Big runDisney announcement coming in April

The course for this race packed with pixie dust will begin on Disneyland Drive where runners will pass under Downtown Disney on their way into Disneyland Park.
tink.gif

I see a couple of big problems with that course. The biggest is the mile 4 crosses in front of the start line. Depending on the size of the race, people will still be crossing the start line when the leaders make it to the crossing.

I believe that is just the race director and Run Disney is a totally different entity. That seems to be what was said during the Wine & Dine half marathon.

Jon is a totally cool guy--have met him on several occasions. But I think he is more in charge of actual race PRODUCTION/LOGISTICS, and would not be the one who concocted this marketing ploy. That sounds like a WDW marketer.

well this is a disappointment. not only is it in my backyard, it's the week of my birthday. and I'm not invited. oh well, hope the ladies who can participate have a blast, sounds like a great event

I registered. I guess I'm in the target market. I've wanted to go to the WDW January Marathon or Half Marathon and the Princess Half, but haven't because East Coast just too far away from California. Plus the idea of a womens only Disney event probably will make it less intimidating for some female newbies who aren't yet running races. Though I sincerely do feel badly that the men who were interested in a Disney race aren't included - doesn't seem too friendly of Disney to not encourage and embrace everybody who wants to run.

>>I see a couple of big problems with that course. The biggest is the mile 4 crosses in front of the start line. Depending on the size of the race, people will still be crossing the start line when the leaders make it to the crossing.<

Nope- Looks like people start running UNDER Downtown Disney and then run though DTD over to the DL Hotel...

I registered. I guess I'm in the target market. I've wanted to go to the WDW January Marathon or Half Marathon and the Princess Half, but haven't because East Coast just too far away from California. Plus the idea of a womens only Disney event probably will make it less intimidating for some female newbies who aren't yet running races. Though I sincerely do feel badly that the men who were interested in a Disney race aren't included - doesn't seem too friendly of Disney to not encourage and embrace everybody who wants to run.

Jen, I was hoping you'd register! You were one of the first people I thought of when I saw this announcement. I'm hoping to register next week. :woohoo:

>>I see a couple of big problems with that course. The biggest is the mile 4 crosses in front of the start line. Depending on the size of the race, people will still be crossing the start line when the leaders make it to the crossing.<

Nope- Looks like people start running UNDER Downtown Disney and then run though DTD over to the DL Hotel...

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been to DL yet but looking at Google maps, I see the road goes under a pedestrian walk way.

Jon is a totally cool guy--have met him on several occasions. But I think he is more in charge of actual race PRODUCTION/LOGISTICS, and would not be the one who concocted this marketing ploy. That sounds like a WDW marketer.

Betsy is correct. Jon is with EMMI...they do timing and logistics for many races, including some Disney races. The events are developed by Disney staff.

Oh, sweet Jesus. Now they are uploading videos explaining the clues, 3 at a time.

It's funny cause they uploaded that video yesterday, but are only just now posting the link. Glad April 19th was oh so important! :lmao:

I'm not sure who I find more mockable, the 'hosts' of the big reveal or the 'symbologist' explaining the clues.

I had to turn off the clues video about a minute in. Are they KIDDING with that guy?

I LIKE DISNEY. I AM NOT A FOUR YEAR OLD.

I guess I'm relieved, mostly because of what I learned at Wine and Dine. Inaugural races suck. Even the runDisney machine makes major, major mistakes.

Inaugurals aren't always bad, although I suspect that the larger the race, the more likely it is that it will have major problems. I ran an inaugural marathon a couple years ago, and their main problem was that they did not look at a calendar when they schuleded it - for Saturday on Easter weekend, so volunteers were in very short supply for a while. They changed a few things for the second running last year, and while it was nice, (IMO) not all the changes were for the better. (I did enjoy it enough that I am running it at the end of this month, however.)

If you can't get a medal for running 13.1 miles, there's no pride in that race.

All participants get a finisher's medal...it's just the actual awards for top 3 overall, age group, etc. that they are only recognizing females for. They did say that men are eligible for awards in the co-ed team division though. I realize this doesn't make you or anyone else any less irritated with it being a women-focused race, but I wouldn't want others to think they wouldn't get anything for running 13.1!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter