feel lousy. I got in a decent work out at the gym tonight and am recommitting to eating healthy food and tracking my calories (ie watching my portions). I will not give up and hopefully I will NOT have a "gain" this week by the time it's over!

QOTD: When do you like to exercise? What works best for you?

In the last 9 months I discovered something I never really knew before. I get my best exercise in the evening, preferably a few hours after dinner. I usually have had plenty of calories at dinner to give me energy, and if I strain or injure anything a bit (happens way too often for me) I sleep it off instead of walking around with it all day, which usually makes it feel fine by the next morning!
Question of the Day

20 years ago the average length of sleep was 7 1/2 hours. The average is now down to 6 1/2.

How much do you sleep? What time do you go to bed?

My late-night working out has a difficult side effect: it gives me energy and makes it harder for me fall asleep. I often take some melatonin to help the process on those nights. (I don a late-night gym run 2-3 times a week). Plus my husband and I have been on different coasts for most of the last 2 months, and I'm -terrible- at getting to bed without him. So it's running like 6-7 hours -every- night. Not feeling top notch. When he's with me it's more like 6.5 to 8.5 hrs/night, because he needs more sleep than me, and is often eager to get to bed at a decent hour.

Good Tuesday morning everyone.

Just when I thought school couldn't get any worse it did. My computer started to give me some trouble and woulden't print out some papers that I needed for the math meet after school. Then the bus came and when we got on I asked where was the other high school we drive with. I was told we had to go pick them up.:confused3 This meant we had to go east to pick them up and then drive west past my school to get to the meet. Now the meet couldn't start without us since we bring the questions and the answer sheets. It worked out but I was on that bus for a very long time yesterday.

Question of the Day

Some people feel meditation will change your life for good.

Have you ever tried meditation? If you did do you think it helped you?

If you would like to try it Yoga Journal has a 28 day meditation journey at their website

http://www.yogajournal.com/meditationrevolution/

I use the breathing to help me get to sleep when my brain is running at full speed.

Have a happy and healthy day.

So has everyone's McDonalds got the new menus with the calorie counts on them??
OMG....it makes me sickro think I have eaten that many calories in one small meal!!!
Thank you McDonalds for helping me on my journey and opening my eyes!!!

Question of the Day

I have tried meditation and feel like it does help me when I am feeling frazzled and my mind is racing with everything that needs to get done. I enjoy just sitting peacefully, deep breathing, and relaxing. I also enjoy yoga, but the Saturday class I usually take was cancelled during the summer. I am hoping it starts back up here in the next couple weeks. It's too hard to take a weekday class. An hour fitness class followed by a yoga class is just too long to be away from my boys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Tuesday Morning! I only have a couple minutes before my students rush in here. Tuesdays are an easy day for me at work. My students have an extra class with the counselor, so I end up with 2 free periods. Yay! I did all my mid-term grades last night, so I will use my free period to grade papers and read. I have found that now that I am back to work, I don't get the chance to read as much. I read all summer long, then school starts and I have no time. When I do sit down to read, I usually fall asleep! Anyhow, I am rambling now.

I am hoping to really kick my eating and exercise into gear. I have been stuck at this plateau for awhile now and I am starting to get frustrated. I am following WW and work out at the gym and at home, but the weight is not budging. I'd like to lose 7-10 more pounds. And, with the temptations of all the holidays, I'm a little worried. Hopefully, checking in here & the exercise thread with keep me focused.

I hear voices...teenage voices coming my way, so I better run.

Have a great day.

Jill

Hi everyone!

I've done some catch-up skimming/reading - you guys are awesome and prolific! :)

The sleep question really hits home for me. I struggle All. The. Time. with getting enough sleep. I typically get between 4-7 hours a night. I know. Depending on the day of the week (whether I'm commuting or telecommuting), I'll be up between 5 and 7. When the kids go to bed, I get to work on the laptop, catching up on some work, some non-work things that just didn't fit into the day. DH and I both do this, watching DVR'd shows as entertainment at the same time. It's a very rare night that I get to bed before midnight, but I'm resolving to make a better effort at this.

Might not be this week, though - it's crazy around here! DH and I fly to Orlando early Friday morning - without the kids! - for a Food & Wine, hotel review, ToT 10-Miler weekend. I can't wait. I have one short training run left between now and the race on Saturday night. This will be my first 10-mile race, my first Disney race, and only my second race ever. I have the butterflies, but I'm also feeling really ready!

Hope everyone has a great week!

XO
Liz

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!! Have an amazing time, just go out and relax and enjoy the experience....you will be amazed at how well you do!!
Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Just when I thought school couldn't get any worse it did. My computer started to give me some trouble and woulden't print out some papers that I needed for the math meet after school. Then the bus came and when we got on I asked where was the other high school we drive with. I was told we had to go pick them up.:confused3 This meant we had to go east to pick them up and then drive west past my school to get to the meet. Now the meet couldn't start without us since we bring the questions and the answer sheets. It worked out but I was on that bus for a very long time yesterday.

Sorry about your rough day :hug: Hope today is much, much better!

Question of the Day

If you would like to try it Yoga Journal has a 28 day meditation journey at their website

I use the breathing to help me get to sleep when my brain is running at full speed.

I haven't tried meditation for my weight loss, but I do use the relaxation techniques that I learned during pregnancy to help me fall asleep. That I like quite a bit! :)

OMG....it makes me sickro think I have eaten that many calories in one small meal!!!

I couldn't believe it when I saw the calorie counts!!! It has made me stop getting breakfast there on Saturdays. DH loves to get breakfast there - I just get a coffee now and have a bagel at home :)

camnhan said:
Well, if my DH is home then I try to get to bed by around 9:30 or so and get up at 5:30...if he is not then it is more like 11 when I get to settle in. I don't sleep well however...I usually sleep a couple hours then am up for a couple hours tossing and mind racing trying to figure out how many more hours I have to sleep :rotfl:

I wish I slept more peacefully but have never been able to get my mind to quiet down...

I have the same problem. Once my mind starts that's it. I've tried praying, reading, stretching and mentally trying too relax my body too. Maybe meditation is next. Has anyone found this to help?

I will say I do take Melatonin on some nights when I just feel overwhelmed and know I need to get some rest...it does help me fall asleep faster I think but not sure if it helps keep my asleep....
I have to have the TV going all night so that I can coax my mind to listen to anything on the TV and slow down a little....
maybe if a managed my day a little better my nights wouldn't be so hectic :rotfl2:

Good morning friends! Just taking a moment to say hello on my way to bible study.

Well... The poo hit the fan at last night's swim meeting and without going into great detail I will just tell you that our Y has told us that they no longer can offer a competitive swim program for the senior swimmers at this time. :(. This leaves DD with no choice but to look for another team for her senior year. The whole situation is heartbreaking, to say the least. I'm devasted for DD. we never imagined that they would essentially hand her her walking papers. I believe she was committed to remaining a TigerShark come he** or high water, but the Y has left her with no choice.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit here. I've shed more tears over this than I care to admit. Yesterday was definitely a black day here...my Dad started radiation, DD's mouse died, and her dreams of graduating as a TigerShark were smashed. We decided that for her picture of the day for yesterday it will be a photo of an atom bomb in full explosion, mushroom cloud and all.

Trying hard to keep it all in perspective for she and I....we are safe and healthy, as our our loved ones. We have a roof over our heads and food on our table. We have each other and she can continue to swim, albeit for another team. It is just a bitter pill to swallow for now.

Off to bible study....I really need the prayer time today especially! I'll be back later to chat and answer the QOTD.............P

myweegirls said:
Hi everyone!

I've done some catch-up skimming/reading - you guys are awesome and prolific! :)

The sleep question really hits home for me. I struggle All. The. Time. with getting enough sleep. I typically get between 4-7 hours a night. I know. Depending on the day of the week (whether I'm commuting or telecommuting), I'll be up between 5 and 7. When the kids go to bed, I get to work on the laptop, catching up on some work, some non-work things that just didn't fit into the day. DH and I both do this, watching DVR'd shows as entertainment at the same time. It's a very rare night that I get to bed before midnight, but I'm resolving to make a better effort at this.

Might not be this week, though - it's crazy around here! DH and I fly to Orlando early Friday morning - without the kids! - for a Food & Wine, hotel review, ToT 10-Miler weekend. I can't wait. I have one short training run left between now and the race on Saturday night. This will be my first 10-mile race, my first Disney race, and only my second race ever. I have the butterflies, but I'm also feeling really ready!

Hope everyone has a great week!

XO
Liz

Well good luck, I set the TOT as my goal for 2013 can't wait. Let us know how your trip turns out, can't wait to hear all about it.

Good morning friends! Just taking a moment to say hello on my way to bible study.

Well... The poo hit the fan at last night's swim meeting and without going into great detail I will just tell you that our Y has told us that they no longer can offer a competitive swim program for the senior swimmers at this time. :(. This leaves DD with no choice but to look for another team for her senior year. The whole situation is heartbreaking, to say the least. I'm devasted for DD. we never imagined that they would essentially hand her her walking papers. I believe she was committed to remaining a TigerShark come he** or high water, but the Y has left her with no choice.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit here. I've shed more tears over this than I care to admit. Yesterday was definitely a black day here...my Dad started radiation, DD's mouse died, and her dreams of graduating as a TigerShark were smashed. We decided that for her picture of the day for yesterday it will be a photo of an atom bomb in full explosion, mushroom cloud and all.

Trying hard to keep it all in perspective for she and I....we are safe and healthy, as our our loved ones. We have a roof over our heads and food on our table. We have each other and she can continue to swim, albeit for another team. It is just a bitter pill to swallow for now.

Off to bible study....I really need the prayer time today especially! I'll be back later to chat and answer the QOTD.............P

oh, I'm so sorry for your DD! I hope she'll be able to find another team to compete with this year and have lots of fun with them. :hug: I'll be praying for you and your whole family with all these trials and burdens. :hug:

[
I also wanted to say thank you to everyone--going through everyone's PMs, I'm so in awe that so many of us around the world are represented and working on this one day at a time, one week at a time, one weigh-in at a time, and it's so overwhelming and moving to me to get to represent all of our efforts with those stats!!! (I know, it takes a special kind of person to get emotional about statistics.) But really, I love to see that little retention percentage show how many of us are sticking with it and connecting with each other and taking up the challenge of living healthfully with us each day in our daily lives, at home with our families but also here on the DIS. :)

Aww! Warm and fuzzies over stats! ;) Thank YOU for taking all the data and making it relavent to us! :thumbsup2

Good for you! :cool1:
Unfortunately, there are still folks in this world that it won't even faze. :confused3

Hi everybody. This is just a bit of a flyby post. The last few days have been pretty busy and it doesn't like it's going to get much better pretty much until the end of October. That's good though. Staying active and busy is good for me because I seem to snack less. Hope everyone is having a good week.

pjilla, I'm so sorry about your daughter's situation. That's so disappointing. Hopefully she can find a new team that is a good fit for her :(

Qotd for today, I've never tried meditation. With two young kids I can't imagine having quiet for long enough to meditate. Running is kind of my meditation though. That's my stress relief and my few minutes alone with new distraction.

Question of the Day

How much do you sleep? What time do you go to bed?

I'm a night owl. I'm in bed around 1 or 2am and up around 9am.

When Maddie was a baby the only time I had to do homework was after she was in bed at 9pm. I'd be up til around 1 or 2am studying. I've tried to change my sleeping habits over the years and its not worked out so well.

Oh No Hugs to you and your DD

Question of the Day

No meditation for me.

Question of the Day

Have a happy and healthy day.[/QUOTE]

Okay when I first read this I thought you asked about "mediCation" and my first thought was Prozac or maragiritas. :rotfl2:

After reading it a second time I realized we were not on the same wavelenght this morning. :duck:

I have tried meDitation in the past but could never quite figure out what I was supposed to be doing. In june I started hypnosis and now have a light and sound machine that I use that helps me get into that quite and centered phase. So far it has made a big difference in getting me to chill and relax.

:offtopic: On another note I did see my doctor yesterday and got different medications for my asthma, 2 different inhalers, so we will see if this helps. She did say she has seen alot of her asthmatic patients having problems with all the smoke from the wildfires. Hoping these new meds will be just for the fall season and then back to my regular ones for winter.

Breathing better today so I am going to go out for a walk, leave the running until next week, and see how I do. The sun just broke through and it is a nice brisk 60 degrees so I will see you guys on the other side of my walk.

Years ago I took a tai chi class (fantastic!!!) and meditation was part of it. I discovered I have "monkey mind." That means I never settled down, but I certainly got a lot of lists made while I was "meditating." :rotfl2:

Pamela, sorry about DD's swim club. But she's a strong/smart girl, I know she'll find a good fit for her senior year.

As part of my sub job I ride the bus to/from school with my kiddo. Today another kiddo on the bus screamed/cried :furious: for 45 minutes! It was a lot of fun. :eek: I was never so happy to get off a bus in my life! I had texted the rest of the staff and they were very sweet when I got off the bus. Just let me go off on my own for a bit to regroup/stop the ringing in my ears! :goodvibes Now I really want a fistful of chocolate covered almonds, but I am being good and sipping the chocolate milk I just made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter