Big girl

Phyllisi

Mouseketeer
Due to various medical conditions, I have gained over 50 pounds since July, will people treat me like a freak on our cruise because of my weight? I am still the same person but feel like I weigh 500 pounds of my weight, a bit over 200 pounds. My husband told me not to worry about my weight and concentrate on my health. I may have to take a medical disability at work and I am only 41. I am grateful that I have this option should it become necessary since so many people have to resign from their job when they become sick and lose all benefits and pay.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone you might bump into...but from my experience on 3 Disney Cruises there are people of all shapes and sizes on board, so I'd be really, REALLY surprised if anyone treated you any differently than anyone else.

I would say that there is little or no way the Disney Cruise CM's would treat you or look at you any different.

So I say don't worry about it, enjoy your trip with a little bit of pixie dust...sounds like you can use it!

pixiedust:

Don't worry about it. Go and have fun! I'm almost 200 pounds and I have no reason other than not enough exercise and overeating. People honestly will not care. Your husband is absolutely correct. Concentrate on your health.

Jill in CO

DCL staff would not ever be rude or make you feel uncomfortable about your size. Believe me I am always self-conscience about my weight but I go and enjoy the cruise....we all have a right to enjoy our vacations and I would be very surprised if anyone ever said or looked at you funny. That would be THEIR PROBLEM (being rude) not yours.

I can honestly tell you that you will see all sizes and shapes onboard....not everyone looks like they do in the commercials or on the travel show!!!!

On my last cruise there was a woman who was easily close to 400 lbs. she went to the adult pool everyday in her bikini....I, personally, would not be comfortable doing it but she was very confident in herself and I thought...OK..WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT!:thumbsup2

Due to various medical conditions, I have gained over 50 pounds since July, will people treat me like a freak on our cruise because of my weight? I am still the same person but feel like I weigh 500 pounds of my weight, a bit over 200 pounds. My husband told me not to worry about my weight and concentrate on my health. I may have to take a medical disability at work and I am only 41. I am grateful that I have this option should it become necessary since so many people have to resign from their job when they become sick and lose all benefits and pay.

Oh, I am so sorry you don't feel good about yourself. It's not the number on the scale- it's loving yourself for who you are. Your weight does NOT define you. You are made up of so many things, weight is only a very small part of you. Unfortunately, our society seems to focus on looks- which is so unfortunate. If you "cruise" this website and look at all the trip reports and postings, you will see that there are MANY "pooh" sized people. (I love that phrase- another cruiser who is larger than average used that term for himself) The point is, people are living their life, and loving their life and not focusing on their body size. If some else judges you for your size, then THEY have a bigger flaw than you- and who needs um! Don't wait to live until your "thin" What if you never manage to loose the weight- life will pass you by!

Make your New Years Resolution to LOVE yourself, find wonderful things about yourself, and focus on living healthy. Put the scale away for a while.

I too am "overweight" but I started running 3 years ago. I run at 2-4 times per week. I also try to swim and bike each week. I am training for a sprint triathalon this summer. I am slow, fat and funny to look at, but when I run I feel good about myself. I don't focus on what my body looks like, I focus on how my body functions and feels. Try to find something that makes you feel good about yourself.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the boat.
Now start living!

I can tell you from personal experience that Disney and DCL are two of the few places on earth where you will not experience fat discrimination from any CM.

OK, so at 250 pounds, I didn't go down slides at Blizzard Beach....but no one would have said anything if I had wanted to.

The chairs in the theatre can be a little snug. If you need, they will put a larger chair in the back for you (in the wheelchair area). I've never done this, but I've seen it happen. The only thing I'm aware of that has size limits is the bunk bed...wait--horse riding excursions too.

Enjoy the cruise!

I personally am a chunky girl and I love DCL..I have never been made to feel like I am an outcast or anything like that. I have a problem with chair arms, so after boarding the ship my son and I head for wavebands and ask for a chair without arms for dinner and it is always at the table waiting for me when we arrive. DCL is the best when it comes to accommodating you...We are getting ready to take our 4th Disney Cruise...Go and have fun...I hope you feel better--Health issues are not fun..I have thyroid issues myself so I feel your pain...

Just because you "feel" like you weigh 500 pounds doesn't mean you even "look" like it, my friend. We are often harder on ourselves than many others are. Now, like a previous poster said, I cannot guarantee that there won't be a very rude person on the ship or even that some CM would have an incredibly rare but terrible day and say something hurtful, but I would be very surprised.

Your hubby is a very wise man -- focus on your health, laugh hard and often, and enjoy the time you have with him. Even us "thinner" people can have health issues that result in major weight gains, but like you said, it doesn't change who you are one bit. You're OK!!!! Be kind to yourself. :goodvibes And may you have a fantastic trip.:wizard: :wizard:

Have a great cruise..... don't worry about your size. I am definately out of shape and have never felt on my cruises like anyone was making fun of me or being critical.
Like others have mentioned, most everyone is pretty much NOT like the models on the commericals.

Good golly Miss Molly. 50 lbs overweight is not unusual unless you are a professional supermodel.

Go to the "Women's" department and buy some properly fitting clothes that make you feel good about yourself. If you are not used to dressing heavy then get some advice.

Also, try triple w dot sparkpeople dot com for an excellent free diet and health website. If it's a medical condition you may not lose the weight but you can be a healthy version of yourself. They have special groups for people with various health concerns and a group for disboard fans. :hippie:

I too had health issues on our last cruise. I was undergoing chemo treatment fore breast cancer and gained about 20 pounds and I didn't have any hair. Nobody ever said or did anything to make me feel self conscience. I wore my wig to dinner and wore head wraps around the ship and on excursions.

Don't worry so much about what other people may think, concentrate on yourself and getting healthy and having a very relaxing time. Believe me when I say that DCL is very theraputic and is good for what ails you!

Yeah, I don't know where they get the people in the background of the Travel Channel shows or the vacation planning dvds, but I've never seen them on any of our cruises. The boat is chock full of just normal people. Short, tall, fat, skinny, bald, hairy, just a (literal) boatload of 'murricans.

And if anybody gives you any guff, do what I do...steal their dessert, blot out their sun, and accidentally sit on their children...

either and I would say on my DCL cruise, there were morer people like me that I would have ever thought....

I used to worry a lot about what people were thinking about me until I realized that NO ONE IS PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO ME!!! Most people are so self absorbed it's a wonder they notice anything going on around them at all. Once I realized that it was all in my head, life got much easier. Enjoy your trip!

YOU GO GIRL- don't like it? look the other way. Now that woman has it all going on!!!!:banana:

I think you may have missed my point....I was not judging, but observing. I thought it wonderful she felt enough confidence in herself to do that. As I said, I would not wear a bikini but she did and that is great!!!:thumbsup2

I think you may have missed my point....I was not judging, but observing. I thought it wonderful she felt enough confidence in herself to do that. As I said, I would not wear a bikini but she did and that is great!!!:thumbsup2

I think that she was agreeing with you. :goodvibes

Didn't seem that way with "DON'T LIKE IT, LOOK THE OTHER WAY"

But it is hard to tell someone's intentions so who knows.

Yes, I know, but the "You go Girl" means that she is strutting her stuff with her head held and and not caring what anyone else thinks about her weight. If they don't like it, then look away.

So, she was definitely agreeing with you. And so do I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter