Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or 'Ho'tique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is exactly is sexualizing the little girl here? The mother letting her daughter play dress up or the person calling the little girl a *****?
The person calling a little girl a ***** is definitely the one sexualizing them.

I really don't get the objection to the BBB. I don't see it as any different than girls playing with Mommy's makeup and prancing around in her heels, as little girls have been doing since forever. It isn't about growing up too fast - what grown up wears pixie dust in her hair? It is just little girl fantasy in a fantasic place. And there's nothing at all sexual about this:
2675538710051332420S500x500Q85.jpg

It is sad that we're so conditioned to fret about predators that we cannot just let our little girls enjoy playing dress up in the most magical place in the world!
Colleen your daughter is beautiful. And I agree with you 100%.

I don't like how the children look who have come from BBB. Therefore I won't be paying to have my child look the same. We do her hair at the condo before we leave and she looks super pretty and more like the "real" princesses. I know she'd probably love the experience and defitely love the attention but I will not let her do it. My kid, my choice.

You are absolutely right. No one should force you to sit your child down at BBB and make you pay for glitter in her hair and makeup. You have every right to make those choices for your child. But no one is suggesting this MUST be done. Disney is giving some parents the ability (for a LOT of money) to give their daughters a "Libby Lu" style makeover. Since they are normally sold out for these things, it seems to be a choice a lot of parents DO make - and says nothing about the sexuality of the child in question or about the parents.

you know I had a million things to say to respond to this point and deleted them all. To imply that a child is a "ho" because they want to dress up like a princess & their parents indulge them in this, is really over the top. re-read what you wrote, especially your last post & see if you really don't think that you offended quite a few people with it. While I agree that forums are a good way to get alternate views on different subjects, "attacking" in a derogatory manner is not a way in which to voice your opinion. This is my opinion. Sorry if you don't agree with & I am sure you won't.

to be honest - I find the title offensive in itself.

I choose to think that Disney is an innocent and magical place, and therefore little girls should be able to dress up and play with some makeup while there.:confused3

My girls are FAR from "ho's" (btw, that term is really offensive describing little girls)...in fact, our standards for modesty are far stricter than even fellow church members'....BUT when we are at Disney, you can bet your sweet bippy we WILL be going to the Bibbity Bobbity, and Mommy is going to be glittered right beside my Princesses! Period. It's for fun. F.U.N. Perhaps the OP needs a refresher course on the subject??:rolleyes1

To the OP- I understand that the BBB may not be your or your child's cup of tea but I think the word "ho" is a little extreme. You remind me of the mother who came up to us on the bus to AK the next day to sneer at my dd's hair (which I had re-done from the night before). We didn't take it personally as she got TONS of compliments that day, including from Mickey and Minnie!;)

Except the OP is the Father.....

It's dress up in a public place - there are things I'd let my kids do at home (like mix all the finger paint and paint themselves brown from head to toe) but I wouldn't take them out in public afterwards. After dance recitals, I wouldn't take them out to eat in a restaurant with the stage make-up and dance costumes still on either.

Actually stage make-up doesn't have to be bright and obvious to be done well. Well done stage make-up is subtle - you can always tell at the competitions and recitals the dancers who haven't had much experience with lighting and make-up. They look like clowns on stage.

Stage makeup does need to be applied much more heavily than street makeup. I have been doing it for the better part of 30 years. If not the floodlights completely wash you out. We do tone it down for competition based on lighting. I do NOT think that putting stage makeup on my 4 year old for a dance recital or allowing her to play dress up (gasp) in PUBLIC means she looks like what the op is suggesting. I refuse to even type that word. It is absolutely not acceptable to insinuate that about ANYBODY's little girl!

We all agree, no one should call anyone a prostitute, especially not a child but I don't think you are following my point - that is often what these girls look like!

Definately! Take her to a Princess breakfast or lunch instead.

I thought the "Ho'tique" was pretty ingenious, and the Hannah Montana brain-wash is ridiculous. I was sure that Disney would drop her after her nearly nude pictures printed a few months back but $$$ talks!

We asked about the Barber Shop when we didn't like what was coming out of the BBB and the BBB receptionist told us they would only cut hair, not do any styling. Another point against the BBB!

Your daughter is on her way to being a fine, upstanding woman!

It is hard to argue with the "Different strokes for different folks" strategy but expressing ones own "strokes" is what these forums are for. It is necessary for members of society to speak out when they see a wrong being done, especially when the victims are children. You may feel that the BBB participants are far from victims, but the innocense of children has fallen victim to the slippery slope of what is acceptable at what age and the BBB is a drop of oil on that slope.

Settle down. Again, no one has called a child any names. It is Disney for Pete's sake! (No one would call my little girl anything like that because I don't dress her like one!)

No, what they won't want to do is wear the ankle length dress and walk around MK with us! Instead it will be bikini tops and shorts that don't hide anything, and a boy she just met who is only interested in one thing and believes he is halfway to it because of how she looks. Her make-up and hair will look exactly like what comes out of the BBB.

Good point. You would think Disney could get someone with some talent who could make these little girls look like Cindrella or Snow White, etc. I would pay any price for that.
You are on a slippery slope youself. You are making unacceptable generalizations about peoples parenting choices. That never ends well. what somone else chooses to allow their clid to do is none of my business as long as the child is not being injured, and to say that someone else's child looks like something that awful is not ok. No matter how much you would like to think it is so, no little girl is being victimized by having her hair and makeup done. It does not sexualize them, and most psychologists consider role play an important developmental stage. What you are doing is passing judgment. saying things like "I would never dress my daughter that way" implies that you are a better parent. agian not ok. How exactly is being dressed in a princess gown being dressed like a ho? I have never seen a streetwalker is a cinderella dress. Putting a little makeup and a pretty dress on is not making a child look like a ho.
I really don't get the objection to the BBB. I don't see it as any different than girls playing with Mommy's makeup and prancing around in her heels, as little girls have been doing since forever. It isn't about growing up too fast - what grown up wears pixie dust in her hair? It is just little girl fantasy in a fantasic place. And there's nothing at all sexual about this:
2675538710051332420S500x500Q85.jpg

It is sad that we're so conditioned to fret about predators that we cannot just let our little girls enjoy playing dress up in the most magical place in the world!

What a beautiful child! I am with you I just don't understand how anyone could be so ugly about someone else's child. No child deserves that.

I am totally shocked! :eek: I thought my baby looked precious and innocent. Now, I am wondering who thought of such about my baby--an innocent child!

We are a very conservative church going family. We do not agree with the other hairstyles nor do we agree with the Jasmine outfit but I would NEVER say that to another person. I assumed most families, who went to DW, were like us; trying to give a little magic to our daughters not calling them names behind our backs.

OP, I do commend you on one thing. Most men don't care what their little girls look like. I hope and pray you continue the conservativeness throughout your daughters teen years.

I too think the make-up and hair-do is *way* overdone. I heard of BBB before I went to WDW, and I thought it might be fun for DD to do. She's a tomboy, but she does like to put on nail polish and have her hair done. However, when I saw a little girl come out of the boutique I knew it was *not* for us. To put it politely, it's just NMS.

BTW, I'm as liberal as they come and I'm a bit appalled by the looks that the BBB produces.

ITA. I would never allow my DD to go to BBB. I see no reason for little girls to walk around in public in glitter, makeup, hair extensions...etc. To each their own.

I totally agree 100% with livie and the disney bunch. I absolutely can not imagine in my wildest dreams thinking something like that about a little girl playing dressup at Disney. I'll be honest, if the OP and others can say things like that about little girls and this thread remain open then I guess it will be ok for me to say what I think about the people who say and even think things like that. THEY need help, and they're right they should definately keep their money and not spend it at BBB and should go as straight as they can and spend it on a good (and I mean a GOOD) therepist because they've got to have big issues. Personally if you want to know my opinion, people like that dont even need to be at WDW.

I have seen the little girls that come out of BBB and they all are so happy and beautiful and walking on cloud 9. I always try to tell them how sweet they look, it makes them even happier that they are getting the attention. Kids having fun and being happy at the most magical place on earth is what its all about. Growing up too fast? since when did playing dress up become a grown up thing to do? I must've missed that memo.

Gosh, this thread just burns me up. Anybody missing their corncobs? Cause I think I know where they are.:mad:

:(

Okay, this thread is making me sad. I'm planning on taking DD to BBB on her third birthday. I know she'll love the attention and I really have no problem with any of the hairstyles, though she'll probably get the bun. I would take her on our next trip, but she'll still be 2 then.

I had no idea that people thought children with glitter in their hair and sparkly makeup on their faces looked like "ho's". I never even imagined. I may still do it, but the thought that someone could be looking at my little girl and thinking she looks slutty in her princess costume and glittery hair makes me want to cry.

:(

Okay, this thread is making me sad. I'm planning on taking DD to BBB on her third birthday. I know she'll love the attention and I really have no problem with any of the hairstyles, though she'll probably get the bun. I would take her on our next trip, but she'll still be 2 then.

I had no idea that people thought children with glitter in their hair and sparkly makeup on their faces looked like "ho's". I never even imagined. I may still do it, but the thought that someone could be looking at my little girl and thinking she looks slutty in her princess costume and glittery hair makes me want to cry.

I say take your little girl. She will love it and I hope some of the opinions expressed here are the minority. She is only 3 and will love it and I'm sure yourself and the rest of your family will love how beautiful she looks and also how much fun she has getting it done. I would ignore all the horrible comments, these people must have some pretty messed up minds if they see something at all sexual in little girls playing at dressing up

My cousin and I were planning to take the girls to BBB on our trip next fall (they will be 5, 4 and 2) while the boys (9, 8, 5) go in a Pirate Cruise. Now, I just don't know. My dd4 has always been a princess. When you ask her her name, she is Arika L__ Princess H__. She has dressed as a princess for Halloween every year (although I'm trying to convince her to be something else this year - and it's not going over so well). Maybe we can just buy the girls some dresses and tiara's and do their own hair. I would hate to think someone think's my little Princess looks like something on the street corner.

On a side note, our last trip was just before dd turned 3. We were at DTD and a little girl (age 5-6) was playing on the Lego playground. She had just obvsiouly just left BBB. I personally thought the little girl had on way too much make-up. I have a picture of my dd going up the steps with this little girl right in front of her. I called for Arika to turn for a picture but she was too engrosed looking at this other child. The picture I have is this girl looking at my dd and Arika is looking at her with a strange look on her face as if to say "what happened to you". I would post the picture but since it's not my child, I won't.

Playing dress up is fine - experimenting with mommy's make-up in the privacy of your own home is fine, but to parade a young girl down Main Street with ratty hair extensions, and over done blush and nasty blue eyeshadow is different. As I stated before, from the newer BBB photos on this board, it looks like they've toned down the make-up application (which is what most of us have been saying makes the girls look tacky, or worse) and the bun hairdo is quite pretty.

But think about what some other posters have been saying - the make-up and costumes get them ATTENTION - and so these little girls are being taught that putting all this stuff on makes them much more worthy of ATTENTION. It's not about being nice, and polite, and friendly, etc, it's about how you look that gets you ATTENTION.

We did our research and we knew what was available for packages and we also knew that none of them were what we wanted for our daughters. We were doing some shopping at DTD and thought "hey, maybe they could skip all that other garbage and just comb and curl her hair to look more like the princess she was dressing as for the MNSSHP that night." We never considered that the FGMIT would not be trained hair dressers and have the capabiity of doing so. (No where does Disney state "FGMIT not actual hair stylists" in their advertising!) So we said no thank you and walked away, not upset at all but more amused by the situation.
It is obvious from the posts above that many people feel strongly about the BBB, some thinking it is wonderful and others believe it is inappropriate. I would think that Disney would make some changes to prevent upsetting those of us who are anti-BBB, and perhaps they have by down playing some of the make-up on the little girls. I don't beleive there is a right or wrong to this issue and no one should be offended by another speaking his or her mind.:hug:

While I believe you are entitled to your opinion, what I think a good amount of people, including myself, object to is you calling little girls "ho's" and you cannot deny that - read the title of this thread. That is what I object to - you don't like BBB for the money aspect, the make-up, what your reason, that is fine but do not sexualize a 3 year old girl who has no clue what you are talking about & is just thrilled that she is "dressed" up. I have yet to see a child come out of the BBB saying that she feels like a "ho".

And why should Disney tonedown any of the BBB - the people going there are paying for that service - those who don't like it, don't go - so why should they appease those who are NOT going or paying for the service.

Meg, if you want to take your daughter and do this please go ahead and do it and have a ball and you and your daughter make some beautiful memories together. Please dont let a few people with screwed up ideas ruin it for you and dont worry what (im sure VERY few) people are thinking.
I will be taking my daughter when she is old enough and I can assure you that I wont even be thinking about what was said on here. I'll be focused on how much fun me and my daughter are having together.

Playing dress up is fine - experimenting with mommy's make-up in the privacy of your own home is fine, but to parade a young girl down Main Street with ratty hair extensions, and over done blush and nasty blue eyeshadow is different. As I stated before, from the newer BBB photos on this board, it looks like they've toned down the make-up application (which is what most of us have been saying makes the girls look tacky, or worse) and the bun hairdo is quite pretty.

But think about what some other posters have been saying - the make-up and costumes get them ATTENTION - and so these little girls are being taught that putting all this stuff on makes them much more worthy of ATTENTION. It's not about being nice, and polite, and friendly, etc, it's about how you look that gets you ATTENTION.

You are right...Maybe you should cover them completely when they are out in public so only their face will show..We wouldn't want anyone objectiving a 3 year old girl would you. Oh wait thats not our country.....:rotfl:

Issues abound.....:rolleyes1

Wow!! I am in complete shock sitting here! We had a wonderful experience at the BBB last year, and my daughter felt like an absolute princess. For those of you doubting your upcoming trip to the BBB...DON'T!!! It is not only a magical experience for your child, it is so magical for you to see the beautiful smile on your child's face!!!

Here is a pic of my DD after her trip to the BBB...she had a GREAT time and she looked and felt beautiful!!

image219.jpg

UMMM, no! What parent is going to tell thier kid that??? Most 3-5 year olds are not capable of making that cognative leap alone unless someone plants that seed in thier head. Sure, if they dressed up like that everyday they may come to associate it with the attention they recieve, but it is not that different from my child walking down the street in a pretty sundress and having 4-5 people compliment her on it. It happens all the time and she doesn't think that the dress makes her pretty, so is just proud of the clothes her mommy made for her. My child has wonderful self asteem and is much more proud of her schoolwork than her appearence. This argument just doesn't hold water with me. It is the underlying parenting, not one trip to the BBB that teaches girls that they must be pretty to get attention.

If one day of attention from people telling my DD she looks like a princess makes her believe that she must look that way ALL the time to be appreciated as a person, then I am failing her as a parent. That's not about the BBB - that's about guidance, IMHO.

ETA: Princessmom - we must have been posting at the same time!

I haven't read all of the replies but I don't have such a conservative view (my boys have mohawks and my daughter wears a bikini) but my DD had the bun done and we loved it. It made her look even more so like a little baby again. She is 3, but tiny for her age. I don't particularly like the other hairstyles (I think they look kinda cheap with the multi colors - look really fake LOL). I mean, if you don't like the styles, don't go for it. I personally would be shocked and terrified if the ladies at BBB took out a curling iron for my dd's hair. They have no training to do such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter