• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big D's Wish Trip

MrsMeow

Earning My Ears
I'm super excited to start planning for my son's wish trip! Dawson is 5 and a half years old, and as of last Thursday, officially told his wish granters that he'd like to go to Disney World!

29m14ef.jpg

Dawson was a typical, healthy 4.5 year old last year at this time, and then suddenly he broke out into hives (which honestly wasn't all that abnormal for him). The hives eventually lead to his entire lower body swelling and turning purple. D went into the hospital on May 15, 2013, and on June 25 of last year, he had both feet amputated and skin grafts of his lower body due to his illness (officially diagnosed as purpura fulminans). The first time around, he was in the hospital for 84 days. After his discharge, he had a couple of additional hospital stays, including one for a bone infection, and re-grafting of his knee.

In January of this year, Dawson had his most recent hospital stay, for intense rehab to use his prostheses. And these days, you can find him looking adorable with his new legs on - Ninja Turtles! (Family pic with Dad, Mom, and his little brother Wes, who is 16 months younger than him).

f2n785.jpg

Yep...and now climbing a rock wall at school. (He's had his legs less than 4 months!!)

2055aie.jpg

He still has some lasting damage from his illness, and will have to have additional surgeries down the road (into his teens), but for now, he is pretty much a typical 5 year-old...although instead of putting on shoes each day, he puts on feet. :)

How we got to this wish is a long story (maybe for another day), but we are here. We requested October for his trip, and I'm excited (and sooo intimidated) to start planning!

And since I'm obviously new...why isn't my signature showing up? Is it not retro-active on previous posts? I can see it with the preview just fine...

Edit - Huh. It's there now. :)

We are still anxiously waiting to hear back on the official word that D's trip has been approved. One of his wish granters quickly touched base last week, just to say hi, and I'm so thankful for that extra piece of communication. :)

D's road to this wish has been a relatively long one, from what I understand. Mainly because his doctor never filled out the paperwork last June when we initially contacted MAW (he says he never received it). Another wish kid we know actually asked our doctor about it ("Dawson's mom said MAW never heard back from you." Gotta love kids and how blunt they can be!), and our doctor reached out to MAW to get D back in process less than 2 months ago.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of game plan we'll put into place for our trip. We likely won't map out the days a ton, beyond "Go to Magic Kingdom today" etc, but who knows?

Any feedback on rides for two boys who want NOTHING to do with princesses would be great. One co-worker (with a daughter) said Magic Kingdom was the best, and another co-worker (with 2 sons) said Universal was the best (because she thought it was more "boy" oriented). Thoughts?

We found out on Friday that everything is APPROVED, and they will be calling us tomorrow with dates!!! I am SO excited...and I'm pretty sure D forgot all about his wish. Ah, kids! :woohoo:

Mrsmeow......cute name. We are going to disney October 18th. We will be at gktw. My son is 8 with muscular dystrophy. We also gave a 4 yr old son. I enjoy this thread. We are planning n going with the flow and not over planning. Are you making any dinner reservations? Evelyn

I'm super excited to start planning for my son's wish trip! Dawson is 5 and a half years old, and as of last Thursday, officially told his wish granters that he'd like to go to Disney World!

29m14ef.jpg

Dawson was a typical, healthy 4.5 year old last year at this time, and then suddenly he broke out into hives (which honestly wasn't all that abnormal for him). The hives eventually lead to his entire lower body swelling and turning purple. D went into the hospital on May 15, 2013, and on June 25 of last year, he had both feet amputated and skin grafts of his lower body due to his illness (officially diagnosed as purpura fulminans). The first time around, he was in the hospital for 84 days. After his discharge, he had a couple of additional hospital stays, including one for a bone infection, and re-grafting of his knee.

In January of this year, Dawson had his most recent hospital stay, for intense rehab to use his prostheses. And these days, you can find him looking adorable with his new legs on - Ninja Turtles! (Family pic with Dad, Mom, and his little brother Wes, who is 16 months younger than him).

f2n785.jpg

Yep...and now climbing a rock wall at school. (He's had his legs less than 4 months!!)

2055aie.jpg

He still has some lasting damage from his illness, and will have to have additional surgeries down the road (into his teens), but for now, he is pretty much a typical 5 year-old...although instead of putting on shoes each day, he puts on feet. :)

How we got to this wish is a long story (maybe for another day), but we are here. We requested October for his trip, and I'm excited (and sooo intimidated) to start planning!

You have a precious family!!! While I know no one ever really wants to qualify for a wish, I'm going to say congratulations anyway. The stress and strain the whole family goes through is tremendous and the opportunity to have a wish, no matter what it is, really does lift everyone's spirit and mood.

Looks like nothing can slow down Big D!! Typical boy!! Love it!! I look forward to hearing more from you and your adventures in planning (or not planning, as it the case may be)!

Thanks, guys! We were supposed to get finalized details early in the month, but we just got them today - we leave fly out Oct 7 and return Oct 13! Our local Wish chapter asked us if we'd like to do a character meal, and I asked if they could get us tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party, and they did! That was about the only "add-on" I was thinking of doing (as of now, anyway!), so I'm glad that was added to our trip.

I will have to do some mapping out of our days. We don't get in until 6pm on the 7th, so obviously we won't be going anywhere that day. On the 13th, we don't fly out until 7pm, so I think we'll use that as a relaxation, hang out at GKTW day. Beyond that...I guess I do have SOME planning to do! :)

Mrsmeow......cute name. We are going to disney October 18th. We will be at gktw. My son is 8 with muscular dystrophy. We also gave a 4 yr old son. I enjoy this thread. We are planning n going with the flow and not over planning. Are you making any dinner reservations? Evelyn

I don't think I'm going to do any dinner reservations. I'll keep looking around to see if there might be a cool one, but the boys are more interested in rides/games/fun than characters.

What a determined young man!!!!

Yay for dates!!! We will barely miss you at GKTW!!! We fly out Sept 28!! We are extending on our own and staying on the beach for a wk!!! We went last ur for my other sons wish trip, and needed a vacation from our vacation! Lol

As far as what your kids will like better, it depends on there likes and dislikes. My kids loved Universal!! Of course, you could stay at GKTW all wk, and still have a blast!!!! I'm not a big planner either, but I do recommend looking at the park maps, and checking any show times out. !

We went back and forth on extending our trip, but we are running on pretty limited vacation time this year, so we decided to plan a beach trip for next year so we could make our way to Clearwater and see Winter the dolphin! :)

I've gotten VERY lucky in the planning department. I was telling my boss at work how overwhelmed I was with the options, and the next thing I knew, she was telling me that her husband is going to map out our trip for us, lol! I'm so excited to see what he plans out...even if we only use 50% of his plans, it's a HUGE weight off of my shoulders!

We realized late last week that we are a mere TWO months from our trip. At this point, it barely seems real. I can't wait until we get closer...the boys are excited, but I can only imagine what it will be like less than 2 months from now when we are driving to the airport!

That will be awesome!!! I hear Clearwater is beautiful! I thought about going to see Winter also! I love dolphins! I could sit for hrs watching them!

Yay for less work for you!!!! Seems like when your excited for something time trickles, but the wk of the trip will fly!!

Ok we've got our days somewhat mapped out for us:

Day 1 - Arrive @ Give Kids the World at 7pm
Day 2 - Animal Kingdom (AM), Disney Studios (PM)...see "Fantasmic" at 8pm
Day 3 - Magic Kingdom (MNSSHP that night!)
Day 4 - Epcot
Day 5 - Universal
Day 6 - either Universal or MK
Day 7 - Not sure - flight doesn't leave until 7pm, we'll see how the day goes!

Our biggest black hole in the planning is Universal. We were fortunate enough to have my boss's husband give us a gameplan for the rest of the trip, but he didn't know much about Universal, and I know NOTHING. And I seriously hate planning...but I want it planned for me, lol.

So - how does Universal treat wish kids? What are our must-sees? Some people have said our boys (4.5 & 5.5) will like Universal better than MK, and some say the reverse. (In general, their favorite things these days are: Planes, Super Heroes, Ninja Turtles, etc)

Any thoughts or feedback. Trip is in t-minus 22 days!

Universal really rolled out the red carpet!!!! One family told me they actually took them on a golf cart from one park to the other. Your kids will love the super Heros!!!! I can't really give you some musts, my boys loved Barney and Spongebob!!

You have a really awesome little dude!!!

I hope you guys have a great trip! So deserved!!

My son also wished for Disney, we leave in 3 weeks!

Have fun :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter