• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

TheGoofster

Old Foggie
Gatorade and Coke. Mashed Potatoes and Ice Cream. Business suit and Crocs. Some things just weren't meant to go together. My wife and roller coasters is another such thing. To say that roller coasters hold no attraction for her is quite the understatement. She has absolutely no use at all for them. Period, end of story. Yet she loves the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I try to tell her that it is a roller coaster, but she doesn't care, she still loves it. It goes really fast (for her tastes), It goes around corners quickly, it even goes up hills and then down them. Basically it does almost everything that a roller coaster is supposed to do, and in spite of all that my wife loves this ride. What is it about this coaster that sets it apart from the rest. Why can someone who is deathly afraid of most roller coasters not simply just suffer through this one, but actually revel in it?

I asked my wife these questions. What is it about this ride that she likes so much? Her answer was very simple – It never really leaves the ground. There you have it. A roller coaster that gives you many of the same thrills as it's bigger cousins, yet without the fear factor of height. If you think about it, it really is true. The BTMR never strays too far from good old Terra Firma. Yes it's pretty fast. Yes it throws you side to side around the corners. Yes it has some hills that it climbs and descends. Yet all the while it keeps itself planted pretty firmly to the ground. BTMR is the perfect roller coaster for those who don't like roller coasters. But you know what, it's also a pretty good roller coaster for us who love the sky high versions as well.

For me, the BTMR isn't necessarily about the thrills it offers (although they are pretty fun), but rather it's about the theming. Like pretty much everything else at WDW, Big Thunder Mtn. Is themed to the max. You can't help but marvel at the incredible amount of detail that Disney put into this ride. From the humorous props in the queue (like Lytum and Hyde dynamite) to the beautiful veiws and scenes in the ride itself, every part of this mountain has enough sights to keep you coming back for more. Some of my favorite scenes are the covered wagon (even though you can't see it too well while zipping by it, you do get a chance to appreciate it much more from the Railroad), as well as the giant skeleton you pass under near the end of the ride. Also, how can you not love the cave scene as you begin your journey. There are just so many beautiful and incredible things to see on this ride that you really have to ride it over and over and over just to try and get a quick glance at them all.

Without a doubt BTMR is one of our family's favorite rides in all of Disney because it offers so much for each and every one of us. My wife loves the thrills it offers. My kids think it's a blast, and I love the gorgeous scenes (and the challenge of taking good pictures during my ride). This is one of the rides that we simply must do every time we are there, or else we feel like we are missing something really important. I can't wait to get back to Disney and delight in this ride once again along with my entire family.

How do you feel about Big Thunder Mountain Railroad?

Mag95.jpg

mk213.jpg

mk216.jpg

mk231a.jpg

mk224.jpg

Mag91.jpg

dis244.jpg

dis248.jpg

mk238.jpg

I think it's brilliant! Even when I used to think twice about rides with drops this one never bothered me. We ride it every trip, more than once. Is amazing in the dark, and we like it best at the back of the train because the ride is smoother and just better.

We've done it at in California and Paris as well, and each is slightly different. Think I like Paris best (just) - it's on an island so the first bit of the ride whisks you off under the lake at a fair speed which adds an extra bit of thrill. Best WDW time on Big Thunder - has to be during MNSSHP, when we rode it in the dark, multiple times without getting off because it was so quiet.

I think it's brilliant! Even when I used to think twice about rides with drops this one never bothered me. We ride it every trip, more than once. Is amazing in the dark, and we like it best at the back of the train because the ride is smoother and just better.

We've done it at in California and Paris as well, and each is slightly different. Think I like Paris best (just) - it's on an island so the first bit of the ride whisks you off under the lake at a fair speed which adds an extra bit of thrill. Best WDW time on Big Thunder - has to be during MNSSHP, when we rode it in the dark, multiple times without getting off because it was so quiet.

yep with you on that one, the Paris one is the best. BUT def not worth going to Paris for, WDW wins on all levels there. (def not a fan of DLP) The other reason I do Thunder mountain and not other coasters is because there is not a harness that comes down over your head and pins you to the seat, therefore, it can't be that bad!!!! I am a whimp but can cope with this one.:thumbsup2

We love this ride! At night it has a different feel to it and last time my girls were lucky enough to ride it a few times in a row because the line was so short. Thanks for sharing your pictures, it brings back such good memories.

We love this ride. Last year I took my 3 (almost 4) year old grandson on it for his first adult roller coaster ride. Before this he had only ridden Goofy's Barnstormer due to height requirements. He loved BTMR and wanted to go over and over. Finally had to throw him across my shoulder and just carry him away to meet up with his mom and NaNa.:lmao:

Hands down this was my kids' favorite ride during our last trip. They were asking how much it would cost to build one in the back yard! We rode it multiple times and had a blast. I have neck issues and although I can't ride roller coasters at other parks the Disney ones don't bother me because they are thrilling but smooth... Definitely will take the tip to ride in the back during our next vacation.

One of our favorite rides~ if you want more thrill, ask and wait to sit in the back of the train. Lots of fun. If you want sloow, sit in the front of the train...not as fast (and not as fun). :)
And yes, the theming is amazing!

We also love to ride at night, it changes the whole feel of the ride~

It's a wienie coaster. Not at all a thrill ride.

It's great for people who are a little adventurous, but don't really want to ride thrill rides. It's great for people who don't have amusement parks near them.

It's good enough, but we routinely skip it. I'm thrilled that it is considered one of the "don't miss" rides. :)

I love BTMR myself. It may be because it is not a ride that goes in loops and such. I am not a thrill rider but I do like fast rides. :confused3

My favorite time on BTMR yet, is the night my sister and I rode and Wishes started just as we came around the bend. It was an incredible few minutes!

Kelly

It's great for people who are a little adventurous, but don't really want to ride thrill rides. It's great for people who don't have amusement parks near them.

It's good enough, but we routinely skip it. I'm thrilled that it is considered one of the "don't miss" rides. :)

Eh...my kids ride all the big coasters at Cedar Point and still love BTMRR...part of the fun is the theming, the attraction that you are transported to the wild west and on a train that's out of control. It's all in the imagination.

This was my very first roller coaster ride and after all these years is still my favourite. And I love that riding it in daytime and at night are both such wonderful but different experiences.

This ride is a great combination of what makes Disney different. What is thrilling is the combination of the ride's speed, your perception of speed enhanced by the visuals, the details of the theming, and the fact that it is feeding you in several senses (smell, touch, sound, sight) for the ride experience. Its ability to communicate story as the anchor to the theme and the fact that the ride guts are buried inside the theming so that you aren't distracted by them is decidedly Disney. On the opportunities we get to ride it at night and be in the queue after dark, the flickering lamps, music and noise of the ride create a really good mood for the ride.

Non analytically, the ride is just plain fun and my daughter laughs with delight from beginning to end.

The technical term is "mine train." Recognized as a roller coaster, but of a lesser class than the larger cousins (like EE, RnRC, Matterhorn, Space Mountain and California Screamin') since it usually lacks large lift hills, high-speed horizontal launches, and long steep drops.

I get motion sickness so I have always been wary of trying it, but I have done tt and ms so I think I might try it next trip.

I have never been on BTMR and thanks to all of your post and the great pics I am going on it on my next trip which begins in 15 days!!! :cool1: I think I am going to love it. :banana:

Maryann :happytv:

One of my favorites, I can smell that musty/grease smell as I type. My son will be tall enough this year to ride and I am pretty pumped about that... Come on October.

OP, I'm with your wife. I am fine when my family wants to go on roller coasters. My job is to hold the sunglassess and hats and find a shady spot to have a drink or a snack and people-watch until they come back from the ride.

I don't like anything where my stomach is still up (here) and my body is way down (there). I don't do unprotected heights. I don't do upside down. Basically I don't do anything I'd have to take my glassess off for. When I was a kid my dad conned me into riding Space Mountain and it took forever before I forgave him. I just don't find those experiences fun.

Based on reassurances from some threads here on the Dis I agreed to try BTMRR this trip. I can't say it was my favorite ride but I did find it enjoyable enough that we rode repeatedly all week. DH and I also noticed that the ride experience was very different at different times of the day/night and went out of our way to try them all (early morning, mid-day, sunset, twilight, late night - only thing we missed was during the fireworks).

The theming is wonderful and is what "made" the ride for me, far more than the physical sensations of the ride. I will be more than happy to ride multiple times again on future trips.

So for me, as a non-coaster person, I agree that it is fun precisely because there is no huge drop and no feeling that you will fall from a height. I still won't do SM, EE, ToT, RnRC, or Splash for those reasons. DH loves them all and I am happy for him to go ride - I just do my job of hat-holding on terra firma and we're both happy. Now, what flavor of ice cream will I have while I wait? Decisions, decisions.

**helpful hint to other hat-holders out there: not many benches around Splash & BTMRR. Especially if others in your party are going to do both back-to-back, take the boat to Tom Sawyer's island. There are lots of shady spots and even some big rocking chairs. Aunt Polly's is no longer open but the CMS don't seem to mind if you take a drink or something over with you**

BTMRR is our go to ride at rope drop. There's nothing like starting the day with three consecutive rides to get the blood and spirit moving. When my adult son was young we loved our first thing in the morning rides. My DBF loves it as well. I have to admit that I didn't used to be much of a thrill ride person, but BTMRR helped me to become a littel braver and I now ride EE, Tot, SplM, SM, MS and enjoy all of them. I don't think I'll ever be a fan of the tall super coasters that are hanging out in the air, but I do love the Disney rides and how they are themed.

:thumbsup2 we always look forward to riding BTMRR. And I have to agree with pp that riding at different times of the day gives a different feel to the ride. The themeing is so well done plus a little speed, what is not to enjoy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter