Beware SWW...Flameless Version

CVW

DIS Veteran
We've been at WDW this week, and started it with SWW last Sunday. We've spent a great deal of times in the parks over the years, and I'd have to say this was the biggest disappointment of any event I've attended at WDW.

The crowds were so thick it was difficult to tell where the audience for one show ended, and the line for a character began. My kids only tried to do one thing (meet Kenny Baker) and gave up, because the lines were prohibitive. By that time, the other character lines had swelled even more.

The parade was enjoyable, although not themed out with any large floats with set designs like the normal Disney parades. (Which is understandable, considering they're only going to put it on a few times a year.) But by the time the parade was over, the entire morning was shot.

Overall crowds this week have been heavy, but we've managed fine everywhere else (including the rest of MGM), but SWW is overhyped, and brings in many people with unrealistic expectations. (Our expectations were realistic--meet a celebrity and a couple of characters--and still weren't met. Yes, others may have played it smarter, but I know this was the sentiment of most of the crowd we were near.)

Here's my suggestion for deciding if you should we go to SWW: simply ask yourself, "How interested am I?"

If your answer is "OH, WE GOTTA GO! IT'S STAR WARS!" Then by all means go. But arrive very early and be prepared for crowds.

If you're thinking, "SOUNDS INTERESTING, I'D KIND OF LIKE TO CHECK IT OUT" then DON'T GO. You'll be happier on other attractions.

We're not real hard-core Star Wars geeks by any means but we had fun both times we went. We weren't there for autographs so no standing in line for us. We loved the parade! We got a spot about ten minutes before it started and got some great pictures. We got a big kick out of seeing the "real" SW fans who dress for the occasion! Jedi Mickey was cute, although I prefer Sorcerer Mickey. All in all, it was fun. I honestly didn't see it as being much different than any other day at MGM except for the Star Tours/Tattooine area.
We plan to try it again next June.

We were there for the first weekend and I must say that Disney has done better for other events. We were disappointed in how SWW was run. We probably won't go back and we are big SW fans.

We were told this was the last year for SWW...my son is a huge fan and we left June 1- ONE day before SWW started this year!! We went 2 years ago though and it was very crowded!! Glad he got to do it once though.

Christine

The crowds were so thick it was difficult to tell where the audience for one show ended, and the line for a character began. My kids only tried to do one thing (meet Kenny Baker) and gave up, because the lines were prohibitive. By that time, the other character lines had swelled even more.

I guess everyones definition of "how long is too long" varies quite a bit.

While we didn't make it this year (we travel in May) due to the schedule change, we have been the past 2 years.

I totally agree that if you have any "must do's" you shoud plan accordingly & be prepared to wait in line.

In our experience, character meet & greet lines were anywhere from 30 - 60 mins AND it's totally possible that characters will switch while you are in line. As an example, after waiting about 45 mins in line for "Big Anakin", the attendant informed everyone that "Master Yoda has requested a conference with Anakin but Master Windu will be coming to meet with you". We were next in line. We did not freak out & the attendant could not have thanked us enough for our understanding.

Yes, expectations are everything. You really need to go in with the right attitude & a little extra paitence.

We were sorry we missed it this year.

Did you go to MGM on non-SWW days? How were the crowds then? I'm leaving in 3 days and MGM is our first park (Tuesday)

Thank you for starting a Flame-Free Thread!

I started a thread about our experiences as well - along with some tips that I wish I knew before last weekend. (It's in my sig!)

I could definitely see that if you are not hard-core, this may not be the Event for you. My biggest tip is to Start Early - and leave early! (Like right after the Parade!) I do agree that Disney had issues with this past SWW. Hopefully, those issues will be better solved these next few weekends!

I was at SWW in May of 2004 and it really wasn't that bad. I'm wondering if changing the dates to June this year has had a really bad effect on the crowds. May is normally alot less crowded then June and adding SWW to June may have pushed the crowds over the top.

I was at SWW in May of 2004 and it really wasn't that bad. I'm wondering if changing the dates to June this year has had a really bad effect on the crowds. May is normally alot less crowded then June and adding SWW to June may have pushed the crowds over the top.

It is possible - June tends to be a little busier, and the 1st weekend also coincided with the Gay Days weekend, so I'd guess that had an effect on crowds as well.

But Sunday wasn't terribly bad to me. Of course, there is so much to do at SWW - and much of what we wanted to do wasn't hard at all (the question and answer session, parade, the film being shown, etc.) I didn't try to see Jedi Mickey, so I have no idea how long that line would be. I think someone said that Friday was EMH at MGM, so that would also make a difference if that was the case.

The merchandise line looked way too long - it'd be nice if they could have done a fastpass for that. And I personally think they should have a different system for autographs, but I'm not sure how you could even perfect that. There are just so many autographs to be had, and a lot more guests who would want them. It really leaves the average park goer out, who might not have realized SWW was even going on.

I'm wondering if changing the dates to June this year has had a really bad effect on the crowds.
I don't know if that's the case. My wife and I did a 2nd Honeymoon at WDW in June of 2003 and caught the last of the SSWs when were there. I don't recall seeing any of the celebs there that time, but the crowds for the Jedi academy and characters weren't any larger than any other stage show or Disney characters we saw.

We've been at WDW this week, and started it with SWW last Sunday. We've spent a great deal of times in the parks over the years, and I'd have to say this was the biggest disappointment of any event I've attended at WDW.

Sorry you had a tough time.:flower3: I totally agree with your POV. Hopefully Disney has realized the issues with the crowd control and bad organization and will try to do better next year. Maybe pushing it all into June was a mistake. Having it in May could be a better way to lighten the demand. Or maybe extending it a few more weeks would help.

I think that's very possible. We have some friends who are taking their boys down for SWW because this is the first year it has been after school lets out (today is the last day here). I'm sure they aren't the only ones who were unwilling to take their jr high & high school aged SW fans out of school for a trip during the weeks just before finals, but are happy to go now that there isn't that conflict.

we were at MGM at the end of the day on Saturday, I didnt SEE crowds that were bad, until we went to go back to our hotel, POP, The line was LITERALLY 200 people long and went all the way back to the turnstyles.

We loled. And jumped on the 1st available bus that wasnt crowded, and then got on a bus to Downtown Disney, and then back to Pop. Oi. it sucked

That is very possible. I went last year, and it didn't seem nearly as bad as this year.

If I avoid this like the plague... will the crowds be psycho inthe middle of the week? :cool1:

We went this week both during SWW and during the week. It's very crowded, but very very manageable if you have a touring plan. We did everything a few times because we had a good plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter