• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BEWARE! If you are driving through Atlanta to get to Disney!

If I am taking 75 South, I know ya'll recommend to take 285 around-- BUT which way is faster? East or West?

THANKS!!

The roads are paved. You can expect significant delays if you choose to attempt to drive through downtown as we funnel several lanes of traffic to one or two

This weekend they are working on north lanes. Does that mean there is no funneling down of the southbound lanes??

When i drive through it will be sunday July 20 at about 7:30am. I plan on using the HOV lane. There shouldn't be much back -up at that tiime.

We drove thru Hotlanta on the way down on the 6th and it was bad! We drove around on the way back on the 17th and it was fine. Avoid the headaches and go the I-285 route and take the west loop, it is usually better as you do not go thru the 285/85 funnel.

This is for this weekend (Friday June 27-Monday June 30). Please be careful and if you can take 285.

From Creative Loafing:

This weekend will be the perfect time for you to finally set up that easel in the middle of a busy interstate and start painting the skyline.

Starting Friday at 9 p.m. and lasting until Monday morning, the DOT will close northbound and southbound lanes on I-75/85 to resurface the road between University Avenue and 10th Street. That means both your traffic and the cars traveling in the other direction will sputter rather than speed.

Six southbound exit ramps and four northbound exit ramps will be closed. The I-20 access ramps may be limited to one lane.

Avoid this area. Heed my words. On I-85 southbound, gridlock caused by this resurfacing backs up all the way to North Druid Hills Road. And it’s stop and go at best when it’s not hurry-up-and-wait.

If you can, take public transit to get where you need to go, or consider using I-285. The trip may take just as long, but at least you’ll be moving, your car won’t be idling, and you won’t get frustrated by the people driving illegally down the shoulder.

And if you do decide to brave the interstate, use caution. There’s already been one DOT worker killed during the project.

OK- question for everyone. I am driving from Baltimore, Md. to Atlanta on Saturday- we are going to the Georgia Aquarium, and staying across the street at the Embassy Suites. Then the next day we are driving down to Auburn Al., will we have issues on any of the roads? Any alternate suggestions, I am used to driving in gridlock traffic(Baltimore and DC areas are a mess), but am unfamiliar with the area.

OK- question for everyone. I am driving from Baltimore, Md. to Atlanta on Saturday- we are going to the Georgia Aquarium, and staying across the street at the Embassy Suites. Then the next day we are driving down to Auburn Al., will we have issues on any of the roads? Any alternate suggestions, I am used to driving in gridlock traffic(Baltimore and DC areas are a mess), but am unfamiliar with the area.

Good Luck! Be sure to bring your GPS unit. Downtown will be a mess due to the paving project which will close lanes in both directions as well as many exit/entrance ramps.

Thanks for stopping in Atlanta and visiting! The Aquarium is spectacular!

Sorry never been to Baltimore, do you coming down I-75? Depending on when you come through it might not be too bad.

If it is bad and your coming down I-75, you can get off at Northside Dr. (I think its exit 252) and take a right onto Northside. You'll go through red lights at 17th street, 14th street, 10th street. After 10th street Northside will split - Northside Dr goes to the right and Tech Pkwy goes to the left. Stay left on Tech Pkwy and this becomes Luckie St after you cross over North Ave. Luckie St. will take you along side the Georgia Aquarium. This will at least prevent you from the I-75 I-85 merge and where the construction starts.

If you want to see a map, go to google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl and enter this address
225 Baker St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
You'll see Luckie St. to the left of the red marker. Just click and drag the map to where you can follow Luckie street towards the North then west.

Hope this helps.

Sorry never been to Baltimore, do you coming down I-75? Depending on when you come through it might not be too bad.

If it is bad and your coming down I-75, you can get off at Northside Dr. (I think its exit 252) and take a right onto Northside. You'll go through red lights at 17th street, 14th street, 10th street. After 10th street Northside will split - Northside Dr goes to the right and Tech Pkwy goes to the left. Stay left on Tech Pkwy and this becomes Luckie St after you cross over North Ave. Luckie St. will take you along side the Georgia Aquarium. This will at least prevent you from the I-75 I-85 merge and where the construction starts.

If you want to see a map, go to google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl and enter this address
225 Baker St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
You'll see Luckie St. to the left of the red marker. Just click and drag the map to where you can follow Luckie street towards the North then west.

Hope this helps.

We are coming down I 85, and we went out last night and bought a GPS!! :banana: :banana: I know that will help. Any more advice would be appreciated- we are leaving at 7am- tomoroow morning.:goodvibes

I live in Alabama. The best way to get to I75 from I65 is to get off in Birmingham. Then get on US highway 280. It changes into 520 in GA and it runs directly into I75 in Tifton. This is going to be a lot quicker than going all they way down to Montgomery and then having to backtrack up to 75.

BTW 280 is a really quiet road (hardly anybody compared to 75). You will have to go 65 or 70 but it will still be quicker than going through Montgomery.

What's the best way to go through Birmingham and hook up with 280?

I plan on going through downtown atlanta on sunday july 20 at around 7:30am. Yesterday I looked at the Georgia navigator sight at 7:30 am and evn with the lanes closed for construction the was no congestion at that early time of the morning. So hopefully in three weeks when I need to go through it will be the same way.

I was doing a Google search on the best way through Atlanta and found my way back to my favorite place, the DIS. :lmao: Should have looked her first huh? ;)

Anyway, can someone tell me if all this mess will be cleaned up by the end of August?

If so, what lane, other than the HOV, would be the best for me to stay in to avoid having to change lanes in heavy traffic?

If not, what might be the easiest way around Atlanta without a whole lot of getting on and off ramps, my weak driving skill?

Thank you so much for any help.

Slightly Goofy

I was doing a Google search on the best way through Atlanta and found my way back to my favorite place, the DIS. :lmao: Should have looked her first huh? ;)

Anyway, can someone tell me if all this mess will be cleaned up by the end of August?

If so, what lane, other than the HOV, would be the best for me to stay in to avoid having to change lanes in heavy traffic?

If not, what might be the easiest way around Atlanta without a whole lot of getting on and off ramps, my weak driving skill?

Thank you so much for any help.

Slightly Goofy

The repaving is going on until atleast Thanksgiving. If you're coming threw on Labor Day Weekend, they won't be doing any of the repaving as it's a holiday weekend.

The only ways around the traffic is to either take the "speedway of the south" 285 or just to get in the hov lane and go threw the traffic.

CharacterFan, thank you for the reply. Thank you to everyone else for the info too. :thumbsup2

I have often wondered why Atlanta does not have a bypass ala the Macon bypass? It serves no purpose to Atlanta to have all of us driving through as we are not too likely to hop off an exit to shop or something and would greatly decrease the congestion your streets as well as accidents by those of us who have no clue as to what we are doing.

I bet you could even make it a toll road and we would ALL be happy.

Does anyone know a back way around Atlanta, even if it takes a bit more time? Not too many changes as I get lost easily. :scared1:

I am coming from south of Indpls, 65 to 24 and then 75.

Thank you all. Slightly Goofy

CharacterFan, thank you for the reply. Thank you to everyone else for the info too. :thumbsup2

I have often wondered why Atlanta does not have a bypass ala the Macon bypass? It serves no purpose to Atlanta to have all of us driving through as we are not too likely to hop off an exit to shop or something and would greatly decrease the congestion your streets as well as accidents by those of us who have no clue as to what we are doing.

Does anyone know a back way around Atlanta, even if it takes a bit more time? Not too many changes as I get lost easily. :scared1:

285 is the by-pass, but if you wanted a non-freeway path I can't look at the map at find a great one, other then GA-13 which takes you right into the city.

CharacterFan, I done been there done that on 285 and as I have found with many bypasses, it worse than gritting your teeth and going straight through.

I love the Macon bypass because you do not even have to see the city. ;)

I did find an alternate route, I think. It is more mileage but better on the car than on me. :rotfl:

Might I ask your opinion on this?

Take 411W just past Adairsville to 27S thru Cedartown, Bremen, Carrolton, Newnan and Peach Tree City where I get back on 75 south of the city.

Thanks, Slightly Goofy

285 is our bypass and its not that bad esp. if you go 285 west from 75 south. It's the less travelled part of 285. The on ramp from 75 to 285 west is long and doesn't merge. It's stays as the right lane for 285. Just stay in the 2 right lanes and you'll be fine.

There is no other good way around atlanta without getting on tons of small streets that can be worse then 285 or the connector.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter