Biergarten, Garden Grill, or Coral Reef?

ljca79

Mouseketeer
Family of four, including two young children. What is best for dinner? I am aware Garden Grill is a character meal, so my question there is whether it is worth the extra $ as far as food quality. (If there were not characters, is the food that much better?) Would you pick Biergarten over Coral Reef? Thanks!

Family of four, including two young children. What is best for dinner? I am aware Garden Grill is a character meal, so my question there is whether it is worth the extra $ as far as food quality. (If there were not characters, is the food that much better?) Would you pick Biergarten over Coral Reef? Thanks!

I don't think there is a character dining that is worth "the extra $" as far as food quality. IMHO, it is strictly about the experience and the priceless memories you will have with your children. That is a hard thing to put a price on. As far as the food at Garden Grill, I really cannot say since I am not really a buffet fan outside of breakfast and rarely do them for dinner. However, with that said, Biergarten was one of the buffets that I really enjoyed and would go back again. As for the restaurant, I think your kids would have a good time there. Coral Reef? This is a restaurant that gets a lot of mixed reviews. I personally like Coral Reef. I will admit that both times I have been there I was seated up to 20 minutes past my ADR time, but as for the food I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good. In fact I ordered a steak there the same year I had a steak at LeCellier and thought the one at Coral Reef was much better. I also have no doubt your kids will love the atmosphere and the aquarium at the Coral Reef. Again, I like the Coral Reef and will return in the near future.

I don't think there is a character dining that is worth "the extra $" as far as food quality. IMHO, it is strictly about the experience and the priceless memories you will have with your children. That is a hard thing to put a price on. As far as the food at Garden Grill, I really cannot say since I am not really a buffet fan outside of breakfast and rarely do them for dinner. However, with that said, Biergarten was one of the buffets that I really enjoyed and would go back again. As for the restaurant, I think your kids would have a good time there. Coral Reef? This is a restaurant that gets a lot of mixed reviews. I personally like Coral Reef. I will admit that both times I have been there I was seated up to 20 minutes past my ADR time, but as for the food I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good. In fact I ordered a steak there the same year I had a steak at LeCellier and thought the one at Coral Reef was much better. I also have no doubt your kids will love the atmosphere and the aquarium at the Coral Reef. Again, I like the Coral Reef and will return in the near future.
Agree completely. I should have included the fact that we already have four character meals on the books, so one more probably will not make TOO much of a difference. I had read the food was good at GG, which was the reason for the question. Thanks for the information. I keep reading mixed reviews on CR. We may just go Biergarten based on your assessment of the three - thanks again.

Agree completely. I should have included the fact that we already have four character meals on the books, so one more probably will not make TOO much of a difference. I had read the food was good at GG, which was the reason for the question. Thanks for the information. I keep reading mixed reviews on CR. We may just go Biergarten based on your assessment of the three - thanks again.

Your welcome. I am sure if you end up going to Biergarten you will all have a good time and will enjoy the food. But I will say one thing I have learned here on the DIS is to weigh the reviews and opinions with a grain of sand. I have dined at restaurants that many raved about (LeCellier) and did not care for and others that get mixed reviews (SAI, CR) and I enjoyed them. And I do agree with you that with four character meals and having one more will not make a big deal.

I've eaten all 3 and think they all are very good. If you already have lots of character meals booked, I would probably decide if the kids would like the fish tanks of Coral Reef or the music of the polka band at Biergarten more and choose based on that.

Biergarten would be my choice, but I will say that if you have really picky eaters, not a ton of options for them. We also didn't care for the communal seating. However, the german food was good, the band was fun, and the place itself is very well themed.

Our family valiently tried Biergarten upon reports that even the pickiest eaters would do fine.

Just not our cup of tea. So I would try any restaurant over that. The entertainment was nice, but our family evidently is just not that into German food (we only have one picky eater, so it wasn't just him and it wasn't that the food was inherently bad). So given what you have listed, I would try a Coral Reef over Biergarten if our family was making the choice.

My dd loved GG when she was little. She also enjoyed CR, but was just "ok" with Biergarten because she was a picky eater and had trouble finding something to accommodate her "taste-buds" there. Unfortunately "our picky eater" was not happy with the selections, so not a good value for us.

Personally I would vote for GG. It's fun, unique and even though there are many character meals throughout WDW, Chip n Dale are tough to come by at the character meals these days and they are a blast. The characters spend more time with you at GG, since the food is "family style" you don't have to get up and go to a buffet. The food is fresh with a nice variety and they definitely accommodate "kid's picky tastebuds":D...

CR can be a hit or miss situation although most times it was a hit for us plus the fish tank can be quite entertaining for the young ones and you can see it from every seat in the restaurant.

Feel free to check out my Epcot restaurant reviews for photos and more info:

http://disneydiningreviews.com/epcot-dining.htm

In my experience, without the entertainment, Biergarten is just like Costco. The only difference is it's in Epcot so Disney can charge me for the $1.50 Costco hotdogs for at least 50 times more.

I have never been to Garden Grill or Coral Reef, but Beirgarten is a must do every year for our very picky 8 year old. We have been going there since she was 2. This year I let each family member pick two restaurants to eat at, and her #1 was Beirgarten. we enjoy both the atmosphere and the food.

We took my son to both Biergarten and Coral Reef on his first trip at three. He's a pretty flexible eater, so both were fine for that, but he loved the communal seating (he made some new friends...) and German band at Biergarten. He got up and danced and had a blast. Think the food is a bit better at Coral Reef, but with little guys it can sometimes be all about keeping them entertained. Biergarten gets my vote!

Biergarten is tied for my fave WDW restaurant. The food is fantastic, themed well, beer is huge and plentiful, and the entertainment is so fun! The entire buffet is pretty unique and tastes good.

We have a surprise trip coming up in 12 days for my son's birthday. I tossed him a hypothetical "if you could do ANYTHING in the world for your birthday, what would it be?". He said "I would be in WDW, going on RnRC and then eat at Biergarten!". Soo..his wish is my command. It really is a great place!

We have eaten at Coral Reef - urgh. And Garden Grill - decent but not unique or fantastic.

I LOVE Garden Grill. the food is great and Farmer Mickey is the cutest! The food there is different from other character meals and I appreciated that! The kids food is good as well as I have tried it.

Been to all. Don't take kids to Coral Reef if they are figidy because service can be slow. Bier Garten is fun but you sit a tables with other folks do be aware. Garden Grill is great and more personalized due to its smaller size with characters walking around. Food is better at GG too.

I'm having the same exact dilemma for our vacation, picking between those three for our Epcot day. I think we have decided on Biergarten!

We love love love the Garden Grill - yummy food and you can't beat the characters.

In my experience, without the entertainment, Biergarten is just like Costco. The only difference is it's in Epcot so Disney can charge me for the $1.50 Costco hotdogs for at least 50 times more.

I guess I'll never find out on that one. Costco is not exactly a place where I decide to have a hot dog. Then again neither is a Sam's Club, Speedway or Sheetz. :rotfl:

(but hey, that's just me).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter