Bi-racial Hair Care

for those using the frizz ease be careful and give the hair some down time. My sister really messed her up by using too much of those products.

You can also take him to a black barbershop and see if they have any tricks. Or just come out and ask those other moms, we are all moms, and if they look at you crazy then at least you know right off the bat to leave them alone :rotfl:

This site might help you some too. I have used it in the past for my hair. And remember his hair will change about every 7 years.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/tools2/

OK. I am going to hijack the thread, but it will still be on topic (I think). About hairdressers. I cannot take my DD14 to the hairdressers around here. Not to sound racist, but almost all of them are Asian and have apparently never dealt with curly hair. :confused3 My DD has gotten some awful cuts. I found one lady who does a good job, but she is in a posh salon and charges over $100. I found another lady 40 minutes away (with no traffic) and she does a good job, BUT she is moving out of state. Will an African-American salon be able to deal with DD's hair better (and more importantly, cheaper-this is the budget board)? I have lived here 5 years and have not been able to find anything. The African American salons are my next option.

They might be able to do a good job. You just have to find someone that has or has someone they know with curly hair. Some people know curly hair and others want to layer and give you Rosanna Dananna hair.

I left one time and they fixed my hair and straightened it was cute,I went home washed it and I had curly earmuff. I cried and made her fix it. My sister's hair is way curlier than mine and she ended up going super short.

OK. I am going to hijack the thread, but it will still be on topic (I think). About hairdressers. I cannot take my DD14 to the hairdressers around here. Not to sound racist, but almost all of them are Asian and have apparently never dealt with curly hair. :confused3 My DD has gotten some awful cuts. I found one lady who does a good job, but she is in a posh salon and charges over $100. I found another lady 40 minutes away (with no traffic) and she does a good job, BUT she is moving out of state. Will an African-American salon be able to deal with DD's hair better (and more importantly, cheaper-this is the budget board)? I have lived here 5 years and have not been able to find anything. The African American salons are my next option.

I don't think your question sounds racist at all.

Are there any Dominican shops near you? The shops around here tend to do a great job with all hair types. I started going to Dominican shops for everything except braids about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't go to a black shop unless you know they have experience working with your daughter's hair type. Also make sure they use products that are designed for her hair type.

Are there any Dominican shops near you? The shops around here tend to do a great job with all hair types. I started going to Dominican shops for everything except braids about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't go to a black shop unless you know they have experience working with your daughter's hair type. Also make sure they use products that are designed for her hair type.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good Dominican hairdresser. My daughter has very curly hair and I have yet to find someone who can give her a good cut. Someone told me to take her to a Dominican hairdresser. I wouldn't be adverse to going into Brooklyn. I was thinking of going into that very expensive place in the city (can't think of the name), but to spend a fortune on a 6 year olds hair, I'm having a hard time justifying it.

I live in Lilly White Land. ;) Seriously though, I don't know any Dominicans around here. DD's black friends all have their hair ironed and straightened and I don't like the way it looks. Of course they all think DD should get her hair relaxed (over my dead body). I never had these issues in NY. We had a great and cheap stylist in Brooklyn.

You could also try KeraCare. DD (2) has loose curly corkscrew hair and it really keeps it moisturized. KeraCare is moisturizing but not oily, which I really like. I usually wash her hair once a 1-2X a week. Sometimes I'll just run the conditioner through her hair while she's taking abath but not use shampoo. I'm going to have to try the frizz ease for the frizzies though. I still couldn't get rid of frizzies.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good Dominican hairdresser. My daughter has very curly hair and I have yet to find someone who can give her a good cut. Someone told me to take her to a Dominican hairdresser. I wouldn't be adverse to going into Brooklyn. I was thinking of going into that very expensive place in the city (can't think of the name), but to spend a fortune on a 6 year olds hair, I'm having a hard time justifying it.

There are Dominican shops all over Brooklyn. Sometimes 2-3 in the same block.

I don't know of any that don't take walk ins and many are open 7 days a week.

Unless you know someone who is familiar with the shop, I'd take someone who speaks Spanish me. Most of the women in the shop I go to(including the owner) barely speak English.

We have plenty of Dominican places around here too, but I'm afraid to just try one without knowing if the hairstylist is any good. She has had some really bad cuts:sad2: . I'll just have to hit the streets and start asking people who cuts their curly hair. Either that or go with my brothers idea of letting her have dreads.

I was going to recommend a shop where the operators are from the Dominican Republic. :thumbsup2 They really do a great job on straightening curly hair. They just blow dry hair better than anyone else around here. A shop that caters to African American styles would suit you better when looking for cuts because they are used to cutting curly hair but the Dominican owned shops will help you keep the style straight and smooth if that's what you want. If your daughter wants her hair constantly straight, a mild chemical relaxer may be the way to go (not sure I understand if the "over my dead body" was because of fear of hair damage or because you like your daughters hair the way it is:confused3 ) You can use a texturizer if you just want the curls to behave and calm down a bit but prefer not to have a straight relaxer.

As other posters recommended, the Pantene for Women of Color has worked wonders on my daughters hair, use both the shampoo & the conditioner, the conditioner gives it the smooth silkyness without being oily. We were using Nexxus products but a coworker recommended the Pantene (which I use myself, the full & thick) and we have not gone to any other product, even the salon stuff doesnt work as well.

Thankfully my daughters hair has not changed at all since she has grown up (to all of her 14 years). She is also bi-racial and people kept telling me it would change but it has not. I have super straight fine hair & the mixture must have been just right as her curls are perfect curls that people paid big money for (remember spirial perms?) She washes & conditions her hair about once a week or week & 1/2 and wets it down every other day or so and puts a light gel in it & scrunches. Its not hard and crunchy afterwards, it just keeps the frizzies off here in the FL humidity.

And to the poster trying to find a salon, besides Dominican, I was also recommended to take my daughter to a Hispanic stylist (by someone Hispanic, Panamanian to be exact, the family my sister married into is from Panama) as they tend to be used to dealing with "mixed" typed of hair, full thick and mixture of curly/wavy. So try for a Puerto Rician or Panamanian stylist.

And to the poster trying to find a salon, besides Dominican, I was also recommended to take my daughter to a Hispanic stylist (by someone Hispanic, Panamanian to be exact, the family my sister married into is from Panama) as they tend to be used to dealing with "mixed" typed of hair, full thick and mixture of curly/wavy. So try for a Puerto Rician or Panamanian stylist.

Dominicans are Hispanic.:confused3

Dominicans are Hispanic.:confused3

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have just said Puerto Rician or Panamanian, thank you for correcting me :rolleyes: . The Dominicans I know have coarser, curly, Black type hair. The Puerto Rician and Panamanians I know have the mixture thick wavy to curly (not tight) hair.

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have just said Puerto Rician or Panamanian, thank you for correcting me. However, the Dominicans I know have curly, Black type hair. The Puerto Rician and Panamanians I know have the mixture thick curly/wavy hair.

This is what kept me from going to Dominican shops for so long. After I started teaching in my center (many of my students and coworkers are Dominican) I realized that many of them have the same type of hair that I do.:confused3

If any of you have recommendations on those salons in the Baltimore MD or northern VA area, Brooklyn or Forest Hills/or anywhere else in Queens, or anywhere on Long Island, please feel free to share.

I am having a really difficult time finding someone in my area to cut my hair right. My dh works in Baltimore and also used to work in Bethpage. I visit him often and I would make a special trip more north if I have to. lol

If your daughter wants her hair constantly straight, a mild chemical relaxer may be the way to go (not sure I understand if the "over my dead body" was because of fear of hair damage or because you like your daughters hair the way it is:confused3 )

I don't like the way relaxed hair looks. My daughter has gorgeous corkscrew curls that just need the right cut. I have fixed the Frizz problem as I said in a PP.

Also, my grandmother used to relax her hair (same curls as my daughter) and it really damaged her hair. Now I know that relaxers have gotten better, but I am not taking chances.

I don't like the way relaxed hair looks. My daughter has gorgeous corkscrew curls that just need the right cut. I have fixed the Frizz problem as I said in a PP.

Also, my grandmother used to relax her hair (same curls as my daughter) and it really damaged her hair. Now I know that relaxers have gotten better, but I am not taking chances.

That's how my daughter's hair is, like a spring, but long (down to her rearend). I have very thick hair that is wavy/loose curls. It tends to be dry and frizzy. It is so hard to find someone who knows how to cut curly hair.

That's how my daughter's hair is, like a spring, but long (down to her rearend). I have very thick hair that is wavy/loose curls. It tends to be dry and frizzy. It is so hard to find someone who knows how to cut curly hair.

My DD's hair is also long. It is down to her rear when wet, but only to the middle of her back when dry (that's how curly it is). I think she currently has about 2 inches of broken hair at the ends that need a cut.

A PP posted a website that has curly hair salon recommendations. There is one near me in Bethesda. I have to call and find out the prices. There are also some listed in Baltimore for the poster who asked.

Hi all,
I have very tight corkscrew curls (caucasian) and have tried the Ouidad line with good results. Would love to travel to NY to get a carve and slice cut!!! One of the girls I work with had one and said her hair has never looked better.

Don't know if this would help but there is alot of good information on her web-site and she is called the "Queen of Curls". Salon specializes in curly hair.
She is a big fan of curly hair!!!! There is also a kids line and you can order a free brochure.

Hope this helps!! Only people with crazy curly hair truly understand how hard it is to control, even though I love my curls and consider them a part of who I am!!

www.ouidad.com :grouphug:

I mentioned the relaxer only if she wanted it consistantly straight, not because I thought she needed to "change" her hair which is, no doubt, beautiful as is all hair, even chemically relaxed hair when done correctly. :) . Lovin' the hair we're blessed with is what we all face, no matter what it looks like. :grouphug: I find a lot of people with straight hair want curly hair and a lot of people with curly hair want it straight. I love that song by India I. called "I am not my hair" :thumbsup2.

I use to live in Gaithersburg and in Reston and know quite a few shops. I can PM you and share the information with you. I'll call them and see who they recommend. The dead ends are the hardest part of curly hair and and good cut, as you know, is essential.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter