Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

I am Christopher. 38 quickly approaching 39 next month. American living in Switzerland since 2003. Started my 10th year of teaching music at the local International School last week. So far the year is off to a great start.

Christopher:hmghost:

I'm glad you are back!!!!!
I hope you had a great holiday last month!

Looks like we will be turning 39 together, I'm right behind you in November.

QOTD Friday, September 7, 2012: So do you have a plan for how you are going to make your goals for the challenge? Share your plan and your goals big and small for this challenge.

Goals for this challenge:
Lose 10 pounds
walk/run 3 miles without dying!
weigh in every week

How to get there:
ice cream Fridays - not ice cream every day!!
walk 3 times a week
Walk/run 3 times a week
keep working toward cutting out the bad stuff and continue to move toward whole foods
track on MFP every day and complete tracking every day

QOTD Friday, September 7, 2012: So do you have a plan for how you are going to make your goals for the challenge? Share your plan and your goals big and small for this challenge.

My plan is to continue rocking weight watchers. I began March 23, this year at 253 lbs. Currently I am down 57.8 lbs weighing 195.2. My ultimate goal is 153 (high end for my height 5'6'') although I haven't weighed that low since I was a child so I have no idea what that will look like for me. I'll reevaluate as I get close. For this challenge, I'd like to lose 17.2 which would bring me to 178 or 75 lbs total loss! In order to continue losing, I will track everything I eat, attend ww meetings, be sure to get in my healthy guidelines, and I will continue my exercise. I am doing the C25K and today was week 4 day 1. I have a plan to run the Neverland 5K at DL Jan. 19, 2013. I typically train for that on M, W & F early morning. I go to a zumba class on Tu, Th & Sat. With having four active kids I may not make it to zumba as easily as I did in the summer, so I preplanned and purchased the zumba for the wii games to do here at home if I can't go to class. I have periodically used my hand weights at home. For this challenge, I'd like to begin to use them more regularly, but am not sure how often I should... daily? every other day?

I think that's it for now.

My 10 year old just saw this :hippie: and said "Is that a hippie? I love hippies?" :confused3

I'm glad you are back!!!!!
I hope you had a great holiday last month!

Looks like we will be turning 39 together, I'm right behind you in November.

Lose 10 pounds
weigh in every week

How to get there:
walk 3 times a week
Walk/run 3 times a week
keep working toward cutting out the bad stuff and continue to move toward whole foods

Its great to see some familar people here from previous challenges and to meet new friends too:thumbsup2
I laughed when I saw your "ice-cream friday"-great minds think alike as I havree started "friday treat day" here:) Its a rule in my youngests school that packed lunches are healthy monday-thursday but on fridays they can include a treat and he really looks forward to fridays because of that but doesnt question the rule so we have started it at home too and it works great at cutting the junk from everyones diet:thumbsup2

Good morning all! :goodvibes

I'm going to go ahead and post a warm up question since we are all anxious to get started. :yay:

Raise your hand if you want to go to the Happiest Place on Earth as we start our Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! :wave2:

Yep, we're on our way to healthy living! :yay:

Oh . . . um . . . did you think I was going to say we're going to Disney? :confused3 Okay, let's see if we can manage to do both. :teeth:

But before we get started we had better introduce ourselves to our fellow travelers. :cool2:

Did anyone else ever go on the America the Beautiful attraction at Disneyland? It was a circle-vision movie, similar to the Reflections of China movie at Epcot. Although the attraction never moved, many people thought it did because of the way it was filmed, so the host always asked you to introduce yourself to the people standing around you, in case you needed to grab onto them.

Well, during this challenge we will all be counting of the support of our fellow challengers.

Intro QOTD (Question of the Day) 9/5/12: Please introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

I am Lisa and I will be your coach starting Friday. I've been doing the BL challenges since 2009. I'm 52, married and have a sometimes cranky teen son. I will be reaching my goal weight by the end of the year. It's taken me longer than I thought it would to get there but each and every challenge, year after year, I end up weighing less than I started. Thanks to several WISHers who inspired me I started running when I was 49. In a few days I will be running my
4th half marathon in 12 months. I've made lifelong friends and been to WISH meets at both Disneyland and DisneyWorld. I've done things that I never dreamed possible because of these challenges and WISH who gave me the courage to start. :teeth:

A big, BL thank you to our hostess, Maureen, and our weightkeeper, Samantha! :thanks:

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and to a great challenge! :flower3:

Hi all,

I am Christopher. 38 quickly approaching 39 next month. American living in Switzerland since 2003. Started my 10th year of teaching music at the local International School last week. So far the year is off to a great start.

Good luck to all!

Christopher:hmghost:

Christopher, I did a junior year abroad at the Universite de Fribourg in Fribourg Switzerland. What a beautiful country!!!

Hi Lisa, and everyone else!!:goodvibes
I introduced myself several pages back but here is a quick one: I'm Jude, 47 (gulp), working mom to 2 teenagers, with an awesome DH, and in the middle of a campaign to run for a local judge seat. I have started several challenges ...but run out of steam somewhere about 2/3 of the way. I WILL finish this one!! I am tired of feeling sad about my lack of success. I will be happy about whatever downward scale movement I have - any decrease is better than up! :) I know I need the support that this board provides!!

My goal is to have slow and steady progress. I am heavier than when I did my first challenge so I know that this is a constant vigilance thing for me. I exercise alot - my prblem is that I like to graze, and even grazing on "good" things is sometimes too much. So I am going to be extra careful to track on my fitness pal and try to get a handle on this.

I'm also in the National Guard and have drill this weekend so I am heading out soon. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Let's continue our journeys to the Happiest Place on Earth. :smickey:

fastpass-400.jpg

We DISboards planning types know understanding the ins and outs of FASTPASS is a great way to help you get the most out of a trip to Disney and take in lots of attractions while other people are stuck waiting in line.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a FASTPASS to help you with your weight loss?

What if I told you there was something that you could do to help you lose TWICE as much weight than you would otherwise?!? Would you be interested? Would you be willing to try it? Well, you can! And all you have to do is keep a food diary! :thumbsup2

A 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a "food diary" lost twice as much weight as those who didn't track their food. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708080738.htm

It is incredibly easy to underestimate the number of calories that you consume and overestimate the number of calories you burn when exercising. It is a real eye opener when you first start tracking. :scared1:

Here is a link to an article on sparkpeople.com about how important keeping track of your food can be on this journey to good health. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=394

Which brings me to the QOTD.

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

Have a great Saturday! ::MickeyMo

Let's continue our journeys to the Happiest Place on Earth. :smickey:

fastpass-400.jpg

We DISboards planning types know understanding the ins and outs of FASTPASS is a great way to help you get the most out of a trip to Disney and take in lots of attractions while other people are stuck waiting in line.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a FASTPASS to help you with your weight loss?

What if I told you there was something that you could do to help you lose TWICE as much weight than you would otherwise?!? Would you be interested? Would you be willing to try it? Well, you can! And all you have to do is keep a food diary! :thumbsup2

A 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a "food diary" lost twice as much weight as those who didn't track their food. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708080738.htm

It is incredibly easy to underestimate the number of calories that you consume and overestimate the number of calories you burn when exercising. It is a real eye opener when you first start tracking. :scared1:

Here is a link to an article on sparkpeople.com about how important keeping track of your food can be on this journey to good health. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=394

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely

YES!!!! It is great for planning and tracking......Bite it, write it! Have a great week, review it and use it again for continued success. Have a bad week, review and find your downfalls and learn from them to avoid them again.

I use myfitnesspal and am happy to be a friend on there with anyone else who is also using it.

Christopher

Its great to see some familar people here from previous challenges and to meet new friends too:thumbsup2
I laughed when I saw your "ice-cream friday"-great minds think alike as I havree started "friday treat day" here:) Its a rule in my youngests school that packed lunches are healthy monday-thursday but on fridays they can include a treat and he really looks forward to fridays because of that but doesnt question the rule so we have started it at home too and it works great at cutting the junk from everyones diet:thumbsup2

That's why we are having ice cream Fridays here too. The kids started that!
They thought it was terrible that when I was a kid, we only got ice cream at school on Fridays. They got it every day at the public school.
I figure if I set a day I won't feel so deprived, and I can control how much junk comes in the house if they buy and consume a quart of ice cream friday night.

* Yes, definitely

Yes!!! MFP has really helped me see exactly what and how much of something I can eat. It's almost like a game too. Let's see how much I can get for as few calories as possible.

Old breakfast
Bowl of cereal
caramel macchiato
greek yogurt
Banana - sometimes

Turns out that's like 640 calories

Now that I have MFP I can say ok, I really want a macchiato which is 130-150 calories depending on which milk I use. So I can have a nutrigrain bar and a peach cup and be at 340 calories.

Tomorrow I can have water, a bowl of cereal and a banana and its 330 calories.

Old fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo on oatnut bread - 430 calories
new fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo but no yolk on arnold flax and fiber flat bread - 213 calories. I still have room for a 70 calorie fruit cup.

9/8 Quote of the day

the food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison ~ Ann Wigmore

I think food tracking depends on the person. I know it works for a lot of people, but it doesn't work for me. I get entirely too obsessive about calorie counting and tracking. I can't think about anything else which makes me burn out quickly. When I eat something with too many calories, I just give up. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's been my experience. I do better if I just try to make better food choices each time I eat. I know what's good for me and what isn't. When I start to feel hungry, I drink some water and wait 10 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I eat until I'm comfortable. When I go out to eat, I try to make a healthier choice, but if there's something I really like. We only eat out maybe once a week so I feel like that's ok.

Exercise has helped me make better food choices. If I know I'm going to run later, I want to eat something that won't make me feel sick when I run. If I ran earlier, I feel healthy and great and want to eat something that will make me feel the same way. Regular exercise has honestly been the best thing for my diet.

Food tracking is great for some people, but it sets me back. It only took my 5 years of being on and off a diet to figure it out!

Hi my name is Cindy. I am Penguin1102's mom. I live in Southern California. I am very excited about joining my first challenge and getting to make some great friends along the way. Here is to a successful challenge to all!!

To add to Lisa's journalling and for those who choose different options.

This is the image from choosemyplate.gov

I know a lot of us have crazy schedules with kids sports banquets and weekend adventures. When you can't control what is being prepared, use this chart as a guide. I try to fill 1/2 my plate with veggies first, then fill the rest.

choose-my-plate-300x272.jpg

Hi my name is Cindy. I am Penguin1102's mom. I live in Southern California. I am very excited about joining my first challenge and getting to make some great friends along the way. Here is to a successful challenge to all!!

Welcome aboard Cindy!!!

When you post 10 times (you can see your post count under your name) you can send Kollerbear a PM (private message) with your beginning weight.

To gain your posts quickly just answer the Question of the day and introduce yourself. If you have any questions just let us know!
Can't wait to get to know you better!

Good morning all!

Catching up on replies here. A couple of important reminders:

Please PM Maureen (Octoberbride03) to join the challenge and PM your starting weight to Samantha (kollerbear), if you haven't already done so.

My goals for this challenge include:

-losing 20 pounds (that will take CONSISTENT effort from me)
-workouts: twice weekly weights and three cardio workouts per week
-staying active on this board
- make more home cooked real food meals
-stock my fridge and pantry with healthy options

Sounds like a great plan, Melinda, and I will be seeing you in about 60 days at the Wine & Dine! :yay:

Hold your head Up High...Christopher!
I'm back too and failed the last 3 I started But Not This Time
We already had some success we're back!

Sorry guys I'm a day behind
So here is my Mini Intro
My name is Joy I'm a Nurse of 30+ years Mom of 3 adult daughters and 3 kitty cats I love all things Disney, enjoy knitting and sewing,
My weight wasn't too much of a problem when I was young
I'm short and always was about 10lb ish more than my girl friends
but still after my second daughter I was still size 7/8 petite
and very active camping and hiking with one baby on my back and running after the other
but after baby #3 I had some health issues that I'm still dealing with
(they haven't killed me yet) and the weight piled on.
Since then I've had many successful starts that are short lived only to end up either back at square one or worse
So Now I've had it! I have a Big Birthday Coming up in April
and the best birthday present that I can give myself is to get in shape and stay there.

Joy, so happy to see you again! :flower3: It's always nice to see old friends return.

QUOTD:

My goals:
1) To get to my goal weight. My goal weight (for now) is 137. That is exactly 120 pounds from my high of 257 almost three years ago. I currently weigh 154 so I need to lose 17 more. After that, I'll reevaluate.

2) To work out at least two hours a day. I generally get up and run before my family gets up, walk with my husband when he wakes up, and then try to get in another walk or bike ride later in the day.

3) To continue to make vegetarian choices but try to make better ones. I love Morningstar products but rely on them too much.

4) To not get complacent. This is the lowest I've been since about my wedding day 20 years ago and I definitely am having to find new ways to motivate myself.

How I'll achieve those goals:
1) I plan to run a 5K once a month. I ran my first one last weekend and loved it! I actually have one more next weekend (as a favor to a friend) and then my husband, daughter, and I are all doing the Happy Haunted one during TOT weekend at the end of the month. The races keep me motivated to work out.

2) Checking in here. I joined the challenge, the exercise challenge, and the runner's thread after being absent for quite awhile.

MB, you are in the home stretch now! :thumbsup2 I've heard those last few pounds are stubborn but I have confidence that you can do it with your great plan!

I'm glad to see another vegetarian runner on here! Maybe we could share some menu/meal ideas and possibly some recipes. I never use any meat substitutes (but thinking maybe I should). I just never have tried them. I ear what my family eats, just without meat. My diet is way too carb heavy (cheese pizza, pasta). I rely too heavily, when dieting, on Lean Cuisines. Too much sodium. Because of running and working out (and for weight loss) I need more protein, but from WHERE? Thars my biggest concert right now.

I'm not a vegetarian but we do try to do more meatless meals at our house: tofu, beans, certain grains, and combinations of certain things can help with the protein. We're making a bean salad recipe for lunches this week. I will share it sometime this week-end. :goodvibes

Hey, I'm Carla Rae. I signed up for the summer session and I think I reported twice before I dropped out. My motivation was just shot. A friend of mine got into herbalife a few months back and lost 40 lbs over the summer (with only going to the gym twice a week!) So I figured I would give it a try. I am about 2 weeks into that program. Between monthly feminine issues and a severe allergic reaction to a swarm of mosquitos that put my on steroids for 2 weeks (still have a week to go ), I havent lost much. You always read about these types of weight-loss programs and see ads, but the fact that my friend looks soooo good, makes me believe that it is not just false advertising.
On other notes I am a c25k er. Today is W5D3 for me. Two more runs till the dreaded 20 minutes.

We are supposed to leave for WDW on thursday, but there are some work complications (we are both self employed) that might prevent that :sad:. We are passholders, so although disappointing, its not like we aren't going to go back. I had a dream about pin trading last night that woke me up though, so dh and I need to solve our issues so we can go!

Nice to see you again, Carla Rae! What a sad and stressful time you went through. :hugs: Sending you lots of pixiedust: that you get to take your trip this week. That is a tough thing about being self-employed, you are the one who takes care of everything. :flower3: And I love your plan -- great goals and very achieveable mini-goals. Way to see yourself up for success!

Hi everyone! I'm Elle, I'm 27, and I live in Florida. I'm heading out to Disney World in just 20 days. Like some of my other fall Challenge mates, I'm running in the Tower of Terror 10 miler. This is my first race and has been a big motivator for me the past few months.

I started out at 175 pounds at the beginning of March. I started training very slowly then. I lost a few pounds that month and just kept going. Today I weighed in at 139.5 lbs.

For the fall challenge, my goal is to lose 9.5 pounds. That would take me all the way to goal. My modes of attack:

1. Diet. I've been eating a non-processed diet. I don't count calories, but every meal consists of a protein (fish) with veggies and fruits, nuts, etc. I cut out wheat and sugar completely. I don't even miss it. With those things out, weight has come off slowly and steadily. I still have a coffee with cream every morning, and no way I'm giving that up.

2. Exercise. In addition to my running schedule, I'm going to add some body weight resistance to the program on my non-running days. Push ups, sit ups, lunges and squats to begin. I've noticed that I still need to tone up. I also figure skate once or twice a week, but that's a very light calorie burning thing. But I'm certainly not quitting that. In fact, I want to stretch more regularly to get those advanced positions.

Some other things I've planned to tackle the dreaded "last ten pounds":

1. Brush and FLOSS teeth right after dinner every night. I am a late night snacker, but if I've put in the flossing effort then I won't want to ruin it. I've gotten on a health kick lately and with almost all sugar out of my diet now, I've been thinking about my poor teeth. So this will be a win-win for me, stopping the late night nibbles and better dental habits.

2. Keep hydrated. I am really bad at this. I am going to keep one of my running bottles filled with water or unsweetened ice tea with me at all times and drink from it. I think this will go a long way with both my fitness and weight.

I'm ready to start the challenge and I can't wait to track everyone's progress here. I hope it's a good motivator.

Wow! What great progress you've made this summer! :yay: And you have a great plan to make your goal. I'm intrigued by your figure skating for exercise -- in our minds we all would glide gracefully across the ice, but in reality, for me at least, no so pretty. ;)

There are enough folks doing the ToT that you may be able to have a little mini-meet before the WISH meet or at least take a group picture to share with us, please. We love to live vicariously through the Disney races of others! :thumbsup2

I'm excited to start another challenge! My fall goals are

1. I'd love to move into Onederland, but I think that would be a bit too ambitious (32 pounds), so my goal is to get as close as possible. 15-20 pounds would be thrilling

2. I'm diabetic, so good blood glucose control is even more important than weightloss. I want to having FBG levels below 100 consistently. For the past week, I have had some morning swings up to 103-107. I know what i need to do (no snacking after 8, light exercise after every meal, low carb counts) and just need to be consistent.

3. Find a new form of exercise that I enjoy!! Since May, I have been using our pool almost every day (weather permitting) In PA, outdoor pool time is rapidly coming to an end and nothing else is nearly as appealing. Hopefully, once the weather is actually cooler, I'll discover a greater enjoyment for walking and the elliptical. I may also take a water class at the Y, although that would only be once a week. New classes start Sept 24, so I'll make a decision soon!

4. Add in strength/resistance training. Again, since May, I've been using water weights in the pool and have seen fab results. I'm going to have to break down and purchase something to build muscle over the fall/winter/spring. Maybe a set of hand weights or some resistance bands. I'd love to purchase a home gym, but just don't have the room or the $ for a big purchase. I'd also prefer not to have to travel to a gym in order to work out on a regular basis, so joining the Y is out.

5. Continue to utiliza MyFitnessPal to track eating. If I bite it - write it :cool1: If anyone else uses MFP, feel free to add me (KDIPIAZZ)

You have had such a great year, KDIPIAZZ! All those great changes have added up to a true new lifestyle and some great health changes, I hope! :flower3: Is there an indoor pool near you? It's not a convenient at a backyard pool but I know how much you LOVE to exercise in the pool.

WOOHOO! On to the new challenge! I will be singing that Main Street USA song in my head all day! Anyhow....... My plan....hmmmm.... well, first of all, I PLAN to drop back into my maintenance range! I am a few pounds above it right now and not happy with that.

Sounds like a great plan, Pamela. But then, of course, I know that you are our planner extraordinnaire. :cool2: I bet you will be back in maintainance range in no time.

I'm Maureen, your hostess for this go round:thumbsup2 I don't know how many of these I've done, but like some of you, the last couple I have not made it through the whole challenge just dropping off for 1 reason or another. Though I had a good excuse for the summer drop off. I was setting this challenge up:lmao:

Thank you so much for hostessing the challenge, Maureen. :thanks: It is a big job!

so my plan as stated yesterday was to lose 10 lbs in this challenge to get there I will :
keep my WW journal again and stay in my points range! I am good at tracking but bad at going above my points ..
I will also drink more water to get to 64 oz daily.
I also will stick with my Zumba class twice a week --- Tues = Zumba and Thurs = Zumba Gold (supposed to be a beginner/slower paced class but I pushed myself last night and wore my WW pedometer and it said I took 7007 steps!!!! and earned 4 extra points! -- so worth it) however zumba is over before the challege so I don't know what will happen then.. I'll be thinking of a plan.

Wow! What a great burn and I bet you had a ton of fun, too! :goodvibes Hopefully they will start another class right after this one ends or for sure after the start of the year. In the meantime, maybe look for some DVDs so you could do a Zumba workout or two at home. I bet some folks will chime in with ideas. Jillian Michaels doesn't have a Zumba work out as far as I know but her DVDs are very popular with this group.

And just a couple of notes for newcomers and people I have seen on the thread but not in my inbox. Officially joining means a PM in my box. Its easier for me to keep track of those than going through all the posts looking for new people, especially since this is the first time I am running it.

And weight posts go to Kollerbear

She is our weight keeper this time. And I have no clue how to do that:lmao:

So if you sent me your weight you need to redirect it:goodvibes

Please do what you can to make these ladies jobs easier! :flower3:

Most Important Goal for this challenge is
To learn to set myself up for success not failure.

Excellent! :thumbsup2 This is the most important one! You can do it, Joy!

Somebody mentioned measurements and although I've only lost 20 pounds in these challenges I have lost almost that many inches and it is great! So do take the time to jot down your measurement from time to time.

Hi Linda! So nice to see you again! :flower3: You make an excellent point about measurements and finding other ways to track your success besides the scale. ::yes::

Ashley, so sorry about the fender bender. Glad that you are okay! :flower3: That is why you have insurance. It happens.

Well, my husband and I have purged the house of processed foods. We are trying to go low-carb by cutting out sweets, breads, cereals and pastas....my weaknesses!

I am also trying to get to the gym 4 days a week at the very least. I have been the past three mornings in a row, increasing my distance and speed each time! My ultimate goal is to run a 5K. Hopefully the WDW Marathon weekend 5K....we'll see about that though.

Nice job on the workouts! :thumbsup2 Keep an eye on the registration numbers for Marathon Week-End 5K -- the other races just filled up and quite quickly.

BRB for some more replies!

Is your Dr onboard with a 0% bodyfat weight? We actually do need some body fat. Especially as a woman we need some of that in our systems. I'd think 5% would be a good number but that's just me:confused3

Yay! Love having someone in the same boat, though i'm sure at that height you wear it better than me, lol :rotfl:

Response to Otoberbride03 I thought she meant that if she had no body fat she would weigh 170. So 190 would be including some body fat xx

I guess I didn't explain that so well, probably since I dont really get it myself completely. My doc did all these tests a few months back and came up with random charts and graphs for me that he tried to explain, but most of it went over my head. He did this electricity test where he shot a pulse up my arm and then counted it at my foot to tell him something and all sorts of other craziness. There are 3 kinds of fat in humans and for me to be "perfect" within the fat ranges (no clue what that actually means), I should be 170 plus ****s (which are apparently tricking when judging ideal weight on large breasted women). (Although ****s are technically fat, my toothpick sized grandmother had DD's and I inherited them, so my doc doesnt think they should be counted since it would be very hard to lose that "fat," given my genetics.) But as I said, I am built weird, so at 175lbs I still have a BMI of "overweight" despite having only 5 lbs of "bad" fat. Go figure! :confused3

* Yes, definitely

I definitely do and I am thrilled with fitness pal. Back in the good old days, I used to carry a day planner with pages where I recorded everything I ate. It was a pain to have to hunt down nutrition information though. With fitness pal, I scan the barcode and I am off and running. Since I have a natural protein deficiency (oh yes, it is lots of fun :crazy2:), having protein counted for me makes judging my supplement need so much easier.

I originally hoped to hit onederland for my holiday but a few family drama's got in the way and i had to reshuffle. My end goal will be 168lb. I've been very very happy with my body at 196 and so i think if i went below 12stone my body wouldn't look or feel right. I'm only 5'6 but i'm quite curvy and i and my DBf want it to stay that way ;)

Great plan and you will have you goal weight in your sights sooner than you think! :thumbsup2

Many of you have had C25K as a goal or commented on it
What is couch to 5K?
It seems to be a program to get off the couch and go
I need this
I found a thread with post like I'm in week 2 etc. but
did not have info on the program??
Is it a challenge similar to ours?
thanks a bunch

Joy, I see somone already answered the question about the C25K for you. There are other 5K training programs. I wish this one by Jeff Galloway had been available when I first started. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html I never did make it all the way to the C25K because I just cannot run that much. I have been much happier and made progress since I switched to Galloway's run/walk method. But different things work for different people so see what works for you.

Also for those of you who might be interested on of the long time WISHers, windwalker, is doing a racewalking clinic for WISH. Here is a link to the current thread on the Events/Competition side of WISH http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46029906&postcount=1 I have been using it to help increase my walking efficiency in my run/walk. I'm not racewalking but I might try it someday. I don't ever want to be really speedy, just speedy enough to never be swept again. :goodvibes

I am going with the adage "shoot for the moon and even if you fail you will land among the stars."

Love this! :thumbsup2

Why cannot I not find a post anywhere from the person we are supposed to be sending our weights too. I'm sorry, can someone help.

I see someone answered your question. For future reference for everyone if you look at the first few posts of this thread you will find lots of great information in a handy place. :goodvibes

Just remembered that we were starting sometime soon and I had signed up. My brain is fried!

We all have weeks like that -- and you got a double dose of the crazy first week of school at home and work! :flower3:

I'm pretty simple. With work and school I'm actually in a very good and happy place so that my health really should be easy to focus on. I'll be applying for the DCP in January and there is a good chance I'll be working at Disney next fall. Then applying for a photography internship for the spring of 2014. Crossing my fingers I'll have lined up a great job for Disney full time by then and be living the dream all the way down in Florida! :faint: Everything is great and surreal. If I could only get that last 10lbs off! :laughing:

Well, there is my spiel, so excited to make some new and talk with some old friends!! :)

Kayla, that would be so wonderful if you can do a DCP next year! I have never forgotten the time I worked at Disneyland in college. :love:
I know you will have a successful challenge and be joining the maintainers soon! :flower3:

Well, when people ask where I get my protein from as a vegan, I explain that I try to get my protein during the week spanning across all 4 of my major protein sources: soy (tofu and tempeh), seitan (wheat gluten), beans and pulses (like lentils), and quinoa. I would definitely recommend learning how to cook tofu in a few ways that you REALLY enjoy. One of the keys to doing it is to make sure you set it aside to press for at least 15 minutes between plates and paper towels under a couple cans to weigh it down before you start almost any recipe. These are a couple of my favorite tofu recipes:

1) Pomegranate-Glazed Tofu: I know the picture looks grey, but this is really a nice jewel-tone in real life... very pretty! I like to cut it in ~3/4" cubes. It's great with couscous and roasted cauliflower.

2) Chimichurri Tofu: This recipe is baked, and the leftovers are delicious over salad with black beans, avocado and sweet corn! if you want more traditional measurements, PM me, I had a hard time finding this recipe online.

3) Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin Tofu: This is my favorite tofu recipe, and the dry sautee is a great way to prepare tofu and get it nice and chewy! Even my omnivore friends REALLY love this recipe, it's worth sourcing hoisin and mirin for.

Yum! Thanks for sharing the delicious tofu recipes! :thanks:

Here is the link to our recipe thread http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36324235&postcount=1 Lots of all kinds of recipes on that one.

I'm heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow to meet up with my college roommate who is home from Virginia (her parents actually live about 2 hours from me so Pitts is about halfway). So, I'm going to head to bed, but I'll check in sometime.

Safe travels, Jill, have a great time! :flower3:

It sounds like everyone has great goals and have thought about ways to reach them. That's awesome!! We can do it! Go Losers, Go! :cheer2:[/COLOR]

Thanks for cheering everyone on! :thanks: Great plan! I know you can do it!

Lose 10 pounds
weigh in every week

How to get there:
walk 3 times a week
Walk/run 3 times a week

Buffy, you can do it! :thumbsup2 Thanks for the quotes!

My plan is to continue rocking weight watchers. I began March 23, this year at 253 lbs. Currently I am down 57.8 lbs weighing 195.2. My ultimate goal is 153 (high end for my height 5'6'') although I haven't weighed that low since I was a child so I have no idea what that will look like for me. I'll reevaluate as I get close. For this challenge, I'd like to lose 17.2 which would bring me to 178 or 75 lbs total loss! In order to continue losing, I will track everything I eat, attend ww meetings, be sure to get in my healthy guidelines, and I will continue my exercise. I am doing the C25K and today was week 4 day 1. I have a plan to run the Neverland 5K at DL Jan. 19, 2013.

My 10 year old just saw this :hippie: and said "Is that a hippie? I love hippies?" :confused3

:lmao: Who doesn't love hippies?

Inspiring story and great plan! My sister did the Neverland 5K this year and said it was a blast. :tink: One of these days I'm going to try a 5K at one of these Disney races in addition to a half -- they always look like fun!

Sounds like a good strategy and one the kids have no problem with. :goodvibes

BRB getting in trouble with the smilie police! :teeth:

Hi Lisa, and everyone else!!:goodvibes
I introduced myself several pages back but here is a quick one: I'm Jude, 47 (gulp), working mom to 2 teenagers, with an awesome DH, and in the middle of a campaign to run for a local judge seat. I have started several challenges ...but run out of steam somewhere about 2/3 of the way. I WILL finish this one!! I am tired of feeling sad about my lack of success. I will be happy about whatever downward scale movement I have - any decrease is better than up! :) I know I need the support that this board provides!!!

Jude, you are a success and an inspirations! :flower3: You were one of the folks who inspired me to give the Princess a try. I totally get how you feel because I feel that way myself sometimes -- we are setting ourselves up for success this time!

* Yes, definitely

I do think tracking is very important to success. Do I like it? Nope. Do I do it everyday? Nope. But I do know that times that I have been successful in the past have been those times I am religiously tracking and staying on plan so I will do it, whether I like it or not.

I especially appreciate the importance of tracking so I don't overestimate the number of calories burned for activity. For example, I'm doing a half marathon next week-end and I weigh just under 200 pounds. How many calories do you think I will burn running 13.1 miles? 2,000? 3,000? 4,000? Nope, about 1500 -- something easily undone by one trip through the drive through. This is why tracking is so vital so don't undo all your hard work. :hippie:

YES!!!! It is great for planning and tracking......Bite it, write it! Have a great week, review it and use it again for continued success. Have a bad week, review and find your downfalls and learn from them to avoid them again.

I use myfitnesspal and am happy to be a friend on there with anyone else who is also using it.

Christopher

Excellent point, Christopher! :thumbsup2

Yes!!! MFP has really helped me see exactly what and how much of something I can eat. It's almost like a game too. Let's see how much I can get for as few calories as possible.

Old breakfast
Bowl of cereal
caramel macchiato
greek yogurt
Banana - sometimes

Turns out that's like 640 calories

Now that I have MFP I can say ok, I really want a macchiato which is 130-150 calories depending on which milk I use. So I can have a nutrigrain bar and a peach cup and be at 340 calories.

Tomorrow I can have water, a bowl of cereal and a banana and its 330 calories.

Old fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo on oatnut bread - 430 calories
new fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo but no yolk on arnold flax and fiber flat bread - 213 calories. I still have room for a 70 calorie fruit cup.

Good point about how eye opening it is when you realize how many calories you were eating! ::yes::

Exercise has helped me make better food choices. If I know I'm going to run later, I want to eat something that won't make me feel sick when I run. If I ran earlier, I feel healthy and great and want to eat something that will make me feel the same way. Regular exercise has honestly been the best thing for my diet.

Food tracking is great for some people, but it sets me back. It only took my 5 years of being on and off a diet to figure it out!

This is a great example of figuring what works for you because that is the only way to be truly successful with a lifestyle change. :goodvibes

:welcome: Cindy! Best of luck to you in our challenge!

To add to Lisa's journalling and for those who choice different options.

This is the image from choosemyplate.gov

I know a lot of us have crazy schedules with kids sports banquets and weekend adventures. When you can't control what is being prepared, use this chart as a guide. I try to fill 1/2 my plate with veggies first, then fill the rest.

choose-my-plate-300x272.jpg

This is great, Buffy, because you don't have any of that cumbersome measuring, weighing, etc. :thumbsup2

And now I think I am caught up on my replies for now.

lisah0711 said:

* Yes, definitely

Yes I think you need to track your food. Previously I have been successful with writing everything down first. I find that when you don't track you mindlessly eat. Tracking makes you think about it before you put it in your mouth.

QOTD:

I think tracking is extremely important but ...

I haven't done it lately. I get really burned out on it and more than a little OCD so what has worked for me over the past six months is just to eat the same thing most of the time. I literally have the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days. I may vary the protein a little but essentially, that's what I've done. It works but as I get closer to goal (and the pounds seem a lot more stubborn), I'm tracking again. I'm using MFP and I'm trying to not be quite so OCD about it.

MB

* Yes, definitely

I'm gonna go in the minority here and say it depends on the person. I did tracking calories for a while and nearly drove myself crazy trying to keep track of every bite. I do however research and read nutritional values on what I eat before I eat something different. Plus I usually don't eat back my calories when I workout and when I do, it's something I know the calories of already. So while I don't track every bite, I'm mindful of how much I'm putting in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter