Bicycle safety and awareness

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
My PSA: When riding a bicycle (in the road) please wear a helmet, reflective gear on your person & bicycle and please be aware of your surroundings as well as all cars around you. As a motorist, please please please be aware of bicyclists.

Our friends 30 year old son was killed in a vehicular bicycle accident. This young man did everything correct but a distracted driver plowed right into him. We were at the celebration of life yesterday and this is one of the families messages. The other one is consider being an organ donor. This young man was an organ donor and whatever was able to be harvested was.

How sad. We hear about deadly bicycle accidents too often; my DD in SF rides a bike a lot and I worry about her. She has had a few close calls - a car crossed right in front of her (in the bike lane) to park, she actually hit the back of the woman's car and the woman blamed her? I think she did get her to pay for the bike repairs. People often don't think to check if a bike is passing before opening their driver's side door.

It’s very frightening. My son grew up with this young man and his 2 brothers. My son does not want to ride on main roads for awhile. My son shaken up by this and has a baby on the way, this hit too close for comfort.
Per the police report, no fault to the bicyclist, an investigation is underway. Per the police report, the driver was distracted.

How sad. We hear about deadly bicycle accidents too often; my DD in SF rides a bike a lot and I worry about her. She has had a few close calls - a car crossed right in front of her (in the bike lane) to park, she actually hit the back of the woman's car and the woman blamed her? I think she did get her to pay for the bike repairs. People often don't think to check if a bike is passing before opening their driver's side door.

It is something I always look out for. There is something called the Dutch Reach that helps spot bikes before you "door" them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter