Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

However, he will not ride with my DH anymore, only with me. This is because he needs to have some kind of restraint to feel comfortable riding, and the lap bar wouldn't come down far enough on him with my DH with him. It wasn't a huge amount between them, but enough to make him uncomfortable. So, just make sure she is comfortable with the lap bar not down against her, or hold your hand across her, if you are uncomfortable. Have a blast! :cool1:

I'm 43 years old and it bothered me to not have the lap bar anywhere near me. I rode it for the first time last year and didn't know at the start that it was a very tame coaster. I rode with my DH who is quite a bit larger than I am and the lap bar was so far away from me I was nervous. This past year when we went I didn't even go on it since I didn't want to ride it with DH. I would have your child ride with whoever is the smallest person in your party if they want to go on. That way they have some security from the lap bar. (mental security... you don't come out of your seat at all and need the lap bar to hold you in)

He was 44 inches and loved it!

He still loves the big coasters. Rockin' Roller Coaster was his favorite on our trip in December.

So if she is a dare-devil she will probably like it. Only one way to find out!

None of us were bothered by the jerkiness, and my DD4 loved it...my DD6 hated it because of the darkness. so if that is an issue for your kids beware...there was a lot of darkness!

I've riden BTMRR countless times and I never even noticed there being any darkness in the ride? I guess we just all have a different perspective :-)

My DD7 rode it when she was 3 1/2. She sat straight up with a very serious expression on her face the whole time. I was sure she hated it but when we got off she yelled "That was awesome" and it is her absolute favorite ride at MK.

I've riden BTMRR countless times and I never even noticed there being any darkness in the ride? I guess we just all have a different perspective :-)

You go through dark caves with bats and shaking rocks.

Small children will definitely notice this. Maybe adults not so much. ;)
Probably good for OP to know. I didn't even think to mention this for those thinking to take small children for the first time. My kids are not easily scared-- they love HM and Pirates.

You go through dark caves with bats and shaking rocks.

Small children will definitely notice this. Maybe adults not so much. ;)
Probably good for OP to know. I didn't even think to mention this for those thinking to take small children for the first time. My kids are not easily scared-- they love HM and Pirates.
I've noticed the shaking rocks and bats, but that initial climb - with the rocks and bats - isn't really dark, it has openings along and my children have never been scared by it. :-)

I've noticed the shaking rocks and bats, but that initial climb - with the rocks and bats - isn't really dark, it has openings along and my children have never been scared by it. :-)

Isn't there another part where you go through a darker cave quickly?

Maybe I'm losing it. :upsidedow

I don't really remember...but sitting next to a child who was shaking and crying because of the dark...it seemed like the entire ride was one long tunnel, LOL!

If you think your child could handle it I would do it. My baby sister is 3 1/2 and she rode Dinosaur, Splash Mountain, Soarin, on our last trip and she was fine with all of them. We didnt let her ride Space Mountain because unlike the other rides mentioned you cant sit next to her directly on Space Mountain and other big rides we didnt get to or she wasnt tall enough. Either way if your child can handle it then I would do it, if not then dont.

Its a bit jerky.. and bumpy.. but I think she will be fine.. it is a great, classic ride!

One recommendation - if she has a problem with loud noises, cover her ears during the beginning when you go up the hill through the bat cave. My thrill loving daughter still covers her ears on that part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter