Big River Grille

earthiejen

Mouseketeer
Had anyone tried Big River Grille and Brewing Company?

I am trying to make a list of restaurants we want to try this trip. This is a restaurant I don't think I have ever heard someone talk about. I hope there isn't a reason for that. :confused3
We want to try new places this time. If anyone wants to throw out some less talked about restaurants feel free. I guess that could differ from person to person.

we have eaten there and it was good. nothing exciting but good basic sandwiches. we also enjoyed il mulino at the swan on that trip.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

It is good, I wouldn't make a trip out of the way. If you are staying at Boardwalk it would be a great option.

I was looking over WDW meus on allears and noticed the Big River Grill and decided we are going to try it on our next trip. But I am not familiar with the Boardwalk area at all.

I'm curious...do you park at the Boardwalk hotel parking lot then go through the hotel to get to all the restaurants along the boardwalk?

My wife and I go here every trip. It's weird because I kinda groan when she tells me we are going there but after our meal I am pleased. In fact, I've never really had a bad meal or a bad experience there. I love the Boardwalk so it makes for a nice evening to stroll around after dinner.

MinneLovesMickey12, if you drive or take a bus to the Boardwalk you can go through the hotel and then downstairs to access all the restaurants, shops, etc. If you leave EPCOT through the International Gateway, the Boardwalk is a short walk. Or you can take the boat from either EPCOT or Hollywood Studios.

Chris

This was actually one of our favorite meals - we were just there for lunch on Saturday 1/5. We were staying at the Beach Club and spent the morning at Hollywood Studios. We took the boat over (actually getting off at the Swan & Dolphin and walking over the bridge) and saw open tables outside and decided to stop. The pork sandwiches were yummy - the beers were tasty (I was bitter that they only have the wheat seasonally-but got over it). I think my kids ordered burgers, but whateve they ordered they ate and enjoyed. We just sat and relaxed for an hour or so. Or kids wandered the boardwalk a bit when they finished while we just relaxed and watched the water. In the middle of the day the boardwalk is really quiet and was a really nice break from the insanity of HS.

We had tried the Beaches and Cream the day before and frankly enjoyed the Grill much more - we are never going to be the type to order the Kitchen Sink anyway and for actual food B & C is crowded and a long wait for lunch.

I would definitely go back. We headed back to HS later in the day. I think it makes a great lunch spot from either HS or Epcot, and lets you get out of the chaos.

It's not in a park (it is at the Boardwalk resort), there is no theming or characters, that may be why you do not hear much about it. The parks are usually where the action is, outside the parks it's themed restaurants, unusual cuisine or restaurants that offer a view of something. It isn't operated by Disney and ADRs can't be made there.

I like it OK, the beer is good (craft beer aficionados will only find it passable) and the food is regular pub-style chain restaurant food.

We found it to be incredibly loud and it didn't smell very good. The food wasn't great, and the service was pretty bad. I don't plan on eating there again.

We like it and usually go once a trip when we stay at BWV. The nachos are great. DH likes the steak and shrimp. I usually get the chicken dish. I have even ordered the chicken sandwich which is only on the lunch menu. But after nachos I didn't want a big meal. No problem! Desserts are good too, cheesecake.........yum! FYI they don't have fries.

Our Ratings of Big Rive Grille and Brewing: (7/16/2012)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: They have a good selection home brew, naturally. They
also have a nice variety of "bar food" appetizers, and a good choice
of dinner entrees. Surprisingly the food is above average. We like
the Artichoke Dip, the Blackened Mahi Mahi Caesar Salad, and their
Meatloaf. (We think the ribs need a lot of help. Flame Tree BBQ has
far better ribs.) They do not take ressies, but you can call the eatery
direct and get "call ahead seating". Usually the service is quick and
friendly. The big negative is that they are far too overpriced for the
quantity of food they serve.

Oddly enough, Big River is actually a local restaurant to me here in my home town. It was started here. We eat at the one here all the time but have not eaten at the one in Disney. I have thought about stopping in there to compare them but there is always so much other to pick from it seems wasteful to eat at a place we can go to on any night we wish. Maybe we need to stop in for a beer from home on our trip next month

Oddly enough, Big River is actually a local restaurant to me here in my home town. It was started here. We eat at the one here all the time but have not eaten at the one in Disney. I have thought about stopping in there to compare them but there is always so much other to pick from it seems wasteful to eat at a place we can go to on any night we wish. Maybe we need to stop in for a beer from home on our trip next month

We've eaten at the Chattanooga, Nashville, and Disney locations and don't think any of them are very good, but of the three, Disney is my least favorite - no atmosphere, poor service, overpriced menu (well, I guess that is par LOL), and dirty seating area.

Ate there the evening of Jan 1, give it a "meh". Meatloaf, grilled chicken salad, quesadilla, ribeye and grilled fish sandwich with sodas were well ove $100. Food was wrong when it came out, as in wrong items delivered to table. Meatloaf tasted odd, extremely heavy on the Italian Sausage (?), did not taste like any meatloaf we'd ever had before. My salad was okay, not worth $15 though. Ribeye was stringy, but the teenager ate it. It was available with no wait for a reason ;)

We have one here in Nashville...food is good, but there are other, better Disney options.

HOWEVER...

If you happen to be kicking around the Boardwalk in the fall, and find yourself in the mood for a good beer, you absolutely positively cannot go wrong with Big River Octoberfest brew. WOW. ::yes::

I will echo others, it's decent for a break from DHS for lunch if you want beers, and mediocre, but passable food. It's overpriced for what it is. Food quality on par with ESPN.

As far as other less talked about restaurants, we just found a new one we really like, the Turf Club at SSR. It's great for a day you're not going into parks. We like the Brie en croute! Rack of lamb and prime rib. They also have themed cocktails, like Mint Juleps.

We also enjoyed Artists Point for a signature dining meal. It's probably $20 more, per person, if drinking and having apps. Just ask for a table by a window, the middle of the restaurant is fairly loud, lots of kids the night we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter