Bigger car than 7 seater mini van?

mrsminniemouse

DIS Veteran
Hi! In past trips to WDW , we have rented a 7 seater mini van or a 4 wheel drive even when it was just me, DH and toddler DD. We needed the large boot for cases, the pram etc etc.

Next May we will be travelling with my parents and our new baby too. So there will be 4 adults, a 4 year old a 10 month old baby, several cases a pram ( maybe two) I am not sure everything will fit comfortably in a 7 seater mini van. According to dollar.co.uk we could get a Dodge Ram 8 seater, which seems to be the next catergory up. The cost would be £468 with Dollar platinum insurance. A 7 seater would be £380.

Has anyone got one of these cars before? I cannot even recollect seeing one. On the website it looks like the A Team van! Anyone know if they are much bigger than the 7 seater minivan with regards to boot size?

There is no point getting 2 cars as my Dad won't drive in the US despite driving for a living here so it is down to DH to drive!

Any help much appreciated.

Mandy :sunny:

Mandy

the next van is an 8 seater, it does look like the A team van and is not as nice inside as the 7 seater mini vans, but it does have plenty of room for the storage of cases etc.
The 7 seater vans struggle to fit in four normal size cases or the 8 seater would be the better option.

The chances are you will get something like the Ford Econoline 8 seater van basically, not as stylish as the 'minivan' but there is no way you would get everything in a 7 seater I am afraid. They are 'people carriers' in effect and not necessarily 'people and luggage'.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that the car isn't as stylish but I am sure it will be perfectly comfortable. It is much more important that we fit in with all our stuff! At least I wont have to drive that tank like thing!

We are driving to Vero Beach for the first 3 days but after that we will be staying onsite at WDW so i don't suppose we will use the car for many long journeys.

Just booked the flights and car through the Daily Mail offer. Got DVC accomodation all booked, so we are all booked now. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Hi
We did manage to fit into a Dodge Caravan 4 adults and 2 toddlers, suitcases, hand luggage and 2 buggies.
We looked into the bigger option but I was put off by the aesthetics of it. The way we looked at it was that we would only have to travel with all the luggage twice and the rest of the time would be a rucksack for each family and a buggy and we were fine.

Apologies for hijacking this thread somewhat but can anyone comment on how these 8-seater 'vans' drive compared to a normal car.

I've driven an intermediate car on our 4 trips but my brother and his family are coming in 2008 and he also refuses to drive so their will be 8 of us.

Looks like it's me driving a van then !!

I don't have a problem as I enjoy driving around WDW, I-Drive, LBV and the US 192 but am interested if anyone can make the comparison between the 'van' and an intermediate.

Garry

Hi we had an 8 seater van this summer, as there were 6 of us, with 6 sets of golf clubs!!
There was loads room, even with all the clubs in the back!
It was just as easy to drive than a car, even for me (I'm only 5 foot!)
Tracy

We managed with a 6 seater when there were 6 adults, 6 large suitcases, 6 pieces of handluggage and a wheelchair! It was a squash for the journey from and to the airport, but other than those, was ideal.

As you only need all the capacity for pax and luggage to/from the airport, have you considered staying with a 7 seater and using a taxi in parallel for some of the party/luggage for these two journeys?

Hello
twice we have gone with Alamo and hired Mini Van x 8 (XVAR) Dodge Ram, Chevrolet Astro or similar (akathe A team van for just 6 of us)
But as Alamo has no or very few 12 seater A team vans you will always get the 15 seater ~ this gives us each a bench to crash out on :rotfl: you can get a quote from www.yescarehire.com
Tip- dont rush to the alamo desk and if there are smaller ones they will have gone
They are very easy to drive (I am a lady dont you know), great for all the suitcases & gear you will have.
Take some ribbon with you to tie around the ariel as when you are in a car park (disney, seaworld etc) there are 1000s of them and the ribbbon will help you find it so much quicker :thumbsup2

patdavies said:
As you only need all the capacity for pax and luggage to/from the airport, have you considered staying with a 7 seater and using a taxi in parallel for some of the party/luggage for these two journeys?

This would normally be a good idea but we are staying at Vero for the first 3 nights so we will have a long journey there and then back to WDW for the rest of the holiday.

We have booked an 8 seater through Virgin (they use Dollar) so we will see what we get upon arrival- hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks for all the responses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter