Big family tips with large age spread?

aimsicle

Earning My Ears
I have been to WDW before, but that was when I only had two kids. I have since remarried (and very happily) and we now have 6 (one is an "ours" baby). I am planning a trip for October 2014, which will by our 5th anniversary and the last chance to take the kids before the oldest goes to college (and the oldest and dh's other two kids have never been). I figured I definitely want to take our youngest again, and I didn't think his kids would be happy if they never went as kids but then we took our kid. (how is that for justification that we HAVE to go...;))

SOOO...when we go we will have kids ages 17, 16, 16, 13, 11, and 4. In the past when I went with my girls, we woke up early, did parks, came back for rest time or nap, and then went out again. I am hoping the teens will be ok with that this time since I KNOW the 4 year old will need that.

I really am hoping I can save enough to stay at Wilderness Lodge (DH would love it) and get two rooms. How likely will they connect them? I hear it is not guaranteed.

I also want to fly--it is a two day drive...it all depends how much I can save. (this is when planning over a year in advance is helpful)

Also considering one night out with my dh, leaving the 4 year old and 11 year old at the Cub's Den, and letting the teens go do whatever they want to do. Any ideas of what DH and I may want to do? How about the teens? Should I worry about them? I am hoping with cell phones and transportation, they should be able to figure it out ok.

I am thinking about spending the last two days at Universal (we have some big time Harry Potter fans). Maybe renting a car for the last weekend to get there.

I know there are some of you out there with lots of kids...bring the advice on...

We love the WL, but you are correct that they will not guarantee connecting rooms. You might end up having to have you and your DH sleep in different rooms with the kids. Another option to consider is renting points to stay in a villa at the WL. You'd need a 2 bedroom to sleep 8, and that would also give you a full kitchen and washer/dryer, which can be so helpful in reducing how much you pack. You could save $ by eating breakfast (and even other meals) in your room.

I'd consider switching resorts and staying on property at Universal for the days you are there. You'll get front of the line passes if you do that. You could take two taxis to get there. But then you'd also have to pay for airport transportation.

We are a family of 6 (4 kiddos -- 16,9,7 and 4 at time of our next visit) and we are going in December. I booked 2 rooms at POR and I was told that I was guaranteed to get connecting rooms because there are only 2 adults and 4 minors. If there are 3 adults, they will not guarantee it. I am not sure if 17 is considered an adult so you can call and ask.
We have a much different touring plan than you. We go all day and let the 4 year old nap in the stroller. My older kids to not want to take a break and go back to the room. We also, stick together most of day (it is rare for the older ones to go off on their own). It is a family vacation and that means spending time as a family. Everyone gets to do what they want, they just have to be patient and wait til we get to that ride/show. We have always vacationed this way and our kids never question it. It works well for us but only you know what will work for your family.

We are a family of 6 (4 kiddos -- 16,9,7 and 4 at time of our next visit) and we are going in December. I booked 2 rooms at POR and I was told that I was guaranteed to get connecting rooms because there are only 2 adults and 4 minors. If there are 3 adults, they will not guarantee it. I am not sure if 17 is considered an adult so you can call and ask.
We have a much different touring plan than you. We go all day and let the 4 year old nap in the stroller. My older kids to not want to take a break and go back to the room. We also, stick together most of day (it is rare for the older ones to go off on their own). It is a family vacation and that means spending time as a family. Everyone gets to do what they want, they just have to be patient and wait til we get to that ride/show. We have always vacationed this way and our kids never question it. It works well for us but only you know what will work for your family.

I anticipate we will be together most of the six days...I was just thinking about one night dividing up.

Also...if only I could trust the youngest to sleep in the stroller. We were at Sea World for two days, and she would not nap at all...too much going on. My oldest DD (when she was a baby) had no issues sleeping in a stroller.

Good idea on the universal resort--I was considering that...just trying to figure out transportation.

We have a large spread in our kids too. Our are 22, 17, 14 and 5. We have also let the older kids take a friend at various times. We have found that for the most part, they want to stick together. We let the 2 oldest go and do whatever they want (as in parks, back and forth to the resort, etc). They have been going to WDW for most of their lives and have a good grasp on where everything is and how to get from point A to point B.
All of my kids love going back to the resort midday to swim. Sometimes they will rest too, but that is rare...mainly they want pool time.
You may be surprised and have the 4 yr old fall asleep in the stroller. Mine never naps at home (since 18mos old) but she will occasionally fall asleep in the stroller (especially as the week wears on).
We have always requested connecting rooms at POP and have gotten them. We had connecting rooms at WL also. It is not a guarentee, but we have never NOT gotten them. I would also price out 2 rooms at the WL and a 2BR as the PP stated. The villa would be so much nicer and that washer and dryer is a blessing with so many kids. I always love to have a W/D and that lets me pack less and come home with clean clothes:goodvibes

I would also move to a Universal Resort for that part of your trip. We have never been, but have friends that love it and say the FOTL perk is most definately worth staying on property. There is a car care center on WDW property (2 actually) and you could rent a car for those couple of days from there.

A six and a 21 year old here. We do a variety of things to make it work. The bulk of the time we stay together but if splitting works for some times, that is fine too. A couple of suggestions: If you think your DD needs down time at the resort.....leave the older kids in the park. With a 17 year old, they should be fine! If they want to split for short time, say DD want to ride SW 10 times and they want to do SM, it's fine. As for the evening, get creative and allow some special bonding time. If the little one needs an early bedtime, let mom and the girls go out one night and the next night, DH and the boys. I would give the kids a night alone, then have them sit while you and DH go out one night. I think that technically they will guarantee adjoining rooms with only two adults but there is always a SMALL chance there will be no rooms available. We like WL, but you might get more value renting points and staying DVC or maybe a cabin. There is no right or wrong way and what you think will work, might end up not being what works after all. Be willing to go with the flow!

I remember one family trip we took from IL to
Colorado in a very small camper with parents. My brother was 17 and I was 20 years old. My father stays up very late, with the t.v. on, and then they were both up in the camper cooking breakfast by 6:00 a.m.

I thought I was going to break from lack of sleep. One day I got to stay overnight with my 22 year old brother (the reason for the trip). His roommate was gone for the weekend. I was soooo excited to sleep in. I then spent about 4 hours hanging out with just my brother, eating and sitting in the sun.

The point of all this is to offer choices to those older children. They can always meet up with you later, meet up for lunch.... while you can still hit rope drop.

The pool at Wilderness Lodge is really fun! It has a nice slide, nothing scary or anything, but it was still fun for us adults and our pre-teen. Wilderness Lodge also has those "Mouse Boats," that you can zip around on the lake, super fun. Keep in mind the rooms at Wilderness Lodge are very small, so I agree that you should get two rooms.

I hadn't really considered the Villas...thought they would be too much, but after looking at the prices, if I could get a good deal, it may be roughly the same as two rooms at WL. I will play with that--don't totally understand DVC points.

aimsicle said:
I hadn't really considered the Villas...thought they would be too much, but after looking at the prices, if I could get a good deal, it may be roughly the same as two rooms at WL. I will play with that--don't totally understand DVC points.

Actually if you rent points through David's (check out the reviews on here), it may be cheaper to get a villa than two rooms.

I'm joining in! We are a big, blended family! I am planning a late August/early September 2014 trip. This trip will include DH, Me, SDS, DD, SDS, SDD, DD, SDS, and DS, and to round it all off my BFF, her wife, and DD will be joining us. So we'll be a party of 12 (4 adults, 8 kids). The kids will range from 3 to 15. Our plan is to drive the 20 hours in two days using a 15 person passenger van, eek :drive: So far I think we are looking at 2 AoA family suites (the littlest one is a major FN fan!!!). Any advice or hints would be awesome as there are so many choices and decisions for a WDW trip, I'm so glad I have a year and a half to plan!!! Thanks in advance for any assistance :goodvibes

Tasha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter