Beware Jewelery Shopping in Cozumel!

Favorite Auntie

<font color=red>8 Disney nieces & nephews!<br><fon
Beware Jewelry shopping in Cozumel!!!

While on the Disney Cruise Last October my parents stopped in Cozumel and my father purchased two 1/2 carat tanzanite round stones from a store called "Arte Joyero De Cozumel" (that was stamped on the receipt dated 10/30/02) When they returned home my father wanted to set the stones on each side of my mother's diamond and have them appraised. When he brought them to be appraised we were told they were FAKE - and he paid $450 for the two stones. I called DCL and because this was not a DCL approved retailer there is nothing they can do, but they did give us the number to Cozumel Tourism (800-44MEXICO) and that number directs you to their website www.visitmexico.com. I tried to send an e-mail through that website and it kept getting returned. Now we are stuck with 2 beautiful but worthless pieces of glass! WARNING - DO NOT SHOP AT ARTE JOYERO DE COZUMEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF!!!

This is why, if you are buying anything expensive, it is better to shop at the "approved stores".

Since you can't get thru via email, have you tried calling? Does the receipt from the jewelry store have a phone number?

Sorry for your problems.

sue

I know....it was my father and he does not think of these things. Had he used a credit card we would be covered too, but since he paid cash I am afraid there is not going to be a lot that can be done. I have not tried to call the store, I am sure they will claim "no speaka the ingles!"

Lesson Learned. I just didn't want anyone else to make the same mistake.:mad:

Did he get a written appraisel when he purchased them? He might be able to do something with his insurance company if he did. I have bought a great deal of expensive jewelry on our trips but I always shop at approved merchants (like diamonds international) and get a written appraisel with a gaurentee that it will appraise for higher at home. The at home appraisels so far have come in always about double what we paid.. what a shame
:(

Nope, no written appraisal. He was by himself and he is use to shopping at the jewelers buildings in Boston and such, it never dawned on him that he could be taken. I feel bad because he feels stupid - and now he will never buy jewelry on the islands again. Live and learn....

I have sent you a private email regarding this situation. It's possible that I can help. Please respond as soon as possible.

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter