Better price? Book 17 months out or wait & book onboard at 12 months? UPDATE-post#5

PinballFamily

<font color=darkcoral>Yes, I have scrapping suppli
Anyone know? Is there any dis/advantage I'm not thinking of for either plan?

I know the onboard booking discount would be 10%...but don't know how much the advance rates typically change up or down.

We're going on our first DCL cruise in August, 2010 and plan to book either a Dream 5-night or a BtB (7-night total) for August 2011 while we're onboard.

I know we could always call and rebook if prices drop, etc., but...trying to save a little hassle!

Thanks so much!

The prices don't change based on time, they change based on how full the ship is. My suggestion--book now. THen, when you are on board, re-price the reservation with the onboard agent and decide whether you are better off booking that one or keeping what you have.

I have done this. In my case, I used a TA. THe onboard booking agent was able to e-mail the TA and get permission to "release the deposit" so that I didn't have to re-pay the deposit or cancel the original when I got back home. Others have reported having to cancel the original ressie when they arrived home.

The summer 2011 Dream cruises seem to be pretty popular, so I would also advise you to book now rather than wait until August.

The prices don't change based on time, they change based on how full the ship is.

Good point. It is probably lots safer to put the deposit(s) down now - we're used to planning/budgeting WAY ahead for vacations! - rather than miss out.

...especially since the deposit is refundable and we CAN check back to see if there's a better deal/CC discount being offered onboard...but at least we'll be booked by then.

Thanks - I really appreciate the advice from the pps!

Booked! Thanks for your help!

Decided to take the plunge (!) :laughing: and book the August, 2011 B2B cruises today - such a long time out...

The CM said that I could take my booking info on board this year and see if there's a better offer at that time that might drop the price (with an onboard booking discount).

So, we'll see, but at least I got the two cruises I want, two visits to Castaway Cay!, the cat/deck I want, and the same room for both cruises to make things easier and not have to worry about moving luggage.

I'm brand new to this board....and to cruising. We aren't going until 2012, probably fall, to celebrate my 50th birthday and my twin daughters' 16th birthday.....but I'm trying to learn all this lingo and the ins and outs, so I hope you don't mind my potentially silly questions, lol.

Are you saying that you can book your cruise now...put down 10% and then in August when you board the cruise they may have a better price because the ships not full and you'd get that better price? That's one of those "too good to be true" kind of ideas.....like booking a room at the Grand Flordian then arriving and having them tell you that the room is on sale and getting the sale price!

Or...have I totally misunderstood what you're talking about, lol????

I'm brand new to this board....and to cruising. We aren't going until 2012, probably fall, to celebrate my 50th birthday and my twin daughters' 16th birthday.....but I'm trying to learn all this lingo and the ins and outs, so I hope you don't mind my potentially silly questions, lol.

Are you saying that you can book your cruise now...put down 10% and then in August when you board the cruise they may have a better price because the ships not full and you'd get that better price? That's one of those "too good to be true" kind of ideas.....like booking a room at the Grand Flordian then arriving and having them tell you that the room is on sale and getting the sale price!

Or...have I totally misunderstood what you're talking about, lol????

First....WELCOME TO THE CRUISE BOARD!!! All your questions can be answered on these boards. We are a friendly group and love answering questions. Everyone contributes their wealth of knowledge of DCL and cruising!!!

To answer your question....no...the OP was talking about booking a cruise for the new Disney Dream in August of 2011 but is sailing on their first Disney cruise this August, 2010. When you book a cruise while you are on a cruise you get a 10% discount and an onboard credit for that future cruise. The OP is saying that he booked the 2011 cruise now but will "reshop" that cruise while onboard this summer and see if the 10% discount and onboard credit turns out to be a better deal for that 2011 cruise. If so, he can cancel the current future reservation and book a new reservation onboard to get the 10% and onboard credit.

Hope that makes sense....they did not mean if they show up for their cruise and the price dropped they would get the difference.

But, DCL is very good at refunding money if the price does go down before the paid in full date of a cruise. You have to be diligent on checking the cruise price and let them know if you see the price go down, which does happen occasionally.

MJ

Hey, welcome cruisingwithtwins! This is a great place to get all your questions answered by great people!!!:thumbsup2

Yes, thanks, mm37 did a great job summarizing our issue(s), We all love spending our $$$ on Disney vacations, but see no need to give them any more than we have to each time! (The savings roll over to the next trip - at least for us! :laughing:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter