Better time to go - mid-June or mid-August?

Cameo

DIS Veteran
We finally are planning to go to DL next year instead of WDW. Would it be better to go in mid-June or mid-August?

I have never been in June. There are grad nights when the park closes early. Also, it gets busier right before APs are blocked out for the summer. Someone else can tell you more about June.
We always go in August. Yes, it's hot. Yes, it's crowded. But the hot is NOTHING like August in Florida. It's much more bearable. And the crowds are very easy to manage if you GET THERE EARLY and use fastpasses! It is so much easier to actually get to the gates before opening than it is at WDW.
When do you usually visit WDW? I have been there 2 times....both in August.

Like PP said, the middle of June is right before some of the APs are blocked out for the summer so it might be more crowded but the middle of August is when the blockouts are lifted so that might be crowded too. Since the crowds might be about the same, I would go with June just because of the chance of slightly cooler weather. But you never know with the weather. We were there a few weeks ago and it was warm but it was pleasant and not too hot. I just went for a few hours yesterday and it was SO hot and for some reason we had some humidity as well. It's usually not very humid here (espcially compared to WDW) but as we've seen this past week, it can get a little humid sometimes.

I have never been in June. There are grad nights when the park closes early. Also, it gets busier right before APs are blocked out for the summer. Someone else can tell you more about June.
We always go in August. Yes, it's hot. Yes, it's crowded. But the hot is NOTHING like August in Florida. It's much more bearable. And the crowds are very easy to manage if you GET THERE EARLY and use fastpasses! It is so much easier to actually get to the gates before opening than it is at WDW.
When do you usually visit WDW? I have been there 2 times....both in August.

Grad nights should be done by the first week of June. I'd definitely avoid the last couple of days before the So Cal APs get blocked out. This year they reached capacity on one of those days. Also in August, I'd avoid the first couple of days when the So Cal APs become open for use again.

I did June 5th through the 10th this june. You can check out my TR if you want. The link is in my sig. I had a great time, the park hours were at there max, only like one ride being refurbished, no grad nights. But the down side was there was no Electrical parade or F! We were a little early for that. But that may change next year, you never know. I recommend going in early june if you can. The weather was beautiful and the crowds were manageable for the most part if you park hopped.

We were on main street when they filmed the musical wedding proposal. It was all in all a good time.

there was a grad night on the 10th, Before I went home on my last trip I went to DTD and clearly remember seeing signs about it happening that night. So yes, they do go into the second week. I could be wrong but I think they generally happen on wednesdays and thursdays.

We tried mid June back in 1997 and since then have gone mid August. Works with our schedules better.

Jack

s.s. columbia - thanks!

We will be going home on Friday 8/14 so we will still be in the blackout. cool!

Like a lot of AP holders I plan on being there Sunday, the 15th. I upgraded my So Cal. Select in June (so I could go for "Free" on my birthday-I know, Disney Math :confused3) so now I can go on Sundays, which I love. :lovestruc Probably won't stay for the nighttime activities, plan on going back to see during the week. Going to get there early (pretend we are on vacation) grab FP and then leave when it gets crowded.

June is usually nicer weather. If you can go when the local APs aren't a factor, that's the time I would pick. I was there on the 2nd to the last day of the So Cal AP and it was crazy crowded! :crowded:

Like PP have said, it'll be hot in Aug. but nothing compared to WDW! It's a dry heat :sunny: (usually) Get there early, use FP. DL can get crazy crowded. I've been to WDW in Jan, April, June, Sept, and Dec. and have experienced nothing like the grid lock at DL after the FWs are over. :scared1:

Have fun no matter when you go. :wizard: Read all the hints you can. (Like eating at Whitewater Snacks at GC for a nice break in the day).

We usually go to DLR in July. This year we went from June 24th to July 1st. The first few days of our trip were the last days before the final Socal APs were blocked so it was very busy! Because we made good use of FPs we still never waited longer than 15 min for a ride. Except for Toy Story which had a lowest wait time of about 45 min. After they were blocked out, the parks were much less crowded and TSMM was down to a wait of 20-30 min.

Because in June you have grad night, socal APs, and not all shows up and running, I would go later in the summer. Next summer we will go in July or Aug. If you must go in June, then the very end of the month would be best.

The AP blockout issue may or may not be a big issue in summer 2010. There is a new blockbuster show opening at DCA next year which will draw in AP holders. However, it opens in March which will give some time before June for AP holders to see it. The worst effect for AP holders is when things open in June like this year and they all try to squeeze in a visit before the blockout. This can really increase crowds.

DLR tends to not start running a full summer schedule until the third week of June sometime. I would be hard pressed to recommend one over the other but personally would lean towards August.

I'm waiting to get more details about DL's 55th celebration and next year's D23 Expo before I make any definite plans for next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter