big eaters

jbsa

Earning My Ears
Wondering what people's opinion/experience is with dining plan for big eaters? My husband and sons are big eaters. I'm worried that they won't get enough to eat on meal plan and we'll end up buying more to supplement anyway so not being worth it in the end.

Anyone experience that? We'd probably try and do as many buffets as possible to maximize but what about all the rest of the meals?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, this is a first! Most people say there is too much food as part of the meal plan... and I'm one of them! I hate letting my kids have 2 desserts a day, but hey, it's vacation!

There are certainly lots of buffet & all you care to enjoy (AYCE) meals to choose from, and I've never left one hungry. As for QS meals (assuming regular DDP), I find many of the offerings more than enough to share with one of my kids (half chicken & rib combo meal comes to mind!), so I can't imagine them not being able to find something to satisfy their appetites. The meal plan is only intended to provide 2 meals, so you will still need to supplement the 3rd, but if you are doing mostly buffet & AYCE meals, the dining plan is probably your best bet.

Ok! We're really new to this whole thing so I would hate to pay for something and then have the men complaining they're hungry all the time.

I've looked on the disney site but it seems pretty vague what items are part of DDP and which aren't. Is there somewhere that shows what all the options are? I can find menus but can we pick anything off the menu or just specific options?

I know it seems a bit overwhelming, but the bottom line is this... if you order the most expensive entrees on the menu &/or do buffet/ayce then you are probably going to save money. If you are a light eater (salad/app for dinner?) you will not get your money's worth from the dining plan. So this is the short primer...

Let's start with the Table Service credit (TS)

Almost all Disney restaurants are 1 TS for an adult meal. This will include a non-alchoholic drink, an entree, and a dessert. There are a limited number of "Signature" restaurants that will charge you 2 TS credits for a single meal. For the most part, it is usually better (purely from a financial standpoint) to skip those or pay out of pocket since it is hard to get a full 2 TS value even ordering the most expensive meals.

At breakfast you are allowed 2 drinks (i.e. coffee & juice) since dessert won't be offered.

If you want an appetizer, that will be out of pocket.

For Quick Service meals (QS):

The basic meal is the same... drink, entree & dessert. Breakfast is again a no dessert, but 2 drinks.

Snacks:
All snacks that are part of the DDP at the various Disney restaurants & snack counters are going to be labeled with a little D/P icon. For the most part these are sweet items under $4, but there are also a number of "savory" snacks and some that are more than $4. We love to get the chicken fried rice in Animal Kingdom with our snack credit. it is a FULL Chinese takeout container of fried rice, and combined with a regular lunch credit is more than enough for me and my 9yo twins.

upload_2015-5-5_20-31-21.jpeg

There are a few restaurants that don't accept DDP, just make sure you have that option selected when narrowing down your choices on the restaurant unless you want to pay out of pocket.

One other thing... you can use your credits over the course of your stay however you like. What I mean is, if you want 2 TS meals on Monday, and only QS meals on Tuesday that's fine. We LOVE to "snack around the world" when at Epcot so even though Epcot has some of the best restaurants, we hardly ever eat there because we love using up those snack credits at each of the various countries (France & Norway are our favorites!)

I don't think there is a "newer" version of the snack credit list, but here is last year's

http://www.disboards.com/threads/2014-confirmed-snacks-thread.3215018/

For Quick Service meals (QS):

The basic meal is the same... drink, entree & dessert. Breakfast is again a no dessert, but 2 drinks.

Snacks:
All snacks that are part of the DDP at the various Disney restaurants & snack counters are going to be labeled with a little D/P icon. For the most part these are sweet items under $4, but there are also a number of "savory" snacks and some that are more than $4. We love to get the chicken fried rice in Animal Kingdom with our snack credit. it is a FULL Chinese takeout container of fried rice, and combined with a regular lunch credit is more than enough for me and my 9yo twins.

View attachment 93294
Mini-hijack: Is it in writing anywhere that you get 2 drinks at breakfast, or just what folks have experienced? I'm pretty straight-up coffee for breakfast, but grabbing an extra milk or juice would come in handy.

Wondering what people's opinion/experience is with dining plan for big eaters? My husband and sons are big eaters. I'm worried that they won't get enough to eat on meal plan and we'll end up buying more to supplement anyway so not being worth it in the end.

Anyone experience that? We'd probably try and do as many buffets as possible to maximize but what about all the rest of the meals?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest researching menus for meals that would satisfy your family. I think that choosing AYCE buffets are a great idea. A couple of other places that I would recommend are:
50's Prime Time- 1TS credit (fried chicken meal includes 4 pieces of fried chicken, potatoes, vegetable and a drink such as a milk shake, as well as a dessert)
Chefs de France - 1 TS credit: Prix Fixe meal (appetizer, meal, dessert and beverage)
Mama Melrose Fantasmic! package -1 TS credit includes an appetizer such as calamari or caesar salad or soup, entree (such as steak and mac n cheese) and dessert platter with beverage.
Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD- 1 QS credit - large quick service meals and great variety such a pizza's, salmon, pasta, sandwiches

Maybe you should try to get a list of restaurants (as listed above) that have large portion sizes to help plan your meals?
The DDP plan comes with refillable resort mug which will be helpful. You can also pack snacks for your room.
Remember that snack credits can be filling too (for example, a funnel cake or giant ice cream sandwich from Sleepy Hollow- it's a snack that feels like a meal)
Good luck with your planning:-) We love the DDP.

Mini-hijack: Is it in writing anywhere that you get 2 drinks at breakfast, or just what folks have experienced? I'm pretty straight-up coffee for breakfast, but grabbing an extra milk or juice would come in handy.
If you are using a quick service credit at breakfast, you get your entree and one drink. But if you are at your resort, you'll have your mug for coffee anyways. We always get milk as our drink so we can store it in our resort fridge and use it for cereal in the morning.

PP is right, breakfast no longer includes a second drink. SORRY! So hard to keep up with the changes year over year. :o

But hey, that's what DIS is for, right :disrocks:

Only way you get 2 drinks at breakfast is if you have a beverage in your refillable mug plus the one beverage you are entitled to at meals.

OP, choose lots of buffets and AYCE and they will always have enough to eat. Some places have large entree portions and they are entitled to dessert as well. And yes you can order anything on the menu (entrees for 2 must be ordered and split by 2 persons)

My take is, if it's "free" for us it's nice. We're not huge eaters. Got it free a few years ago, and also ordered a few breakfast items (son is dairy and egg allergic, so "safe" pop tarts and cereal) and wine & a 12 pack of beer from Garden Grocer. The regular dining plan for us was a lot of food - ended up tossing many desserts after a bite or two. The order from garden grocer, although nice, was not needed (I think I could have gotten soy milk from the shop at the Boardwalk, and they had a few items that we could have bought but didn't need!).

To the original poster - have you been to Disney? Many meals are large in my opinion.

I know there's quite a few people on the DIS who are not fans of the Deluxe Dining Plan (I am personally, but its not for everyone), but I will tell you that the chances your big eaters will be hungry on that plan is almost non-existent. There's so much food on the Deluxe plan. That is actually a complaint of most people, but I actually like it (I am a thin person, but can eat a surprising amount when I am on vacation). So, depending on what your budget is, that's an option.

Honestly, this is a first! Most people say there is too much food as part of the meal plan... and I'm one of them! I hate letting my kids have 2 desserts a day, but hey, it's vacation!

There are certainly lots of buffet & all you care to enjoy (AYCE) meals to choose from, and I've never left one hungry. As for QS meals (assuming regular DDP), I find many of the offerings more than enough to share with one of my kids (half chicken & rib combo meal comes to mind!), so I can't imagine them not being able to find something to satisfy their appetites. The meal plan is only intended to provide 2 meals, so you will still need to supplement the 3rd, but if you are doing mostly buffet & AYCE meals, the dining plan is probably your best bet.

You've never met my family! I've literally never seen my dad or brother not completely clean a plate (and I mean CLEAN) - including when they order something meant for multiple people. A typical restaurant entree alone (no app or dessert) is too much for my mom, but when she's cooking dinner for herself, my dad, and brother, she usually makes 5 lb of boneless meat (plus several sides)!

I would avoid signature restaurants if you are looking for larger portions. They aren't the best bang for your buck on the plan and Cinderella's Royal Table has pretty small portions for the price and quality.

Great restaurant choices- Whispering Canyon (all you can eat skillet), Ohana (all you can eat family style), Garden Grill, Crystal Palace, Boma, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tusker House, T-Rex Cafe

Quick Service- Cosmic Ray's, Columbia Harbour House, Flame Tree BBQ, and Wolfgang Puck Express

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter