Bicycles on Castaway -- OK for older cruisers?

cmacf1

Mouseketeer
Hi -- my MIL and her friend (in their late 60s and mid 70s and very active and able) want to rent bikes on Castaway. The friend once rented a bike with 21 gears on a vacation and she was nervous about riding it. Are these bikes like that or are they the kind with few or no gears? The terrain is very flat, right? I want to reassure them that they'll be able to ride on Castaway and have fun:goodvibes . Thanks for any information!

No gears, just good old standard bikes. The paths are flat and paved. We really enjoyed our ride and will do it again next time.

As pp stated, it is flat and the bikes are easy to ride, but the terrain can be a bit rough since you are riding through sand in spots.

However, please advise them to stay hydrated! It can get very warm riding around the island. Take advantage of the free water stops along the way.

As pp stated, it is flat and the bikes are easy to ride, but the terrain can be a bit rough since you are riding through sand in spots.
However, please advise them to stay hydrated! It can get very warm riding around the island. Take advantage of the free water stops along the way.

Great advice! :thumbsup2

How long does it take to make a round trip? Thinking about doing this myself.

I think we did it in about 1 1/2 hours, but that was with stops along the way and at a slower pace.

If they are really ambitious, they can ride over to the observation tower and take a climb to the top! It's in the middle of the bike path that is just off the runway (not all the way down to the adult beach...the one halfway there).

We rode to the observation tower and back last Friday. It was not too bad of a trip for a 40 something, out-of-shape person. Mind you it wasn't a picnic in the park. I only had to stop for a rest once. We didn't go to the adult beach as DS was with us. It took about 1 hour.

The bikes have NO gears at all, which I wouldn't call standard, but rather "basic". They have wide tires and are more like "mountain" bikes than "road" bikes. The terrain IS very flat. If you ride a bike at home it will be no problem at all since the island is small and the trails are only a few miles in total length. If you're only an occasional rider, just take it slow and turn around if you start to get tired.

Keep in mind that it is usually terribly HOT there. I know that the heat from the temp coupled with bike riding would make me sick to my stomach.

Last year I veered off the path and into a bush.... but then I hadn't been on a bike since I was about 12 years old :rotfl2:

When we were there on Oct 12, I miscalculated where to put my foot when I stopped so I fell and skinned my knee and my shoulder and got a softballed sized bruise on my thigh. You'd think, at 59, I'd know better but I don't think my balance is what it used to be.

These are "old-fashioned" bikes - single speed with mountain bike tires and old fashioned pedal brakes like I had when I was a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter