Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

DHK said:
Hi - I'm Kevin and this will be my first challenge.

This seems like a very nice and encouraging group, so I'm really looking forward to getting started. With a trip to WDW looming in January and quite a bit of weight to lose (more than can be lost in one challenge), I can use all the help and motivation I can get.

Accountability and perseverance have been my biggest shortcomings in weight loss, so hopefully I can improve in those areas.

Every long journey must begin with a single step ... and I very much hope joining the Fall Challenge is my first step to weight loss success.

Woohoo!!! Welcome aboard Kevin!! Glad you could join us!

Fran!!! welcome back!! I miss being friends with Mary Poppins! Lol I have been lax in myfitnesspal postings. I need to get back on that part of my accountability asap. Glad to see you around my friend!
ugh! 12:39 and I am up. I don't want to be up, but my back is just screaming at me.
I had hoped to walk in the morning but now I'm not so sure. I've been stiff for a few days but this feels like someone is just turning a winder in my back. It hurts to breathe.
So I will be taking kids to school and then taking myself to the chiropractor. Unfortunately DH is gone this week so it's all on me. Story of my life, when I'm not 100%, DH isn't here.
Hopefully Dr T can work his magic on me so I can get my errands done tomorrow, busy busy week so I need to be at me best.
I guess I'll try to get some rest now. not sure when a quote of the day will be up, I'd do it now but they are all on my laptop.
I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!

To all my European friends I know your day is already beginning or 1/2 over so I hope you have a fabulous afternoon and evening.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

lisah0711 said:
Which brings me to the QOTD for Sunday, September 9, 2012: Do you have all the winning strategies covered? Or do you have one of your own that should be added to the list?

Winners Set Small Goals - I focus on 5 lb increments & celebrate each one. In the beginning I eased into the new lifestyle: week one no eating after dinner, week two get my water in plus week one, week three two fruits a day plus week one & two, etc

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts - I rest from exercise one day a week as to not overdo it. I honestly don't take breaks & timeouts where food is concerned, I stay attentive to my choices & if I want a treat I eat super the rest of the day to balance it.

Winners Are Proud of Themselves - I am proud, but I get embarrassed by the attention my weight loss has drawn. I am learning to say "thank you" and not say "oh but I have 40 more to lose" or anything else negative.

Winners Take On New Challenges - I mix my fitness up as to not get bored. My newest challenge is training for a 5k. Week 4 day 2 tomorrow!

Winners Keep Score - I keep track of my successes.

Winners Are Part of a Team - this BL team, my WW team & my exercise class.

Winners Make It Fun - Zumba is fun, BL competitions are fun!

Hee hee ha ha hee hee hoo hoo.
Boy are we in luck!
We're visiting a laughing place. Yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk.
Oh, everybody's got a laughing place, a laughing place to go-o-o.
Take a frown, turn it upside down and you'll find yours we know-ow-ow.

Splash-Mountain-poster-web.jpg

A visit to the Happiest Place on Earth would not be same without a little humor. :teeth: And what better place to exercise your sense of humor than with a little trip to your laughing place?

It's Motivational Monday and who better to give us all some motivation than a group of people who know how to have fun -- kids!

Here is an excerpt from a sparkpeople article called 11 Things Children Can Teach You About Weight Loss

You can live every day with more focus, and every week with more motivation.

Here’s what every child knows that you may have forgotten. See if you can apply some of these lessons to your daily program:

Everything can be a game. Why slog through the same workout routines in boredom, when you can add a little fun? Make up rules, shoot for personal records, regain your competitive spirit.

Don’t walk when you can run. Every day is full of opportunities to increase your fitness. This rule is closely related to "don’t drive when you can walk."

If you don’t like it, don’t eat it. Once you hit your goal weight, chances are your eating habits won’t stick around long if you hated what you were eating. Healthy eating involves balance and moderation.

Laughter feels good. Kids seem to inherently know that laughter can ease blood pressure, help your brain function, give you energy, and help you reach your goals. Smiling and enjoying yourself can be serious help.

Playtime is important. We get so caught up in work, chores and a host of "have-to's" that we forget to take time for ourselves. Not only does relaxing and regrouping make life worthwhile, it has real health benefits. Most of all, it will help you stay consistent and motivated.

The world should be full of color—especially on your dinner plate! Splash it with as many colors as possible, paint it like a rainbow with food. It’s more fun to look at and chances are you’ll be eating a healthy, balanced meal.

It’s always more fun with friends around. Children tend to gravitate toward other children. It gives them spirit and makes them want to play all day. Working out with other people is almost like having your own little playgroup.

Adventures are found outside, not inside. Every kid knows that the good stuff is in the great outdoors—fresh air, wide open spaces, limitless possibilities. You can’t find those things cooped up in a tiny, stale gym. Open the door and start a new adventure every day.

It’s important to use your imagination. You can be Captain Fantastic or Stupendous Woman any time you want. Give yourself permission to believe in your own super powers and let your mind take you wherever it wants to go.

Anything is possible. No fear, no self-doubts, no negative self talk, no self-criticism, no worries, no destructive anxieties or thoughts of failure. To a child, he/she can do anything. And do you know what? They’re right.

You have your whole life ahead of you. Here’s your chance to do it right.

Here is a link to the whole article on sparkpeople if you are interested:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/motivation_articles.asp?id=405

QOTD Monday, September 10, 2012: Which of these motivational ideas can you use on Motivational Monday? Or do you have one of your own? Just make sure it comes from your laughing place!:lmao:

Be back in a few for replies.

Hi Everyone. I made it to the party just in time!!! Last challenge I submitted just about every weigh in but I was not good at posting or following along. Still knowing that I had to submit my weigh in to Sue helped me keep going and hold myself accountable. I am hoping this challenge I can participate more. I like the idea of the mini groups.:thumbsup2

Intro QOTD (Question of the Day) 9/5/12: Please introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

My name is Lindsay and I am 33 years old. Married, Mother of 2 boys ages 7 and 5. I was always involved in sports and was very athletic but after the 2 kids I have struggled to get the weigh off. Ive lost count of how many challenges I have done but its been a few years now since I have found this wonderful board and amazing people. It is a very wonderful and supportive community. I have made life long friends here and am so thankful to continue on this journey together with them. As well as hopefully getting to know and meet some knew friends this challenge too. I have a disney trip in 25 days so I am hoping this helps me to keep focus until then and helps me to get back on track after too.;)

QOTD Friday, September 7, 2012: So do you have a plan for how you are going to make your goals for the challenge? Share your plan and your goals big and small for this challenge.

My plan is to continue using My Fitness Pal to track calories, My husband and I have been doing the insanity workouts now for over 4 months but the last month we starting making excuses so today we are re-commiting to starting it again. I also run 1-3 times a week depending on our schedules too.

My goal is to stay healthy and loose more weight....not sure if I want to put a number target on that loss...

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

Yes definitely....I havent been good at tracking for the past couple of weeks and I have been staying around the same weight. You may think you are not over doing it but once you track your food you could be surprised.

QOTD for Sunday, September 9, 2012: Do you have all the winning strategies covered? Or do you have one of your own that should be added to the list?
Winners Set Small Goals- I struggle with this sometimes but it is important to give yourself small goals to keep yourself motivated. My small goal is to earn a predisney pedicure by loosing 5lbs by 10/3!
Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts oh yes I will definitely be doing this on our disney trip with DELUXE DINING....I will still be sensible but if I want a treat Im having it.:goodvibes
Winners Are Proud of ThemselvesWinners Take On New Challenges I am a perfectionist so in this area I can often catch myself hanging on the negatives instead of being proud of the positives. I will work on that this challenge.
Winners Keep Score ummmm I keep score in everything I do....I can make a game out of just about anything.....I am overly competitive to the point it drives some people crazy.:rotfl2:
Winners Are Part of a Team This part I definitely have because I am here with all of you :goodvibes
Winners Make It Fun I find that when workouts or eating stops becomming fun for me thats when I slack....so thanks for the reminder.

Ok I think I am caught up. I hope to talk with you all soon!

I have exactly 6 weeks before my arrival at WDW. I would love to have to carry an empty suitcase with me to the USA because my clothes are all too big and then fill it up with clothes that fit to bring back with me......so I guess this is a mini-goal that is floating in the back of head also.

Have a great day! I look forward to finding out who is in my Mini-group!

Christopher

That sounds like a GREAT idea!! Glad you are back with us!

QUOTD:

My goals:
1) To get to my goal weight. My goal weight (for now) is 137. That is exactly 120 pounds from my high of 257 almost three years ago. I currently weigh 154 so I need to lose 17 more. After that, I'll reevaluate.

2) To work out at least two hours a day. I generally get up and run before my family gets up, walk with my husband when he wakes up, and then try to get in another walk or bike ride later in the day.

3) To continue to make vegetarian choices but try to make better ones. I love Morningstar products but rely on them too much.

4) To not get complacent. This is the lowest I've been since about my wedding day 20 years ago and I definitely am having to find new ways to motivate myself.

How I'll achieve those goals:
1) I plan to run a 5K once a month. I ran my first one last weekend and loved it! I actually have one more next weekend (as a favor to a friend) and then my husband, daughter, and I are all doing the Happy Haunted one during TOT weekend at the end of the month. The races keep me motivated to work out.

2) Checking in here. I joined the challenge, the exercise challenge, and the runner's thread after being absent for quite awhile.

You've done AMAZING with your weight loss so far! You must see so many differences in your life!

I'm glad to see another vegetarian runner on here! Maybe we could share some menu/meal ideas and possibly some recipes. I never use any meat substitutes (but thinking maybe I should). I just never have tried them. I ear what my family eats, just without meat. My diet is way too carb heavy (cheese pizza, pasta). I rely too heavily, when dieting, on Lean Cuisines. Too much sodium. Because of running and working out (and for weight loss) I need more protein, but from WHERE? Thars my biggest concert right now.

How about quinoa and/or beans? I eat both here for non-animal protein. The kids actually request quinoa occasionally instead of couscous or brown rice. I made a fried rice last Friday night for dinner and actually included some quinoa along with the brown rice. THere are TONS of recipes out there for the quinoa.... I actually bought my DSIL an entire quinoa cookbook! And beans are super easy to make and throw in soups, salads, casseroles, etc.

Do you ever eat tofu? I know there are some concerns with tofu and people with a history of breast cancer, but it can be a good source of protein if you can eat it.

Don't forget about nuts and nut butters too.... calorie-dense, but delicious!
I imagine I'm "singing to the choir" here, as you are a vegetarian and I'm sure you've tried all of these things at one time or another.... just trying to help.

Let's continue our journeys to the Happiest Place on Earth. :smickey:

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a FASTPASS to help you with your weight loss?

What if I told you there was something that you could do to help you lose TWICE as much weight than you would otherwise?!? Would you be interested? Would you be willing to try it? Well, you can! And all you have to do is keep a food diary! :thumbsup2

A 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a "food diary" lost twice as much weight as those who didn't track their food. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708080738.htm

It is incredibly easy to underestimate the number of calories that you consume and overestimate the number of calories you burn when exercising. It is a real eye opener when you first start tracking. :scared1:

Here is a link to an article on sparkpeople.com about how important keeping track of your food can be on this journey to good health. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=394

Which brings me to the QOTD.

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely

Have a great Saturday! ::MickeyMo

YES, YES, YES~! I believe it is utterly and supremely important! I have tracked my food virtually daily (give or take a day on vacation here and there) for nearly 5 years now! And I've got the notebooks to prove it. It is NOT tedious or time consuming. It takes probably a total of under 10 minutes a day (especially now that I have memorized so many Points). If someone told me 5 years ago that they had a "SECRET" weight loss plan that could help me lose nearly 90 pounds and keep it off for many years, but it would take me 10-20 minutes a day, I would have JUMPED for joy.... as would MOST folks. But why do so many resist doing this?

I have developed a VERY easy system that works great for me. I think that is the key. I didn't assume that I HAD to do it one way or another. I tried a few things and stuck with what works best for ME! I'd love to go on and on about this, as I feel so passionate about it.... but I won't. But if anyone would LIKE to talk about it more, just let me know!:thumbsup2

9/8 Quote of the day

the food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison ~ Ann Wigmore

AMEN!!

See, I told you that we would try some new and exciting things on this Disney trip! And what could be more new and exciting that Disney's latest E ticket ride Radiator Springs Racers in Disney's California Adventure? (Rumored to be coming to DHS). So let's talk a little about winning . . .

Doc Hudson says it takes more than new tires to win a race . . . .

Here is an excerpt from an article on sparkpeople called 7 Things that Separate Weight-Loss Winners & Losers.

Whether you’re focusing on your diet or hitting the gym, the commitment to long-term weight loss takes the mindset and mental stamina of a champion. You’ve got to have a supportive team and a great playbook to get on a winning streak. In this head-to-head match that lasts a lifetime, it’s all about preparation. Your success will be determined by how well you set your strategy and play the game.

Here are the winning strategies you'll need!

Winners Set Small Goals

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts

Winners Are Proud of Themselves

Winners Take On New Challenges

Winners Keep Score

Winners Are Part of a Team

Winners Make It Fun

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/motivation_articles.asp?id=1732

Which brings me to the QOTD for Sunday, September 9, 2012: Do you have all the winning strategies covered? Or do you have one of your own that should be added to the list?

BRB with replies and my own answer. :car:

Winners Set Small Goals I started with the goal to return to WDW lighter than I had been previously. That goal was achieved.... then I set another goal to hit a nice even 150.... hit it and then another goal to hit my wedding weight of 140.... hit that and kept going. While I KNEW in my head that I wanted to be at least 140, I never put that as my primary goal. My primary goal was always in increments.

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts I don't go crazy counting/tracking on vacations. I allow treats. And I also have a small splurge nearly every week (usually on Friday or Saturday). Nothing crazy, but it is nice to have an extra treat to look forward to (pizza or a beer or maybe a sweet). But I NEVER let the "breaks" get out of hand. If I am away on vacation, I KNOW that the first morning of my return it is back to "business as usual" with my food and exercise.

Winners Are Proud of Themselves Yup.... I am always proud of my weight loss! It was hard work (and continues to be hard work every day) and I SHOULD be proud!

Winners Take On New Challenges I should be better about thisw. But I"m always here for the next challenge!

Winners Keep Score By "keeping score" in the weight loss game, I imagine that weighing myself weekly is a good way to keep score and let me know if I am "winning" the game!

Winners Are Part of a Team I LOVE my WISH BL team!!!

Winners Make It Fun I try to make it fun by finding new healthy foods and recipes to try. I would LOVE to say that I have found fun exercise, but sadly, that has not been the case for me.

9/9 Quote of the day

“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.”

Steve Prefontaine - the running legend held the American record in seven distance track events from the 2000 meters to the 10,000 meters.
And my DS16's running hero.

Winners give it their all
You don't have to come in first place but to be a winner you have to leave it all on the course/court/gym room floor. We tell DS16 this all the time. Finish with nothing left.

We tell DD that about her races as well. We tell her to only reserve enough energy to drag her body out of the pool!::yes::

I have all of those covered except:

Winners are part of a team

I tend to do better on this weight loss journey doing it alone. Yes, I have my friends and family to support me but I'm a loner when it comes to this area in my life.

Don't forget, you are part of this team!!

Mary•Poppins;46105693 said:
Hi Everyone :wave2:

My name is Fran and this will be my third challenge. I joined the spring challenge and lost about 10 pounds. I participated this summer but just yo-yoed with my weight. I am back again and am getting focused. I do so much better when I am posting on here and on MFP.

I am 46 and a mom of 3 boys. My oldest just went to college this fall and I have a senior and 12 year old. My DH and I have been married for the last 22 years. I am a remedial reading teacher and love my job. This year I have had a rocky start but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes

I live outside of Pittsburgh and started running/walking in January when I started the BL. I have to say the people on this thread have turned me into a runner ... THANK YOU!

I look forward to losing weight with all of you! My ultimate goal is to lose 15 more pounds ... but a slow decrease in weight will work for me.

:) Fran

PamSorry you got lonely on the summer thread! I just didn't have the time to post. Also, hoping you search for another job works out!

NBD! I was fine! I haven't worked full time for 17 years (substitute teacher for 8 years now), and of course, my "resume" reflects that. I am hoping that they will at least give me a chance to prove that I am a great fit for their company! I don't want full-time work, but 20-25 hours per week that I can count on would be great!

ugh! 12:39 and I am up. I don't want to be up, but my back is just screaming at me.
I had hoped to walk in the morning but now I'm not so sure. I've been stiff for a few days but this feels like someone is just turning a winder in my back. It hurts to breathe.
So I will be taking kids to school and then taking myself to the chiropractor. Unfortunately DH is gone this week so it's all on me. Story of my life, when I'm not 100%, DH isn't here.
Hopefully Dr T can work his magic on me so I can get my errands done tomorrow, busy busy week so I need to be at me best.
I guess I'll try to get some rest now. not sure when a quote of the day will be up, I'd do it now but they are all on my laptop.
I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!

To all my European friends I know your day is already beginning or 1/2 over so I hope you have a fabulous afternoon and evening.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Praying for back healing. Fingers crossed that your chiro can help!

Happy Monday morning friends! I hope everyone had a super weekend and you are ready for a great week!

DD is officially a certified PADI SCUBA diver! She is SUPER stoked about having this title! She has wanted it for a long time, but we've held off until her senior year.

In addition to driving about 2 hours each way both mornings for her dives, I also managed to get stuff done around the house and such. I feel like I had fairly productive days this weekend.

DS played paintball yesterday so that made him a happy camper. He ends up filthy and stinky and bruised, but comes home exhausted and happy. Guess you can't beat that!

For my "busy bee" self, I managed to get 3 loads of laundry done, weeded a long walking path and garden along the side of the garage on Saturday (before it rained) and got the front steps painted (one coat anyhow) on Sunday. Hoping to get a second coat on today. Fingers crossed that it won't need a third coat, but I will do it this week if it does.

I need to hit the TM today after breakfast. I also have laundry to fold and beds to make before I head outside for more painting and weeding.

I'll pop on again at lunch to see how everyone is doing!..................P

Boy are we in luck!

A visit to the Happiest Place on Earth would not be same without a little humor. :teeth: And what better place to exercise your sense of humor than with a little trip to your laughing place?

It's Motivational Monday and who better to give us all some motivation than a group of people who know how to have fun -- kids!

Here is an excerpt from a sparkpeople article called 11 Things Children Can Teach You About Weight Loss

Here’s what every child knows that you may have forgotten. See if you can apply some of these lessons to your daily program:

Everything can be a game. Why slog through the same workout routines in boredom, when you can add a little fun? Make up rules, shoot for personal records, regain your competitive spirit.

Don’t walk when you can run. Every day is full of opportunities to increase your fitness. This rule is closely related to "don’t drive when you can walk."

If you don’t like it, don’t eat it. Once you hit your goal weight, chances are your eating habits won’t stick around long if you hated what you were eating. Healthy eating involves balance and moderation.

Laughter feels good. Kids seem to inherently know that laughter can ease blood pressure, help your brain function, give you energy, and help you reach your goals. Smiling and enjoying yourself can be serious help.

Playtime is important. We get so caught up in work, chores and a host of "have-to's" that we forget to take time for ourselves. Not only does relaxing and regrouping make life worthwhile, it has real health benefits. Most of all, it will help you stay consistent and motivated.

The world should be full of color—especially on your dinner plate! Splash it with as many colors as possible, paint it like a rainbow with food. It’s more fun to look at and chances are you’ll be eating a healthy, balanced meal.

It’s always more fun with friends around. Children tend to gravitate toward other children. It gives them spirit and makes them want to play all day. Working out with other people is almost like having your own little playgroup.

Adventures are found outside, not inside. Every kid knows that the good stuff is in the great outdoors—fresh air, wide open spaces, limitless possibilities. You can’t find those things cooped up in a tiny, stale gym. Open the door and start a new adventure every day.

It’s important to use your imagination. You can be Captain Fantastic or Stupendous Woman any time you want. Give yourself permission to believe in your own super powers and let your mind take you wherever it wants to go.

Anything is possible. No fear, no self-doubts, no negative self talk, no self-criticism, no worries, no destructive anxieties or thoughts of failure. To a child, he/she can do anything. And do you know what? They’re right.

QOTD Monday, September 10, 2012: Which of these motivational ideas can you use on Motivational Monday? Or do you have one of your own? Just make sure it comes from your laughing place!:lmao:

You can live every day with more focus, and every week with more motivation. I know that this sounds like me. I do lose my focus at times, but usually after a few days (or sometime weeks) I realize that my focus is dwindling and I reel it back in! Usually the scale will show that I am losing focus.

Don’t walk when you can run. Also closely related to "don't sit when you can walk." I am frequently waiting for one of my kids somewhere (usually at a pool) and often have time to take a walk, rather than just sitting and waiting. Even if it is just a leisurely stroll, rather than a hard power walk, it is still better than just sitting. I just try to be sure to have walking sneakers handy!

TTYL...................P

QOTD:

I'll go with
Don’t walk when you can run.

I really try to think of ways to sneak in an extra hour of exercise. If we're headed off to an errand, I'll leave an hour early and start walking. I have my husband and daughter pick me up along the way and hour later. I also often load my bike into the car on weekends. If we're down by the beach, I'll get in a quick ride while they're wandering around our beautiful area.

Good Morning!! ::MickeyMo

We've got a lot on our plate today. Wally World to fill my prescription and pick up a few things to eat in the room at BLT. I also have to finish up laundry so I can start packing. Oh, and I need to hunt down camera batteries so I can get them charged.

Lists are my best friend when trying to do all of this. I swear if I didn't make a list I'd still wind up forgetting something, :lmao:.

WOOHOO for Disney and fall decorations!!!

We've got O'hana's ressie on Wednesday night and Liberty Tree Tavern (per Alan's request) Thursday afternoon. Coming home Friday morning. Nothing planned for tomorrow, we'll just wing it! :)

Boy are we in luck!

It's important to use your imagination -- I tend to try to get creative when it comes to changing up my workout routine. I'm starting another Biggest Loser Challenge on Wednesday with my Sparkpeople team. I made out a 12 week program that I'll be changing up my exercise on a weekly basis to keep it interesting.

QotD: I'm going to say Laughter feels good. Sometime i forget to just laugh and enjoy everything. Plus with the days starting to get shorter and the winter blues set in its a great help with that as well. Just laugh. :)

Good Morning All :wave2:
Love Love the graphics Lisah

Boy are we in luck!

Adventure is Out There !!!!

up13.gif

I need to remember this one
Most days I get started on the daily routine or a project
and before I Know it more than half the day is over.....

A Beautiful Day is a Terrible Thing to Waste :sunny:

making my exercise into a game really helps me. I'm really competitive, especially with myself, so every time I run I try to go a little more distance, or try for the same distance in less time. I'm doing a program that helps you work up to 100 pushups in one sitting (which sounds insanely hard to me). The first day I did it I could only do 2 pushups before I had to stop. Yesterday I had my second "test", and after 2 weeks I'm up to 11 pushups without stopping. It's not much, but I'm really excited to see how I do in 2 more weeks when I take the test again. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me exercising.

QOTD: The world should be full of color--especially your dinner plate. I hate it when I haven't planned the meal very well, dish up a plate, and it's monochromatic! That's when I tell the family we're having a "white" or "green" or "whatever" dinner! ;)

I've gotten in my 3 mile walk this morning and got a phone call that I have a training from 11:15-1:15 today. Rather a crummy time, right during lunch! Guess I'll eat something before it. The call I'm waiting for is from the sub office to offer me this job the training is for. Everybody knows about it, the teacher, the student's parents, the principal, the office manager but it won't be official until the district contacts me! And, of course, it needs to be official if I'm going to get paid! :goodvibes

Well, speaking of colorful plates, I do need to plan out this week's dinners. I took a pork roast out for the crockpot tomorrow, but have no idea about tonight. I am kinda hungry for shepherd's pie, but a bit tired of the vegetarian one we eat so much. Whichever I choose I'll need to hit the grocery store so I better start my list!

Let's continue our journeys to the Happiest Place on Earth. :smickey:

fastpass-400.jpg

We DISboards planning types know understanding the ins and outs of FASTPASS is a great way to help you get the most out of a trip to Disney and take in lots of attractions while other people are stuck waiting in line.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a FASTPASS to help you with your weight loss?

What if I told you there was something that you could do to help you lose TWICE as much weight than you would otherwise?!? Would you be interested? Would you be willing to try it? Well, you can! And all you have to do is keep a food diary! :thumbsup2

A 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a "food diary" lost twice as much weight as those who didn't track their food. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708080738.htm

It is incredibly easy to underestimate the number of calories that you consume and overestimate the number of calories you burn when exercising. It is a real eye opener when you first start tracking. :scared1:

Here is a link to an article on sparkpeople.com about how important keeping track of your food can be on this journey to good health. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=394

Which brings me to the QOTD.

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss? * Yes, definitely

Have a great Saturday! ::MickeyMo
YES for me that is KEY to losing the weight and keeping it off

Hey everyone!
I also edited a bunch of pictures of my foster puppies to help them get adopted. We have a litter here right now, cute as teensy buttons. Here they are if you want to see: http://imgur.com/a/7b9SQ Warning, it's cute overload in there.
HOLY they are just adorable!!!!!

Radiator-Springs-Racers-June-9.jpg

RADIATOR-SPRINGS-RACERS-002.jpeg

See, I told you that we would try some new and exciting things on this Disney trip! And what could be more new and exciting that Disney's latest E ticket ride Radiator Springs Racers in Disney's California Adventure? (Rumored to be coming to DHS). So let's talk a little about winning . . .

Doc Hudson says it takes more than new tires to win a race . . . .

Here is an excerpt from an article on sparkpeople called 7 Things that Separate Weight-Loss Winners & Losers.

Whether you’re focusing on your diet or hitting the gym, the commitment to long-term weight loss takes the mindset and mental stamina of a champion. You’ve got to have a supportive team and a great playbook to get on a winning streak. In this head-to-head match that lasts a lifetime, it’s all about preparation. Your success will be determined by how well you set your strategy and play the game.

Here are the winning strategies you'll need!

Winners Set Small Goalstry to keep to a pound a week

Winners Take Breaks and TimeoutsI allow myself this during my hetic times and for a short time only, as I might not get back into the grove

Winners Are Proud of ThemselvesYES

Winners Take On New Challenges Try to do this

Winners Keep Scoreonly for myself not other

Winners Are Part of a TeamLove to be part of supportive team!

Winners Make It Fun If it's not fun FORGET it!

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/motivation_articles.asp?id=1732

BRB with replies and my own answer. :car:
listed above

Boy are we in luck!

You have your whole life ahead of you. Here’s your chance to do it right. - I am going to try to take this one to heart for this challenge, keep to my plan and push myself a bit more and do it right!

I am now heading to the Eat at Home thread to start back up posting over there - we out more in the summer plus just being generally busier I didn't have time to keep up.. however Fall is here let the baking and cooking begin again!
Happy Monday to everyone - and Great Job!!

Welcome Kevin!!

Ugh its monday. Not having a good day. Dh and decided to sit down over the weekend and figure out if we are going on vacation in 3 days and guess what? We never sat down, so our trip is still up in the air. I hate being so undecided. I am thinking of just canceling it so I know whats happening, but then I think about not going and I want to go, so I dont want to cancel unless we have to! :rolleyes2 I cleared my schedule, so it is all up to dh, if he can move things around.

To make matters more fun though, this morning I came down with thrush! :crazy2: I feel like a newborn. I am on steroids for a mosquito attack (59 bites) I suffered a week ago and it seems those drugs caused this illness. I am waiting for my doc to tell me if I have to take another drug to get rid of the thrush. This is why I avoid taking meds. The side effects on me are killer. :(

Hi everyone!

Survived the first week of school (including a Day One table reassignment for our overly talkative kindergartner...oh, Tessa...) and a busy weekend! I even managed to send my starting weight in, albeit on Saturday night. :)

QOTD today - I really like "If you don't like it, don't eat it" and "playtime is important." Over many years of trying and finally succeeding at weight loss, I know I can't stick with anything if I don't enjoy it. I try to build my kitchen around healthy things I really enjoy and a few treats for moderation, and I look forward to those treats like nobody's business. :) Playtime for me usually means downtime with a book, and I feel so recharged from taking an honest-to-goodness lunch break with whatever I'm currently reading. The time for that is so rare that it's really become my leisure activity of choice!

Now that our routine is settling in, I'm hoping to be here a lot more! Just a few weeks until DH and I go to WDW, too - ToT 10-miler, here we come!!

XO
Liz

Hello everyone! I am glad to be joining you. I started my weight loss journey about 6 weeks ago and have done well so far. I am working with a personal trainer twice a week and 2 days of week at boot camp. This is keeping me motivated along with keeping a food/workout log on sparkpeople. I have lofty goals for myself and really hope they are not too unrealistic. I will say that since starting this that I am enjoying exercising for the first time in my life and feel better about myself since I am following through with my goals. For the first time since having kids 12 years ago that I am putting my needs first. I think that is making the difference. I could use the additional support to reach my goal of 2lbs/week. Look forward to following along with everyone!

DD is officially a certified PADI SCUBA diver! She is SUPER stoked about having this title! She has wanted it for a long time, but we've held off until her senior year.

Wow congrats to DD. How exciting for her. You are such a great mom for driving your kids around and supporting them in everything they choose to do. If they dont already now they will definitely appreciate what you do for them so much one day.

making my exercise into a game really helps me. I'm really competitive, especially with myself, so every time I run I try to go a little more distance, or try for the same distance in less time. I'm doing a program that helps you work up to 100 pushups in one sitting (which sounds insanely hard to me). The first day I did it I could only do 2 pushups before I had to stop. Yesterday I had my second "test", and after 2 weeks I'm up to 11 pushups without stopping. It's not much, but I'm really excited to see how I do in 2 more weeks when I take the test again. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me exercising.

I am so impressed I have done 4 months of the insanity workouts and can still barely do 1 regular pushup. I can do the girl pushups but that doesnt really count. LOL Maybe I can motivate myself by making it a challenge.:thumbsup2

The call I'm waiting for is from the sub office to offer me this job the training is for. Everybody knows about it, the teacher, the student's parents, the principal, the office manager but it won't be official until the district contacts me! And, of course, it needs to be official if I'm going to get paid! :goodvibes

Good Luck I hope you get a call soon!

Ugh its monday. Not having a good day. Dh and decided to sit down over the weekend and figure out if we are going on vacation in 3 days and guess what? We never sat down, so our trip is still up in the air. I hate being so undecided. I am thinking of just canceling it so I know whats happening, but then I think about not going and I want to go, so I dont want to cancel unless we have to! :rolleyes2 I cleared my schedule, so it is all up to dh, if he can move things around.

To make matters more fun though, this morning I came down with thrush! :crazy2: I feel like a newborn. I am on steroids for a mosquito attack (59 bites) I suffered a week ago and it seems those drugs caused this illness. I am waiting for my doc to tell me if I have to take another drug to get rid of the thrush. This is why I avoid taking meds. The side effects on me are killer. :(

ugh that stinks about vacation. I would definitely be going crazy too not knowing whats happening.
You can definitely get thrush from being on a long course of steriods. Most times you treat it with an oral medication. That was alot of mosquito bites....ouch.:crazy2:

Hello everyone! I am glad to be joining you. I started my weight loss journey about 6 weeks ago and have done well so far. I am working with a personal trainer twice a week and 2 days of week at boot camp. This is keeping me motivated along with keeping a food/workout log on sparkpeople. I have lofty goals for myself and really hope they are not too unrealistic. I will say that since starting this that I am enjoying exercising for the first time in my life and feel better about myself since I am following through with my goals. For the first time since having kids 12 years ago that I am putting my needs first. I think that is making the difference. I could use the additional support to reach my goal of 2lbs/week. Look forward to following along with everyone!

It is really tough forcing yourself to commit the time to yourself but it is so important. This is what I struggled with for years. Once I commited some time to get myself in shape I also feel so much better and feel like I am able to be an even better mom because I am happier and also setting a positive example for my kids. Great job on getting started and for the progress you have made so far.:goodvibes

In the spirit of refocusing on my healthy eating:
I tried a really good recipe yesterday. I have the pampered c. covered baking dish aka magic pot. I used chicken breast, green/red pepper, onion, and a bbq seasoning rub. Put it all in the pot, cooked it for 12 minutes in the microwave and then shredded up the chicken to be served on rolls or eaten without the carbs. It was delicious and healthy. I got the magic pot a month or so ago and it has been so helpful in trying to get some substantial healthy dinners in during the week when we are busy with football practice and other stuff.

Just wanted to share for anyone else who may have trouble getting out good meals during the week and/or weekend when things are insanely busy. You can also do other meats or even veggies and casseroles. I am not a consultant and I am not trying to market for this company but it has been an amazing kitchen tool that I have found to be so useful for healthy living.

Have a great rest of the day!!!!

Catching up on replies here. Doing it in two parts so I don't run into trouble with the smilie police. ;)

Jill, hope you are feeling better today! :flower3:

Linda, nice job on getting out to run again! :thumbsup2 Glad the knee is feeling better.

Totally agree. I am my own biggest challenger, biggest critic, biggest motivator.

:thumbsup2

Winners Are Proud of Themselves--I am very proud of the 40 pounds I lost already... I am also proud of the two half marathons I did this year... One that included walking most of the way because my sister who is 10-years younger than me was having panic attacks (which is why training is important)

Those are great accomplishments and kudos to you for helping your sister during a tough race! :flower3:

Thanks kollerbear - this is all so new to me. Thanks for being the weight keeper for this challenge. Once I get enough posts in I can send you a PM with my weight.:wave2:

You're doing great! :goodvibes

My mom is a great supports also, she is actually doing the challenge this time as well.

I don't think we've ever had a mother/daughter team before! :love:

That's me too. The only "real" person (you guys dont count ;)) I discuss me weight issues with is my dh (and I dont even tell him much to be honest). I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is just the way to is.

Nope, we're not real, we just live in your computer. :rotfl:

Worked on making dinner reservations and deciding which day for which park. Finally got my countdown ticker up too! I can't wait!! :goofy:

Your trip is coming up fast! :smickey:

I may be more of a "stalker" than a contributor but I'll write as often as I can!!:wave2:

Jude, I think you're more of a "lurker." :rotfl2:

Mary•Poppins;46105693 said:
And just a funny story about a kindergartener in our school that will make you laugh ....

We have a student that is very physically handicapped. One day at recess, two aides were monitoring/helping him go down the slide on the playground. Well the aide that was on the top of the slide had just helped him go down when one of the other kindergarteners came up behind her on the steps and said,"Are you going down the slide ... or are you stuck?!" Well the aide just started laughing and the child then started yelling to the recess monitor .... "Hey there is a giant up here and she won't go down the slide!" By this time the aide was about to pee her pants! Just thought I would share to give you all a giggle!

:lmao: I love those kids and the funny things they say.

:welcome: Kevin! Thanks for joining our challenge!

Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a great adjustment to the challenge. I need to get back to where tracking is second nature. I will get there.

I know you can do it, Melinda! :cheer2:

Hi lisah :wave2:
Good to be back and loving this journey to our Happy Place :thumbsup2

Glad that you are enjoying it, Joy! :goodvibes I can relate just about anything to Disney -- it's a gift! :lmao:

BRB with some more replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter