• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

QOTD: I exercise in the morning but also try to get in some more exercise later in the day. In this last six month push to get to goal, I've gotten up every single day really early and left the house at 3:45. I walk, run/walk, or run (depends on the day) for three miles. At 4:30, my husband walks outside to greet me and we leave the neighborhood for another four miles or so. We're back by 5:30. It is a crazy routine but it works (other than the occasional coyote). We leave that early because we have to be out the door (or the kid does depending on the day) by about 6:15. The rest of the day is pretty full between his classes, my classes (we both teach) and our high schooler's classes and activities.

Later in the day, I usually work out at our gym at work or walk around campus or walk after classes or bike to work or bike home - something to give me another hour of exercise. It isn't always possible but I really try for two to three hours of exercise a day.

On weekends, I go for bigger distances but the routine essentially stays the same.

Well.. I'M not the biggest loser this week .. I'm up .8. I'm over it and going to kick butt this week :)
I *did* run 5 miles for the first time ever today... which brings me to QOTD-- when do I like to exercise?
I like exercising in the morning but with work and it being dark and living among bears and deer and raccoons....I run 2 nights a week and do my long run on Sun morning. Today's was awesome. It was cool but sunny and when I could feel the sun on me- it was lovely. Not hot, sticky, or buggy like it had been in the summer. I do Zumba on my Wii usually before WW on WI day (Sat for me)- again that's morning time. So I guess I mix it up but prefer to get my workouts over with. Otherwise, I can put it off as being too tired and I don't want to get stuck in that trap again.

What a week. Can i fall over now?:faint:

Last week was a busy 1 for me at work and home. Tired to get a lot done around the house and succeeded. Work is nuts and will only get worse towards Christmas. Always that way starting around now. I did get workouts in and RCIA at my church started up and since I volunteer for that program I spend my Weds. evenings at my church now. This weekend was a work weekend and a busy 1. I have 4 more days(maybe) and then its up to DE and Dover Speedway on Friday for NASCAR Sprint Cup practice day:cool1:

Looks like all my website fighting is finally finished. But on the down side i will likely be attending a funeral later this week for the Chair of my Parish Council( did i mention i do that too:rotfl2: ) He had a blot clot go to his lungs on Thursday and had a pulmonary embolism. He died yesterday morning. He was a Disney fan as well.

I know I owe several of you PMs i am sorry I fell behind. I will catch up quickly though:worship: Hope everybody had a great weigh in this week. I surprised myself and lost 2lbs.

Question of the Day

When do you like to exercise? What works best for you?

Have a happy and healthy day.

The morning works best for me. I'm at the Y at 5AM for a boot camp class 3x a week (MWF), then usually do a 5AM spin class an alternate day, and a 4 mile early morning run the other. I add other runs in at lunchtime at work but if things get crazy at work, I don't stress over it because I know I've already put in a good workout. I actually feel better the whole day when I get a work out in first. I need to be home by 6:15 to make sure DS doesn't miss the high school bus so for right now, this works for me!

Just back from a full day of campaigning door to door. 6 hours, 5 minutes. I'm tired. Making plans to go out tomorrow at 5PM with another candidate so it's a good thing I'm already a morning person - the evening wouldn't work!!:goodvibes

disneymom2one said:
QOTD: I exercise in the morning but also try to get in some more exercise later in the day. In this last six month push to get to goal, I've gotten up every single day really early and left the house at 3:45. I walk, run/walk, or run (depends on the day) for three miles. At 4:30, my husband walks outside to greet me and we leave the neighborhood for another four miles or so. We're back by 5:30. It is a crazy routine but it works (other than the occasional coyote). We leave that early because we have to be out the door (or the kid does depending on the day) by about 6:15. The rest of the day is pretty full between his classes, my classes (we both teach) and our high schooler's classes and activities.

Later in the day, I usually work out at our gym at work or walk around campus or walk after classes or bike to work or bike home - something to give me another hour of exercise. It isn't always possible but I really try for two to three hours of exercise a day.

On weekends, I go for bigger distances but the routine essentially stays the same.

Omg when do you sleep?!?!?

I know there's been some mention of eating gluten free. Going GF is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I feel so much healthier. My stomach and I get along much better. It's still not great because I have Crohn's disease, but I know which one is making me sick and it's certainly worth it to only be sick from Crohn's and not both................................Eating GF sounds complicated, but my feeling is that it is only more difficult when you are eating out somewhere. I do everything possible to avoid gluten and I am much happier and healthier because of it. Don't be embarrassed about asking for ingredients. You are taking care of yourself and that is what is most important.

I cut and pasted your post....I am with you sister! :thumbsup2 My DH and I have been doing the GF thing for a bit now and I stupidly ate a cupcake at my sister's baby shower yesterday. I want to die now!!!!! Worst mistake I've made in a while. I don't care if I ever have another cupcake in my life now! :rotfl:

I'm back home and back to my GF habits, thank goodness!

Question of the Day

Right after I drop my kid off at school in the morning!

Hi friends! I guess I am not as chatty as all of you online, but I will try to be better. I started my weight loss journey 8 weeks ago and things are still going well. I continue to lose at a moderate rate, but that is what my trainer says is best. I feel I am not starving and eating well, just making better choices and really looking at quantity. This is also the first time in my life that exercise is part of my daily routine. I am surprised to say that I don't hate it. I might actually grow to like it.

QOTD 1: I think the early morning is working best for me. I was never a morning person, but this way I don't have to worry about finding excuses why not to exercise later.

QOTD 2: I am not sure what my favorite fall exercise it b/c fall just started and it is first time for me exercising in the fall. I will report back to you on this, but I think it will probably be walks outside with the leaves changing.

So, I have a question for you all and could really use some help. We leave for WDW in just under 2 weeks. I am really worried about ruining all my hard work, but also want to enjoy my time. Eating out is always one of the fun parts of our vacation. What do you all do and how do you manage when you go to WDW? I know I probably won't lose weight, but I would really like to maintain for the week. We are typically eating in our room for breakfast, lunch counter service and sit down dinner. I know one of the helpful things of my diet plan is fruit and veggies. How do I make sure I get enough there without it costing a fortune? Thanks for your help!

jbm02.... I am in Camp Minnie- Mickey and I am from Upstate NY. I sent you a PM.

Hiya!!!! :wave2: Your not in my group but I'm not too far from you! I'm up north of Syracuse! Heading your way for Grape Fest next weekend in Naples!

Hi friends! I guess I am not as chatty as all of you online, but I will try to be better. I started my weight loss journey 8 weeks ago and things are still going well. I continue to lose at a moderate rate, but that is what my trainer says is best. I feel I am not starving and eating well, just making better choices and really looking at quantity. This is also the first time in my life that exercise is part of my daily routine. I am surprised to say that I don't hate it. I might actually grow to like it.

QOTD 1: I think the early morning is working best for me. I was never a morning person, but this way I don't have to worry about finding excuses why not to exercise later.

QOTD 2: I am not sure what my favorite fall exercise it b/c fall just started and it is first time for me exercising in the fall. I will report back to you on this, but I think it will probably be walks outside with the leaves changing.

So, I have a question for you all and could really use some help. We leave for WDW in just under 2 weeks. I am really worried about ruining all my hard work, but also want to enjoy my time. Eating out is always one of the fun parts of our vacation. What do you all do and how do you manage when you go to WDW? I know I probably won't lose weight, but I would really like to maintain for the week. We are typically eating in our room for breakfast, lunch counter service and sit down dinner. I know one of the helpful things of my diet plan is fruit and veggies. How do I make sure I get enough there without it costing a fortune? Thanks for your help!

I'm not going to lie....when I go on vacation, and specifically Disney, I do not diet at all. I eat what I want, when I want and don't worry about it at all. My vacation is not a time to stress over food. As far as your fruits and stuff, use your snack credits or order the kids meals with the fruit as the side dish for your counter service meals. :thumbsup2

Last week was a busy 1 for me at work and home. Tired to get a lot done around the house and succeeded. Work is nuts and will only get worse towards Christmas. Always that way starting around now. I did get workouts in and RCIA at my church started up and since I volunteer for that program I spend my Weds. evenings at my church now. This weekend was a work weekend and a busy 1. I have 4 more days(maybe) and then its up to DE and Dover Speedway on Friday for NASCAR Sprint Cup practice day:cool1:

Looks like all my website fighting is finally finished. But on the down side i will likely be attending a funeral later this week for the Chair of my Parish Council( did i mention i do that too:rotfl2: ) He had a blot clot go to his lungs on Thursday and had a pulmonary embolism. He died yesterday morning. He was a Disney fan as well.

I know I owe several of you PMs i am sorry I fell behind. I will catch up quickly though:worship: Hope everybody had a great weigh in this week. I surprised myself and lost 2lbs.

You need a :hug: . What a rough week! I hope you have a relaxing week this coming week. I'm so sorry about your friend. :(

Just popping in to say I am officially bowing out of the BL Fall 2012 challenge.
I will try to come on when I can just to say hey and offer encouragement.
I put my calendar up for October today and it's just plain ugly. 4-5 meets per week for the next 4 weeks, DR appts, Varsity for DS16 (it's official!! YAY!), XC for the little kids, using my mad photography skills for XC season for both teams. the List goes on.
Sadly I've even given up on running the Princess this winter. ERGH!! Next year!!

Anyway, sorry to bail on my team!! I hope y'all rock it!!

I absolutely love the fall weather. It is so cool and crisp. I love the smell of leaves, the colors, the fall harvest. Not to keen on the rain we have here but it is what makes everything happen.

I try to exercise in the mornings when it is so cool. This doesn't work on days I work since I work 12 hr shifts but I really try on the 4 days a week I don't work.

Unfortunately this has been put on hiatus since I got back from DLR for vacation. Came back with a cold, got exposed to latex and now the wildfires are really kicky up the bad junk and cause my asthma to really complain.
Spent the afternoon in the ER today getting breathing treatment to at least make it somewhat easier to breathe. I think I am ready for the fall rains to clear out the air and to put out the fires. I want to breathe!

Question of the Day

TOday Fall begins. What do like to do to stay healthy in the fall?

Run. The fall is a little harder for me though. I love the cool weather, but I am allergic to fall leaves and mold :faint: ... so some days aren't so pleasant. But I am determined to keep up what I started in January.

Question of the Day

I am so impressed with everyone who gets up early to exercise. :cool1: I do have to ask all of you when do you go to bed? I would love to exercise before I go to work, but I am a bit of a night owl and getting up early just doesn't mix.

I exercise right after work. It works out well on most days since my DSs have soccer/football practice right after school. When I am off for the summer months, I exercise right after I drop my DSs at work, around 7:15. I really like exercising at this time.

Just popping in to say I am officially bowing out of the BL Fall 2012 challenge.
I put my calendar up for October today and it's just plain ugly. 4-5 meets per week for the next 4 weeks, DR appts, Varsity for DS16 (it's official!! YAY!), XC for the little kids, using my mad photography skills for XC season for both teams. the List goes on.
Sadly I've even given up on running the Princess this winter. ERGH!! Next year!!

NNNOOOOOO..... Buffy I always enjoy your inspirational quotes. I do understand how busy it gets with the kids, so good luck and hopefully you can pop in every once in a while. :)

Wow, I just realized that I have been MIA almost this whole week. Still making progress, though. I had to buy a new pair of khakis and was able to wear the next size down - SCORE!

Question of the Day: When do you like to exercise? What works best for you?

I have been trying to get into running. Time of day is basically whenever I have a free hour, though it's easier right now while it's stil hot if I get it out of the way in the morning.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

Mike

I may not be the strongest
I may not be the fastest
But I will be damned if
I am not trying my hardest

Suck it up and one day you won't have to suck it in

Your decision you can either throw in the towel
or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

A 7 minute mile or
A 15 minute mile
Is still a mile

Something for motivation

I never managed to truly maintain during a vacation, but some are worse than others. One thing that worked for me in the past is to share meals. If food is on my plate, I will eat it. But if I share, my portion is smaller. During sit down meals we would order a salad as an appetiser and then share the main course. Of course, you need someone who will want to share with you for that. I would also suggest that you get some healthy snacks and fruit for the room. I find the fruit and vegetable snack selection at WDW very boring and rather pricey.

Good Monday morning.

I have a long day today. I leave here about 6:15 and won't get home until 5:30. We have our first math team meet today.

Question of the Day

Some one just asked this yesterday and it is a good question for everyone.

20 years ago the average length of sleep was 7 1/2 hours. The average is now down to 6 1/2.

How much do you sleep? What time do you go to bed?

QOTD:

I admit that getting up at 3:00 or so means I'm pretty much exhausted by 7. By 8 most days, I'm in bed. That gets me seven hours of sleep before it all starts over again. Thankfully, I am a complete morning person. That really, really helps. I love mornings!

Good Friday everyone, I am really excited I started walking for excercise at the beginning of the week because I didn't want to further injure my back, as well as doing some yoga to work on my lowerback strength. I felt good today , I have decided to motivate myself by starting a big goal. Right now I plan to run the 2013 TOT ten miler, I have been reading up on it and I know I can do plus we are going to be down there for family vacation anyway. I will start my running program on Monday. Also I signed up for a 5k benefiting lung cancer research it's in late November two weeks before my adult only Disney trip. I am very motivated and hope to stay this way all the way to my goal weight of 160, which I feel so so much but a little at a time. I weighted myself today and loss two pounds, that's was encouraging as I had cheated bait on my meals and minimal exercising because of my back. Still planning on seeing the doctor want to make sure it wasn't a herniated disc or any gallbladder problems.

Also thanks to everyone on this board even thought I don't comment everyday, I read everyone's post, some I follow to other post as well. Hope everyone had a good week, and if you didn't we will make it up in this new week coming up

Great job planning the TOT run for next year! It gives you plenty of time to get properly trained and something exciting to look forward to!

Hey guys I'm going to bow out of the challenge. Still having issues getting access to a computer at the minute and dont know when that will be resolved. Just wanted to wish you all good luck and I'll check in when I can:goodvibes

Aww.... you will be missed! Don't be a stranger.... feel free to pop on whenever you can!! :hug:

Question of the Day

TOday Fall begins. What do like to do to stay healthy in the fall?

Fall has been my "very busy" time for the last few years, coaching robotics and being involved in swim, plus back to work. No robotics this fall has definitely lightened up my schedule! I PREFER to stay busy doing "stuff" rather than just "exercise" but I know that I need to do both. Even really active things around the house aren't enough exercise. But it is a great time of year for completing house projects.... painting, yard work, etc. We have been very busy getting the house spiffed up for winter and as such I have left "real" exercise fall by the wayside lately. But I will correct that soon and enjoy some walks/runs/hikes in this beautiful New Hampshire fall weather!

Sorry no picture today. I have many things to do today so I am short on time. I am going to a quilting demo on strips of fabrics called "The Monthly Stripping Club" It only costs me $5 to the bouncer at the door and I will get a pattern and a demonstration of the pattern. Then I have to do some shopping.

I also have to straighten the house and shop for a couple who are coming over. I also have to take ds2 to the phone store to update his phone.

Off and running.

Hope you enjoyed your quilting class. Wish I had the time to do more scrapping classes.

Much as I love love love the warm weather there is just something so special about fall here in upstate NY. The weather is so different each day, almost each hour! The best part of that is the foliage of course! It is also harvest season for many of my fav fruits and veggies so I start buying and putting up stuff for the winter to keep eating healthy. I get my various squashes to store, apples of every kind to eat out of hand and to make into sauce (no pies this year! lol), grapes, all kinds of good stuff! Our produce here is so sooo good and I think it is because of how rich the soil is on the mucks. This is also my fav time of year to go for super super long walks and runs. Perfect for it! I am also lucky to not live too far from the Finger Lakes Region which is home to over 100 wonderful wineries. Once a year or so I cajole hubby into an afternoon out there. I sample, he drives since he doesn't like wine! Hey c'mon....wine IS good for you! I get bottles of the ones I like the most and we are set for the holidays when guests come over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a LOVELY area! Makes me want to visit!

QOTD: After a long, hot Florida summer, I love everything about fall. We live in an area that sees very high tourist traffic all summer long. Love what it does for the economy but am always so glad when we get our little piece of paradise back. We spend a lot of time outside - biking, walking, you name it.

Also, I finally figured out how to place photos in my signature so I posted a small before and after duo. The first one is at AKL almost three years ago and the second one is after a race I ran a few weeks ago.

OMG! Super impressive! You should be very proud of your accomplishment!

I know there's been some mention of eating gluten free. Going GF is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I feel so much healthier. My stomach and I get along much better. It's still not great because I have Crohn's disease, but I know which one is making me sick and it's certainly worth it to only be sick from Crohn's and not both.

Here are some things I've learned in the last year since I went to the allergist and was diagnosed with allergies to wheat, rice, oats, cashews, hazelnuts, and oysters. First, I am not allergic to rice, cashews, or hazelnuts. My GI doctor says that I am gluten intolerant, not allergic to wheat, but I sometimes break out in a rash when I eat wheat. I am definitely allergic to oats. I don't even like looking at oysters, so I will not be finalizing that allergy. I cannot eat peanut butter and have never liked eating peanuts. Nuts in general are not encouraged when one has Crohn's. I also was on a peanut/tree nut free diet when my ENT thought I had Meniere's disease, so I'm pretty used to it.

Here is what I do to manage my dietary restrictions.

I plan as much as possible. My lunch box is huge because everything I eat during the day should come from home. The cafeteria at work is a cross-contamination gold mine, not to mention unhealthy. I pack lots of fruit and as many veggies as possible. GF deli meat is great. The deli washes down the slicer before they cut my meat. I simply tell them I am GF and they automatically wash down the slicer. There is a woman at the deli at one store that I don't even need to tell and she tells her co-workers for me. I found GF wraps at the same store. I cut the wrap in half, add some mustard, and 4 oz. of natural turkey breast or oven roasted chicken breast and I have a great lunch. I usually add a side salad or baby carrots. Plenty of salad dressings are labeled GF. I have found many that are dairy free as well. I like Ken's Healthy Options. Yoplait now makes lactose free yogurt. It is GF as well. It has more sugar than I'd like, but I can eat it and it is important that I have dairy in my diet. Lactaid milk is also GF. I buy Enjoy Life gluten free/nut free granola. It is also oat, soy, and dairy free. If you can eat eggs, I highly recommend them.

Dinner is harder because my parents do not eat gluten free. However, they are very good about making sure that the protein and veggies are GF. They sometimes have a rice dish that is not GF and once in a while will have wheat pasta. Usually they eat corn pasta. I think someone mentioned being GF and vegan. I cannot eat a lot of soy (like soymilk, edamame, or tofu), so that would be very hard for me. I love eggplant and we do all sorts of things with it. Quinoa is great. My parents don't like it, so we don't it eat, but it is a great option. GF oats are another option, if you can eat oats at all. They are readily available. I buy almost all of my GF baking products at either Ocean State Job Lot or from amazon. It depends on which one is cheaper. It varies by product. If you can eat rice, make friends with rice milk. I can have Lactaid, but rice milk is often what GF/dairy recipes suggest you use.

A big thing that I have found is that more and more "regular" products are being labeled GF. You can also go to companies' websites and print off lists of their GF products. I can't remember where I heard that suggestion and it has been one of the best things I did to help me eat GF. I have to be so wary of cross-contamination so these two things are very helpful.

Somewhere online there is a beginner's guide to eating gluten free. It tells you ingredients that also mean "there is gluten in this food." The one that I kept messing up on is malt. It is from barley. Maltodextrin is in some products and usually labeled if it is made from corn.

When I am at a restaurant, I always ask questions. Even if the restaurant has a GF menu, I make sure to tell them that I am gluten intolerant, not making a choice to eat GF. I ask what kind of oil food is cooked in if I happen to stuck eating nachos. There are 2 restaurants that I frequent that are very good about cooking GF. One is a local chain and the other is the 99 Restaurant. Something really important is flavoring. Burger meat is often seasoned and they season pounds of it at a time. French fries, if you chose to eat them, are often cooked in the same fryer as chicken tenders or beer battered fish.

Eating GF sounds complicated, but my feeling is that it is only more difficult when you are eating out somewhere. I do everything possible to avoid gluten and I am much happier and healthier because of it. Don't be embarrassed about asking for ingredients. You are taking care of yourself and that is what is most important.

No matter what dietary restriction and/or choice you are navigating at this time, advocate for yourself and do what is right for you!

In the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Have a great, OP day everyone!

CC.... thanks for taking the time to share SO MUCH INFORMATION... valuable information, with folks who might be needing it! Glad you are finding a way to take care of yourself!!

Hi everyone!!

I'm down 2.2 pounds this week. I'm glad to see the scale moving after the last few months of stress. I need to really get back into my exercise routine (mainly cardio). I'm going to jump off of here in a few and get on the treadmill.

Favorite parade at Disney: Spectromagic! :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I've got more dr apts to schedule on Monday. I met with my hematologist on Thursday. I'm starting Lovenox (blood thinner) injections on October 1st. I can't be on warfarin and pregnant so they're stopping it now before I start my fertility drugs.

Toodles! :tinker:

WOOHOO on the 2.2!!!

Yes! I am all caught up! And it's only 10:30 Saturday morning. Gotta love no commitments. I'm going to ignore all the wonderful QOTDs from the past week (sorry I missed your coaching Kaiti!) and just start in with today's from Dona (thanks for coaching). I really prefer summer over fall and am quite disappointed at the change in the weather. I'm trying to look at the positive side and tell myself that the cooler temps mean running will be better. BUT I have only run once in 6 weeks, so that's hardly helping. :lmao: Plus it's so dark. sigh

I second the feelings about the disappointment of fall starting. While it is a LOVELY season around here and the cooler temps are comfortable, I just dread what is ahead! I was realizing that last year we had a major blizzard the last weekend of October.... that means we could have snow in less than a month! :crazy2::faint: I believe the the earliest we have had measureable snow in the 20 years we've lived in NH has been October 22. And I agree... I"m already tired of the DARK!!

I had a maintain this week and am so very happy. I must admit that I got caught up on my reading while eating a Costco muffin for breakfast. Not off to a great start for the day. But dinner will be a salad with leftover chicken so that makes up for it right? ;)

Need to figure out some way for DS2 to drive longer than 10 minutes today. It is taking a very long time to reach 100 hours. We're at 8. We may have him drive us to visit DS1 at college. Not that that's something I really want to do, but it would get him 45 minutes behind the wheel each way and that'd be good.

This makes me chuckle. We live so far out in the boondocks.... it takes us nearly 15 minutes just to get to the main road!! Have DS come visit us for a few weeks... he would be at his 100 hours in no time!!

Better go accomplish something around here. DS1 left his room a mess when he left for college. Just packed what he wanted and left everything else. ugh I had hoped to move DS2 into it today, but it is a bigger project than I had anticipated. Insert a maid with a scrub brush smilie here!

Have a super OP weekend!

Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Leave the mess for Mom? :thumbsup2

Question of the Day

I am definitely a "get it done in the a.m." type of gal. Sometimes if the schedule is wanky, I will end up with an evening workout at the Y or something... but if I am planning a run or walk, it is in the morning! I would prefer to get up at 5 am and get it done before work than to do it at 4pm after work.

As for me, I decided not to do the Hudson Mohawk Half scheduled in 3 weeks. I am sticking to my running plans but the mental aspect of "now is the day I MUST do (x) miles", on top of the stress of the campaign, DH's unemployment, jobs #1, 2 and 3, etc etc...I made the decision that I need to give myself a break from something. And the relief was felt almost instantly. Just too much pressure on myself right now, I think. Plus those 5 hours of walking every Saturday and Sunday (going door to door in the neighborhoods) are really taking a toll on my feet!! I am going to keep running 4 miles at least 3x a week, and try for a longer run each weekend and see how things go. I might be able to sign up for one in the spring...

Sounds like the right decision for you for now. Sometimes it is all about what works for you, rather than anything else.

I am so sorry to hear about the swim drama. My fingers are crossed that she adapts to change for this, and whatever decision she makes will be the right one for her.

Thanks. The "BIG" meeting is tonight. Not sure what is going to be said, but looking forward to meeting the new coach that was finally hired. His resume is a bit disappointing (has a history of staying only a year at all of his previous coaching positions.... plus hasn't coached in about 4 years), but we are thinking positively and will give the guy the benefit of the doubt for now.

We're also in the college-visit season. DS is considering all the military academies, plus SUNY Maritime and Siena College (with an ROTC scholarship, hopefully). if anyone has any insight into any of those, I'd love to hear it. I'm a lot worried about his desire for the military academies on two fronts: not sure he can get in because while he has "good" grades (93 or so average with all AP and Honors classes), plus good leadership stuff, etc - I'm not sure it is "good enough" and while disappointment is a part of life, it will still be hard if it happens. And hard as a mom to watch and 2), the military academies force kids to grow up so quick. Again, my thoughe here, not his - I want him to be able to really enjoy the maturing process that college offers. But I'm not saying any of this to him - it will have to be his decision, not mine. I'll support whatever that is!!

That's a big coincidence, as DH and DD were just discussing SUNY Maritime over the weekend! I think that DD is thinking it is too far away, but we will look into it further this week. It is such a different thing from parenting little kids.... letting these "near-adults" start making their own decisions.... big decisions that can impact their future in a BIG way! Makes me wish we were back to deciding between the best outfit for the day or which princess is better!!:lmao:

I love to run outside in the fall. A little chilly at the start but perfect once I get going. It's my favorite season - love the colors, the "smell" in the air. We're upstate NY too, but are closer to the Mass border and I can see 2 mountain ranges from our house. It's beautiful when the colors change....

Wow, wow, wow!!! You just gave so many of us the inspiration to keep going!!!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

That is REALLY early. I am a morning person and I can handle 5am pretty well... but 3:45 is TOO early for me. Especially since I can't always manage the schedule to get to bed by 8pm.

But what is important is that you found plan that works for YOU!

Sorry it was such a crazy week and that you lost a church member. Don't worry about catching up with us... we are doing fine. And GREAT JOB on the 2 pounds!

The morning works best for me. I'm at the Y at 5AM for a boot camp class 3x a week (MWF), then usually do a 5AM spin class an alternate day, and a 4 mile early morning run the other. I add other runs in at lunchtime at work but if things get crazy at work, I don't stress over it because I know I've already put in a good workout. I actually feel better the whole day when I get a work out in first. I need to be home by 6:15 to make sure DS doesn't miss the high school bus so for right now, this works for me!

Just back from a full day of campaigning door to door. 6 hours, 5 minutes. I'm tired. Making plans to go out tomorrow at 5PM with another candidate so it's a good thing I'm already a morning person - the evening wouldn't work!!:goodvibes

Get out there and SHAKE THOSE HANDS! :goodvibes

You will do FINE. Personally, I don't worry about my workouts while at WDW. We tend to be the types to do commando-style touring, so there is literally NO TIME LEFT for exercise! We are at the parks literally every minute they are open, then we return to the hotel to collapse and then rise early and do it all again!

I typically try to enjoy one big splurge a day.... not necessarily a whole meal splurge, but a treat. But usually during the vacation I have one big meal that I don't worry one bit about what/how much I am eating. Often that is a buffet meal, but not always. Fruits and veggies are available.... you just need to look for them and ask for them. And stay hydrated. Thirst can disguise itself as hunger!

But what I find is MOST IMPORTANT is the plan for getting RIGHT BACK ON TRACK as soon as I return. No playing games of... "I'll get back on track Monday" or "I"m still on vacation so I"ll eat one more big meal" or whatever your excuse may be. The first morning that I am back home, it is back to business as usual.... tracking every food, weighing/measuring my portions, counting my points, and back to exercise.

Awww.... :sad: I'll miss you!! Stay in touch! I'm sure I'll catch up with you over on the scrapping board.

Thumbs up to DS for making Varsity!! :thumbsup2

I absolutely love the fall weather. It is so cool and crisp. I love the smell of leaves, the colors, the fall harvest. Not to keen on the rain we have here but it is what makes everything happen.

I try to exercise in the mornings when it is so cool. This doesn't work on days I work since I work 12 hr shifts but I really try on the 4 days a week I don't work.

Unfortunately this has been put on hiatus since I got back from DLR for vacation. Came back with a cold, got exposed to latex and now the wildfires are really kicky up the bad junk and cause my asthma to really complain.
Spent the afternoon in the ER today getting breathing treatment to at least make it somewhat easier to breathe. I think I am ready for the fall rains to clear out the air and to put out the fires. I want to breathe!

Breathing is important! Hopefully the rains will come.

I may not be the strongest
I may not be the fastest
But I will be damned if
I am not trying my hardest

Suck it up and one day you won't have to suck it in

Your decision you can either throw in the towel
or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

A 7 minute mile or
A 15 minute mile
Is still a mile

Something for motivation

Nice motivation for a Monday morning! THanks!

Question of the Day

Some one just asked this yesterday and it is a good question for everyone.

20 years ago the average length of sleep was 7 1/2 hours. The average is now down to 6 1/2.

How much do you sleep? What time do you go to bed?

I really need 8 hours, but I can get by with 7 or even 6 occasionally. I try to hit the pillow with lights out by 10pm most days. My alarm goes off at 6 am AT THE LATEST during the school year and many times it goes off earlier. That gives me 8 hours of sleep, assuming that I fall right to sleep and don't have any problems sleeping. I know that 8 hours is enough because I often wake a bit before the alarm.

Happy MOnday to my friends! Hope everyone is well and healthy today!

Busy weekend here with house projects and a family trip to the movies on Saturday to see Finding Nemo in 3-D... and we brought along DS's new girlfriend! She seems nice and is very pretty.

Ate too much popcorn and M&M's at the movies, but that is my usual MO for a movie afternoon. oh well.

Waiting for it to warm up a bit here before I go out and slap another coat of paint on the trim. It is far too cold right now! I hung two loads of laundry a little after 7 am and my fingers nearly froze!

DD decided to deal with her "situation" with swim team with some humor and made a short music video about being alone on her team. I'll post a link if anyone is interested in seeing it. You kind of need to understand the situation of the fact that EVERYONE in her age group has left the team. We have lost about 25 kids since the summer season ended and fall season started. Anyhow, the video is kind of funny and sad at the same time... and I have a "cameo" appearance (I play the part of her Mom ;) ).

I am hoping to find a bit of time for scrapping after I am done painting today. I have already folded and put away 3 loads of clean laundry, hung two loads on the clothes line, and did some picking up around the house. I have minimal meal planning to worry about, as DH is going to be gone for a good portion of the week, so I won't worry about big family meals. I HATE cooking and I take his time away as my "cooking vacation"! :stir:

I found some great insights in my new Bible Study book that I mentioned last week. I can't wait to get a chance to share them with you all.

Off to call my Mom. Dad starts his radiation treatments today and I want to wish them good luck (although I don't know what time the appointment is.... they may already be gone).

Reading a good blog about living with less (in fact, I think that may be the title of it) so off to read for a bit while I finish my coffee...:surfweb: TTYL.....................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter