Better day for Fantasmic?

Clare

Mouseketeer
We will be at WDW from Saturday, January 30 until Saturday, February 6. It looks like Fantasmic is only showing on Sunday and Thursday.

With only two showings for the week, I'm guessing the crowds for the show will be ridiculous. My question is: do you think one day would be less crowded than the other? And how early will we need to get there to have a seat?

Thanks?

I can't help you with a recommendation but wanted to bump your post up in case you got an answer.

We have the same question but we'll be there a couple weeks earlier than you. Our plan is to see Fantasmic on Thursday night. Hopefully that is the right day to pick.

1- My question is: do you think one day would be less crowded than the other?

2- And how early will we need to get there to have a seat?

1- Doubt it.

2-

We love Fantasmic!

Full of Disney characters, music, film clips, elaborate live "movie stunts," and amazing over-the-top special effects, performed right before your eyes.

The show runs nearly 30 minutes and there is somethong new to see the entire time.
-------------------------------------------

No one can predict exactly how large the crowds will be or how early you should go to find a seat for Fantasmic! on any given day.
It has totally to do with the whim of the crowd at DHS on that day, and the general crowd LEVELS.
How much time you wish to "invest" in waiting is a personal decision. We have never done the formal Dinner Package, and have always seen the show (dozens of times).

(Take all of these as "average" numbers, sometimes the crowd will be MUCH greater and the theater can fill up much sooner.)

VERY Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 75-120 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
45-60 minutes before: Outside seats likely still available.
30-40 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests.

Yes, the lines can start forming over 2 hours before the show-time.

At about 120 min. before show-time, they will open the gates and begin allowing guests in line to approach the theater seating.

(See my maps. It is a very long ramp.)

They will continue with the lines of guests walking in until the theater is completely filled or the show begins, whichever comes first.

They will "hold open" the Dining Pkg. seating area ONLY for guests who have the Dining Pkg. voucher.

BUT, if the theater is over-crowded (a very likely scenario in 2009)
then, at about 35 min. before show-time,
the CM's will cease holding the DP area open for DP voucher guests
and, at that time, begin to allow ANYONE
who still needs a seat to sit in (any seats left) the DP area.

Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 75-120 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
60 minutes before: Good seats
25-35 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests. (The crowd of "last-minute" arrivals can be slow to get seated before show-time.)

Off-Season (not busy days):
You should be OK to enter by 30-50 minutes before, but you'll likely be seated to the outer edges, and/or way at the back.

Dining Package:
New Dining Pkg. Entrance was added in mid-Sept. 2009.
If you do the Fantasmic! Dinner Pkg. you still SHOULD enter by AT LEAST 35-45 minutes ("safer" at 45 minutes) before show-time and still be guaranteed "pretty good" seats (not my "first choice" area, but fine), regardless of crowd-levels. Remember, the DP is only valid for the first show of the evening, if there are 2 or more. If you do have DP and you spy some seats outside the DP "reserved" area, you are free to choose to sit anywhere outside that area you like, no problem.

If there are TWO Fantasmic! shows in one evening, the second one will have lower crowd level than the first one. You can arrive a bit later (generally, 45-60 minutes) and still find a seat.
(Some say less advance time will be needed, but I'm cautious.)

Be aware that the second show waiting area will LOOK like the show is "too crowded".
That's because they HOLD the 2nd crowd outside the theater while the CMs CLEAN it after the first crowd has exited.

Then, they will let those waiting together in that big group IN... all at once, and there will be PLENTY of room.

(The theater seats over 7,000 guests.)

When you enter the theater, there will be CMs along the way directing the flow of traffic, but you may (if you are early enough to have a choice) simply choose any open seats in the theater to be your own.
If you want to exit more quickly, choose a seat farther back and to towards audience-right.
If you want to be immersed in the show (and sometimes, immersed in water-mist, if the wind is blowing "in") choose a seat towards the front.

We like to eat our evening meal while waiting for Fantasmic! to start.
You can bring in items from the counter-service places in DHS, or they DO have concession stands at the rear of the theater serving "baseball stadium-type" food and drinks. Yes, even beer, sold strictly ONE-at-a-time, one-only-to-a-person, so a single person can't go and buy beer for other members of a group... all guests wanting to buy a beer must be present in-person at the counter.
We have a hot dog, maybe a pretzel, later some popcorn or cotton candy (Disney Health Food).
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_fan.htm
Click above for the "menu."

But, nothing ALWAYS happens the same way at WDW.
I would be cautious about assuming anything, as WDW has been experiencing
unpredictable (sometimes record-breaking) crowds even over the past couple of years.

If its IMPORTANT to see a particular show, arriving a bit too early will be better than arriving a bit late.

If its not a really big deal to see a particular show, you may certainly arrive closer to show-time and just see if you get lucky.
Many folks do.

========================

DHS-Paths-F-092209.jpg

Fantasmic-BE-WS-List_092409.jpg

F_BE_CU_091809.jpg

That was the most thorough answer I've ever received on the DIS and THAT is saying something! Thank you very, very much!

I think we've decided on Sunday. We're having a late (3pm) lunch at Mama Melrose then we'll be ready for some ice cream while we wait for Fantasmic to start. We'll plan to get there 60-80 minutes early.

Again, thank you very much!

Be sure and keep checking your park hours and Fantasmic dates. They have recently added a ton of Fantasmic showings to the November schedule.

We are doing all our booking through Dreams Unlimited and the consultant allocated to us said this:

"I would COMPLETELY advise against the Fantasmic Dinner package. First of all, you’ll be eating a late lunch/early dinner at about 3pm. Second, Disney has modified the package. Guests on the package no longer have a special entrance- which means you now have to wait in line with everyone else. Further, there is NO reserved seating. Which means if you’re towards the end of the line, you may not even get in."

So we haven't booked the dining package. We will be at WDW 17-28th Jan and l think Fantasmic is only on a few times while we are there.

Kylie

Be sure and keep checking your park hours and Fantasmic dates. They have recently added a ton of Fantasmic showings to the November schedule.

I was about to say the same thing. I purposely picked my DHS day to avoid Fantasmic. Guess what, I leave in less than 2 weeks and a few days ago they added not one but TWO Fantasmic showings. In fact, there is no way to avoid it because it is available every day of my trip but one - that's the day of crowd level 7 AND morning EMH. :confused3

1- Guests on the package no longer have a special entrance- which means you now have to wait in line with everyone else.

2- Further, there is NO reserved seating. Which means if you’re towards the end of the line, you may not even get in."

1- That's not true.
My maps show the route.
The new special Dining Package entrance and route were just instigated within the past couple of months.

2- There is absolutely reserved seating.
It is, however, not held past a certain time.
If the theater is getting full, about 30 minutes before
show-time, any remaining seats in the reserved area
will be turned over to general admission guests.

Where is the most reliable place to check to see if showtimes had been added?

Wow, Robo! Thanks for all the info.

I know in April there wasn't a separate entrance for the DP and it was a mess. I think that it has been re-instituted due to all the negative feedback. If anyone out there has gone in the last few weeks, please verify this.

We're skipping Fantasmic! on our next trip. It scared DS#2 and really took a big chunk out of our day because even w/ the DP we had to line up 90 minutes early. That on top of a horrible dinner at H&V nearly ruined our DHS day.

If they add a show while we are there and the park isn't too busy I might think about seeing it but as of now, we are not.

I just booked the package for the Brown Derby for Jan. 24th. The CM I spoke with told me to enter at the special enterance off of Sunset Blvd. She said to be there 45 mins. early. We have always done the package just for the reserved seating. Our seats have always been great.

Can't predict what you will find when you get there, but we were at the second (9:00) Fantasmic show last Thursday and the ampitheater was maybe a little more than 2/3 full. We arrived about 30 minutes before show time and we sat in the middle section of the ampitheater, probably somewhere between the 10-15th row. There were still seats open in the rows ahead of us.

That was the most thorough answer I've ever received on the DIS and THAT is saying something! Thank you very, very much!

I think we've decided on Sunday. We're having a late (3pm) lunch at Mama Melrose then we'll be ready for some ice cream while we wait for Fantasmic to start. We'll plan to get there 60-80 minutes early.

Again, thank you very much!

We'll be there the same week, and also plan to go to Fantasmic on Sunday! We're going to Mama Melrose for dinner at 4 for an early dinner. Have a great trip!

They just added more December shows today too. Week of Dec 13 got several. Week of Dec 6 added a Friday show so its now Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat.

We are there the same week as OP. We are booked with the F! package at H&V for Thursday 2/4. Dinner at 5 pm (requested last possible seating on the first day ADRs opened) and show is at 7 pm that night. First time seeing F! and with a 2.5 yo and 4.5 yo we figured a 2 hour wait in line would not go over well - so we opted for the dining package.

We planning on spending the day elsewhere and avoiding the F! crowds in the park that day - since there is currently only 2 F! shows that week. We also considered the sunday show, but it wasn't fitting into our park touring schedule very well.

Have a great trip.
Val.

Do people get all fussy when you try and save seats? I don't want my DD and DH to have to sit and wait, but I want good seats. I figured that I could go early. I only need two extra seats.

Hey Clare!

My family & I will be there the exact same time! We have been going for the last 3 years at this time and LOVE it!

We are planning to go to the Sunday showing of F! My girls always enjoy it.

Have a great time!

Do people get all fussy when you try and save seats? I don't want my DD and DH to have to sit and wait, but I want good seats. I figured that I could go early. I only need two extra seats.

Well when I was there in April I know that saving seats would not have gone over well and that your family would have risked being turned away with you waiting inside. You all need to get there together and wait. Once in the amphitheater, kids can go potty if needed or you can get snacks or walk around a little.

Saving seats, no matter how few, is not recommended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter