Big Thunder vs Expedition Everest

Thanks, people, but I've read all I need to read: I'm skipping EE. Come on, The Flight of the Hippogriff at Universal was a big stretch for me.

Too right! The girl at the entrance told me it was a "gentle introduction to flight" I've never screamed so much in my life! My eight yr old son had his fingers in his ears through the whole ride.

In terms of thrills, they're fairly comparable. EE does have one major drop, but it's still tame by roller coaster standards. It also has a section where you travel backwards, which bothers some, but isn't a terribly horrifying experience. Other than that, it's mostly just a few turns.

In terms of overall ride, and I may be in the severe minority on this, Big Thunder is far better. While the switch track on EE is nothing short of brilliant, the ride itself is a bit dull for me and is over way too quickly. Big Thunder has more scenic views and theming and is just a more fun experience for me.

BTMRR is *really* jerky! I don't remember that so much on EE. I do remember, though, thinking that all the "hype" about the fear factor of EE was wayyyyyyyyy overdone.

I invite you to come to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City and ride Timberwolf. BTMRR will feel like a cloud to you after that. :lmao:

Oh my that is so true....The Timberwolf is the roughest ride I have ever been on. But I still love it.

I am *not* a coaster fan at all, so take this for what it's worth. I can handle BTMR just fine - it's a little bit jerky, but I'm used to the Dahlonega Mine Train at 6 Flags GA where they should have lawyers offering to file suit for whiplash at the exit (kidding!). On EE I did okay - it's a lot smoother than BTMR for sure, and my fear of heights didn't really come into play because so much of the ride "hugs" the scenery. I did, however, get a little woozy from the backwards part, but riding anything backwards does that to me. I'll ride BTMR over and over, but EE is one of those rides I'm glad I did once but won't be doing again.

I laughed so hard when I read this. I love this ride, but my dd has to hang on for dear life to keep from being beaten to death. She look miserable the whole time, but she loves it. :confused3 I also LOVE the collective "OOOWWW" that comes from the whole train when you hit the bottom of the hill and then get whiplash as it stops.

I do not think they are similar at all. Well, ok, they are both at WDW and are on rails but one is in the mountains with snow and the other one is in the desert. :lmao:

BTMRR has very little height. It certainly does not feel faster the EE and it does not go backwards. I take photos on both rides and EE is far more difficult especially with the big drop and turn. BTMRR is jerky but not bad jerky. You want bad jerky get on Primal Whirl. :rotfl: I have never noticed that empty feeling in your stomach in the little drop at BTMRR that you get on EE.

DW and one of our kids will NOT ride Tot, RRRR, Space Mountain or EE but they will ride BTMRR.

Later,
Dan

Everest is more intense (in terms of sustained forces) than Thunder. Thunder is a bit more bumpy. If you are *very* thrill-averse, you might not be too fond of the big drop out of the projection scene, and you will very much not enjoy the backwards-in-the-dark section.

It is true that in the context of "all coasters on the planet", Everest is pretty tame. But, in the context of "coasters Disney has installed" Everest is right up there with RnRC and California Screamin'.

Thanks guys! :goodvibes I think we're gonna go for it! :thumbsup2

You won't regret it. EE is a great ride. It's gotten to the point where AK is worth the trip purely for two rides -- K. Safari and EE, for way different reasons, obviously. Lunch at Yak & Yeti, and maybe an optional ride on Dinosaur are bonuses.

BTMR is not bad at all. More lateral forces and stuff.

EE isn't bad either. I refuse to go on most roller-coasters and I did EE with my 68 year old dad with a heart problem and we both loved it. You do go backwards but its not bad. You actually go uphill in the dark and it's a fun feeling.

The drop at the end isn't bad as it looks. You actually turn a bit so the drop isn't as bad as Splash Mountain at all.

Go for it. A 5 year old girl was on the car in front of us and she said its not bad when we were scared going up the hill. She was right. Not bad at all. Amazing ride

Neither are too much for non-thrill-seekers.

That being said, my dad doesn't do either (or Soarin' for that matter).

Don't skip it!!!!! It is an amazing ride. BTMR is much rougher and I for one hate to go backwards but its such a short time it does not bother me at all. Make it your last ride of the night so if you do feel a little off it will not ruin your day. I am 51 yrs old and love everest much more than BTMR and I hate spinny rides they make me sick....

If you're not sure, you should try it, I think. However.... I tried it (EE) and will never go on it again. I enjoyed BTMRR, the cute themeing etc. EE, as soon as we started backwards I clenched my entire face shut (yeah - picture that) and didn't relax until we pulled into the station, screaming all the way.

The G forces, to me, were pretty strong. I agree that BTMRR is jerkier, but it doesn't pull anywhere near as many g's.

It's a cool ride, I'm glad to say I did it (although I didn't SEE much of it - ha). Won't repeat it.

I don't remember Big Thunder having any huge drops, but does Expedition Everest?

Expedition Everest has a huge drop, you can see from just outside the ride. Big Thunder Mountain doesn't have any "big drops", certainly none that would make somebody nervous.

I invite you to come to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City and ride Timberwolf. BTMRR will feel like a cloud to you after that. :lmao:

Good to see another KC'er....and yes, one ride on the Timberwolf and you'll wish to ride "It's a Small World" 15 times.

I prefer EE. Like others have said it is very smooth. The drop to me is a curving drop so it doesn't bother me nearly as much as straight down drops on other coasters. BTMRR is very jerky and the seats to me are very uncomfortable. To me, both are pretty tame coasters and neither are in the same category as far as speed and fear factor as some of the steel coasters at other parks.
DD6 loves BTMRR. She likes the back and forth jerkiness and it is just her speed as far as she is willing to go in the daredevil ride zone. DD8 loves EE (but not as much as Rock N Roller Coaster). It is a bit higher and faster so he enjoys it more, especially the backward part. DD6 is convinced that EE goes upside down even though it does NOT.

WAIT A MINUTE!
BTMRR? and EE? I am sorry but there's no huge backwards drop in BTMRR. BTMRR is really *just* a runaway train...a little rough with a shorter height restriction too. EE's giant drop going backwards?!
All my family can ride BTMRR. My DD is still too short for EE, AND my husband who despises roller coasters refused to go on EE and I don't blame him. BTMRR was a doddle for him....but there's no giant drop. He also does not like the drop in Splash! either.
I would ride EE again in a minute as I love thrill rides but BTMRR...meh...I just do it for DD.

To all those who say it is not that bad well they do not understand a real fear of hights. The asects and descents are much higher, longer. It may not seem like much to many but to those of us who have trouble with hights a little bit of a difference to you can be a real big deal to us. I can deal with BTT I just close my eyes for the outside parts. Don't know which is higher but the perception is that EE is and that is enough to send me into a panic atack.

I love BMR but will never ride EE again. It scared me so bad that when I got off I felt like I was having a heart attack. I was dazed and could barely walk. I do not remember the Yeti or any of the theming. All I remember is how I felt when I got off the ride.

EE is much more intense - no question. I love both, and I love EE more. It's my top disney ride. It IS much smoother than BTM, but it is much higher, much faster, etc. I liked the poster that said it's nothing like the big boys at six flags though - those are just built to hurt you. EE is a big coaster, but the theming makes it feel smaller. Except for the initial big climb, you don't see all out around you (due to the theming), so it may not feel as big as it is.

Put it this way - We took my 4yo daughter in 07, and again when she was 6 in 09. She went on both - both times (she is tall for her age). She loved BTM both times (hands in the air and all), when she rode EE with me she had her head down clutching my arm as hard as she could. It didn't scare her enough to be upset, but she was "one and done" both times on it.

Now when we go again in June (at 8 years old), I'm not sure what to expect. "Yet-I" wouldn't be surprised if she was a cling-on again... :)

To me it isn't scary though - I just laugh and giggle the whole time... Nothing like the bigger, more intense coasters found in the rest of the country...

I'm a ride wimp. I don't have motion sickness or fear of heights and I like bumpy rides, like Dinosaur. What I don't like is feeling like I could die at any moment.
I like Splash Mountain. It's a lovely slow ride, until the drop. I have taken to ducking down for the drop "so i don't get wet". I find it really helps with the fear factor.
BTMRR is the maximum thrill that I can enjoy. I've ridden EE twice. Both times, I tell myself to enjoy the themeing, watch for the Yeti and both times I've ended up with my eyes closed, thinking I'm going to die and trying to reassure myself that it will be over soon.
I've also ridden Space Mountain, but I won't do that again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter