• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biergarten - seems like a love it or hate it place

We really like the Biergarten. The food isn't the best German food we've had, but we also lived in Germany and were able to experience some of the best. My husband loves the Schoefferhoeffer Weizen so it's a "must" on our dinner ADRs. Looking forward to eating there in a couple of weeks.

If you are a Meat N Taters kind of eater, it's hard to beat Biergarten. My DH LOVED it!

I, OTOH, am a Hard Core Foodie and I found it moderately repulsive. :-)

We too, are looking forward to eating here in September. We always make a stop into Sommerfest and enjoy that!

Biergarten is in my top 2 favorite Disney restaurants...My number 1 being 'Ohana! Someone said Biergarten is the "total package"...I couldn't agree more. The atmosphere, entertainment, seating, servers...all add so much to the total experience. My husband and I are BIG eaters...we love pretty much any and all types of food. We grew up eating "Bohemian" food, which is pretty darned close to German food. If you like dishes like chicken schnitzel (basically a chicken breast pounded very thin and breaded, served with a delicious gravy), spaetzle (sort of like tiny dumplings, also coincidentally served with gravy), red cabbage, sauerkraut, assorted sausages...you will like this place! There is so much more than that...roast chicken, roasted potatoes, always a couple of carved meats (usually one pork loin), meatloaf, all sorts of salads, delicious soup, pretzel bread and the list goes on. It's definitely heavy and comfort food. If you're looking for "fresh and light" this wouldn't be the place for you. I love it! And I love the *idea* of one of those big beers, but I never ever get one...saving all of my room for dinner!

DH's favorite eatery is Biergarden. The combo of great beer, great atmosphere, fun oompa band, good food and all around good time makes it a must do for us.

DD does not like the food so much, but enjoys the rest of the experience. She still finds plenty of eat.

We went for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. My kids tried new foods. My youngest ate lots of pretzel bread. The table sat 8, we had 6. I was at an end. My dh, mother, and youngest ds enjoyed conversation with our table mates, a woman from Germany and her bf from Australia. She didn't speak English and he did. The servers were excellent and we had a fun lunch.

Sorry, but the food imho was just gross. All the food, even the desserts (seriously it is hard to mess up desserts!) They should of paid me to eat here and given me $$$ for pain and suffering. I didn't mind the communal seating, but we were sitting next to a group that apparently did not want to converse with others, or each other, awkward.... The show was cute, but seriously I cannot understand how people can like the food there. Thought food at Crystal Place and Chef Mickey's was light years better than this place, so we have done a few good buffets. To each his/her own, I wish I had the $$$$ we spent here back to have gone somewhere else! We won't EVER be back.

Sorry, but the food imho was just gross. All the food, even the desserts (seriously it is hard to mess up desserts!) They should of paid me to eat here and given me $$$ for pain and suffering. I didn't mind the communal seating, but we were sitting next to a group that apparently did not want to converse with others, or each other, awkward.... The show was cute, but seriously I cannot understand how people can like the food there. Thought food at Crystal Place and Chef Mickey's was light years better than this place, so we have done a few good buffets. To each his/her own, I wish I had the $$$$ we spent here back to have gone somewhere else! We won't EVER be back.

Different strokes for different folks, because I have vowed to not eat at Chef Mickey's again due to the food choices, taste and the fact that I saw multiple people not getting a clean plate when they went up for more food. :eek: I even saw one lady at CM's put a rib (or something) on her plate (not a new one) and then take it off and put it back in the bin for someone else to take. :sick: :crazy2:

Biergarten-we enjoy the food and atmosphere but HATE the communal (table-sharing) seating. It's not a must-do for us every visit but we put up with the lousy seating every few years or so.

Ditto. Love the food and the atmosphere, but we dislike eating with strangers. My husband is very shy, so it's just awkward. But those pretzel rolls are worth it once every few years.

We ate there in 2011, thought it was good. Had fun with the people at our table, some were not interested in talking so didn't push that. I take food reviews with a grain of salt. I have seen people ask on here "None of us like german food so should we eat here for the entertainment".....Probably not, your food review is going to be bad. My DW doesn't care highly for seafood, what do you think her review of Coral Reef would be? It's a to each his own on what you like.:thumbsup2

We've enjoyed it. It we've always had interesting people sit with us so I am sure that has made it extra nice. Enjoyed the food each time very much, but not a love love got to have it food feeling. The music and overall experience makes it special and it's on our dining plans again for November ... So their doing something right for us : )

I already said I liked the food and the beer helps with social awkwardness.
And about the communal seating- because so many consider it a big deal- it's not that different from a crowded restaurant where the tables are 2 feet apart. In fact that situation is probably more awkward than explicit communal seating. At Biergarten its pretty easy to exchange some initial pleasantries and then go on about your business. Not really awkward at all.

I have never eaten here - for some reason it just never makes it to the list. But my son went for his senior class trip in March, and they had one night with dinner on their own. He made an ADR for himself and nine friends. They loved it! They said the food and entertainment were great and they got lots of attention from the CMs. After hearing his stories and seeing the pictures, I think we will give it a try some day. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We ate there in 2011, thought it was good. Had fun with the people at our table, some were not interested in talking so didn't push that. I take food reviews with a grain of salt. I have seen people ask on here "None of us like german food so should we eat here for the entertainment".....Probably not, your food review is going to be bad. My DW doesn't care highly for seafood, what do you think her review of Coral Reef would be? It's a to each his own on what you like.:thumbsup2

In our case, our opinion of the food wasn't tainted by the fact that we don't like German food. When we lived in Tampa, there was a German restaurant nearby. We all think that restaurant is much better than Biergarten. As I said earlier, I think you really need to enjoy buffets in general to like the food there. The quality is very similar to other Disney buffets & cheaper buffets everywhere. The difference is in the cuisine. Those who like most buffets should enjoy Biergarten. For those who aren't usually a big fan of buffets, Biergarten probably won't change their mind.

I grew up eating home cooking from my Czech grandmother who made many of these dishes. Biergarten isn't fancy but it's comfort food done right.

Exactly! My great grandma came here from Germany, and I grew up eating fantastic German dinners. Biergarten fills that void that has been missing since she passed away.

It's good, solid comfort food.

Booked Biergarten for our last trip 2 years ago because I thought the 2 6 year olds would like the band and the atmosphere but they were less than impressed. The food was great but it was too loud and busy for our more laid back group. I think if your group would enjoy the entertainment then you should go. Personally, we won't be back because it was a little much for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter