• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biergarten For Non-Drinkers

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
I have wanted to try Biergarten for a while now because I love German food. We booked an ADR for early December dinner there. My family and I are all non-drinkers and I realize that beer will be served to those around us, which is no big deal, no problem with others enjoying around us.

However, what I was wondering - is Biergarten a family-friendly place to dine for non-drinkers or is it more similar to happy hour at the frat house? Since they have community seating, could I possibly be seated next to obnoxious drunkard Wilbur from Pennsyl-tucky who is on his 10th pint? Is Biergarten the wrong choice for non-drinkers to relax and enjoy a meal?

jhaig said:
I have wanted to try Biergarten for a while now because I love German food. We booked an ADR for early December dinner there. My family and I are all non-drinkers and I realize that beer will be served to those around us, which is no big deal, no problem with others enjoying around us.

However, what I was wondering - is Biergarten a family-friendly place to dine for non-drinkers or is it more similar to happy hour at the frat house? Since they have community seating, could I possibly be seated next to obnoxious drunkard Wilbur from Pennsyl-tucky who is on his 10th pint? Is Biergarten the wrong choice for non-drinkers to relax and enjoy a meal?

It's a dining establishment, not like an Oktoberfest beer garden. When people are done eating, they leave.

We have been once, Oct. '10, and had a very good time! DD was almost 5 and it was the one ADR she really wanted me to do for our upcoming trip. They have German entertainment and she really enjoyed it!!!! We sat with another family of 3 who had a DD too and a guy/girl who worked for Disney. I think the man may have ordered a beer and that was it. Definitely family-friendly!

Biergarten is a must-do for us, and I drink maybe one drink during an entire vacation. We have gone 4 out of the past 5 years and I have never seen any drunk frat party behavior. When the band plays, which is great fun, btw, there is a song (Ein Prosit) that people sing and raise their glasses to the music, but it is more of a fun thing than a drunk out of control thing. It is definitely family friendly.

We are not big drinkers. In fact, the only time I get a beer is at the Biergarten. It is a very friendly, family establishment. We go there at least once every trip. The past three times we have gone, we have had to sit with others and they have all been pleasant couples or families. Go for it! Have a great time!

We have been 3 times and are non-drinkers. Two times there we had a wonderful dinner meeting new people. One year my husband and I went by ourselves for our 25th anniversary. It was not great, but not because of alcohol. The family was not thrilled that they placed us at there table. Just be aware that some people may not want to be seated with other people. We felt as though we were intruding. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

We have been 3 times and are non-drinkers. Two times there we had a wonderful dinner meeting new people. One year my husband and I went by ourselves for our 25th anniversary. It was not great, but not because of alcohol. The family was not thrilled that they placed us at there table. Just be aware that some people may not want to be seated with other people. We felt as though we were intruding. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

That's another aspect of Biergarten I wasn't too thrilled about either. Sorry to be seated at YOUR table, but we paid with real money too. We may search elsewhere for dinner that night.

Try it for lunch. It's only $20 per adult (disney's cheapest buffet!). I haven't seen anyone intoxicated in there, but you'd be less likely to run into heavy drinking at lunch if its a concern.

That's another aspect of Biergarten I wasn't too thrilled about either. Sorry to be seated at YOUR table, but we paid with real money too. We may search elsewhere for dinner that night.

We love the food and atmosphere at Beirgarten, but we don't usually feel comfortable sitting with others for various reasons. Yep, sometimes its because you get seated with folks who seem to seethe that you are sitting at THEIR table.. If Disney would change the seating policy (maybe half communal and half for individual parties, upon request) we would be there every trip.

It's family friendly. I've never seen anyone act as if they drank too much at Biergarten.

Your table mates, whether they drink or not, are a wildcard. We ate there three times. One time we met friends and shared a table. The other two times, we lucked out with polite people who shared the table though were not interested in much small talk and that was OK with us.

Well, as a drinker, I really don't worry about sitting next to a sober Ethel from Sinless City and giving me the stink eye because I'm having a beer.

I don't drink either and I never even noticed if others were drinking around. We went at lunch but we were not impressed by the food. We wouldn't return but it did seem a family friendly place.

It's family friendly and ok, but not exciting or great enough for us to bother going back.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It's very family friendly. Our kids have been three time starting at ages 3 and 5. It's a restaurant...just like any other restaurant that has some patrons who drink alcoholic beverages and some who don't.

We have been there many times and never experienced drunks. The prices are way high for drinks so it deters from folks overdoing it. If you have several in your family, you may be at a table by yourself anyway. The food is very good, IMO. Go and enjoy, be sure to see the band before you leave.

We love the food and atmosphere at Beirgarten, but we don't usually feel comfortable sitting with others for various reasons. Yep, sometimes its because you get seated with folks who seem to seethe that you are sitting at THEIR table.. If Disney would change the seating policy (maybe half communal and half for individual parties, upon request) we would be there every trip.

But then that wouldn't go with the theme. I have been to Biergartens in Germany and the tables are communal. It's a part of the atmosphere and theme of the restaurant.

I think part of the problem is that the "communal" tables are so small, therefore, if you come as a couple you can end up at a table with just you and another group/family and it just feels like you are shoved together. If they had long tables where EVERYONE was sitting together, it wouldn't seem as forced. The only time my boyfriend and I have gone, we were seated with a table of girls having a bachelorette party (the most low-key bachelorette I have ever seen, as none of them were drinking and they were all pretty quiet). We loved the restaurant and enjoyed the food but the seating aspect made things a little awkward. The girls seemed nice enough but I don't think they liked the restaurant and they keep giving me and my boyfriend looks when we came back to the table with more plates. Most of them didn't finish their first plate and were complaining about how there was "too much food." I think I ended up having 3 plates, none of which I finished (app/salad plate, dinner plate, and desserts that my boyfriend and I shared), but yeah, my boyfriend did STUFF himself! :rotfl: I guess we horrified them. So yeah, better tablemates would have been nice.

But back to the OP's question, it's definitely fine for families. I didn't see anyone who was drunk or even drinking much at all. There is a polka band and I saw lots of kids dancing. I'm sure your family would love it.

Dined here last week and there were drunks in there, in fact they invaded the dance floor after the show and tried to instigate the birdie dance after the music had finished. It was however a Saturday during food and wine and so I suspect they had already been drinking around the world, like a lot of other people we encountered that day.

The worst part of our experience however was the food. The cold items were quite good, but the carving station had meatloaf that had the same consistency as neoprene and pork so dry you needed another beer to wash it down. The desserts and entertainment were the best part of the meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter