Beware of Airtran and the airline check-in desk!

Diznut84

SoCal
Just returned from WDW and want to warn those who are travelling soon about the difficulties that AirTran is having with airline resort check-in at WDW. Due to very slow AirTran computer connections, it is taking 10-20 minutes for the airline desk at the resort to produce the boarding passes and luggage tags. It was causing massive frustration both Wednesday (when my wife returned) and today (when I returned).

My recommendation: Show up with your luggage earlier in the morning on a separate trip from catching Magical Express. That will give the airline check-in desk an opportunity to let the AirTran computers do their thing. You can then return 15-30 minutes later to make sure everything is ready. Then come back later when your Magical Express is scheduled.

I hope this helps someone! :)

I'm not the OP, but we just returned from BC on June 12 and used resort check-in for Airtran. It was very slick and convenient, but DH said that it did take quite a while to print my boarding pass, while it only took seconds to print his pass and our kids' passes. We weren't in a hurry so it was no bother to us. DH went down there very early to drop off our luggage, get our boarding passes, and grab some breakfast for us and he was still back up in our room in plenty of time to eat and catch our airport shuttle.

We used it from the CR on 4/12 and it didn't seem to take long, we had 3 bags and 4 boarding passes. I did notice that the man in front of us, was trying to check in his whole family and they needed to see all of the adults in the party to check ID. He had to call up to the room to have his wife come down.

So plan on the adults being there when you "check in"

We were at the Beach Club. The same thing happened to at least 10 different families on three different days.

Just to be sure-- we are talking about the RESORT check in (luggage also) and NOT checking in at all with Airtran baggage/tickets at the airport?
Just back from OKW (in May) and that very week was when Airtran had first decided to participate in the plan where you actually drop off your luggage at the Resort. THey then take it to the airport and --hopefully-get it to the right airline and on the right plane:goodvibes This would have allowed us to skip any sort of check in at the Airtran terminal at the airport, and just head right for the Security part.
I say would have--but when I talked to the folks actually doing this at OKW, none of them could assure me that my luggage would actually make it to the airport on time--or get on the right plane. "Mistakes happen all the time" she said. Pretty sad, and we of course opted to put our stuff in the car and do it the old fashioned way. We did get our Boarding Pass printed out tho--that helped a little when we got to the airport.
I guess this process works for the other airlines, and maybe someday for Airtran too. But it just looked to me like too many things could go wrong..
Plus--they "opened" at 5:00 Am and said to allow "at least" 3 hours for the luggage to find it's way to the airport. But if we had a early flight (say 7:30 or so) sounds as tho we couldn't even use the service--
Sorry for this rambling--I'd like to try this out next trip and avoid any Airtran check-in at the airport--but I'm just not sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter